ENVIROMENT AND AMENITIES COMMITTEE

Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 12th May in the Sports Club Pavilion, High Street car park at 7:30 pm.

 

PRESENT: 

Cllr L Wilson (Chairman) Cllrs B Miller,  A Bush, M Colvey, K Norris, J Taylor and I Maitland.

 

No members of the public were present.

 

  1. APOLOGIES.  Cllr J Dyball.  Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk.)

 

  1. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION.  There was none.

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST, AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

 

  1. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 3RD MARCH 2014. It was resolved to accept the minutes as a true record and they were signed by the Chairman.

 

  1. MATTERS ARISING AND ACTON POINT UPDATE.

The following comments on matters arising from the last E&A Committee meeting were provided.

Minute 6, 7 July 2011. Recreation Ground. Millennium viewpoint plaque. Ongoing.

Minute 6, 4th November 2013. Rocket Park fencing.  Ongoing.

Minute6, 6th January 2014.  MUGA Path Lighting. Cllr Colvey stated he was going to have a meeting with the Secretary of the Sports Club, however due to the prohibitive cost the lights would probably be restored rather than installing new ones.  Action. Cllr Colvey.

Minute 8, 6th January 29 2014. Review of Burial Records.  Completed.

Minute 1, 12th May 2014. Memorial Green.  Cllr Taylor reported that he had received an e-mail from Angela McTiernan from the Heritage Lottery Fund  stating that the project to renovate the Memorial Wall and build a Remembrance garden would not as it stands be eligible for funding. HLF only funds projects which are part of a programme of wider heritage activities, which generally speaking are educational and include involving schools and local history groups.   Cllr Wilson commented that the PC does not at present have the resources to commit to such a large project. Action. To shelve project at present time.

Minute 2, 12th May 2014. Hedges and Ditches. Cllr Talbot had been tasked with liaising with DCC Highways regarding ditches needing clearance.  Cllrs had passed on details of such ditches to Cllr Talbot, but it was unclear if this information had reached DCC Highways. Action. Cllrs to report individually.

Minute 3, 12th May 2014.  Foxhills Open Space. Cllr Norris reported that he would provide an update on the ongoing ‘dogs’ project in due course. Action.  Cllr Norris.

 

  1. ROYAL BRITISH LEGION CLUB PREMISES – UPDATE.

Cllr Miller reported that he had been trying to establish the future of the RBL hall now that it was closed.  He had ascertained that the building was not going to re-open and that the RBL had no interest in the premises.  They had tried to contact the land owner, a Mr Mason, but he was believed to be deceased, and it was not clear whether the Mason family owned the land or the building.  Cllr Miller proposed forming a working party of volunteers with a view to investigating the viability of  using the premises as a Community Centre. Cllr Norris suggested that initially the PC should seek an interview with the family’s solicitor to establish what the legal position was.

RECOMMENDATION.   Form a working group run by Cllr Miller and comprising of members of the PC and outside volunteers with a view to establishing whether the premises could be used as a community centre for the village,

Cllrs Miller and Norris to seek interview with family’s Solicitors.

 

  1. OPEN SPACES.

The following items were discussed.

Recreation ground/car park.  The FIT plaque needed to be fitted as a matter of urgency before the Village Fayre the following weekend,  If Terry Homer was unable to do this, then Cllr Bush volunteered to fit the plaque on Wednesday.

Row Park Paddock. Nothing to report.

Allotments. The PC was still awaiting quotes for removing the rubble from the entrance of the car parking area.  There was a discussion about removing the signs the Allotment Society had placed around the allotments and replacing them with Parish Council signs. Cllr Norris suggested that once the work on the open areas had been completed, the PC should either write to all the allotment holders or invite them to a meeting, in order to address any concerns they may have and remind them of the PC ‘s responsibilities.

RECOMMENDATION.   That after Mr Warr had completed his work to review the signs and replace them if necessary.

To either write to all the allotment holders or else invite them to a meeting in order for the Parish Council to ‘set out it’s stall’ and emphasise it’s responsibilities and to allay any concerns allotment holders may have.

Library Walk. Nothing to report.

Memorial Green/War Memorial. Nothing to report.

Cemetery.  The Parish Clerk had received a phone call from a member of the public expressing concern over heavy rain flooding graves, specifically his wife’s grave.  Unfortunately there was no solution to the problem other than by building a ‘false’ grave or trench.

Cllr Taylor reported that the gate from the cemetery to Church Walk needed repairing.

There was a discussion about the state of the wall between the Church and the cemetery and who was responsible for the upkeep.  Action.  Liaise with the Parish Clerk.

Club Hall. Nothing to report.

Hedges and Ditches. Nothing to report

Foxhills Open Space. The handrail was in need of replacement.  Paul Fay had given an estimate of £450 incl. VAT and could do the work the following week.

With regard to fly tipping Cllr Maitland reported that he would liaise with Adam Clay.

RECOMMENDATION.   That the handrail be replaced at a cost of £450.

MUGA. Nothing to report..

Village centre project.  Nothing to report.

Footpaths. No further action to date.

Other open spaces.  Nothing to report.

 

  1. CORRESPONDENCE. 

There was none.

 

  1. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION.

Cllr Wilson announced that the Dorset Waste Partnership had decided that that they were going to stop servicing dog bins and that they would veto any requests to install new ones.  This led to a discussion about the practicalities of removing dog waste

It was decided to set a date for a further litter picking session at the next Environment and Amenities meeting.

 

The meeting closed at 9.10pm.