Minutes of a MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Monday July 18th 2016 at 7:00 in the Methodist Church, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs M Colvey, A Bush, A Carswell, A Cottman, J Gracey, A Huggins, J Taylor, C Wood, P Webb (from 8pm), K Norris, E Wilson and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Dist Cllr W Meaden, County Cllr F Drane and 3 members of the public were also present.

1. REceipt of apologies for absence – There were none.

2. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

Mr McDonald referred to a bench positioned on the corner of Huntick Road and Huntick Estate which is in poor condition. In response Cllr Norris explained that the hedge overgrowing this bench is the responsibility of the Housing Association, and has already been reported to them.

Mrs. Hampshire referred to the recently distributed CALM leaflets and wondered if the push for limitation on future development may disadvantage young people trying to get homes in Lytchett Matravers. Cllr Wood referred to the views expressed by members of community during the preparation of the Neighbourhood Plan and the consequent imperative to protest against the potential compromise to the greenbelt. She also observed that the new housing provided by the proposed developments might not be within the reach of the resources available to the people Mrs Hampshire has in mind. Mrs Hampshire went on to suggest that it would be helpful if low cost housing could be included in any proposals, as well as assistance such as shared equity schemes. The Council Chairman commented that PDC has considered the option to include self-build options within such proposed developments. Related to the matter of the development options under consideration, Cllr Drane remarked that the development site option near Lytchett Minster is on low-lying land which may be susceptible to flooding. He has therefore queried whether the Environment Agency are supporting this proposal.

3. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS. There were none.

4. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

5. Minutes of Council Meeting on 20th June 2016 were approved as a true record of the meeting. The minutes were then signed by the Chairman.

6. MATTERS ARISING & UPDATE ON ACTION POINTS.

i. Minute 14, 21st September 2015 – website updating. Actions: Cllr Taylor to review the personal profiles he has received and individually approach the members he has not had one from. CARRIED FORWARD.

ii. Minute 13, 20th June 2016 – securing Club Hall car park. Cllr Carswell is obtaining the necessary quotation for the proposed barrier.

7. District Cllrs report.

District Cllr Meaden reported that:

Following-up on an issue raised during public participation time at the last Parish Council meeting, and following a site visit with Mrs Hampshire, Cllr Meaden spoke to Dorset County Council Highways Dept about clearing gullies in Huntick Road. The job was given a works order on 28th June and such work should then be carried out within 28 working days. This meant a deadline of 8th August. She reported that she had been chasing this job in the hope that it would be done before the deadline.

She took part in the village litter pick. She did the same part as on the previous litter pick and thought that there was less than half the amount of rubbish.

She commented that the problems with the Tesco lorry drivers giving other road users verbal abuse seemed to be continuing – although the other problems appeared to have been sorted, ie. smaller lorries are sometimes being used and the cages being much better loaded.

Cllr Meaden had been busy looking into planning problems being experienced by residents, but she noted that mainly objections are raised on matters for which there are no material ground s for objection, i.e. view etc.

The main topics at PDC continued to be the unitary authority situation and the housing numbers. However, nothing had significantly changed on this since the last report.

She confirmed that she would be attending the CALM public meeting to be held on 23rd July. She commented that it had been pointed out to her that people would be expecting District Councillors to speak. Dist Cllr Gary Suttle was a planned speaker, and she expressed the view that she saw the meeting as a platform for residents, the Parish Council and any other interested parties. Her personal feeling was that she would primarily be there to listen because she didn’t want to take up time that could be better used by others. However gauging how the meeting goes, she would be prepared to speak if necessary and if requested specifically.

8. County Councillor’s report

County Cllr Drane reported on the following:

He had attended a DCC Health Scrutiny Committee Meeting on 7/06/16. This meeting was also attended by 3 Consultants, 2 Doctors and 3 NHS Officers. He reported that he questioned the proposed move of the A&E to Bournemouth hospital from Poole hospital. He was advised that this matter is being consulted on. He pointed out potential parking problems for patients and visitors at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital and that parking at Poole hospital is easier.

He had held his surgery at Lytchett Matravers Library on the first Friday and Saturday in the month at Lytchett Matravers and Upton respectively.

He had attended the Local Government Association Conference on 5 July over 3 Days. At a talk by the Chief Executive of the Environment Agency he raised a question about whether the EA is supporting the perceived Government drive to build houses on sites irrespective of environmental considerations. He reported that the response he received was that “We give advice and it’s up to the Local Council to agree where the houses are built.”

Regarding the matter of potential devolution of services from County and District levels, he observed that a new approach to funding of the services may also be needed. He reiterated a previously made point that this is very important for Parish and Town Councils to be sure they where they take on delivery of a service, the appropriate level of funding comes with it. He felt that it would be useful if every Parish and Town Council had a discussion paper on this which he had seen.

Cllr Drane had attended a People and Communities Overview Committee members Working Group on the subject of a “Community Offer for Living and Learning”. He observed that this appears to be a very wide remit covering every aspect of community groups and functions – including consideration of the buildings used and opportunities for future joint uses. This multiple use of buildings may provide some budgetary savings.

9. REPORTS FROM SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS

Village Hall Toilets Refurbishment Working Group. It was reported that at its meeting during week commencing 11th July the Village Hall committee had discussed the matter of obtaining new quotes for this work.

Sports Club Governance Working Group. Cllr Webb reported that there have been no further meetings since the one in June which was previously reported. It was noted that the Football Foundation had carried out their support visit regarding the Lytchett Astro, and are fairly satisfied with progress.

Neighbourhood Planning Working Group. Cllr Bush commented that the appointment of the examiner has now been confirmed. She is due to commence the examination process during the 3rd week of August. Huntick Cycle Way Working Group. It was noted that a report had been presented to the July meeting of the Environment & Amenities Cttee (Appendix 1). There is a need to liaise with Andrew Martin of DCC Highways to discuss this project in the light of their stated “Rural Roads Appearance” constraint on all such schemes.

10. Recommendations from Committees:

(a) Environment & Amenities Cttee – meeting 4th July 2016:

· That a kissing gate or some form of metal bar arrangement for access restriction is investigated (up to an expenditure level of £500 including installation) – to replace the ordinary pedestrian gate access to the Lytchett Astro on to Wareham Rd. This expenditure was AGREED in principle. However the Environment & Amenities Cttee were asked to produce a specification for the works. Action: members of the Environment & Amenities Cttee to develop a specification accordingly.

· That the Parish Council notes that Dorset Community Action, who had been consulted for their opinion on the matter, advised that they believe the Parish Council is responsible for any action to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act with regard to facilities at Club Hall. It was AGREED to note this.

(b) Planning Committee – meeting 7th July 2016

There were no recommendations to bring forward.

It was RESOLVED to receive the minutes of both of the above meetings.

  1. Consideration of quotation for removal of roof of bus shelter, Wareham Rd adjacent to the school.

After some discussion it was RESOLVED to approve expenditure for the works as detailed in the quotation of for the removal of the bus shelter roof. Action: Parish Clerk to convey this to the contractor, to undertake the work.

  1. Consideration of other works related to the enforced removal of bus shelter roof, Wareham Rd adjacent to the school.

Related to item 11 above, further discussion then related to the matter of possible removal or relocation and replacement of the bus shelter. It was agreed that Cllr wood would consult More Bus company regarding the possibility of a financial contribution towards a replacement bus shelter. Action: Cllr Wood to approach More Bus accordingly.

  1. Consideration of a proposal to adopt as the Council’s corporate response the content of the 30/06/16 email by Cllr Wood to Gerald Rigler regarding PROPOSED SITES for REQUIRED ADDITIONAL HOUSING.

It was resolved to approve the response accordingly.

  1. Report of criminal damage to fence at Rocket Park, and consideration of public expenditure for repair.

The Parish Clerk summarised the details reported to the police regarding this evident vandalism. The Parish Clerk also reported on progress towards obtaining two quotations as required by our insurers in support of a claim for replacement of the damaged parts – to bring the equipment back into use. This matter has also been reported to the police and the crime number it is to be used as part of the insurance claim.

Regarding the wider problem of vandalism and its costs and other consequences within the village, it was proposed that members of the Finance and Policy Committee prepare an article to go in the September edition of the Lytchett Link.

  1. Approval of £44,500 into Council’s investment with Prudential – including transfer of funds.

After brief discussion it was resolved to approve this.

  1. Progress towards Parish Clerk statutory auto enrolment in pension scheme.

The Parish Clerk summarised this by confirming that he had verified with the Pensions Regulator that the council staging date by which it was required to make a formal offer of the opportunity for employees to join a pension scheme is 1st August 2016. He emphasized that the Pensions Regulator requires the Council to demonstrate compliance with this. This is achieved through the Council writing to its employees making this formal offer. This process has been completed, and a copy of the letter remains on file. The Parish Clerk is now liaising with an officer at Dorset County Council Pensions Department regarding joining the Local Government Pension Scheme. There are a number of routine documents to complete for this to happen, as well as ensuring the contributions details are communicated to Mrs White to include within the routine monthly payroll procedures. All of this is in hand.

17. Report of any training activity undertaken in the past month.

Cllr Gracey reported on the second stage of her 2 part councillors’ course offered by DAPTC.

The Parish Clerk reported that he had attended the SLCC Regional Roadshow near Yeovil.

18. Reports of Representatives (by exception):-

Village Hall DAPTC Footpaths School Liaison
Youth Organisations Sports Club

Village Hall – A murder Mystery event is being held on 20th August as a fund raiser.

Footpaths – it was reported that one of the wooden bollards at the end of Stafford Row where it connects to Foxhills Road has been knocked over. Action: Parish Clerk to report this to DCC Highways.

19. Council to approve the following payments due:-

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3609 T Watton Clerk’s salary – July (12 equal monthly payments by standing order) 904.99 0.00 904.99
3610 T Homer Handyman duties – June, plus reimbursement for purchase of two gate springs 229.40 1.33 230.73
3611 The Landscape Group Cemetery maintenance – June 2016 303.49 60.70 364.19
3612 HMRC PAYE and ENI, quarter 1 2016/17 921.66 0.00 921.66
3613 Southern Electric Car park lighting, quarter 1 2016/17 16.47 0.82 17.29
3614 Brighstone Landscaping Ltd Maintenance of Foxhills open space 1st Jan-30th June 2016 1240.86 248.18 1489.04
3615 T Watton Reimbursement for:

(i) office expenses incurred Jan-July 2016

(ii) mileage to SLCC roadshow 14/07/16

87.91

38.25

126.16

2.33

0.00

2.33

90.24

38.25

128.49

3616 T Watton Reimbursement for payment to BT of Parish Office phone and broadband charge (6 June 16) 115.57 23.11 138.68
3617 BWBSL (Wessex Water) Allotment water charges 17/12/15-23/06/16 96.10 0.00 96.10
3618 K Kelly Return of allotment deposit (allotment 44) 32.00 0.00 32.00
3619 K Norris Reimbursement of expenses incurred (purchase of rubbish sacks for litter pick) 15.99 3.20 19.19
3620 A Huggins Reimbursement of mileage expenses incurred for attendance at meetings in Wareham & Studland on Council’s behalf. 22.05 0.00 22.05
3621 J Taylor Reimbursement of payment for printing of CALM leaflet and proforma 259.00 0.00 259.00
3622 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Delegate fee for SLCC regional roadshow 34.50 6.90 41.40
3623 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Publication “Local Council Administration” (10th edition) @ SLCC member discount 73.60 0.00 73.60
3624 Pamela White Accountancy Services Services for 2015/16:

Internal audits, year end procedures, payroll services

1225.00 245.00 1470
3625 R M Smith Fencing Ltd Supply & fix 3 x height barriers at Rec 4250.00 850.00 5100.00

The Council APPROVED the above payments

19. “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents – record of decisions taken by Parish Clerk.

There was nothing to report.

20. CORRESPONDENCE.

The following correspondence was received:

A letter of thanks for a Parish Council grant award was received from St Marys Church PCC.

An application from the Lytchett Matravers Twinning Association for a grant award. It was noted that this had been received later than the Council’s published submission deadline.

A letter from Michael Tomlinson, MP, expressing concern at the break-in at the Sports Club pavilion, and encouragement that a number of organisations have rallied round to contribute towards security improvements there.

21. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION

  • Cllr Norris commented on the matter of keeping the website updated. In particular he noted that there are old items on display under “latest news”. He undertook to initially contact Mr Gracey about this.
  • Cllr Taylor prompted a brief discussion about places where CALM leaflets may be deposited for residents to pick up.
  • Cllr Cottman offered some information he had received regarding how the police are dealing with some youths who had been caught motorcycling at the Lytchett Astro site.

The meeting closed at 20:45

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………