Notes from Meeting with Lytchett Matravers Allotment Holders on 11th October 2017

Attendees: Steve Lee, Steve Kelly, Bert Young, Caro Taylor, Raili Bush, Steve Mills and Martyn Colvey (MC) and Keith Norris (KN) from the Parish Council (PC).

  1. Vacant plots – there are 4 but with interest being shown in plot 12.
  2. Rent renewal notices will be going out mid November with rental fees remaining at £32 and £16.
  3. Tree growth from Dyetts Wood – although MC had asked the land owner if the large trees will be lopped once the nesting season is over, no reply had been received. However, on the 12th October (!) a reply was received saying “Yes it`s a good time of year for this work and I will muster the troops.”.
  4. Drainage
  • Since the last meeting Steve Mills and Stephen Lee reported that a survey of allotment holders asking for known drainage problems elicited an 80% response.
  • As a result a site meeting was held with drainage contractors J Bascombe. A detailed breakdown was given of the excavation, piping, aggregate and machinery costs for piping down the 2 central trackways into the roadside ditch. This indicated 560m of piping work totalling £15k pointing to a budget of £20k being needed. This assumes:
    • all spoil can be left on site at the existing pile by Dyetts Wood
    • DCC will have no objection to drainage (at 2 points) into the roadside ditch – KN to check with DCC
  • 2 more quotes from contractors will be sought.
  • Before Grant Applications can be made:
    • An Allotment Society Constitution will have to be adopted with officers duly appointed
    • A Bank Account put in place with at least 2 signatories
    • Upto date Accounts have to be available.
    • A statement from the Parish Council to support the bona fides of the Allotment Society will be needed
  • KN to check with Dorset Community Action (DCA) who will review our grant applications now that Natasha Senior has left
  1. Provision of a toilet

As drainage is the priority, this is still work in progress.

  1. Any Other Business
  • Metal has been dumped into the hedge near Sarah`s plot
  • KN expressed the PC`s concern that a collective compost heap is building up near the piles for wood chippings and manure and asked plot holders to be watchful as composting should be on their own plots with waste disposed of at the tip.
  • The PC continues to encourage a local tree surgeon to drop occasional loads of wood chippings, free of charge to all, and those present confirmed this is very welcome. Similarly well-rotted horse manure is occasionally delivered free of charge
  1. Date of Next Meeting – 7 30 pm Wednesday March 21st 2018 (venue to be advised)

NB This note of meeting is being sent to all allotment holders