Meeting held on Wednesday February 10th 2021, at 7.00 p.m. online.

PRESENT: Cllr M Attridge (Committee Chair), B Barker, A Bush, R Carswell, M Colvey, A Huggins, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk). No members of the public were in attendance.


Apologies:A Cottman.

Declarations of Pecuniary Interest – and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.There were none.

To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 13th January 2021.

The minutes were ACCEPTEDas a true record and were forwarded to the meeting chair to sign and return.

To receive and consider reports of past subject matters.

The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]

i. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 7. Allotments hedge trimming (inside). A local contractor was approached to quote for this task and has responded with the following:

(a) Cut sides of hedge line, approx. 200m, from the inside of the allotments, back to wire fence

(b) All arisings to be chipped back into hedge

Total price of £2,950.00 + Vat

The above was noted by members and the Clerk was requested to obtain two further quotes. These are still to be obtained.

ii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 8. Parish Clerk to speak to the Gardening Contactor about undertaking 2 days pavement clearing with weed brush machine. This matter remains with Mr Mills and is awaiting the availability of a suitable machine for hire. At the January meeting it was agreed to put this initiative on hold. DEFERRED.

iii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 9. Possible art project by Lytchett Minster School students to eliminate graffiti on Skate Park. Cllr Attridge reported that a positive response had been received from the Head of Performance and Creative Art but that this had not been able to be progressed due to the November Covid-19 lockdown. The project is therefore shelved awaiting a more favourable time. DEFERRED

iv. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 11. Development of draft agreement for Defibrillator “hosts”. At the January F&GP Cttee meeting Cllr Huggins reported that he had made some progress on this, but that further information and clarification was still needed regarding the online monitoring of the units.

v. F&GP Cttee, 13 January 2021, Minute 12. Surface of Rocket Park – estimate from PBS of artificial surface. Cllr Huggins obtained this estimate and reported it to the Full Council meeting on 27th January. DISCHARGED. Members recognised the great efforts by Cllr Morgan, and the volunteers provided by a Lytchett Matravers Resident. Good user feedback has been received so far. It is intended to see how well the bark chippings work over the next few months and then consider whether this performs well enough to be a long term solution, with regular top-ups.

vi. F&GP Cttee Planning application responses sent to the DC Planning Team:

Planning application 6/2019/0530 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Limited. Land off Flowers Drove, Lytchett Matravers. Change of use of land to Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace (SANG) & associated car park. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined. Mr Collins (planning Officer) has advised that the Section 106 legal agreement is being drawn up. When this agreement has been signed the application can be issued.

Planning application 6/2020/0213 Selbys Yard, Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BB. Change of use of site to light industrial (use class B1), general industrial (use class B2) and storage and distribution (use class B8). Erect 15 industrial and storage units and a ‘welfare unit’ to serve the site. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.

Planning application 6/2020/0292. Land at New Park Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HP. Erect temporary agricultural workers dwelling. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined. It is due to be considered by the Eastern Area Planning Committee on Wednesday 10th February 2021. It was noted that this had been approved at the meeting of the Eastern Area Planning Committee on Wednesday 10th February.

Planning application 6/2020/0263 St Marys Church, Colehill Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BS. Erect three lamp posts in church car park. DC planning portal shows that this application has now been approved.

Planning application 6/2020/0314 164 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Sever plot and erect a detached two storey dwelling with associated access, parking, landscaping and amenity space. DC planning portal shows that this application has now been approved.

Planning application 6/2020/0422 Harbour View, Middle Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HJ. Erect 2 storey front extension with first floor terrace. Construct rear dormers & new chimneys. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.

Planning Application 6/2020/0450 40 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DR. Alterations and extensions to the existing dwelling including a 2 storey front gable extension and alterations to windows & doors. Changes to access and parking layout. DC planning portal shows that this application has now been approved.

Planning application 6/2020/0459 Land off Eddy Green Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HL. 6/2020/0459 Demolish existing outbuildings & erect a new dwelling with associated parking and access.DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.

To receive and note the latest 2020-21 bank reconciliation (for purposes of report only).

A copy of the bank reconciliation is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. Members had also been sent copies of the relevant bank statements. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this reconciliation. It was noted that the money requested for withdrawal from the investment with Prudential International has now been received in the council’s bank account.

To receive and consider a report covering latest 2020-21 council income and EXPENDITURE (FOR PURPOSES OF REPORT ONLY).

The report was circulated to all members by the Parish Clerk. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this. The income and expenditure report is included in Appendix 1 to these minutes.

To consider a proposal to relay and repair Astro near joint end-to-end, together with a medium term assessment of the whole pitch.

Cllr Bush explained the long term problem with the playing surface seam nearest the pitch gateway – over its whole length. The other three seams have never been a problem. The seam in question has been re-stuck on numerous occasions with only limited success. It is wondered (a) how much life is left in the playing surface overall and (b) what the feasibility is of successfully re-laying this section of carpet with an effective invisible seam, and what costs would be associated with that. The Parish Clerk indicated that he would approach Replay Maintenance to undertake the necessary survey / assessment and provide both face to face feedback and a written report. Action: Parish Clerk to arrange this.

It was suggested that a second opinion should also be obtained. Cllr Colvey suggested the consultant, David Rhodes, who had worked on the original project. Action: Parish Clerk to approach Mr Rhodes and other suitable experts to undertake this.

To undertake an annual review of Council’s Risk Register.

The Parish Clerk referred to the draft Risk Register which he had circulated to all members ahead of the meeting – a copy of which is attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes. In response to a question raised about the impact of possible negative interest rates it was ascertained that this does not represent a risk to the Parish Council’s finances. It was RESOLVED to adopt the updated Risk Register put forward.

To undertake an annual review of the schedule of Governance / Internal Controls responsibilities.

The Parish Clerk referred to the draft Schedule of Governance / Internal Control Responsibilities for 2020-21 which he had circulated to all members ahead of the meeting. After brief discussion it was RESOLVED to adopt this updated schedule, subject to amendment to include of further columns dealing with the plan / timetable for the immediate year to come (2021-22). A copy of the updated schedule, including the agreed amendments, is attached at Appendix 3 to these minutes.

Annual review of burial records – nomination of reviewers.

Cllr Attridge indicated that he would be willing to undertake this review and report back on it.

Annual review of insurance cover – nomination of reviewers.

Cllrs Huggins and Carswell indicated that they would be willing to undertake this review and report back on it.

To receive an update on the development of a policy for the sponsorship of trees.

It was recognised that a number of residents had expressed interest in this scheme. Cllr Carswell reminded everyone that he had prepared a draft policy some time ago and had since gathered some further information about a similar scheme run by Lytchett Minster & Upton Town Council. He suggested that as there was a need to examine and agree the fine detail this should now be referred to the newly formed Environment Working Group. This was AGREED, with a report back to full Council due at the meeting on 24th February.

On a related subject, Cllr Bush reported that he had written to Steve Maros at Dorset Council to seek advice on the process and any constraints for planting on highway verges. Advice on this will be relevant to the recent request from a resident of Paddock Close.

To consider planning application To consider planning application 6/2020/0576. 13 Gibbs Green, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6ND. Extend roof and form rooms in roof-space.

Whilst the Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to the application, it wished to express its concerns to the Local Planning Authority that the scale of the proposed scheme is too large and out of character with the surrounding properties and street scene. The Council is also concerned about potential problems of overlooking adjacent properties.

TO CONSIDER PLANNING APPLICATION 6/2020/0592 10 Spy Close, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6DQ. Demolish conservatory and erect new rear extension.


To consider items for the next Parish Magazine

Discussion took place concerning the next Parish Magazine article. The following matters were identified for consideration:

  • Rocket Park surface condition improvement. Members were encouraged to forward to Cllr Barker any feedback they receive from the public on this.
  • Dorset Local Plan – zoom session for public awareness and support in how to respond. To take place at 7pm on 3rd March 2021. Action: Parish Clerk to book this zoom session and provide the hyperlink etc to all members.
  • Climate emergency – update on activity.

To note correspondence received.

Cllr Barker reported on an email received from two residents who would like to know whether the Council would permit them to display, during the Easter season, a “tableau” about the crucifixion at Old School Green / Memorial Green. In principal there were no objections, however before giving permission the members felt they would like to have more information about exactly what is being proposed. It was also remarked that the location is a war memorial and anything placed there would need to respect that.

Cllr Bush referred to a letter he had received from a resident of Deans Drove expressing concerns that a number of trees are being cut down on the plot of land adjacent to Deans Drove and Foxhills Road which had formerly been the subject of a proposed Rural Exception Site. Cllr Bush reported that he had written to Jenny Key, Tree Officer Support, to alert the Tree Officer to this activity and to query whether any trees with TPOs had been affected by this action. Ms Key confirmed that it appeared none had, although checks are not yet complete.

Cllr Morgan suggested that it would be prudent to request the Planning Authority to review this situation and to request the Tree Officer to take action to prevent the remaining trees from being cleared from the site.

Cllr Bush also referred to an email to members regarding the Council’s response to the Dorset Local Plan. He asked members to consider whether a local public meeting was required to help residents understand how they could contribute. After some discussion it was agreed that this would be useful in order to encourage individual residents to navigate the draft plan and consultation paper, and to submit their own responses to Dorset Council. It was RESOLVED to offer a zoom session for the public for this purpose at 7pm on 3rd March 2021. Action: Parish Clerk to schedule the zoom session accordingly and to circulate the hyperlink etc to all members.

The meeting closed at 20:19

Annotated by/on ………………………….Approved by/on ………………………

FinanceGenPurposes Committee Minutes 210210v2.docx
FinanceGenPurposes Committee Minutes 210210 Appendix 1 (Bank rec and budget reports Jan 2021).pdf
Fin&GenPurMinutes 210210 Appendix 3 (Internal control and governance schedule and action plan Feb 2021)v2.xlsx
Fin&GenPurMinutes210210 Appendix 2 (Risk Register Review Feb 2021).xls

Finance & General Purposes Committee minutes 10 Feb 2021