On Wednesday 22nd April 2020 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Huggins (Vice Chairman), M Attridge, B Barker, M Colvey, P Webb, R Watts (from 19:50), C Wood and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllr B Pipe; and two members of the public representing the Lytchett Matravers Angels.


One of the two local residents who had initiated the community Covid-19 response group now known as the Lytchett Matravers Angels spoke. She summarised the work undertaken to set up the community support group and its ongoing activities, including the need also to link up with Social Services and other agencies. She explained that they had initially been taken by surprise by some of the needs, but that there is a very strong team of 75 volunteers who are coping very well with meeting those needs. She commented that the “structure had to go by the wayside” at little at first as there no tried and tested example to follow.

Cllr Wood expressed thanks to the organisers for what they are doing and recognised the way in which this has become a focus for people throughout the village to respond positively. Cllr Wood went on to draw the contrast between the Council which has to operate within official regulations and processes, represents and the voluntary organisation which has the flexibility to meet immediate needs as they emerge. She hoped that the village as a whole would make full use of the strengths of the structure represented by the Council in partnership with the immediacy of response of the volunteers group to the benefit of the village, masking best use of both of those different strengths. She recognised that there was a need to have a separate discussion regarding the arrangements for the administration of the monines available to support those in need, and also to meet the out of pocket costs of those volunteers providing the support.

The Community representative went on to acknowledge the help, support and resources researched and provided by Cllrs Barker and Bush, especially with regard to IT & communications – and the flow of volunteering information and those members of the community needing support.

Cllr Pipe also recognised the progress made, and wished to arrange to speak separately with those involved to provide a similar arrangement at Lytchett Minster & Upton.

Cllr Webb asked about the number of volunteers compared with the level of demand for support, and how the volunteers are being used. It was established that some are currently on “standby” in anticipation of further build-up of demand. The LM Angels’ representative explained that there had been a certain level of review of the circumstances of volunteers to verify their level of availability, what they are able to do, and whether or not they are already DBS checked – so that volunteers can be best matched to the range of tasks – i.e. making welfare calls, making vehicle journeys for shopping, pharmacy runs, etc. Cllr Webb wondered how the interest of those on “standby” could be maintained so they don’t feel left out.

In response to a question, it was confirmed that the Lytchett Matravers Angels are registered with and known to the volunteers co-ordination efforts being operated by Dorset Council. This ensures that any requests for local support which are received centrally can be communicated to the local group for attention if necessary.

There was some recognition of the difficulties in finding volunteers who are holders of “enhanced” DBS certificates in Lytchett Minster & Upton; and it was reported by Cllr Pipe that no further certification of community volunteers is being undertaken in the Poole area. The LM Angels representative pointed out that any volunteers who responded to the national NHS Volunteering appeal they will get a DBS check, free of charge.

A second representative of the LM Angels joined the meeting after about 10 minutes. She commented further on the level of local demand for support, and on the process of feeding back on this support activity each week. On average 30-33 residents per week need tasks carried out for them, and there has been lots of positive feedback from those receiving such support. Cllr Barker later clarified that there are currently 83 residents on the request list, not all of which need support activity each week. This work is sometimes in conjunction with Social Services, and no attempts are made to take over any clinical roles or substitute for recognised professional services where they are needed.

Cllr Wood wondered whether there was anything else that the Parish Council could do or provide as support for the volunteers’ scheme – either as a Council or as individual Council members. There was currently nothing required, but the organisers welcomed the offer and thanked the Council for it. The point was reiterated that the circumstances in which this has been set up are unprecedented and that the logistics, structure and administration for all such groups around the country has had to be set up hurriedly and may yet need some refinement.


Cllr Pipe commented that his report had mostly concerned the setting up of the community support group for Lytchett Minster and Upton and some of his contributions are incorporated into the notes bove. LM & Upton has a small group of volunteers (38, all DBS checked; 3 with enhanced DBS), which is currently coping well with the number of requests for shopping and doctors’ prescriptions. All of their requests for support come through the Dorset Volunteers coordination network, rather than direct from members of the public. The LM & Upton group have linked specific volunteers to individual users of the service so that they can develop the knowledge of the specific needs involved. The LM & Upton group is currently providing support to an average of 20-30 people per week for prescriptions, shopping, and some signposting to other services where required.

In response to a question, Cllr Pipe confirmed that Dorset Council is continuing to operate, with scheduled meetings taking place with remote attendance from members, using IT solutions. Cllr Pipe also referred to a weekly briefing for members of essential information. This has a facility to submit written questions which are intended to be addressed during that session.

Cllr Webb sought a comment on the introduction, for the period of the crisis when site visits might not be possible, of a facility for Planning applicants and their agents being able to submit photographs of sites in support of their proposals. Evidently this is intended to be part of the process then used by DC Planning Officers when they consider the impact on neighbouring properties, the street scene and the surrounding area. Cllr Webb expressed some concern about the scope for misinformation arising from this. It seems Cllr Pipe was not aware of this, but will now keep a watch out for such applications.

Cllr Wood referred to an ongoing issue regarding communication to David Northover (Dorset Council) regarding concerns about a message which had come to her attention that land adjacent to the former RBL Club site in Lytchett Matravers which is currently in the greenbelt would “obviously” to be included in the Purbeck Local Plan. She had asked why this was “obvious”, given that a proposal to build houses on this land had already been turned down by the Planning Inspectorate on appeal. It was noted that as at the date of this meeting Mr Northover had not even acknowledged Cllr Wood’s query on this matter. Cllr Wood confirmed that she had also raised this with Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton, in view of her role on the Eastern Area Planning Committee. It was also clarified that the underlying question is that whether the PLP process will now include a movement of the greenbelt boundary to encompass this land in question within the emerging Local Plan without consultation. Cllr Pipe agreed to take this up. Action: Cllr Pipe to take the matter up with David Northover accordingly.

In response to a question, Cllr Pipe commented that it had been decided not to move the travellers from their location at Lytchett Minster Upton during the period of the crisis.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence. Cllrs A Bush, R Carswell, and A Cottman.

2. To receive any declarations of Pecunary interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011. There were none.

3. TO receive AND RESOLVE to APPROVE THE Minutes of The PARISH Council Meeting on 25th March 2020. It was RESOLVED to approve these as a true record of the meeting. The minutes were then duly signed by the Council Vice Chairman, and forwarded by email to the Parish Clerk.

4. TO RECEIVE and consider REPORTS OF PAST SUBJECT MATTERS (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made by members during the meeting.

i. Dorset Cllrs Report, Minutes 23rd October 2019 – DC Criteria for placement of SIDs. The Parish Clerk had arranged for Joe Allen, Principal Technician, Transportation Modelling at Dorset Council to make a site visit to review the identified likely locations for SIDS. A report of that meeting was circulated to members on 23rd February. The Parish Clerk requested Mr Allen to arrange for the requisite traffic surveys at four locations within the village. The report of those surveys was received from Dorset Council and circulated to members on Monday 25th March 2020. It was noted that the next stage was for the Council to consider whether it wishes to go ahead with the purchase of a SID unit, whether to request Dorset Council to install the necessary three poles at the required locations, and whether it wishes to request Dorset Council to undertake the task of relocating the SID between the three locations at the requisite 4 weekly intervals. The Parish Clerk referred to the SID site visit report referred to above – which includes the costs of the majority of these items / actions. It was decided at the March Full Council meeting to defer any decision on this until the April meeting by which time a more fully costed proposal could be available – subject of a separate report and agenda item (item 7).

ii. Minute 13, 23rd October 2019 – Replacement fence for Rocket Park play area. The Parish Clerk has now placed the order for the fence with the chosen supplier, and the delivery and installation arrangements are set up with Poole Business Services. Now awaiting the delivery and scheduled installation date.

  1. Minute 7.1, 26 February 2020 – Contact Santander to close the two dormant bank accounts. Outstanding. Deferred due to the current health crisis, i.e. (i) bank advisor availability, and (ii) the possibility that the accounts might be needed for some purpose during the crisis.
  2. Minute 7.2, 26 February 2020 – PBS to lay 5 square metres of rubber flooring inside Rocket Park south side gateway to address worn, sharp concrete edge. This has been booked with Poole Business Services and it is hoped this will be done in the next 2 weeks or so.
  3. Minute 7.3, 26 February 2020 – Request Poole Business Services to supply and installation of 48 recycled plastic posts, plus relocation of 2 dropping posts. Order placed. Installation date may be affected by the current health crisis.
  4. Minute 7.5, 26 February 2020 – Replacement of the Lytchett Astro floodlights with LED specification units together with controls for automated timing. Also to query availability of modification to include BS-EN1063 lenses. Work completed. DISCHARGED
  5. Minute 15, 26 February 2020 – Booking the Scout hall for Annual Parish Meeting. This had been booked for the APM to be held between 11am-1pm on Saturday 18th April 2020. However, in the compliance with the current instructions from Government in response to the Covid-19 crisis this meeting was postponed. Government guidance via NALC now permits Annual Parish Meetings to be cancelled for 2020. DISCHARGED
  6. Minute 20, 26 February 2020, bullet 1 – Sutcliffe Play South West to order and install replacement parts for the zip wire at Rocket Park. Update requested from Sutcliffe Play South West. A view was expressed that the current social distancing arrangements and closure of play areas made this an opportune time to get repairs such as this completed. The Parish Clerk has spoken to Sutcliffe Play South West about this and confirmed that they now have the parts in stock and are hoping to get the job completed week commencing 27th April 2020.

ix. Minute 20, 26 February 2020, bullet 2 – PBS to arrange for repair of the safety surfacing adjacent to the “Record” roundabout at Rocket Park. Update requested from Poole Business Services. A view was expressed that the current social distancing arrangements and closure of play areas made this an opportune time to get repairs such as this completed. The Parish Clerk has spoken to Poole Business Services to expedite this job.

5. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS (for purposes of report only) There were none.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the finance & General purposes committee meeting on 8th April 2020 (for purposes of report only) It was RESOLVED to receive and note the content of these minutes.

7. TO CONSIDER A REPORT COVERING THE OPTIONS, AND RELATED EXPENDITURE, FOR A DECISION TO PROGRESS TO THE NEXT STAGE OF THE PROJECT TO INTRODUCE A SPEED INDICATOR DEVICE AT THREE LOCATIONS IN LYTCHETT MATRAVERS. The Parish Clerk referred to a report he had prepared and circulated to all members in advance of the meeting. A copy is attached at appendix 1 to these minutes. It was unanimously RESOLVED to approve the recommendations to go ahead with the purchase of the SID unit, additional bracket and solar panels, the installation of the three poles and to sign up to the Section 72 agreement for DC to be responsible for the regular relocation of the SID unit between the three approved sites.

8. REVIEW OF THE RECOMMENDED EARMARKED RESERVES IN PREPARATION FOR THE ANNUAL RETURN (AGAR) FOR THE YEAR ENDING 31ST MARCH 2020. Two versions of the statement of earmarked reserves (based on both a 4% and 2% return on the council’s long term investment) had been circulated to all members in advance of the meeting. It was suggested that a further reserve is set up towards the cyclepath as this may be needed in 5 years time. Action: further review at the May F&GP Cttee meeting.

9. REVIEW OF THE ASSET REGISTER IN PREPARATION FOR THE ANNUAL RETURN (AGAR) FOR THE YEAR ENDING 31ST MARCH 2020. This had been circulated to all members in advance of the meeting. A copy is attached at appendix 2 to these minutes. It was unanimously RESOLVED to approve this.

10. CONSIDER A REPORT ON THE STATUS AND PROGRESS OF THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM AND THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY FUND. It was noted that the bulk of this had been covered within the general discussion which took place during the period of Public Participation before the meeting proper started.

However a question was asked about the level of usage of the foodbank, which is not directly related to the LM Angels’ volunteers operation. Cllr Barker reported that around 15 people are using it per week. Currently there is a need for dog food, which is short in the bank. She confirmed that Tesco is donating quite a lot to the bank; and there is a collection point in the local store for shoppers to donate. There are also paid-up shopping cards which can be given to those in need who use the foodbank so that they can buy fresh produce in the shop, since these sorts of products tend not to be donated direct to the bank to due to limited shelf-life.

11. To receive and consider reports of the following Working Groups:

(i) Village Centre: R Watts reported that the preferred bidder indicated that they were not able to proceed with the works at this time. A background check of the financial positions of the companies included in the list of potential suppliers has identified some areas of concern. Consideration is being given to splitting the works into separate packages of work, which would mitigate the risk to the Parish Council. Concerning the pharmacy steps element of this initiative, the Council’s solicitors Ellis Jones have received comments on the draft licence for the Pharmacy Steps project from the pharmacy owner and from Rexpharm. The issues raised have been investigated, and possible responses are being developed. To date responses to the draft licence have not been received from W R Holden (owners of the Tesco store) or from Tesco. Ellis Jones solicitors have been asked to chase this.

(ii) Library: A Bush. Nothing further reported.

(iii) Astro: A Huggins. Nothing further reported.

(iv) Village Hall: A Cottman. No report. There was however some speculation regarding the likely impact on Village Hall finances of the lack of lettings. Cllr Webb indicated that he would see what further information is available on this.

(v) Huntick Rd Cycle Path: A Huggins. Nothing further reported. However it was observed that a well-trodden path is appearing on the verge alongside Huntick Rd.

(vi) LM Trust structure: R Watts. Nothing to report.

(vii) Parish Council communications: B Barker. Cllr Barker commented on the large amount of communication on the website and social media. She encouraged members to engage with social media by looking in from time to time to see what is happening there.

(viii) Climate Emergency: R Carswell. Cllr Watts reminded that Council that they had approved the design for the Sports Pavilion detailed within the paper considered at the meeting on 25th March. This has now been communicated to Low Carbon Dorset (LCD) and the project is understood to be eligible for grant award from them. The next stage is to seek quotes for each element of the works and forward those quotes to LCD to assess. In order to do so specifications need to be drawn up for the works. Correspondence has also taken place with SSE contracting regarding 10Kw solar panel arrays for both the Sports Pavilion and the Youth Hut / Club Hall.

(ix) Broadband Provision Improvements: A Huggins. It was reported that Wessex Internet are still waiting for landowner response regarding access to land which is planned as part of the route for the connection of the remaining outlying properties.

12. To receive and consider a progress report on the defibrillator installations from cllr Huggins. Cllr Huggins reported that Electrical contractors Newlec Ltd plan to install the AED cabinets in the phone kiosk and at the Chequers PH on Thursday 23rd April at £200 per installation. A facility is available for remote monitoring (via wifi) of the condition of the AEDs. For the Chequers PH unit it has kindly been agreed by The Chequers that this can be via the pub’s public wifi. However for the phone kiosk this requires the installation of a remote “mifi” unit and setting up a small data contract @ £9.00 per month. Once the cabinets are in place Cllr Cottman will put the AED units in the cabinets. Graphics / signage and replacement glazing for the former phone kiosk can be fitted later as this is not on the project’s critical path to establishing the operation of the units. Regarding the AED cabinet to be installed on the Aster Housing premises, Aster have indicated that they wish to use their own contractor to do this, but there may be some delay because they do not wish to compromise their current Covid-19 shielding arrangements for their elderly residents.


Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4289 SSE Sports Pavilion Electricity Quarter 4 2019-20 (20 Dec 19 – 16 Mar 20) 96.52 4.82 101.34

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payment.


Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4290 T Watton Clerk’s salary – April (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 945.54 0.00 945.54
4291 Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib April 2020 373.14 0.00 373.14
4292 T Homer Handyman duties, March 2020 202.50 0.00 202.50
4293 SSE Car park lighting quarter 4 2019-20 (24 Dec 19- 25 Mar 20) 16.18 0.80 16.98
4294 Dorset Council Remembrance day sign stickers 28.00 5.60 33.60
4295 Dorset Council Annual land rental fee – youth club building 15.00 0.00 15.00
4296 Newlec Electrical Contractors Ltd Supply and fix 4 x LED floodlights at Lytchett Astro 3233.00 646.60 3879.60
4297 Catherine DuMayne Refund of allotment fees paid 67.00 0.00 67.00
4298 Gator Grafix Ltd Vinyl printing for AED phone box 150.00 30.00 180.00
4299 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Webinar course – resilience 30.00 6.00 36.00
4300 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Webinar course – preparing to meet website accessibility guidelines 120.00 24.00 144.00
4301 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Webinar course – creating accessible word and .PDF documents 30.00 6.00 36.00
4293 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – March 20 303.49 60.70 364.19
4294 A Bush Payment into LM Emergency Fund account 800.00 0.00 800.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

15. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month. The Parish Clerk reported that he had attended a webinar run by SLCC on “Resilience”. He has two further webinars booked for May: (i) assessing and dealing with compliance with the website accessibility regulations (compliance required by Sept 2020), and (ii) the creation of accessible documents.

16. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents. There were none.

17. Correspondence.

Cllr Huggins reported that he had received a phone call from the organisers of the Lytchett Angels expressing concerns about some aspects of liaison with the Council. He indicated that he would contact the Chairman about this.

The Parish Clerk reported on two items of correspondence:

(i) The renewal notice for the Council’s Insurance policy (renewal date 1st June 2020).

(ii) Email from PKF Littlejohn with the instructions for the 2019/20 Annual Return (AGAR), which encompass changes to the relevant statute and Regulations regarding accounts and audit for the 2019/20 reporting year – i.e.:

(a) SI 2020/392 which provides for greater flexibility in the conduct of meetings, including allowing members to attend remotely, and for the public and press access to those meetings, and;

(b) SI 2020/404 The Accounts and Audit (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020, which amends the deadline for the AGAR; and the date that the auditors’ Certificate of Opinion must be published from 30th September to 30th November. Also under the new regulations there is no requirement for a common period for the exercise of public rights, but that the Council is required to set a period of 30 days for this which must start on or before 1st September 2020.

18. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is its Annual Meeting and is scheduled to take place online only on Wednesday 27th May 2020 at 7pm. The access link to this meeting will be made available to members of the public on request from the Parish Clerk (tel 07824 829491 or email lytchettmatravers )

The meeting closed at 20:45

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………

Full Council minutes 22 April 2020