As you may already be aware, the effects of the widely-reported national HGV driver shortage – coupled with the continuing impact of the pandemic – are starting to disrupt some of Dorset Council’s waste services. They are working hard to ensure that key waste services continue to run throughout this challenging time, but are having to temporarily suspend or delay some garden waste collections so that crews can be redeployed to support vital rubbish, food and recycling collections. Litter bins are also being emptied less frequently in some areas of the county, and new bin deliveries are also being delayed.
Whilst this problem is ongoing, they have asked us to pass on these key messages:
- Always report your missed collection directly to Dorset Council, even if your whole street is affected. Our website has an automated system that will inform you what’s happening with your bins and provide guidance on what to do next (Weblink – Missed bin collection – Dorset Council)
- Please ensure your bins are out by 6am on your collection day. Some rounds are being carried out differently, meaning that we might turn up earlier or later in the day than usual
- If you find a litter bin is full, do not try to leave your litter on top/next to it or on the floor nearby – please take it home and place in your household bin. We also encourage people to report over-filled bins on the Dorset Council website (Weblink – Report a public litter bin problem – Dorset Council sel – Welcomef-service portal (achieveservice.com))
- If any garden waste collections have to be cancelled/stood down we will contact customers directly to advise them. As compensation for any garden waste collections that were not received, we will automatically apply a discount to next year’s subscription fee.
- Rubbish, recycling, garden and food waste can be dropped off free of charge at any of Dorset’s household recycling centres, which are operating as normal.
If you have any further questions or comments, you can contact the Dorset Council waste services team at email@example.com. And if you would be interested in joining waste services as a driver or a loader, you can find out more about current vacancies at https://jobs.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/