Minutes of the MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Monday September 15th 2014 at 7:30 in the Sports Club Pavilion, High Street Car Park.

PRESENT were Cllrs: M Colvey, A Bush, A Huggins, R Carswell, I Maitland, K Norris, E Wilson, J Taylor and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present were County Cllr F Drane, County Cllr Susan Jefferies and three members of the public.

1. REceipt of apologies for absence – Cllrs A Cottman, P Webb, and C Wood.

2. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS.

The Chairman explained that he felt that it was appropriate to bring forward the discussion of the community support funding request for Village Hall toilets (minute 6, 5th bullet point, below) to an earlier point in the meeting than it was originally scheduled, to enable the Village Hall Committee representatives to leave earlier, if they wished to do so.

3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing Orders Suspended)

County Cllr Jefferies, representing Corfe Mullen, explained that she had asked to attend the meeting in order to draw this Parish Council’s attention to a petition to DCC Highways about safety to users of Rushall Lane. The petition seeks to make this road safer for pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders. Ideally 1000 signatures are needed so that it may be put before the Full County Council. Thus it is hoped that members of Lytchett Matravers Community will also sign. Cllr Jefferies asked for the Lytchett Matravers Parish Council’s support, as well as its help to publicise the petition. Cllr Jefferies also asked the Parish Council to give consideration to any suggestions it may have to help improve the safety of this road. The Chairman indicated that this matter would be raised formally on the next Environment & Amenities Committee meeting. Some discussion took place regarding where the petition might be located to enable local residents to see and sign it.

Mrs Hampshire expressed a safety concern that horse riders are using Jubilee Walk. She also commented that the hedge between the High Street and the car park is becoming high. The Parish Clerk explained that he had spoken to the usual contractor about this and that it would be cut soon.

4. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

5. THE MINUTES of the Council meeting on August 18th 2014 were approved and signed by the Chairman.

6. MATTERS ARISING & UPDATE ON ACTION POINTS.

· Minute 24, 20th January 2014. Condition of Cypress Leylandii trees on southern side of Recreation Ground. Now completed – DISCHARGED.

  • Wareham Rd / Deans Drove traffic / parking – site visit by Andrew Brown of DCC: Now incorporated into other agenda items. DISCHARGED.
  • Minute 10(i), 18th August 2014. Lytchett Link, latest edition. A revised deadline of 22nd September was agreed for contributions to be submitted to Cllr Taylor.
  • Minute 13, 18th August 2014. Establishment of Google Diary. Cllr Carswell indicated that he would communicate this again and offer some support training on use of “iCal”.
  • Minute 14, 18th August 2014. Community support funding request for Village Hall toilets project – Camborne Energy. Adrienne Allen and Roger Emerson were present at the meeting to follow-up on discussions at the previous Full Council meeting. The Parish Clerk reported that despite leaving messages, he had not yet had a response from the representative from Primrose Solar with answers to the questions about the name the contract should be issued in, and what the payment mechanism would be. He indicated that he would immediately chase for a response on this matter. Action: Parish Clerk to contact the Primrose Solar representative urgently. Regarding the required revised quotation from the selected contractor (to include the cloakroom / corridor areas), it was felt by council members that the words used in the contractor’s response were indicative of an estimate rather than a firm quotation. As a result some concerns were expressed, and it was AGREED that:

(i) The Village Hall Committee representatives should respond to the contractor to request that a fixed price quotation is provided.

(ii) The Village Hall Committee to note and accept that the Parish Council understands it will not be required or expected to make up any shortfall between the value of the grant award and the total net price (i.e. exclusive of VAT) charged by the contractor for the planned works.

7. District Cllrs report.

Dist Cllr Taylor provided a report on a District Council decision to establish a Purbeck Local Plan Partial Review Advisory Group:

At its 20 August 2014 meeting, the Policy Group considered an item about the Heathlands Supplementary Planning Document. As part of the debate on that item, District Councillors decided to recommend that PDC sets up an advisory group to inform the development of the policies in the Purbeck Local Plan Partial Review. Councillors requested that the Group be politically balanced and that representatives from Natural England and the Town and Parish Councils be invited to attend.

In consideration of this Policy Group recommendation, PDC agreed to establish a Purbeck Local Plan Partial Review Advisory Group to make recommendations to Council regarding development of the partial review policies and other Local Plan issues should they arise. The Group will comprise seven councillors (three Liberal Democrat and four Conservative, to be nominated by their group leaders), to include one non-voting representative from Natural England, and be authorised to invite representatives of other organisations.

8. County Councillor’s report

County Cllr Drane reported that he had attended a meeting of the Dorset Police and Crime Panel, where he was able to raise matters with the Crime Commissioner and the Chief Constable which had been put forward by the Upton PACT meeting. It had been noted that the police no longer attend PACT meetings, and also that responses to “101” dialled phone calls is poor. At the meeting it was explained that both of these matters were due to the shortage of police officers, but that a recruitment drive is now under way and it is hoped that the problems will be short term ones.

9. REPORTS FROM SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS

Neighbourhood Planning Group

Cllr Bush explained that the most recent meeting had considered possible development sites which could be included in the Neighbourhood Plan.

It was noted that nothing further had been heard regarding the former Royal British Legion club site, and therefore no decision could be made on that.

Regarding the reservoir site, further local meetings were planned, and it had been noted that whilst the previous proposal for 29 houses was rejected by the Planning Authority a revised proposal seems likely. It can also be seen that the area not included in any housing proposal might be identified as “heathland mitigation” and general open space – particularly as it is believed that the reservoir itself is not in use. It is believed that it is important to include this site in the Neighbourhood Plan due to its potential effect on housing target and contribution as a local amenity.

Cllr Bush also reported that a local resident who is a Planning Consultant has volunteered his expertise in development and preparation of the Neighbourhood Plan. It was felt that any expert advice provided by this resident in his professional capacity should be in exchange for a fee. This approach was AGREED by a majority of those present.

10. Recommendations from Committees:

(i) Environment & Amenities Committee – meeting 1st September 2014:

· That the following actions towards addressing the problem of dogs in public places be noted and supported by Full Council:

– Replace and increase the Recreation Ground signs. Signs to read – “Dogs must be kept on a lead”

– MUGA / Lytchett Astro signs to read – “No Dogs”

– Obtain price for the above signs.

– Obtain price for posts for all signs.

– Obtain price for installing all of the above.

– Obtain price for fencing along line of the dolly posts between the playing pitches and the southern part of the recreation Ground.

– Obtain price for “wavy” fence around perimeter of the Skate Park.

· That a litter bin is installedat the MUGA.

· To replace the broken flower box under the village name sign on Wareham Road over the winter – in time for spring bulb planting.

These were AGREED.

11. Receipt of remaining risk assessment.

Cllr Colvey advised that this was not available yet.

12. Section 137 Grants – receipt of update

The Parish Clerk provided an explanation of the limitation imposed upon local councils by Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972 regarding expenditure. The act states that

a local authority may, subject to the provisions of this section, incur expenditure which in their opinion is in the interests of, and will bring direct benefit to, their area or any part of it or all or some of its inhabitants, but a local authority shall not, by virtue of this subsection, incur any expenditure for a purpose for which they are, either unconditionally or subject to any limitation or to the satisfaction of any condition, authorised or required to make any payment by or by virtue of any other enactment.”

What this means is that there is a total expenditure limit of £7.20 per elector in 2014/15. This limit is reviewed annually by the Department for Communities and Local Government.

It was noted that currently the Parish Council has some unallocated money in its Grants budget. Two issues related to this were discussed:

  • The Chairman reported that at its AGM last week, the Sports Club advised that their Treasurer had resigned for family reasons, and this had affected their normal processing preparing a grant request. Their AGM was provided with an update on the MUGA path lighting project which they received Parish Council grant funding for last year. These lights have now been restored – to the originally installed design. The Sports Club is also looking into the problem with the far end of the fence to the MUGA playing area. They have also highlighted that they currently have a bill of £500 for repairs to the MUGA playing surface. It was noted that the Sports Club need to spend money renewing the doors to the Pavilion. The Council noted that a grant request may be submitted shortly.
  • The Council has occasionally provided grant funding to the Village Primary school or PTA. It was felt appropriate to invite the organisers of the current “Walking Bus” scheme to bid for some financial support from the Parish Council.

13. receipt of Progress report on development of new website.

It was reported that the website is now up and running in parallel with the old one, although not yet competed. Mr Gracey will be invited to attend the next Full Council meeting to talk through issues related to this. Action: Parish Clerk to arrange visit Mr Gracey for a briefing on its functionality, and to arrange for the data projector to be available for the next Full Council meeting.

14. Consideration of quotation for capping rail on fence to Deans Drove – Foxhills Open Space path.

After a brief discussion it was RESOLVED to accept the quotation of £320 + VAT from Honeybun Plant Hire for this work.

15. Consideration of arrangements for Remembrance Sunday.

Remembrance Sunday is on 9th November. Council members are usually invited to attend a service which concludes at the War Memorial.

The Parish Clerk referred to an email from Kevin Cheleda, Highway Network Manager, Dorset County Council on 5th Sept 2014 which explained that relevant legislation states that RBL branches are unable to take the lead in organising parades for such events, but should be involved in doing so by initiating the request for an event and taking part in the necessary detailed planning. The email also indicates that any request for road closures etc for a parade should be made to DCC by the Parish Council. As no contact has been received by the Parish Council from the RBL or any other local body for a remembrance parade in the village in 2014, it is assumed the occasion will be marked by some kind of informal gathering not involving a parade or road closures. However, it is noted that even in the case of an informal event, public liability insurance cover should be obtained.

16. REPORTS Of TRAINING ACTIVITy UNDERTAKEN IN THE PAST MONTH

There was none.

17. REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES (by exception)

Village Fayre DAPTC Footpaths Village Hall
School Liaison Youth Organisations Sports Club

There were none.

18. Council to approve the following payments due: –

Council to approve the following payments due: –

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3363 T Watton Clerk’s salary – September (12 equal monthly payments by standing order) 878.20 0.00 878.20
3364 T Homer Handyman duties – August. 182.99 0.00 182.99
3365 Continental Landscapes Grass Cutting, Southern end of Rec – August 20.00 4.00 24.00
3366 The Landscape Group Cemetery maintenance- August 303.49 60.70 364.19
3367 Brighstone Landscaping Ltd Tree work – Library Walk. 400.00 80.00 480.00
3368 BT Payment Services Ltd Parish Office phone and Broadband 102.71 18.94 121.65
3369 Honeybun Plant Hire Ltd Construction of Deans Drove – Foxhills OS path 8699.25 1739.85 10,439.10
3370 Aerial Tree Services Ltd Fell cypress trees at rec and remove all waste 2600.00 0.00 2600.00
3371 K Norris Reimbursement of mileage expenses incurred – attendance at DAPTC meeting 10.00 0.00 10.00
3372 Royal Mail Group Ltd Business reply postage – NP responses. 0.36 0.07 0.43

It was RESOLVED to approve all the payments listed above.

19. CORRESPONDENCE.

The Parish Clerk referred to two items of outgoing correspondence. In accordance with Council decisions he has written to Santander Bank PLC to request that the remaining funds in its Current Account and Business Direct Saver Account are now transferred to the Council’s HSBC Community Current Account and HSBC Community Savings Account respectively. Both of these letters required a minimum of two signatures by the Council’s authorised signatories. These were duly obtained.

20. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION

There were none.

The meeting closed at 9:30pm.