Minutes of a MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Monday September 19th 2016 at 7:00 in the Methodist Church, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs M Colvey, A Bush, R Carswell, J Gracey, A Huggins, J Taylor, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Dist Cllr W Meaden, County Cllr F Drane and 4 members of the public were also present.

1. REceipt of apologies for absence – Cllrs A Cottman, K Norris, P Webb, E Wilson and C Wood.

2. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION A member of the public wished to confirm the arrangement between the Council and the Sports Club in respect of the premises and playing fields at the recreation ground. It was explained that this land is owned by the Council and is the subject of a long lease for which the Council charges the Sports Club an annual fee. In response to concerns expressed about the condition of the Sports Club premises and ensuring the control of the club remains in the village, the steps the Council as taken to encourage and support the improved governance and accountability of the Sports Club were outlined. In reply to a question about the Rocket Park play area it was explained that Sutcliffe Play South West Ltd have urgently been contacted to attend to fault with the zip wire – to which they recently fitted a new end brake spring. The Council was also aware of the broken spring on the trampoline – and this is being replaced. Finally, it was explained that the latches on the gates have been removed in response to repeated vandalism. The gates have been fitted with spring closers instead.

Clarification was sought as to what is happening with the former British Legion Premises. The Chairman explained that the Council is seeking to set up a community group to consider the preparation of an application for its registration as a “Community Asset”. If successful, such registration would confer preferential consideration of the opportunity to acquire the premises. However, a key step in this process would be to gather information about the numerous ways in which the premises have been used in the past for community benefit, and consideration of the level of interest and commitment to its use in the future.

  1. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS. The Chairman reminded those present that the Council Chairman’s chain of office has been sent off to be updated. Cllr Colvey also noted recent significant achievements of the Council and wished to put on record his thanks and congratulations to the councillors most closely concerned. This includes securing of the Recreation Ground using gates and a bund, progressing the provision of a new bus shelter in Wareham Rd, extending the life of the Council noticeboard between the library and the pharmacy, producing a very effective edition of the Lytchett Link, progress towards provision of 24/7 access to a defibrillator supplied by Tesco and supported by a network of volunteers, and raising the strong possibility of getting DCC to install a cycleway / footpath to Lytchett Minster school and beyond.

4. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

5. Minutes of Council Meeting on 15TH aUGUST 2016 were approved as a true record of the meeting. The minutes were then signed by the Chairman.

6. MATTERS ARISING & UPDATE ON ACTION POINTS.

i. Minute 14, 21st September 2015 – website updating. It was noted that producing the set of personal profiles is still in train.

7. District Cllrs report.

District Cllr Meaden commented on her report which had been circulated to all members prior to the meeting. Her report covered the following:……

An Audit and Governance meeting had confirmed that PDC is currently underspent by £28,000 and there has been no rise in the external auditor’s fee.

The issue of local government reorganisation has been very time consuming and the public consultation process is under way – with roadshows taking place around Dorset.

In view of the high response rate to the public consultation on the Partial Review the data entry and analysis process was taking longer than anticipated. The Dorset Leaders’ Forum had continued to challenge the process and housing numbers with the new Ministers.

The Crime and Disorder Panel reviewed a report from Dorset Police which showed that there had been a slight decrease in reported local incidents.

Purbeck Conservation Areas were being reviewed – one of which being the Morden area. A public consultation is to be held in early Autumn.

PDC hopes to earn extra income by selling advertising and sponsorship space. Similar initiatives have been successful in other areas of the country.

The Nitrogen Mitigation in Poole Harbour issue continues, and has received a higher profile recently – with other organisations getting involved. PDC hopes to defer this issue for more consideration.

Demolition of old buildings at Dorset Green is almost complete and building of new units is understood to be due to start soon. The current two largest tenants are understood to be anxious to expand, and PDC have noted that initial interest from other sources seems encouraging.

The Purbeck Pledge 2016 has been launched. This year it relates to healthy eating and exercising. There are many activities with free offers or reduced fees for September (swimming, snorkelling, tour guided walks etc).

Cllr Meaden reported that she had attended four civic occasions since her last report – to which she had taken four different residents to accompany her. She reported that all of these people found the experience interesting and they were pleased to attend. She commented that she had been very encouraged at how welcome all of her guests have been made by the various civic dignitaries. She remarked that the civic carol services start in November and she has a different set of less mobile and elderly residents who are looking forward to attending with her.

Cllr Meaden noted that in the village she had noticed some bad feelings amongst some residents regarding the CALM Green Belt notices. Evidently, some villagers had taken exception to the words “Lytchett Matravers says” as not all residents have a problem with building new homes in the Green Belt. She noted that the two overgrown and blocked gullies previously reported by a resident had been dug out by DCC.

Cllr Meaden had been asked by an elderly resident about painting a line in village car park by the gap in the hedge which goes through to the bus stop. It seems that some residents find cars parked across the gap and they are then unable to use this route to catch the bus. She noted that Parish Councillor Cottman had undertaken to carry out the painting. Cllr Meaden reported that some remarks have been received by her both by e-mail and verbally about the bunds by the Village Hall. Although people, at first, thought this was unauthorised tipping or untidy, when it was explained that it is to stop trespass onto our valuable Recreation Field, all seems to be approved and considered a reasonable action.

Cllr Meden reported that she had been monitoring the development at the back of The Chequers car park.

Finally, she reported that the Boundary Commission had launched its public consultation to its review. This runs from 13th September until 5th December. She explained that nationally this means the constituencies drop from 533 to 501. In the south west this means a decrease from 55 to 53. Each constituency must have between 71031 and 78507 electors. The web site is www.bce2018.org.uk.

8. County Councillor’s report

County Cllr Drane reported on the following:

Reshaping your Councils – the availability of consultation questionnaires in the library. The consultation runs from 30th August – 25th October. It is understood that in December the leaders of each of the nine Dorset councils will consider the consultation response together with the financial and business case for each option. This should lead in January 2017 to a final decision. If so, then in February 2017 a proposal will be submitted to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, and if accepted formation of interim arrangements will take place in 2018 (preparing to deliver services) and in April 2019 the new councils would take responsibility for delivering services.

He reported that the Randalls Hill Refuge Crossing has now been installed. He noted that this had taken 4 years to achieve – with significant input to DCC from himself and the Head of Lytchett Minster School. It was noted that the safety of the crossing is a great improvement.

Meetings attended by Cllr Drane included the Dorset Police & Crime Panel, the Government Reform meeting at DCC and the EAP for Pathway to Independence. At the latter meeting it was made clear DCC are looking at arears where those that can pay will need to pay for services, where they are not means tested.

He also reported that he had informed DCC and Poole Borough Council of the problems the local area will encounter if the Twin Sail Bridge breaks down whilst the other bridge is under repair for 9 months. He has asked what contingency plans are in place.

9. REPORTS FROM SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS

Village Hall Toilets Refurbishment Working Group. It was reported that the Village Hall Committee now has in its possession three further quotations for these works. Cllr Colvey reported that he and Cllr Wilson had met with the Village Hall Committee and the selected supplier to discuss the details of the contract between the supplier and the Parish Council. It is hoped that work will commence on the 17th October, 2016.

Sports Club Governance Working Group. No further meeting has taken place since the one previously reported to Full Council. Efforts are being made to try to make contact with Mr Ashton, the previous Secretary of the Sports Club, in an attempts to fill in some of the evident gaps in the Club’s financial records.

Neighbourhood Planning Working Group. Cllr Bush commented that the Examiner has visited Lytchett Matravers and will be producing a “fact check report” by around the end of September.

Huntick Cycle Way Working Group. Cllr Huggins reminded those present that he had produced a draft proposal to DCC for this project – which had been circulated to all members by email in advance of this meeting. A copy is attached at appendix 1 to these minutes. Cllr Meaden reported that she would be attending a meeting on the 18th October 2016 at which the matter of the inclusion of this initiative on the DCC list of projects will be considered. Cllr Colvey had prepared a covering letter to go with Cllr Huggins draft proposal to DCC. The content of both the draft proposal and Cllr Colvey’s letter were AGREED by the Council.

10. Recommendations from Committees:

(a) Environment & Amenities Cttee – meeting 5th September 2016:

· That the Council accepts the quotation from R.M. Smith Fencing to supply and install At the entrance to the Club Hall / Army Cadet Hall car park one 3.6m wide galvanised metal field gate on metal posts set in concrete and five timber dragon’s teeth for £520. AGREED.

· That the Parish Clerk arranges for the purchase and fitting of a replacement pedestrian gate between the cemetery and Church Walk provided it is within the de-minimus limits set out in the council’s financial regulations. AGREED.

· That the Parish Council accepts the quotation of £695 pounds (excl VAT) from Replay Ltd to repair the fire damaged surface of the Lytchett Astro. However it then was reported that it seems that some form of repair appears has already been carried out.

It was RESOLVED to receive the minutes of the above meeting.

11. Proposal to set up a Working Group to progress the case for the former RBL Club premises as a “Community Asset”.

It was noted that Cllr Bush had circulated a document prior to the meeting which recommends setting up a working group to prompt some early thoughts about (i) whether to go ahead with such an initiative, and to (ii) consider what the community would use the premises for. It was noted that the business case would be necessary with firm commitments from various community groups who would be prepared to use the premises. It was pointed out that there would be a need to progress this initiative relatively quickly, and to that end Cllr Bush indicated that he was trying to set up a meeting to take place week commencing 26th September 2016.

12. Consideration of application to DCC for Huntick Cycleway.

The draft prepared by Cllr Huggins (Appendix 1 to these minutes) was AGREED by the Parish Council, together with a covering letter from Cllr Colvey, and will be sent to DCC accordingly.

13. Consideration of application to DCC for new bus shelter and associated works by Primary School.

Reference was made to an update report from Cllr Wood circulated to all members by email during week commencing 12th September. It was suggested that the Council acknowledges the following points, approves the action so far, and agrees that Cllr Wood or Bush approach the Primary school head teacher – reporting again when any further events have occurred:

(a) The replacement bus stop has been agreed with the DCC Infrastructure team. This will be a domed bus stop with a half screen (and also seating inside). This will free up space in the footpath while still providing shelter. There will be no electronic display

(b) Lacey Goodwin, Infrastructure Officer

Dorset Travel at DCC, or her line manager Chris Hook, have:

  • Agreed provision of new stop.
  • Contacted DCC Highways about the current old shelter to ask about possible funding for removal of rest of the old bus stop, making good the pavement, liaising with SEE about need to move lamppost

(c) It has been pointed out to the DCC team that the Parish Council has paid £400 for safe removal of bus stop asbestos roof already and made good loose bricks.

(d) On behalf of the Parish Council it has been agreed with DCC that the Parish Council will be responsible for removal of the tree that has caused the problem and all undergrowth around the site. The next planned step is to talk to the Primary school head teacher about the project as the trees and undergrowth are on school land.

(e) A decision from DCC is awaited on funding of path works.

14. Brief for Affordable Housing meeting (previously circulated to members).

It was agreed to defer this matter to the Finance and Policy Committee to consider. Action: Parish Clerk to add this item to the Finance and Policy committee agenda.

15. Acceptance of report from BDO on the Annual Return 2015/16. Approval of statutory publication.

The report from external auditors BDO LLP was received, noted, and ACCEPTED by the council. It was noted that the auditors had signed off the Annual Return and that in their opinion the information in it is in accordance with proper practices, and no matters had come to their attention giving cause for concern that relevant legislation and regulatory requirements had not been met. The Council also noted one minor issue that the auditors wished to comment on – in that a minute reference date had not been entered in section one of the return and that this should be corrected to read 16 May 2016. The immediate statutory publication of the Annual Return on the Council’s website, and a noticeboard announcement advertising its availability for inspection on request, was also acknowledged by the Council.

16. Report of any training activity undertaken in the past month.

There had been none. However The Parish Clerk reported that he would be attending the DAPTC clerks’ seminar in Sturminster Newton on Thursday 22nd September.

17. Reports of Representatives (by exception):-

Village Hall DAPTC Footpaths School Liaison
Youth Organisations Sports Club

There were none.

18. Council to approve the following payments due:-

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3645 T Watton Clerk’s salary – September (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 848.68 0.00 848.68
3646 DCC LGPS pension contrib Sept. 270.32 0.00 270.32
3647 T Homer Handyman duties, August – plus reimbursement for purchase of timber for dolly posts. 332.85 10.77 343.62
3648 The Landscape Group Cemetery maintenance – August 2016 303.49 60.70 364.19
3649 Asbestos Contracting Ltd Removal & disposal of bus shelter roof. 425.00 85.00 510.00
3650 R P and SA Ball Supply of water to standpipe in cemetery April 2015-Mar 2016 105.00 0.00 105.00
3651 Sutcliffe Play South West Supply and fit zip wire end section brake spring 226.00 45.20 271.20
3652 Bennetts Mini Coaches Ltd Hire of 16 seat minibus on 15th August 2016 30.00 0.00 30.00
3653 BDO Annual return audit fee 2015-16 300.00 60.00 360.00
3654 British Telecommunications Plc Parish Office phone and broadband charges July-Sept 2016 134.82 25.46 160.28
3655 Anglebury Press Ltd Print 1500 copies Lytchett Link no 59 302.00 0.00 302.00

The Parish Clerk reported that he had received reports of some bolts which had come loose on the zip wire at the Recreation Ground and that he had consequently reported this to Sutcliffe Play South West immediately for their urgent attention. In the light of this, payment 3651 should be held until this matter is resolved, as it would seem to be related to the repair works undertaken under this invoice. Council APPROVED all of the other above payments.

18. “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents – record of decisions taken by Parish Clerk.

There were none.

19. CORRESPONDENCE.

The following correspondence was received:

A letter of thanks for the Lay Chair of Lytchett Matravers Parochial Church Council expressing thanks for the Parish Council grant awarded earlier in the year, and explaining the progress made on the heating project. The letter goes on to ask that if the Council has any remaining unallocated grant funds that it looks favourably upon this project, which still has a funding gap.

A letter and policy documentation from Mark Pincott & Associates confirming the details of the top up of the Council’s investment with Prudential International i.e. an additional £43,500 for a £1000 set up fee.

20. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION

Cllr Huggins commented that work still needed to be undertaken to tidy up the bund at the recreation ground and Village Hall surroundings. It was agreed that several members would meet there in the coming week with rakes. Cllr Carswell confirmed that the flower seeds had arrived. Cllr Colvey reported that an invoice had been sent to the Village Hall Committee to request the payment of their £250 contribution to the bund. Action: Parish Clerk to monitor for receipt of this payment.

Cllr Bush referred to the risk assessment he had undertaken of the benches. It was noted and agreed that two benches are in such poor condition that they need to be replaced or scrapped – i.e. the “Silver Jubilee benches at the Recreation Ground and at the corner of Huntick Estate. It was agreed to remove the bench at the recreation ground. Acton: Parish Clerk to consider the options for its removal.

Referring to the intended forward planning event by the Council members, Cllr Colvey confirmed that both of the intended speakers wish to take part, but a mutually available date has not yet been established. Dates in January 2017 are now being considered.

The meeting closed at 20:45

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………