FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE of Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Meeting held on Wednesday June 13th 2018, at 7.00 p.m. in the Village Hall, Lytchett Matravers

PRESENT: M Colvey, B Barker, A Cottman, A Huggins, R Carswell, J Taylor, R Watts, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk)

One member of the public and two officers from Purbeck District Council were also present.

Public participation. There was none.

Purbeck District Council officers Karen Graham (Community safety officer) and Greg Smith (Anti-social Behaviour Reduction Officer) introduced themselves; explaining that both have a wide brief and some overlap between their roles. They also explained that in recent years they no longer have access to any Home Office funding or any dedicated budget from PDC – and therefore their activities are focused on partnership working with other local agencies such as the police and community organisations. On a day-to-day basis the priorities for action by each partnership are agreed at regular meetings and encapsulated in agreed action plans. With regard to antisocial behaviour, it was explained that there has been some redefinition of what constitutes antisocial behaviour; and they pointed out that the source of such problems is not limited to young people. Emphasis of the partnership approach is on prevention and early intervention – based on a traffic light system involving escalating warning letters which may ultimately lead individuals into the criminal justice system, resulting in a Criminal Behaviour Order or Court Injunction. However, it was explained that Antisocial Behaviour is treated as a civil rather than criminal offence.

Regarding the specific problem around Lytchett Matravers library which had led to Ms. Graham and Mr. Smith invitation to this meeting, they asked for details and confirmed that it would be taken up at the next area meeting as a priority for action – with a view to initiating a crime prevention initiative. They also noted the ongoing problem of vandalism at the recreation ground and children’s play area. They asked for details of the costs associated with this damage over the last two years or so. Action: Parish Clerk to undertake analysis of and provide the PDC officers with this detail.

Ms. Graham offered to prepare an article which may be inserted into local community publications. The article is intended to raise awareness amongst members of the community about their role and to advise how incidents can be reported. Ms. Graham and Mr. Smith also drew attention to the simplified mechanism for reporting problems to the police using a new online reporting system at https://www.dorset.police.uk/do-it-online/

In the absence of Cllr Wood, Cllr Carswell took the chair. The acting Chairman explained that in consultation with the Parish Clerk, he had decided to defer the following scheduled agenda items as follows:

· Items 2, 3, 4 and 5 deferred until the July F&GP Cttee meeting, due to there being no formal nominations in advance of the meeting for the posts of Chair and Vice Chair of the Finance & General Purposes Committee, and three Council members were absent.

· Item 13 (planning application 6/2018/0194 Miss Wendy Meaden. Plough Point Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erection of agricultural barn and adjacent farm building). Deferred to the Full Council meeting on 27th June, due to short notice extension of the consultation period by PDC Planning.

· Item 19 (planning application 6/2018/0287. Nest Homes. Land adjacent to Wessex Water Reservoir, Purbeck Road, Lytchett Matravers. Construction of 25 dwellings and associated access, car parking and landscaping). Deferred to the Full Council meeting on 27th June, to enable residents more time to become aware of this item and attend the Parish Council meeting if they so wish.

1. APOLOGIES. Cllrs A Bush, K Norris, and C Wood.

2. To elect the Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.

See above; item deferred to July F&GP Cttee meeting.

3. To receive the acceptance of office for the Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.

See above; item deferred to July F&GP Cttee meeting.

4. To elect the Vice-Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.

See above; item deferred to July F&GP Cttee meeting.

5. To receive the acceptance of office for the Vice-Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.

See above; item deferred to July F&GP Cttee meeting.

6. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest; and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

Cllr Webb declared an interest in item 11 (planning application 6/2018/0216) as his property neighbours Bennic Farm. He took no part in discussing this item.

7. To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 9th May 2018. These were ACCEPTED as a true record and signed by the meeting Chairman.

8. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters. The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]

i. F&P Cttee Minute 12, 6th June 2011. Security of council papers & records. One Council minute book is still with Cllr Bush, who is currently making an electronic copy. Cllr K. Norris proposed that Cllr Bush be asked to return the minute book a soon as possible asthe Council had resolved to have it archived.

ii. F&P Cttee Minute 6, 9th Oct 2017 – To consider a proposal to write off Sports Club currently outstanding debt for Lytchett Astro repairs. It was noted that the current level of Sports Club income will not cover this and so it was resolved to review the issue again at a later date. Carried forward.

iii. E&A Cttee Minute 10, 8th May 2017: Outstanding risk assessments: Members to note that the following Risk assessments for 2016/17 are still outstanding: Old School Green….Cllr Taylor, Club Hall….Cllr Wood. It was agreed that if the risk assessments have not been completed then the outstanding reports should be re-assigned at the next F&GP Committee meeting. Refer to the next F&GP Committee meeting.

iv. E&A Cttee minute 5.4 6th Nov 2017 Old School Green / War Memorial. The Parish Clerk has again contacted Mr Mills to remind him about the task to arrange for soil to be delivered to fill the depression in the ground. Carried forward

v. F&GP Cttee minute 19, 14th March 2018 – making good the area around the new bus shelter in Wareham Rd. The Parish Clerk contacted the local groundworks / gardening contractor accordingly and has agreed the remedial works within the de-minimus limit set out in Finance Reg 11.1.These had been completed but in a recent informal contact with a council member, the manager of the playgroup had made it known that she feels more work may be required.Due to the extent of the bund approximately two car parking spaces have been lost. It was agreed that if the playgroup would provide a skip then Councillors were willing to spend a Saturday morning removing sufficient soil to clear the parking spaces. However it was considered that Cllr. Colvey should contact Cllr C. Wood in the first instance in case she has any further information regarding the loss of spaces. Action – Cllr M. Colvey to discuss this with Cllr Wood accordingly.

vi. F&GP Cttee Minute 11, 11th April 2018 –updating Earmarked Reserves record with latest valuation of the investment with Prudential International. Cllr Bush indicated that he would update this statement accordingly. This work has now been completed and passed to the Internal Auditor.

vii. Planning application responses sent to PDC:

Planning application 6/2018/0063 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Ltd & Morrish Builders. Land at Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers. Erection of 46 dwellings (including affordable homes), new vehicular access via Huntick Road, associated landscaping, drainage & all other development works. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application. Despite the Clerk’s written chasers to PDC Planning, they have still not yet responded to the Council’s request to begin discussions with both parties regarding the amenity aspects, or to its comment that the Parish Council would like to ensure that the developers speak to Andrew Bradley, DCC Highways Engineer, to ensure that the plans to provide the cycle way are incorporated into the development proposal.

Planning Application 6/2018/0140. Mr A. Cozens, Caroline Cottage, Prospect Road, Lytchett Matravers. Variation of condition 2 of planning permission 6/2016/0721 (subdivide plot and erect single dwelling in front garden of existing cottage and single dwelling in rear garden of existing cottage with new access from Prospect Road and associated car parking) to replace window with doors on North elevation and remove door from East elevation of the dwelling in the front garden. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.

Planning Application 6/2018/0155. Dr Anne Brown, Hopmans Farmhouse, 77 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole BH16 6BJ. Replace front door. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.

Planning Application 6/2018/0189. Mr B. Gosling, 126 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Erect two dormer windows to form habitable roof space. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.

Planning Application 6/2018/0212. Mr M. Lister, Quarr Farmhouse, Halls Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EP. Internal alterations to form WC & cupboard plus install airbrick. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.

9. To receive and note the 2018/2019 YEAR to date bank reconciliation.

A copy of the bank reconciliation and related bank statements is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this.

10. To receive and consider a report covering 2018/19 year to date FULL YEAR 2017/18 council income and expenditure. The report having been circulated to all members. The report having been circulated to all members it was RESOLVED to accept and approve this.

11. To consider planning application 6/2018/0216 Mr M Nuttall & Mrs C Stockton. Bennic Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HP. Conversion of existing barn to a dwelling and demolition of 2 additional barns. NO OBJECTION

12. To consider planning application 6/2018/0210 Mr Neville Logan. Land off Foxhills Road, Foxhills Road, Lytchett Matravers. Installation of a container to provide secure storage of equipment and a self contained toilet. OBJECTION, on the grounds that this is inappropriate in the greenbelt.

13. To consider planning application 6/2018/0194 Miss Wendy Meaden. Plough Point Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erection of agricultural barn and adjacent farm building. RESOLVED to defer to Full Council meeting on 27th June.

14. To consider planning application 6/2018/0209 Mr Paul Biggs. Fair View, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HH. Raise part of roof, proposed rear extension at upper ground floor level, rear terrace and external remodelling. NO OBJECTION

15. To consider planning application 6/2018/0252 Mr Andrew Hill. 1 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BG. Form a dropped kerb & vehicular access to property from the High Street. Installation of gates for new vehicular access. Install replacement and some new fencing. OBJECTION on safety grounds on the basis that this is positioned too close to the busy and dangerous road junction. The Council requests that DCC Highways are asked to consider this detail in the light of the history of traffic incidents and collisions on or near this junction.

16. To Consider planning application 6/2018/0245 Mr Kevin Gurr, Sunnyside Farm Wimborne Road Lytchett Matravers BH16 6HQ. Replace existing garage. NO OBJECTION

17. To consider planning application 6/2018/0189 (revised proposal). 126 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Erect two double dormer windows to form habitable roof space. (Position of dormers changed) NO OBJECTION

18. To consider planning application 6/2018/0295. Mr Hector Hickmott. 10 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DP. Single storey side and rear extensions. NO OBJECTION

19. To consider planning application 6/2018/0287. Nest Homes. Land adjacent to Wessex Water Reservoir, Purbeck Road, Lytchett Matravers. Construction of 25 dwellings and associated access, car parking and landscaping. RESOLVED to defer to Full Council meeting on 27th June.

20. To consider planning application 6/2018/0297. Mrs H Campbell. 8 Purbeck Close, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DE. Raise roof to form first floor accommodation with first floor window in front elevation, balcony on rear elevation, dormer on side (east) elevation and rooflights. Rear extension and porch canopy on side (west) elevation. NO OBJECTION

21. To consider planning application 6/2018/0282. Mr & Mrs David Shortis. Little Garth, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erect outbuilding & construct proposed access road to outbuilding. NO OBJECTION

22. To receive and approve the 2017/18 year end internal audit.

The Parish Clerk explained that the year-end internal audit had not yet been completed by the Internal Auditor.

23. To receive and approve the 2017/18 year end accounting statements.

The Parish Clerk explained that due to the year end internal audit not yet being completed by Internal Auditor, it was not possible to complete the 2017/18 year end accounting statements which are dependent upon it.

24. To receive and approve the 2018 Annual Return to the external auditors.

The Parish Clerk explained that due to the year end internal audit and accounting statements not yet being completed by Internal Auditor, it was not possible to complete the 2017/18 Annual Return, which is dependent upon the other two documents.

25. Receive and consider recommendations for replacement of benches and house standard bench model and policy.

The quotations for this work were reviewed and it was RESOLVED to accept the quotation from The Plastics Company of Totnes, Devon for supply of the 3 benches; and to accept the quotation from Poole Business Services to have them delivered to their depot, transport them to site and to install them.

It was clarified that one of the benches will be installed on the vacant concrete base near the Scout Hut, and the other two will replace existing dilapidated benches on the western side of the sports pitches at the Recreation Ground.

It was further RESOLVED that this style and model of bench will become the Council’s “house” style and thus this constitutes its policy for future provision.

26. Receive recommendation for refurbishment of 2 Landers Reach roundabouts.

The quotations for this work were reviewed and it was RESOLVED to accept the quotation from Poole Business Services. Action: Parish Clerk to place the order accordingly.

27. To receive and consider the content of reports from the leader of the Working Groups as follows:

Neighbourhood Plan – Nothing further to report.

Youth Hall – a copy of the report prepared by Cllr Bush is attached at appendix 2 to these minutes.

Library – Awaiting details of running costs.

High Street Shared Space – Nothing further to report.

Rec. Path – Nothing further to report.

Rec. Pavilions – No report.

Eldons Drove Lane – No Report.

New Sports Field – No report.

Huntick Road Cycleway – Nothing further to report.

Sports Club Governance – Cllr Webb reported that following the cancellation of the lease between the Parish Council and the Sports Club, the remaining Sports Club officials are preparing a new constitution and statement of governance, which will include specific attention on the interface between the club and the Parish Council. A significant amount of work is also in hand to address the immediate repair and maintenance needs at the pavilion. A new youth football club has been established in the village, the table tennis club is continuing its membership and to use the premises, and there are plans to form a new adult football club. It is hoped that the conditions of the playing fields can be improved sufficiently that it may be possible to reintroduce cricket by next year.

Progress towards SiLCA – Nothing to report.

House style benches – Cllr Huggins provided a report with recommendation, as discussed in minute 25 above.

Bollards at Recreation Ground Cllr Huggins reported that he is preparing a specification which can be used to obtain additional quotes for these.

28. To consider a proposal of items for inclusion in the next article for the Parish Magazine. It was agreed to include an article about the issues related to the Wareham Rd safe crossing, and, if space allows, an article from the PDC Community Safety / Antisocial Behaviour Reduction Officers on their roles.

29. To note correspondence received.

Cllr Watts reported on two matters arising from recent correspondence with PDC. He and Cllr Colvey had attended a meeting with Mr Steve Boyt of Purbeck District Council on 31st May to discuss aspects of the Purbeck Local Plan relevant to the village. This was the first of 3 meetings to be held. The topics discussed at this meeting were firstly the request from LMPC to PDC to protect a number of Open Green Spaces in the village by designating them as Local Green Spaces. Mr Boyt is consulting with various of his colleagues on this matter. His initial view is some of the spaces identified by LMPC appeared to be what in planning terms is called “land left over from development”, rather than having any special characteristics that would justify designating them as Local Green Space. The second topic discussed related to small development sites around Lytchett Matravers where development required some form of mitigation to protect European sites. LMPC have submitted a proposal to PDC that for all such sites a second tier of CIL should be levied, with the money raised to be used by LMPC to develop footpaths and cycleways around the village. PDC are consulting with various parties on this proposal, including Natural England.

Cllr Watts had also attended a briefing session in Westport House, Wareham organised by the Local Government Boundary Commission on 12th June to advise members of Town and Parish Councils about a review to be carried out of proposals submitted by the Dorset Joint Committees setting out new ward boundaries which would be used for Local Government elections to be held in May 2019. The proposals were for 82 new wards, with an average population (of people of voting age) of 3757. The ward for Lytchett Matravers included Morden and Bloxworth. The Boundary Commission will be publishing the details of their review on 3rd July, which would mark the start of an 8 week public consultation.

The Parish Clerk reported on two items of correspondence received:

  • A letter from Poole Business Services confirming that they had completed the most recent repairs to the fence to Rocket Park play area which had been vandalised during the recent school half term break
  • A letter from a resident wishing to express his support for the safe crossing of Wareham Rd

Meeting closed at 21.20

Annotated by/on …………………………. Approved by/on ………………………