Minutes of the MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Wednesday July 25th 2018 at 7:00 in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall, High St, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs A Bush (Chairman), B Barker, R Carswell, A Huggins, K Norris, P Webb, C Wood and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: County Cllr P Wharf, and 3 members of the public.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

A resident drew members’ attention to a historic stone / plaque in the village commemorating the coronation of King George VI, which had been damaged by a fallen tree. He explained that the local history group would like to restore and place this in Row Park Cemetery with an accompanying Atlas Cedar tree as mentioned on the plaque. He also suggested including a plaque to commemorate the 65th year of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign. It was decided to refer this to the Finance & General Purposes Committee to consider the matter further.

The same resident then commented on the poor current condition of Church Walk and wondered if something could be done about it. In response, Cllr Norris advised that he had on a previous occasion managed to get Dorset County Council Rights Of Way Department to repair the surface using road scalpings. He indicated that he would contact DCC ROW Dept to see what could be done. Action: Cllr Norris to contact DCC accordingly.

District Councillor’s Report

Cllr Meaden’s and Cllr Webb’s joint report is attached at appendix 1 to these minutes. Cllr Bush queried the justification by PDC for non-adherence to the percentage of affordable dwellings for each site, when the community was consulted on the selection of possible development sites. He pointed out that sites had been voted for by the public on the basis of that initial indication.

County Councillor’s Report

Cllr Wharf‘s report is attached at appendix 2 to these minutes. Cllr Wharf added to his report by advising that a judicial review was to take place on Monday 30th July 2018 regarding the objection lodged by Christchurch Borough Council to the County wide restructuring of local government.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence – Cllrs M Colvey, A Cottman and R Watts.

2. TO RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDER REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

3. TO receive AND RESOLVE to APPROVE THE Minutes of The Full Council Meeting on 27th June 2018.

It was RESOLVED to approve these as a true record of the meeting; and they were duly signed by the Council Chairman.

4. TO RECEIVE and consider REPORTS OF PAST SUBJECT MATTERS.

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. The italics below indicates additional comments made by members at the meeting.

  1. Minute 7, 17th January 2018 – research of grant funding for defibrillator by Cllr Cottman. At the Full Council meeting held on 25th April Cllr Cottman had reported that he considered one of the Aster Housing Association properties as a good potential location for a third defibrillator. It had been resolved that he would consider specific properties belonging to the local Housing Association and then make a considered proposal to them. He had advised members at the meeting in June that there had been no response yet from his contact with Sovereign Housing Association.
  2. Minute 13, 28th March 2018 – members to seek public opinion on uses for the redundant telephone kiosk opposite the Rose & Crown PH. At a previous meeting it had been put forward to make a bid to purchase the kiosk from BT and use it to display local information and community notices – to include details of footpaths and walking & cycling routes around the village and other useful information for visitors and the Parish Clerk had been asked to formally approach BT regarding the purchase of the kiosk for this purpose, but he had subsequently discovered that BT’s kiosk “Adopt” scheme is aimed at the traditional red kiosk type only – the intention of the scheme being to allow the iconic red kiosks to be retained where there is a desire to do so for heritage reasons. Whilst they do occasionally allow adoption of modern style kiosks in rural areas, this is exclusively where the intended use is to house a defibrillator. The members of the council had noted this information about BT’s policy in this regard, but asked the Parish Clerk to contact BT anyway to see if they might be persuaded to make an exception.This has not yet been actioned.
  3. Minute 10, 25th April 2018 – Security of fences at Jubilee Walk. As resolved, this had been reported to the local DCC Rights of Way Ranger for attention. In response to a request for a progress update from DCC the Parish Clerk was informed that the matter of removal of the tree has had to involve DCC in consulting solicitors. Members of the Council noted this information.
  4. Minute 11 iv, 23rd May 2018 – invitation to tender letter to 5 solicitors. The Parish Clerk gave a summary of an update report which had been provided by Cllr Watts:

The council wrote to 5 local law firms in May. Two of these firms declined to bid for the legal work required. Council representatives met with the other three to discuss their areas of competence in relation to the work required, and the charges they would levy. Following these meetings written responses have been received from two of the firms and a written response from the third is awaited. Once this is received a recommendation will made for council consideration.

5. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chairman summarised the outcomes of a public meeting held on Monday 23rd July as a follow-up to the discussion about a safer crossing for Wareham Road which had been held within the Public Participation session ahead of the Full Council meeting held on 27 June, 2018. He explained that the timing of the meeting had been dictated by the need to get together before the end of the school term. At the meeting Mr Wayne Sayers, DCC Transport Planner, had given a presentation on how the similar community consultation / involvement project at Beaminster had operated, and how DCC proposes to involve the interest groups within Lytchett Matravers. It was confirmed that some funding is available to run the project, although there would not be sufficient funding within this sum for the provision of lights and / or a crossing.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 18th July 2018.

It was RESOLVED to receive and note these. In response to a question from it was confirmed by the Parish Clerk that the work to restore the car parking space at Lytchett Matravers preschool is planned to go ahead during week commencing 30th July 2018.

7. To consider a proposal for transfer of Youth Hall land from Dorset County Council to Lytchett Matravers Parish Council.

A copy of the report prepared by Cllr Bush, covering the key points, is attached at appendix three to these minutes. Cllr Bush drew particular attention to the following points in his report:

  • This concerns transfer the land only, as an asset to the Parish Council. The Parish Council already owns the building.
  • The cost to the Parish Council of the transferred land is £1.
  • The meaning of the Overage Deed is that if the Parish Council were at any future date to dispose of the transferred land, the financial proceeds of that disposal would revert to DCC or its successor.

In response to a question, Cllr Bush clarified that the Parish Council will be required to continue to ensure no hindrance is given to persons wishing access the Army Cadet Hall via the transferred land.

It is intended that the building itself will be used on the long term basis to Lytchett Matravers Scouts. The lessee will be responsible for the maintenance of the building but will then be permitted to hire it out for short-term events and bookings, and to retain the income from such hires. Sub-leasing will however not be permitted.

It was unanimously RESOLVED to approve the transfer of the land to Lytchett Matravers Parish Council at a cost of £1 under the terms & conditions set out in the report at appendix one to these minutes.

8. To receive and consider the content of a report on the Village Forum.

Report prepared by Cllr Bush is attached at appendix four to these minutes, recording the fact that community engagement meetings have taken place with representatives of the Village Hall management committee, the Lytchett Matravers Scouts, Lighthouse Church, the Methodist Church, and St Mary’s Church. Meetings are also to be scheduled with representatives of the Lytchett Matravers Sports Club, Lytchett Matravers library, the primary school and Lytchett Matravers preschool. Members were reminded that notes should be prepared to record the proceedings of each of these meetings and sent to representatives of the organisations involved for their approval.

9. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3946 Dorset Community Action Fee for 2 places on bite sized training “Successful bid writing” 80.00 0.00 80.00
3947 T Watton Reimbursement for personal payment made to C J Milton (roofing contractor) in place of unpaid council cheque 100773 385.00 0.00 385.00

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments.

10. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3948 T Watton Clerk’s salary – July (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 883.35 0.00 883.35
3949 DCC LGPS pension contrib July 350.56 0.00 350.56
3950 T Homer Handyman duties, June 2018 245.25 0.00 245.25
3951 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – June 2018 303.49 60.70 364.19
3952 Idverde Ltd 2 x fortnightly grass cutting of sports field area of rec ground – June 170.00 34.00 204.00
3953 Idverde Ltd 2 x fortnightly grass cutting, southern end of rec – June 46.50 9.30 55.80
3954 Poole Business Services Installation of 3 benches at Rec

Repair to fence at Rocket Park

342.20 68.44 410.64
3955 Play Area Hygiene Services Ltd Supply of 3 benches 763.27 152.65 915.92
3956 Lytchett Matravers Village Hall Hire for meetings Dec 2017-June 2018 240.00 0.00 240.00
3957 Shaw & Sons Ltd Burial fees receipt book 19.85 3.97 23.82
3958 SSE Car park lighting Quarter 1 2018/19 20.36 1.01 21.37
3959 Water2business Supply of water to allotments Dec 2017-June 2018 185.01 0.00 185.01
3960 Lytchett Matravers Twinning Association Grant 2018 200.00 0.00 200.00
3961 Purbeck Film Festival Grant 2018 100.00 0.00 100.00
3962 Purbeck Citizens Advice Bureau Grant 2018 2182.00 0.00 2182.00
3964 SSE Lytchett Matravers Sports Club Electricity Bill Quarter 1 2018/19 60.17 3.00 63.17
3965 Water2business Lytchett Matravers Sports Club Water services bill Dec 2017-June 2018 354.42 0.00 354.42
3966 J Watson Best Kept allotment 1st Prize 15.00 0.00 15.00
3967 R Kinnersley Best kept allotment 2nd Prize 10.00 0.00 10.00
3968 V Maher Best kept allotment 3rd Prize 5.00 0.00 5.00
3969 R J Glazing Lytchett Matravers Sports Club replacement doors 600.00 0.00 600.00
3970 British Gas Lytchett Matravers Sports Club Gas reconnection charge 70.72 0.00 70.72
3971 Stackhouse Poland Ltd Lytchett Matravers Sports Club annual insurance premium (incl Ins Prem Tax) 348.32 0.00 348.32

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

11. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month. The Chairman reported that he and Cllr Carswell had attended a Bid Writing course offered by Dorset Community Action.

12. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents.The Parish Clerk reported that he had arranged for Sutcliffe Play South West Ltd to make two items of play equipment safe at Rocket Park following an incident of suspected vandalism. This was followed-up with the placing of an order with the company for replacement ropes and chains for the Huck “Viking Swinger” and the “Slingshot” respectively. The details of the probable vandalism were also shared with the PDC Antisocial Behaviour Reduction Officer.

13. Correspondence.

The Parish Clerk reported on the following items of correspondence:

  • He reminded members of a request made by a resident of Fosters Spring within correspondence received on 30th April 2018. The request was for consideration of the provision of a parking bay on the western side of Fosters Spring (opposite the currently existing layby) in order to provide additional parking spaces. The main reasoning behind this request concerned a reported difficulty experienced by the Dorset Fire and Rescue service caused by parked cars in Fosters Spring when attending an incident some weeks ago. The Parish Clerk reminded members that he had referred the matter to DCC Highways planners for their consideration and advice. He reported that the response which had been received from the experts at DCC after having made a visit to the site was that they did not consider there to be sufficient justification for provision of an additional parking bay in this location at this time. In view of the fact that Fosters Spring has residential properties on only one side for most of its length, that the road design had been approved in consultation with DCC highways when the development was built and there have been no subsequent residential changes or infill, and that the adjacent children’s play area is of a small scale and not a “destination” play park which would be expected to attract external visitors, the Parish Council RESOLVED to accept DCC Highways advice.
  • Receipt of 2 or 3 pieces of correspondence related to a fault which the padlock to the allotments vehicle gates seem to have developed. He reported that he had arranged for the padlock and chain to be removed from the gate so that it could be taken to the company which had supplied it – either for repair or replacement with another lock to match the existing set of keys.
  • He had contacted the PDC Antisocial Behaviour Reduction Officer requesting a response to correspondence he had forwarded to her after her visit to a Parish Council in June.
  • Cllr Wharf reported on correspondence he had received from a resident who had asked whether it might be possible to arrange for an additional request bus stop to be introduced on the A350. Having investigated the matter with DCC officers he had advised the resident that the simplest approach, and which had most chance of success, was for her to write direct to the bus company.
  • Cllr Huggins reported on an enquiry he had received from a resident asking about the restoration or refurbishment of finger posts. Cllr Webb indicated that he would enquire with PDC what restoration work may now be possible by them.
  • Cllr Norris reminded members that a representative from Fields In Trust had some weeks ago undertaken a site visit to the Foxhills Open Space with a view to an application for its protection. In order to progress this matter further, Cllr Norris has been in correspondence with former Parish Councillor David Bevan, a Planning Consultant, with a request that he provides independent professional advice on this matter.

14. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next Full Council meeting is to be held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 22nd August 2018 at 7pm in the Village Hall.

It was noted that Michael Tomlinson MP is scheduled to be in attendance and will provide an update from Westminster.

Issues for the meeting on 22nd August:

· Report on action towards the community involvement project for a safe crossing of Wareham Rd.

· Report on progress towards improvements to Broadband and mobile signal in the Lytchett Matravers Parish (Cllr A Huggins)

The meeting closed at 9:00pm

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………