FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE of Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Meeting held on Wednesday March 14th 2018, at 7.00 p.m. in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall, High St, Lytchett Matravers

PRESENT:, C Wood (chair), R Carswell, A Cottman M Colvey, A Huggins, P Webb (from 8pm), and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk)

No members of the public were in attendance.

Public participation. There was none

1. APOLOGIES. Cllr A Bush, B Barker, K Norris, R Watts,

2. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest; and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

3. To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 7th February 2018. These were ACCEPTED as a true record and signed by the Committee Chairman.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters. The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]

i. F&P Cttee Minute 12, 6th June 2011. Security of council papers & records. One Council minute book is still with Cllr Bush, who is currently making an electronic copy. Carried forward.

ii. F&P Cttee Minute 6, 9th Oct 2017 – To consider a proposal to write off Sports Club currently outstanding debt for Lytchett Astro repairs. This had been approved at Full Council in September 2017, subject to confirmation that the Sports Club would take on the annual maintenance contract for the Lytchett Astro pitch with effect from the renewal date in December. This item therefore refers to that confirmation aspect only. Members to note that the Parish Clerk has clarified with Replay Maintenance Ltd that the current arrangement is a 3 year contract. However, it is payable half yearly and if required they can change the invoicing to direct these to the Sports Club.

iii. E&A Cttee Minute 10, 8th May 2017: Outstanding risk assessments: Members to note please that the following Risk assessments for 2016/17 are still outstanding: Old School Green….Cllr Taylor, Club Hall….Cllr Wood. Cllr Wood reported that she had to re-schedule this task. Carried forward.

iv. E&A Cttee Minute 6, 4th September 2017 – arrange for Mr Mills to remove the Ivy on the line of trees between the Library and Library Walk. This matter has been further extended to incorporate topsoil landscaping and sowing with grass seed. It was reported at the March meeting that the topsoil would be delivered toward the end of the month. In the meantime it was also noted that there have been a very positive reaction from residents to this initiative. A suggestion of using this area to locate a Christmas tree each December was noted and it was agreed to seek community views on this at the forthcoming Annual Parish Meeting.

v. E&A Cttee Minute 5.1(i), 6th Nov 2017 Sports club pavilion minor building work proposal This work to block up the doorway on the eastern side of the Pavilion has evidently been undertaken, but without any formal proposal to do so being put forward for Council consideration. As a reminder, this proposal should have received formal ratification of the Sports Club Committee and then been sent to the Parish Council for consultation. The purpose of it was to create an internal bin store, but members should note that further complaints were received in Nov / Dec after the work had been done regarding fly tipping alongside the Sports Club’s bin which is still being left outside. The Parish Clerk has referred these to the Sports Club Chairman on each occasion with a request to keep the bin inside, but no response has been received to the messages sent to the SC Chair about this. Carried forward

vi. E&A Cttee minute 5.4 6th Nov 2017 Old School Green / War Memorial. The Parish Clerk has again contacted Mr Mills to remind him about the task to arrange for soil to be delivered to fill the depression in the ground. Carried forward

vii. F&GP Cttee minute 15, 7 Feb 2018 – Library WG: invitation to Alex Clothier of the coastline community fund, to be invited to attend a meeting of the committee to advise on whether grant funding may be available from this fund. Cllr Colvey reported that he had left a voicemail from Mr Clothier on this matter on 14th March. A response is awaited.

viii. Planning application responses sent to PDC and reported as “not yet determined” by PDC at the November LMPC Planning Committee meeting:

6/2017/0664. Nicholas Rubenstein. Plots 1 and 2, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HH. Variation of condition 2 of planning permission 6/2016/0345(Demolish existing house and erect 2 new dwellings) to retain 2 surfaced parking spaces per dwelling and amended landscaping scheme. The members noted this request for a variation of condition 2 to planning permission given under 6/2016/0345, and wished to advise PDC that they welcomed the two car parking spaces. However they were concerned about the issue raised by nearby residents regarding possible encroachment beyond the established property boundaries. The Parish Clerk was asked to report the above to PDC and to ask if this matter can be clarified and the Council advised of their findings. Members noted that PASS shows that PDC has refused this application.They also noted with interest the correspondence between Mr K Morgan and Planning Officer Cari Wooldridge regarding disclosure of this lack of compliance with Planning Condition when any “searches” are received by PDC on behalf of prospective purchasers.

Planning Application 6/2018/0015 Alex O’Sullivan. 14 Gibbs Green, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6ND. First floor addition to existing ground floor extension. PASS shows that PDC has approved this application.A letter was sent to PDC Planning drawing the Planning Authority’s attention to a potential nuisance caused by a window overlooking a neighbouring property, and wished to suggest that this is glazed with obscured glass.

Planning Application 6/2018/0038 and 6/2018/0039 (listed building consent) Alf & Raili Bush. The Shooting Box, Middle Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HJ. Proposed demolition of southern extension and rebuilding to a larger size. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined these applications.

Planning application 6/2018/0061 Mr & Mrs James Sydenham. 9 Chequers Place, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BJ. Single storey rear extension (considered at Feb Full Council meeting). PASS shows no status for this application, thus taken as “not yet determined”.

Planning application 6/2018/0064 Mr Jon Tedds & Mrs Rachel Campbell. 41 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BH. Erect a 2 storey side extension (considered at Feb Full Council meeting). PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.

5. To receive and note the latest bank reconciliation.

RESOLVED.A copy of the bank reconciliation and related bank statements is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

6. To receive and consider a report covering council income and expenditure to date. RESOLVED. This is also covered in summary form within Appendix 1. The Parish Clerk commented on levels of income and expenditure in comparison with budget and as near to an equivalent period last year. He drew attention to the exceptional items of expenditure in both years and demonstrated that when these are removed the underlying running rates are very close.

7. To consider planning application 6/2018/0082 Mrs Goretti Quinn-Bagley. 22 Glebe Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EH. Erect a side extension. NO OBJECTION.

8. To consider planning application 6/2018/0063 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Ltd & Morrish Builders. Land at Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers. Erection of 46 dwellings (including affordable homes), new vehicular access via Huntick Road, associated landscaping, drainage & all other development works. The members of the Parish Council noted the correspondence which had taken place between the Parish Clerk and Purbeck District Council Planning Department to query the number and types of affordable dwellings included within this proposal. It noted that a representative of PDC Planning had responded to advise that the applicants had submitted a Viability Assessment Report which the District Valuer is currently considering. In the light of this, the Parish Council felt that it would not yet be in a positon to give a view on this proposal until the details about the volume and type of affordable dwellings is confirmed.

In the meantime however the Parish Council wished to communicate to PDC and the developers that it would like to begin discussions with both parties regarding the amenity aspects; in particular to ensure that PDC and the developers are aware that the Parish Council has an ongoing project to develop a cycle path along Huntick Road to Lytchett Minster school and beyond; and that it would wish to ensure that the developers take this into account and incorporate it into the site where the site abuts Huntick Rd. In this regard, the Parish Council would also like to ensure that the developers speak to Andrew Bradley, DCC Highways Engineer, to ensure that the plans to provide the cycle way are incorporated into the development proposal.

9. To consider planning application 6/2018/0019 James Gregory, Valley View Community Garden and Care Farm, Castle Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DA. Erection of 9 polytunnels, agricultural barn and provision of a temporary rural workers dwelling and associated septic tank. After some discussion the members of the council wished to register an OBJECTION to this proposal on the grounds that it is inappropriate development within the greenbelt.

10. To consider planning application 6/2018/0097. Mr and Mrs M Miller. 11 Glebe Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EJ. Raise and extend roof to create habitable first floor with a Juliet balcony on the rear elevation. Insert dormer windows on the front and rear elevation. Erect a single storey side extension. The Parish Council has NO OBJECTION to this proposal; but would wish to draw the attention of Purbeck District Council Planning Department to the number of windows and the Juliet balcony included with the proposal which overlook adjacent properties and may adversely affect the privacy of them. It would also ask the Planning Authority to consider whether this proposal complies with the provisions within the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan.

11. To undertake an annual review of Council Risk Register.

The Parish Clerk referred to the copy of the Risk Register which he had circulated to members in advance of the meeting. He explained that this had been produced about six years ago and had been progressively added to and adjusted over the intervening years in the light of experience. Consequently the task for members was to review the current Register for completeness and appropriateness and to consider whether anything further needs to be added. After brief discussion it was agreed to add two additional risks as follows:

– Unauthorised access to the Parish Clerk’s emails.

– Failure to comply with relevant government legislation.

Subject to their inclusion, it was RESOLVED to accept and approve the updated register. Consequently these have been added to the risk register which is attached at appendix one to these minutes.

12. To undertake an annual review of the schedule of Governance / Internal Controls responsibilities.

The Parish Clerk referred to the copy of the Schedule of Governance / Internal Controls responsibilities which he had circulated to members in advance of the meeting. After brief discussion it was AGREED that a group of members consisting of Cllrs Huggins, Carswell and Norris would meet to review this informally in time to make a recommendation to Full Council at its meeting on 28th March. Action: Parish Clerk to forward a further copy of the schedule of governance / internal controls responsibilities to the three members accordingly.

13. Annual review of burial records – nomination of reviewers.

After brief discussion it was agreed that Cllr Cottman would undertake this review which simply consists of checking the records to ensure that any new burials which have taken place since the last annual review have been incorporated into the records and reflect what has actually happened in the cemetery. Cllr Cottman is to report back on this to full council at its March meeting. Action: Parish Clerk to send Cllr Cottman the relevant records, and Cllr Cottman to visit the cemetery, review the records and report back accordingly.

14. Annual review of insurance cover – nomination of reviewers.

It was agreed that Cllrs Huggins, Carswell and Norris would also look at this to consider the completeness and adequacy of cover. It was noted that a number of the mitigating actions for identified risks in the Risk Register involve insurance. Action: parish clerk to send a copy of the current insurance schedule to Cllrs Huggins, Carswell and Norris for consideration and report back to the March full council meeting.

15. To consider a request received from Lytchett Matravers Guides for support.

Reflecting on the correspondence from the Lytchett Matravers Guides, it was noted that it is unclear what form of support they are requesting from the Council. In the light of that and a subsequent discussion it was RESOLVED that the Parish Clerk should reply to the correspondence from the Guides thanking them for contacting the Council and encouraging them to speak to the Scouts to discuss their concerns. The letter should also mention that, should the Guides also be considering applying for a grant from the Parish Council is limited to support for finite identified projects only. Action: Parish Clerk to write to the Lytchett Matravers Guides accordingly.

16. To receive and consider the content of reports from the leader of the Working Groups as follows:

(i) Neighbourhood Plan – the content of Cllr Bush’s report was noted. A copy is attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

(ii) Youth Hall – the content of Cllr Bush’s report was noted. A copy is attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

(iii) Library – email communication of 7th March from Cllr Norris advised that in order to check the rates payable by a community library he had raised this matter with Mr Graham Lee. Mr. Lee had volunteered to check this out with Colehill Community library and had subsequently ascertained that they pay £303pa – which is considered to be a “reduced rate”.

(iv) High Street Shared Space – Cllr Norris’ email of the 7th of March had reported positive feedback from nearby residents to the removal of the hedgerow alongside Library Walk. He noted however that there are still roots to be removed as well as a goat willow tree. Some laurel bushes also need to be trimmed at some point. Cllr Carswell reported that the requested topsoil will be delivered towards the end of March. Cllr Huggins expressed some concerns about the concept of the raised crossing of the High Street between Library Walk and the Recreation Ground as he felt he could cause some confusion both for pedestrians and drivers. This is evidently an issue which should be debated by the High Street Shared Space Working Group in order to come to a consensus on a recommendation which may be incorporated into the future written report to this committee.

(v) Rec. Path – Cllr Huggins commented on at the idea of using dolly posts as distance markers along the Recreation Ground path. He also reported on correspondence with Wicksteed play equipment company who had sent an engineer to visit to enable production of a quotation for the ballpark. Their view so far was to suggest creating a new tarmac surface adjacent to the zip wire rather than attempting to reuse the existing tarmac area. In a subsequent discussion it was suggested that any work in this area would need to incorporate a “French drain” connecting to the drain in the south eastern corner of the recreation ground.

(vi) Rec. Pavilions – To be started.

(vii) Eldons Drove Lane – To be started.

(viii) Astro Expansion – To be started.

(ix) New Sports Field – To be started.

(x) Huntick Road Cycleway – It was noted that Cllr Huggins is to arrange to make a photo record of the proposed route of the path.

(xi) Sports Club Governance – It was reported that this is awaiting developments on the management of the Lytchett Matravers Sports Club.

(xii) Progress towards SiLCA – No progress to report due to other competing demands on Parish Clerk’s time.

(xiii) House style benches – Cllr Huggins reported that a sample of benches would be available to the public to view at the Annual Parish meeting.

17. To review Cllr Huggins’ paper on Dolly posts, noting the total number of posts required. To also consider the quotations provided and the specification of the posts. Cllr Huggins reminded those present that he had previously reported on having obtained three quotes from a range of suppliers for 20 plastic composite posts (colour black), as follows:

£64.00 per post.

£57.00 per post.

£39.91 per post.

In a subsequent discussion it was RESOLVED to approve the purchase 50 posts at £39.91 each to enable a row of posts to be installed to protect the Foxhills Open Space adjacent to the children’s play area; with the remainder to be used to replace posts at the Recreation Ground which fail during the coming financial year. In support of this objective it was also RESOLVED that prior to doing this, a quotation is to be requested from Poole Business Services to supply 50 posts and to install those required for the Foxhills Open Space as detailed above. This quotation is to be used as a comparison with the above quotations prior to placing any order. Action: Parish Clerk to arrange for Poole Business Services to quote for this work.

18. To consider a proposal related to the Landers Reach Roundabouts – to obtain quotes to remove a layer of topsoil and all but 2 existing shrubs in upper roundabout, lay membrane and slate chips and plant 2 new small hardy shrubs in lower roundabout. It was RESOLVED to change this specification to gravel rather than slate chips and for the Parish Clerk to request a quotation for this work from Poole Business Services. Action: Parish Clerk to contact Poole Business Services accordingly.

19. To consider further work to complete Wareham Rd bus shelter project – removal of spoil and reinstatement of hedge. It was RESOLVED to seek a price from a local grounds works contractor to undertake this work. Action: Parish Clerk to contact the local contractor accordingly.

20. To consider a proposal of items for inclusion in the next article for the Parish Magazine. It was noted that Cllr Barker was unable to be present at this meeting. Also, a list of possible topics for a subsequent issue of the Village Magazine had yet been produced. It was suggested that it may be appropriate to consider submitting an article on alternate months rather than attempting to produce something every month.

21. To note correspondence received.

The Parish Clerk reported that the letter had been received from a resident of Turbetts Close concerning the grass open space there which is owned by the Parish Council. The resident had commented that for a number of years he had taken it upon himself to maintain this grassed area, but that this was now no longer something he could sustain. It was RESOLVED to formally thank the resident for his generous commitment to the community over the years in this respect. It was also RESOLVED to request the local grounds works contractor to add this to the other small areas of grass he maintains for the Parish Council from now on. Action: Parish Clerk to contact Mr. Mills regarding adding this to his other grass cutting tasks accordingly.

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 21:25

Annotated by/on …………………………. Approved by/on ………………………