Held on Wednesday January 17th 2018 at 7:00 in the Methodist Church, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs A Bush (Vice Chairman), B Barker (from 19:15), R Carswell, A Cottman, A Huggins, K Norris, R Watts, P Webb, C Wood (from 19:45) and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: District Councillor W. Meaden, County Cllr P Wharf.

No members of the public were present.


There was none.

District Councillor’s Report

Cllr Meaden’s and Cllr Webb’s joint report is attached at appendix 1 to these minutes.

Cllr Bush sought to confirm that the proposed RES would be amongst the schemes considered by the PDC Planning Committee at its meeting on 31st January 2018. County Cllr Wharf confirmed that it is on the agenda of that meeting. Dist Cllr Webb has advised Alan Davies that he wishes to speak in relation to this proposal at the PDC meeting. He commented that he will be seeking a deferral because PDC are in the middle of the process of formulating the Local Plan.

Members wishing to speak were advised to be prompt in contacting PDC Planning to book their 3 minute slot to do so.

Cllr Meaden advised that she would be speaking in support of the RES based on the level of local need she has observed.

Members were also reminded of the event being run by PDC for Parish & Town Councils on the Purbeck Local Plan. This is to be held on 30th January 2018. Cllr Webb is attending as a District Cllr. Parish Cllrs Huggins and Watts also indicated their intention to attend. Action: Parish Clerk to book places on their behalf.

County Councillor’s Report

It was noted that a copy of Cllr Wharf‘s report had arrived too late to be circulated in advance of this meeting, so Cllr Wharf talked through it and indicated that he would forward a copy to the Parish Clerk afterwards for circulation to all members. A copy of the report is attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence – Cllrs M Colvey, C Wood (part meeting).


Cllr Cottman stated that his property is a near neighbour of the proposed development at 69 The Spinney (item 13 below).

3. TO receive AND RESOLVE to APPROVE THE Minutes of The Full Council Meeting on 20th December 2017. It was RESOLVED to approve these as a true record of the meeting and they were signed by the meeting Chairman.


It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. The italics below indicates additional comments made by members at the meeting.

  1. Minute 14, 21st September 2015 – website updating. Cllr Bush reported that he now has 10 profiles. DISCHARGED. Cllr Bush noted that there are a number of different styles employed and so he encouraged members to self-edit them if they wished to do so. It was noted that Cllr Taylor had taken photographs. Cllr Norris will approach him about these.
  2. Minute 20, 17th October 2016 Decommissioning of Telephone Kiosks: It is noted that BT have now responded with an offer to sell the kiosk at the Wareham Rd / Deans Drove junction to the Council for £1 (item 6 on the agenda of this meeting). The Council also has an option to purchase the kiosk on Huntick Rd opposite the Rose & Crown PH (item 7 on the agenda of this meeting). DISCHARGED
  3. Minute 8, 18th Sept 2017 – proposal to apply the double skin to the remaining three sides of Rocket Park. This work has now been completed. The contractor noted there were several palings missing from the outside face of the fence and so replaced these at the same time. DISCHARGED
  4. Minute 10, 18th Sept 2017 – proposal to clear undergrowth and shrubs along the metal fence adjacent to Library Walk, leaving just the oak trees and the low shrubs around the noticeboard and bordering High Street. As reported at the January meeting of the Finance & General Purposes Committee,Mr Mills has been commissioned to clear the southern end and remove the meal fence and a tree surgeon contractor has been requested to remove the undergrowth and to grade the remainder of the hedge line. DISCHARGED It is noted that monitoring of the satisfactory completion of this work to specification is a separate matter prior to consideration of approval for payment by the Council. It was noted that the Tree surgeon plans to carry out the works on 5th February 2018.
  5. Minute 10, 16th October 2017 – Proposal to award a grant of £100 to CALM for printing of publicity signs. This was approved at the October Full Council meeting and, as CALM does not have a bank account, it was arranged with Mr & Mrs McGill thatonce the work has been completed, they will submit a paid invoice to the Parish Council for reimbursement. This is still awaited.
  6. Minute 13, 20th November 2017 – to apply to Fields in Trust for protection for the Foxhills Open Space. The Parish Clerk has been in contact with Fields in Trust to obtain details of the nature of the protection FIT can offer. An email with background information and a copy of the draft deed has been received and is available for members’ scrutiny and to enable a proposal to be developed for Council consideration. The email also gives the personal contact details of the officer at FIT who can answer any further questions prompted by the information already supplied. Once members are satisfied with this information, Cllr Norris and the Parish Clerk will progress this application.

Cllr Watts has requested a copy of the FIT deed for the Recreation Ground in connection with his involvement in the “Village Centre” Working Group / project.

  1. Minute 15, 20th November 2017 – amendment to Allotment rental agreement reflecting the need to obtain consent from allotment holders to obtain and hold their personal details for the purposes of managing rentals. The rental renewal process, including receipt of signed revised agreements, is in progress. DISCHARGED.

viii. Minute 7, 20th December 2017 – Further detailed discussion by F&GP committee about detailed sub-budget allocations Action: To confirm the F&PG Committee meeting date when members will be available to work on this detail. To include:

· Allocating CIL monies to specific projects,

· Reviewing the tagging of monies invested with Prudential International to ensure that the capital which had been provided by the section 106 agreement for maintenance of the Foxhills Open Space in perpetuity is suitably protected,

· That the various sinking funds for replacement of Council assets such as play areas, skatepark, and Lytchett Astro, etc are adequately provided for and their future remains secure.

It was RESOLVED that this would be included on the agenda of the F&GP Cttee meeting to take place on 7th February. Action: Parish Clerk to include this accordingly.


There were none.

6. To resolve to accept and sign the agreement drawn up by BT and circulated to members by Cllr Colvey to purchase for £1 the former public telephone kiosk at the junction of Wareham Rd and Deans Drove, for the purpose of accommodating a defibrillator.After some discussion it was RESOLVED to purchase the box for £1 to accommodate a defibrillator, subject to confirmation that it would be permissible to remove the equipment and box at a later date if necessary, and not to be liable to maintain the box in perpetuity.

7. To consider a proposal to pursue the purchase of the public telephone kiosk situated on Huntick Rd opposite the Rose & Crown for the purpose of accommodating a defibrillator. After some discussion it was RESOLVED to defer this whilst a wider review is undertaken regarding the optimum number and locations for defibrillators in Lytchett Matravers.

On a separate but related matter Cllr Cottman expressed an opinion that grant funding might be available to pay for purchase and installation of defibrillators; and he indicated that he would pursue this. Action: Cllr Cottman to investigate this and report back accordingly.

8. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 3rd January 2018. It was RESOLVED to receive and note the content of the draft minutes of this meeting.

9. To receive and note the content of reports from Sub Committees and Working Groups as required. There were none. Cllr Bush proposed that that with immediate effect reports prepared by the Chair / leader of each Working Group will be received and considered as a standing agenda item at the Finance & General Purposes Committee meetings. RESOLVED.

10. To receive the report of the meeting with PDC undertaken by representatives of the Parish Council on Wednesday 10th January 2018. A copy of the notes prepared by Cllr Watts are attached at Appendix 3 to these minutes. It was noted that PDC representatives were unable to discuss any detail of the options for Lytchett Matravers. PDC plans to hold a consultation between 29th Jan – 21st Mar 2018. This will be supported by a questionnaire and leaflet to all households, and a more limited telephone survey. A drop-in event is scheduled for 17th February in the Village Hall and it was noted that there is an opportunity to participate in a collective way as a Parish Council; and so there is a need to establish a timetable of members’ attendance during that day. Cllrs Bush, Barker, Colvey, Carswell, Watts and Wood all indicated some availability. One issue which it was thought may be worth including in the 17th Feb event is consideration of the inclusion in the Local Plan of the policies which were removed from the LM Neighbourhood Plan. It was also noted that the Parish Council can submit a written response as part of the consultation process and so it was RESOLVED to include an agenda item at the February Full Council meeting to develop this. Action: Parish Clerk to add this to the draft agenda accordingly.

11. 6/2017/0744 Mrs Heather Campbell. Rose and Crown, 178 Wareham Road, LYTCHETT MATRAVERS, BH16 6DT. First floor extension over existing flat roof to form new letting rooms. NO OBJECTION.

12. 6/2017/0741 Mr A Cozens. Caroline Cottage, Prospect Road, LYTCHETT MATRAVERS, BH16 6ED. Variation of condition 2 of planning permission 6/2016/0721 (Subdivide plot and erect single dwelling in front garden of existing cottage, and single dwelling in rear garden of existing cottage with new access from Prospect Road and associated car parking) to amend the roofing material. The Council members considered that they were unable to comment on this application as it is not made clear what the previously proposed roofing material was. The supporting documentation provided with it also appeared to contain no detail regarding “condition 2”.

13. 6/2017/0699 Mr Ian Martin. 69 The Spinney, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6AT. Two storey rear extension. NO OBJECTION – subject to the condition subsequently agreed between the applicant and neighbours that the window which would otherwise be overlooking is of opaque glass.

14. 6/2017/0666 Roger Ong and Beverley Barker. Alder Rise, Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6BB. Demolish existing garage/store and sun room and replace with 2 storey outbuilding and garage. Erect replacement conservatory. NO OBJECTION

15. 6/2017/0562 Mr Dylan Hooper. Windy Brae, 5 Keates Meadow, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6NF. Remove existing garage door and replace with a brick wall and UPVC window. NO OBJECTION – provided the PDC Planning department can satisfy itself that there are adequate off-road parking spaces to match the potential increase in occupants of the dwelling.

16. 6/2017/0718 Badbury Developments Ltd. Three Jays, Deans Drove, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6EQ. Alteration and extension of existing dwelling and formation of new access. Demolition of existing outbuildings and erection of two detached bungalows to the rear, with associated access and parking.The Parish Council wish to register an OBJECTION to this proposed development in line with both local requirements and also District designations.

Traffic issues

Deans Drove suffers the most in the village from the congestion and parking issues from the school traffic. In a small road with no pavements, parking vehicles often stop in such a way that pedestrians are forced to walk in the road.

This proposal will triple the potential of vehicles being added to this congestion.

The plans are also not clear in the allowance of parking for each property (many of the plans are not accessible via the Dorset for You website as files are ‘corrupted’ and the paper copy was not sent to the Parish Council in time for our deliberations)


The character and appearance of Deans Drove has been characterised by PDC as a ‘village lane’



We do not believe that this level of backyard development and the tripling of housing density in this area are in line with this designation.

The points raised in the planning application do consider the appearance of Deans Drove but do not take into account increasing density of traffic. While this development might not be easily seen from the road, it is there and does have an impact on appearance, the ‘constant landscape’ and ‘village lane’ designations.

As such and in line with the PDC assessment the Council OBJECTS to this development proposal.

17. To approve the following payments due:-

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3867 T Watton Clerk’s salary – Jan (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 864.83 0.00 864.83
3868 DCC LGPS pension contrib January 343.62 0.00 343.62
3869 T Homer Handyman duties, December 2017 171.00 0.00 171.00
3870 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – December 2017 303.49 60.70 364.19
3871 AS Technology Ltd Supply of printer toner x2 and drum 53.65 10.73 64.38
3872 M J Gracey Website hosting & content update renewal (01/11/17-31/10/18) 570.00 0.00 570.00
3873 R Thynne Allotment rental refund (pre-paid rental cancelled) 32.00 0.00 32.00
3874 K Bradbury Locum clerk fee plus travelling – F&GP meeting 03/01/18 46.12 0.00 46.12
3875 Southern Electric Car park lighting quarter 3, 2017/18 16.35 0.81 17.16
3876 Water Business Allotment water supply 23/06/17-12/12/17 182.24 0.00 182.24
3877 R Burgess Double side fencing at Rocket Park 1325.00 0.00 1325.00
3878 HMRC PAYE & ENI 898.99 0.00 898.99
3879 Lytchett Matravers Methodist Church Hire for meetings – Aug-Nov 2017 350.00 0.00 350.00
3880 DCC Stickers (road signs) for Remembrance Day 36.00 7.20 43.20

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

18. to note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month On Tuesday 30th Jan 2018 the Parish Clerk and Mrs P White, the Council’s internal auditor, will be attending a seminardelivered by Rebecca Plane FCPFA, Senior Audit Manager at PKF Littlejohn LLP. This will provide an introduction to the new External Auditor, PKF Littlejohn LLP and the revised Annual Return process. It will cover completion/reporting, common issues 2016/17, looking forward to 2017/18, the Annual Return forms, elector correspondence, fees & charges, information/contact, etc.

19. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents. There were none.


Cllr Bush reported that he had been corresponding with DCC regarding transfers of various assets:

  • Land under the Youth Club building / Club Hall – Terms and conditions are still being worked up.
  • Village Library – a meeting took place with representatives from DCC Library Services and a set of action points were developed. A business plan needs to be developed.
  • Access point from Eldons Drove onto the land behind the school – this is proving to be complicated; with many issues to be considered. It is hoped to produce a report covering aspects of this for consideration at the February meeting of the F&GP Cttee.

The Parish Clerk reported on the following items of correspondence:

  • A letter from the treasurer of the Village Hall Committee thanking the Council for the grant towards the LED lighting project.
  • A letter from Purbeck Citizens’ Advice questing a grant in 2018 to continue support for the service Purbeck CAB run for local residents in the Lytchett Matravers library.

21. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

Issues for consideration at subsequent meetings:

· To review the legal requirements, guidance and good practice for Annual Parish meetings and consider how this meeting can be best utilised as part of the communication strategy for Lytchett Matravers Parish Council.

· To consider a proposal to demolish and remove the bus shelter at Lime Kiln Road opposite the war memorial.


The meeting closed at 9:00pm

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………