Minutes of the MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Monday April 20th 2015 at 7:00 in the Village Hall, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs: M Colvey, R Carswell, A Huggins, I Maitland, K Norris, J Taylor (from 7:30pm), P Webb, E Wilson, C Wood and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

County Cllr F Drane was also present.

1. REceipt of apologies for absence – Cllrs A Bush and A Cottman.

2. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS.

The Chairman offered congratulations to Cllr Cottman on the birth of his son, James; and to Cllr Maitland for a new grandson.

3. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

4. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

There was none.

5. THE MINUTES of the Council meeting on March 16th 2015 were approved as a true record of the meeting, and signed by the Chairman. Thanks were proposed for the additional time and effort the Parish Clerk had expended to prepare the lengthy notes of items 4 and 5.

7. MATTERS ARISING & UPDATE ON ACTION POINTS.

  1. Minute 13, 18th August 2014. Establishment of Google Diary. Cllr Carswell had previously commented that he would develop and circulate some instructions to guide members in how to link their diaries to the online calendar on the Council’s website; and also how to add items to the website calendar. Action: Cllr Carswell to prepare and email this briefing – CARRIED FORWARD.
  2. Minute 10, 15th September 2014. Litter bin for MUGA. Awaiting installation by the Village Handyman. It was noted that this has not been installed yet. CARRIED FORWARD.
  3. Minute 17, 15th December 2014 – correspondence with a resident regarding poor mobile phone signal. Cllr Colvey had indicated that he would raise this matter with Ofcom, but had not yet been able to do so. Action: Cllr Colvey to contact Ofcom accordingly. CARRIED FORWARD.
  4. Minute 10, 19th January 2015 – Allotment Society to be asked by Cllr Colvey for their views on the idea of charging new plot holders a substantial deposit to be used in the event of it being necessary to clear the plot up after it is eventually vacated. This matter is now included in a report of the proceedings of the liaison meeting with Allotment holders held on Wednesday 25th March 2015. DISCHARGED.
  5. Minute 10, 19th January 2015 – Dog control signage. The Parish Clerk reported that although he now had quotations from two contractors, one further quotation is still required.
  6. Minute 13, 19th January 2015 – matters raised during visit to the village by County Cllr P Finney and Officers from DCC. A letter containing thecollated details has now been sent to Cllr Finney.
  7. Minute 17, 19th January 2015 – review of the Council’s banking arrangements. Cllr Wood reported that she had visited HSBC Bank on Saturday 18th April with her evidence of identity as required by the bank.
  8. Minute 22, 19th January 2015 –Venues for Council meetings. After a brief discussion it was agreed that the Parish Clerk should book the Blanchard Room for all meetings for the three months from May-July 2015 inclusive. It was also agreed that a small group of Council members would meet urgently to brainstorm the matter of meeting venues. The group is to consist of Cllrs Wood, Wilson, Carswell and Huggins. Actions: (i) Parish Clerk to book the Blanchard Room as indicated above. (ii) The named four council members to arrange to meet accordingly.
  9. Minute 8v, 16th February 2015 – DCC Members divisional budget. The Parish Council element (£500) is subject of a recommendation under minute 11(b) (iii) below. The youth / community element (£1000) requires a relevant group (or groups) to be prompted to approach Cllr Drane with the details of their project(s). Cllr Norris indicated that he would advise the Scouts, and Cllr Cottman would advise the Sports Club accordingly. Action: Cllrs Norris and Cottman to obtain responses from representatives of the Scouts and Sports Club respectively. CARRIED FORWARD.
  10. Minute 13, 16th February 2015 – Primrose donation to Village Hall toilets refurbishment project. The Parish Clerk reminded those present that the formal letter of response to Primrose, based on the expert advice from NALC about the VAT element of the project, and enclosing the firm quotation for the full project, had been sent on 20th February. As no response had yet been received Cllr Colvey will, as agreed, now write to Primrose. Action: Cllr Colvey to write to primrose accordingly.

8. District Cllrs report.

Cllr Colvey remarked that the business carried out at the recent PDC meeting had mostly been the acceptance of minutes of committee meetings, etc.

It was noted that Kimmeridge is to have a new village hall which will also serve as a museum. This is being part-funded through a loan from PDC, and will be the flagship location for the Swanage end of the Jurassic Coast. Kimmeridge will also be the site of a loaned Anthony Gormley sculpture.

It has been decided to make the Purbeck Holiday Guide an “online-only” publication. It will no longer be produced in hard copy.

In response to a question, it was confirmed that there is no further report on the performance of the Dorset Waste Partnership.

Cllr Colvey reaffirmed that the letter to DCC Councillor Peter Finney regarding matters raised during his visit to the village last year has now been sent. He expressed thanks to County Cllr Drane for the important part he played in arranging that visit.

9. County Councillor’s report

County Cllr Drane began by expressing his disappointment that the letter which has gone to County Cllr Peter Finney regarding the matters first raised during his visit to the village last year had not mentioned Cllr Drane. He made the point that if he is seen to have been copied in to such correspondence he can use his position on DCC to apply pressure for satisfactory resolution of the items raised.

Cllr Drane reported that he would be attending the full DCC meeting on 23rd April – where it is possible for members to raise any issue they wish to. Cllr Drane indicated that he intended to complain about the poor condition of roads in Lytchett Matravers – with the aim of getting DCC officers into the village to see them first hand and to agree repairs.

Cllr Drane commented that there seems to be some confusion at DCC regarding how to manage the emerging problem of poor DWP performance. DWP has overspent by £3m to date. He remarked that he is on a committee which scrutinises the other committees. This scrutiny coverage includes DWP – but the committee had only scrutinised DWP once. It seems that DCC has recognised the need to strengthen their Scrutiny Committee and its operation.

He commented on the matter of the individual members’ discretionary budgets, by reporting that things are moving quickly in the Lytchett Minster & Upton part of his area – in that cheques have been prepared for the Scouts and the Town Council projects. He encouraged Lytchett Matravers to finalise its project(s).

The Chairman thanked Cllr Drane for his report. He also asked whether Cllr Drane knew which agency had been responsible for the litter picking operation on the Upton bypass. It was confirmed that the work had been done by DWP. Cllr Colvey the expressed concern at the poor standard of this work.

10. REPORTS FROM SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS

Neighbourhood Planning Group.

Cllr Wilson commented that Mr Gracey had been at the most recent meeting to discuss the new website and advertising efforts. Cllr Bush is to set up a further meeting of the full committee for Thursday 23rd April. A meeting of the informal group will also be set up quickly – with details to be circulated to those involved.

11. Recommendations from Committees:

(a) Planning Committee – meeting 2nd April 2015:

There were no recommendations to bring forward.

(b) Finance & Policy Committee – meeting 13th April 2015; Recommendations –

(i) Receipt of the bank reconciliation as attached at Appendix 1 to the minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting of 13th April 2015. AGREED.

(ii) Approval of the expenditure of £600 for construction of a Neighbourhood Planning website and £150 for online marketing of neighbourhood plan / consultation process using existing channels. This is in accordance with the quotation from Mr Gracey given in his email of 18th March 2015, which was copied to all Council members. This expenditure is pending the receipt of a grant for Neighbourhood Planning. AGREED.

(iii) That the revised versions of the Council’s Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and Code of Conduct for Councillors, as attached at Appendices 2, 3 and 4 to the Finance & Policy Committee minutes of 13th April 2015, are adopted. AGREED.

(iv) The acceptance of the 2014/15 Fixed Asset Register, with the addition of the increase in the Prudential Investment value, as attached at Appendix 5 to the minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting of 13th April 2015. AGREED.

(v) The acceptance of the revised Statement of Earmarked Reserves as attached at appendix 6 to the minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting of 13th April 2015. AGREED.

(vi) That the Finance and Policy Committee would continue receiving and considering the performance reports for the investment with Prudential; and that the investment would be reviewed if its performance deteriorates. AGREED.

(vii) The acceptance of a quotation of £186.00 (plus VAT) from N W Adams for the annual inspection of the Play Areas. AGREED.

(viii) The payment of grants of £200 to the Lytchett Matravers Twinning Association and £150 to the Purbeck Film Festival, in line with their requests. AGREED.

It was RESOLVED to receive the minutes of both of the above meetings.

11. Arrangements for Annual Parish Meeting, 2015.

Cllr Colvey asked that some volunteers to be at the Village Hall by 09:30 to assist with setting-up. The meeting is intended to finish at around 12:30, and it will take the form of a general open forum with Council members circulating to pick up any issues or concerns requiring discussion or action. Attendance of the following local organisations was confirmed:

Primary School, Friends of Lytchett Matravers Library, Castle Players, Allotment Society, WI, Thursday Club, Purbeck Film Club, The Doctors Surgery, Art Group, Methodist Church, Village Hall Committee, Guides, Gardening Club, Purbeck Citizens Advice Bureau.

12. Consideration of issues arising from liaison meeting with Allotment Holders on 25th March 2015.

Cllr Norris explained that he is preparing a report based initially on the notes from the meeting on 25th March, combined with comments from the Parish Clerk. When it is complete this will be circulated to all council members and the Allotment holders. He summarised some of the issues raised and suggested actions, so far.

  • Regarding the matter of badly kept plots, it had been suggested to seek the views of Mr Mills on a definition of what is acceptable. Mr Mills is an allotment holder himself and has spent considerable time clearing plots which had been vacated and left in a poor state.
  • On the matter of the state in which plots are expected to be left, it has been suggested that a common-sense approach of “leave it as you would expect to find it” may be most effective.
  • It was noted that pet dogs at the allotments can cause a nuisance or annoyance to some people. Whilst there is no specific rule preventing plot holders taking dogs to the allotments, it was noted that a condition of the rental agreement is that all plot holders are mindful not to cause annoyance to others. A general letter may be sent to allotment holders highlighting that this includes responsibility for the behaviour of any dogs which they take there.
  • The trees growing in Dyetts Wood overhang the track on the allotment fields, adjacent to the woods – as well as shading the plots nearest to it. It is hoped to contact the owner of the woods to agree some work to cut back this overhang.

It was noted that Allotment holders would also like to have a sign indicating that access to the site is restricted to Allotment holders only.

13. Necessity for review of the licence pertaining to the northern end of the allotment field where bees have been kept since 2003.

Cllr Colvey explained the background to this matter by explaining that it had come the Council’s attention that last winter pigs had been raised on this land – which had been rented to a resident for the exclusive purpose of keeping bees. This had promoted an examination of the rental arrangements, and revealed that a review of these was long overdue. Consequently, a site visit has been undertaken, a letter sent to the bee-keeper advising of the review, and a precautionary notice to cease the rental arrangement if the review outcome decided on an alternative use for the land. The review is to be carried out by the Environment & Amenities Committee. Action: Parish Clerk to add this matter to the agenda of the next E&A Committee meeting.

14. Receipt of remaining Risk Assessments 2015.

The Parish Clerk reported that he has now received risk assessment forms for the Cemetery, the Memorial Green and the Bus Shelters.

15. Consideration of renewal of membership of the Open Spaces Society.

It was RESOLVED to continue with this membership.

16. Consideration of Clerk’s membership of the Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC).

It was RESOLVED to continue with this membership.

17. Consideration of (i) suggested names for the Foxhills-Deans Drove path, (ii) arrangements for naming ceremony event.

Those present were reminded that Cllr Bush had circulated a list of suggestions by students at Lytchett Matravers Primary School from which members should pick their top three favourite names. Those who had not done so were asked to respond ASAP. It was suggested that whatever name the thoroughfare is given it should not include the suffix “Lane” as this may mislead by implying that there is right of vehicle access. The matter of the naming ceremony arrangements was not discussed.

18. REPORTS Of TRAINING ACTIVITy UNDERTAKEN IN THE PAST MONTH. There was none.

19. REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES (by exception)

Sports Club DAPTC Footpaths Village Hall
School Liaison Youth Organisations

Village Hall: Cllr Wilson reported that the AGM on 7th April had been successful.

Sports Club: Cllr Colvey commented that he understood from Mike Fudge (Sports Club Secretary) that the Sports Club would like to have access to more sports pitches, and are still hoping to utilise the land at the former RBL club in the village.

20. COUNCIL TO APPROVE THE FOLLOWING PAYMENTS DUE: –

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3433 T Watton Clerk’s salary – April (12 equal monthly payments by standing order) 905.05 0.00 905.05
3434 T Homer Handyman duties – March. 238.50 0.00 238.50
3435 Continental Landscapes Grass Cutting, Southern end of Rec – March 20.00 4.00 24.00
3436 The Landscape Group Cemetery maintenance – March 303.49 60.70 364.19
3437 Southern Electric Car park lighting – quarter 4, 2014-15 16.58 0.82 17.40
3438 K Norris Reimbursement of expenses for litter picking equipment 10.65 2.10 12.75
3439 Wessex print and Signage Ltd Banner for Annual Parish Meeting 88.00 17.60 105.60
3440 Churches Fire Security Ltd Club Hall fire equipment – check and maintenance 167.28 33.46 200.74
3441 Village Hall Fee for electricity used in Parish Office 268.12 0.00 268.12
3442 S P Mills Rubbish Clearance at allotments: (i) pavilion and 13 plots, (ii) make good 13 plots, (iii) reimbursement for cost of skip hire. 905.00 0.00 905.00
3443 Open Spaces Society Membership renewal 2015-16 45.00 0.00 45.00
3444 The Society of Local Council Clerks Membership renewal 2015-16 149.00 0.00 149.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all the payments listed above.

21. “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents – record of decisions taken by Parish Clerk.

The Parish Clerk reported on four decisions he had taken on the Council’s behalf since the March Full Council meeting:

(i) Renewal of the annual licence for Lighthouse Family Church to occupy and operate Club Hall.

(ii) Renewal of the two annual licences issued to Gables Garage to park up to 3 cars (per licence) in the Club Hall car park.

(iii) A request to O’Neil Digging Services to work with the Parish Clerk to set out a new section of burial plots at Row Park Cemetery.

(iv) The transfer of the sum of £4,000 from the Council’s HSBC Community Savings Account to its HSBC Community Current Account in order to ensure there were sufficient funds immediately available to cover the value of the payments authorised at this meeting.

22. CORRESPONDENCE.

The Parish Clerk reported on receipt of five items of correspondence:

A letter from the Council’s current insurer advising that the existing 3 year cover deal has now expired. A new quotation is included, giving costs for 1 year and 3 year renewals. The Parish Clerk will scan and circulate this to all members as pre reading for a decision to be taken at the May Full Council meeting. Action: Parish Clerk to circulate the schedule and quote accordingly.

A letter of thanks from Mr Graham Lee for nominating him as Volunteer of the Year for Lytchett Matravers for 2015.

A letter from Fields In Trust enclosing their Spring newsletter.

A letter and poster forwarded by DAPTC advising of the Great Dorset Beach Clean in April.

An email from a resident of Eldons Drove describing an incident of littering in which a dispute took place with the un-named person who dropped the litter.

23. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION

Cllr Norris commented on the next litter pick, which will be planned through the Environment & Amenities Committee.

County Cllr Drane drew attention to the DCCs “Ask Dorset” campaign, which encourages communities to nominate their biggest problem to solve. He remarked on the money DCC has received from central government for highway maintenance.

The meeting closed at 8:50pm.

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………