Minutes of the FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE
Meeting held on Wednesday August 11th 2021, at 7.00 p.m. in the Village Hall
PRESENT: Cllr M Attridge (Committee Chair), A Bush, M Colvey, K Morgan, K Korenevsky, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).
No members of the public were in attendance.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: There was none.
Cllrs Abbott, Barker, Carswell, Huggins and Webb.
2. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest – and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.
There were none.
3. To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 14th July 2021.
The minutes were ACCEPTEDas a true record and signed by the Committee Chairman.
4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters.
The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]
i. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 7. Allotments hedge trimming (inside). As agreed at the March F&GP meeting, this item has been added to the draft agenda of the September F&GP Cttee meeting. August update – Mr Crumpler has now provided a quote for the work, now that the ground is firm and dry. The Parish Clerk was asked to clarify what will be done with the arisings. Action: Parish Clerk to contact Mr Crumpler again accordingly.
ii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 8. Pavement clearing with weed brush machine. Loan of a suitable machine was been arranged with Poole Business Services. A trial was carried out which demonstrated that the machine is not suitable for the intended tasks. DISCHARGED
iii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 9. Possible art project by Lytchett Minster School students to eliminate graffiti on Skate Park. The artwork was collected by Cllr Morgan in late July and he is now in the process of fixing it to the end of the skate park ramp.
iv. F&GP Cttee 5 May 2021, Minute 4 – DC policy on dog waste disposed of in ordinary litter bins due to dog bins being considered “not fit for purpose”. Members had noted the advice from Dorset Waste Services that dog bins are now considered by DC not to be “fit for purpose” and that they now prefer general waste bins to also be used for dog waste. As requested at the meeting on 5th May 2021, the Parish Clerk wrote to the Dorset Council member who holds the portfolio for waste services. The response from Cllr Jill Haynes was circulated by email to all members on 12th July. A further call was received from Cllr Haynes which revealed that the Dorset Waste Services preferred “wheelie-style” public waste bins (also for dog waste) cannot currently be used in the Purbeck area because the Wareham waste depot does not have a suitable vehicle to service this type of bin. DISCHARGED. Related to this, it was RESOLVED to order and install a new bin to replace the missing one in Middle Road. Action: Parish Clerk to place an order accordingly.
v. F&GP Cttee Planning application responses sent to the DC Planning Team:
Planning application 6/2020/0459 Land off Eddy Green Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HL. Demolish existing outbuildings & erect a new dwelling with associated parking and access.DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0031 Hill House, Jennys Lane, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BP. Demolish existing store. Conversion of existing workshop to habitable dwelling. DC planning portal currently shows that the application has not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0087 86 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Variation of conditions 2 & 5 of PP 6/2020/0297 (Alterations to existing building to form additional ground floor 1 bedroom flat and reduce size of shop unit. Installation of rooflights to south elevation to serve shop) minor amendments to front landscape areas.DC planning portal shows that this application has been approved.
Planning application 6/2021/0092 204 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6DU. Sever plot and erect a detached dwelling with associated access and parking.
DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0143 7 Keates Meadow, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6NF. Single storey side extension and garage conversion. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0038 Windy Ridge, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HH. Sever rear garden and erect dwelling with attached garage. DC planning portal shows that this application has now been approved.
Planning application 6/2021/0090 1 Quarr Cottages, Quarr Lane, Halls Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EP. Remove existing staircase, raise floor level of 1st floor cupboard & construct new staircase. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0190 10 Cecil Place, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6FG. Conversion of garage into living accommodation. DC planning portal shows that this application has not yet been determined.
5. To receive and note the 2021-22 year to date bank reconciliation (for purposes of report only).
A copy of the bank reconciliation is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this reconciliation.
6. To receive and consider a report covering 2021-22 year to date council income and expenditure (for purposes of report only).
The report was circulated to all members by the Parish Clerk. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this. The income and expenditure report is included in Appendix 1 to these minutes.
7. To receive and consider a report on the current uptake, waiting list and upkeep of the allotments (for purposes of report only).
The Parish Clerk referred to a report which he had made available to all members ahead of this meeting. The contents of this report were noted.
Some discussion took place regarding a request from a plot holder to divide his two adjacent plots lengthwise and give up the “front half” of each – thereby creating two vacant half plots. It was RESOLVED to agree to this subject to the tenant carrying out the necessary fencing and creating the necessary new gateways. Action: Parish Clerk to write to the plot holder accordingly.
8. To consider planning application P/HOU/2021/02735 76 Wareham Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6DT. Erect a replacement garage. NO OBJECTION.
9. To consider planning application 6/2021/0186 Holly Farmhouse, Bartoms Lane, Lytchett Matravers, Poole. BH16 6HN. Erect an oak framed garage with a room above. The Council notes that this proposal is in the green belt. Bartoms Lane has the character of a quiet country lane with properties well set back from the road. The proposal is for a sizeable building positioned parallel to the road and close to it. The Council wished to OBJECT to this application on the grounds that it is inappropriate development in the green belt and which would adversely affect the character of the lane. The Council also expressed surprise at the irrational nature of the proposal in that it is a garage facing away from the road and showing no access to it.
10. To consider planning application P/HOU/2021/02709 Eldon House Eldons Drove Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6HH. Erect a two storey porch on the front elevation. NO OBJECTION.
11. To consider planning application P/PALH/2021/02736 76 Wareham Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6DT. Extend and alter existing to form a single storey rear extension. NO OBJECTION.
12. To consider planning application 6/2021/0189 Dew Pond Farm Castle Farm Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6DA. Barn modification (retrospective), solar control cabin and solar panels. NO OBJECTION.
13. To consider planning application 6/2021/0250 Goresmead Cottage Foxhills Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6BD. Proposed single storey extension & alterations to form living Room. NO OBJECTION to the proposed extension which is the subject of this application. However the Council wished to draw the attention of the LPA to the driveway marked on the plan, and currently in use, which crosses greenbelt land.
14. To consider planning application 6/2021/0278 17 Frys Close Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6DL. Two storey front and single storey rear extensions. NO OBJECTION.
15. To consider planning application 6/2021/0289 5 Hyde Cottages Prospect Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6EE. Single storey rear extension. NO OBJECTION.
16. Review of banking arrangements – to consider opening online account with Unity Trust Bank.
Cllr Bush explained that it has now been established that HSBC bank is unable to offer any form of online banking with dual authorisation which meets the Parish Council’s needs. Following investigation by the Parish Clerk, Unity Trust Bank had been identified as offering banking products and service which fits with those needs and has become increasingly popular with Parish & Town Councils.
After some discussion it was resolved to RECOMMEND to Full Council that the Parish Clerk is instructed to contact Unity Trust Bank to apply to open Current and Savings online accounts with dual authorisation. This is with the intention of transferring the council’s present banking arrangements with HSBC to Unity Trust Bank as soon as possible.
17. To consider a proposed temporary protocol for making online banking payments with HSBC.
The Parish Clerk referred to a draft temporary protocol which he had made available to members ahead of this meeting. A copy of this is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes. He explained that the proposed protocol is to be used on a temporary basis for online payments made from the Council’s HSBC Current Account. It was RESOLVED to approve this.
18. To consider a proposal to prepare a Brief / Specification for the works on the management of trees and shrubs around the boundary of the Foxhills Open Space; and to then seek competitive tenders to carry out the works.
Cllr Morgan referred to a proposal, based on an earlier paper prepared by Cllr Huggins, which he had made available to all members ahead of this meeting to inform the discussion.
After some discussion it was RESOLVED to begin this process by carrying out a communication exercise with residents as follows:
- Prepare and distribute a general letter to all residents in the area which may be affected by the proposed work – both those properties which are adjacent to the Open Space itself, and also those within sight of the trees on it. The letter is to advise that the council is aware of the problems related to the continued tree growth and is looking in to it with a view carrying out some tree management work for medium to long term benefit, as well as addressing any immediate problems.
- Support the above general letter with articles on the website and Parish Magazine.
- Follow-up the letter with door-to-door visits to the properties on the immediate boundary of the open space and directly affected by overgrowth of the trees or shrubs.
19. To consider a proposal for marking of disabled parking bays in the High St Car Park.
Cllr Morgan reported that he had been in touch with a supplier and received a quote of £300 + VAT to mark two disabled parking bays. The members supported this. However Cllr Morgan was also asked to look into a design and price for marking up parking bays on the whole of the upper car park. Action: Cllr Morgan to investigate this accordingly.
20. To consider three quotations obtained for supply and installation of fencing and gates for the Dog Exercise area on the Recreation Ground.
Cllr Morgan summarised the details of the quotes from the three suppliers. It was noted that the specification was for only one 3m vehicle gate, plus two pedestrian gates. It was RESOLVED to accept the quotation from Dorset Fencing as a first option, provided they could supply chestnut stakes at a competitive price – with Purbeck Fencing as a second option.
It was separately agreed that the existing pile of branches left on this area is to be chipped and cleared by Aerial Tree Surgeons ASAP so that it is clear ready for this work. Action: Parish Clerk to contact the contractor accordingly.
21. To consider items for the next Parish Magazine
The following matters were identified:
- Photograph of the artwork to be placed on the end of the skate ramp.
- Plans for the BMX area on the Recreation Ground.
- Consultation on the management of the trees etc on the Foxhills Open Space.
- The Saturday morning café at the Sports Pavilion.
22. To note correspondence received.
Cllr Bush referred to the comments on the possibility of some form of social event to be held on the Recreation Ground this summer. It was generally agreed that Council is not averse to this idea, if a member of the public came forward wishing to take on responsibility for organising something. It was however recognised that even for a very small event there would be much to think about and arrange, and there is little time left this summer to achieve this.
The meeting closed at 20:44
Annotated by/on ………………………….Approved by/on ………………………
Bank reconciliation and 2021/22 year to date report covering income and expenditure.
See separate report.
HSBC Bank online banking protocol – Payments made by online banking
|Payments list created from supplier invoices or payroll
|List of payments for approval to be agreed by full council or by following financial regulations where payments are needed to be made in between meetings.
|Payments approved by Parish Council
|At monthly meetings
|Log in to online business banking
|Using banking ID and security device
|Choose payments option
|Set up new payees if required for payment or select payee
|Clerk / RFO
|All bank account details checked with suppliers – security device required for set up
|Set up payments to suppliers either in a batch or as a single payment depending on payment date of invoice
|Security device required.
|Security device required.
Print / save a copy of payments set up for file and ref this will show date payments set up
|Check payments are set up
|Security device required.
|Send the approved payment list to the signatories and await return email confirming go ahead to make the payments.
|Security device required. Authorised signatories to access the bank account – check and email confirm to Clerk / RFO payments agree with list approved at Council meeting. This needs to be carried out within 48 hours of the meeting.
|Audit trail of signatories approval for payments to go ahead.
|Clerk / RFO
|Clerk / RFO to retain signatory reply email as audit trail confirming payments authority to go ahead.
|Clerk to log back in to bank and make the authorised payments
|Clerk / RFO
|Print off updated online bank statement account showing payments made.
|Retain as part of audit trail.
|Report at the next PC meeting payments made
|To be minuted
|On at least a quarterly basis or any other agreed timescale an authorised signatory should log into the bank and check the bank balances and transactions made agree with list of payments authorised at previous meeting, and with the bank rec and reports supplied by the Clerk. Report findings to the full Council