Minutes of the FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE
Meeting held on Wednesday June 9th 2021, at 7.00 p.m. in the Village Hall
PRESENT: Cllr M Attridge (Committee Chair), M Colvey, A Huggins, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).
No members of the public were in attendance.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: There was none.
1. To elect F&GP Cttee Chairman and receive acceptance of office
Cllr Attridge was nominated by Cllr Huggins and the nomination was seconded by Cllr Morgan. There being no other nominations, Cllr Attridge was duly ELECTED.
Cllrs Abbott, Barker, Bush, Carswell, and Cottman.
3. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest – and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.
There were none.
4. To elect F&GP Cttee Vice-Chairman and receive acceptance of office
Cllr Carswell was nominated by Cllr Webb. There being no other nominations, Cllr Carswell was duly ELECTED.
5. To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 5th May 2021.
The minutes were ACCEPTEDas a true record and signed by the Committee Chairman.
6. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters.
The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]
i. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 7. Allotments hedge trimming (inside). As agreed at the March F&GP meeting, this item has been added to the draft agenda of the September F&GP Cttee meeting. DEFERRED.
ii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 8. Pavement clearing with weed brush machine. At the January meeting it had been agreed to put this initiative on hold. The Parish Clerk had spoken to Mr Mills with the action point from the April 2021 meeting to request that he makes a further attempt to hire a weed brush machine. Enquiries revealed that the very limited availability of such equipment for hire has not changed. As requested, the Parish Clerk has now contacted BCP and DC to see if they have any suitable machine available for hire either with or without an operator. He reported that he had received a positive response from BCP (Poole Business Services) that they have a machine and will be in touch again to arrange delivery and instruction as soon as it has been serviced.
iii. F&GP Cttee 14 October 2020, Minute 9. Possible art project by Lytchett Minster School students to eliminate graffiti on Skate Park. This matter is the subject of a separate agenda item (item 15) at the meeting on 9th June 2021.
iv. F&GP Cttee 5 May 2021, Minute 4 – DC policy on dog waste disposed of in ordinary litter bins due to dog bins being considered “not fit for purpose”. Members noted the advice from Dorset Waste Services that dog bins are now considered by DC not to be “fit for purpose” and that they now prefer general waste bins to also be used for dog waste. As requested at the meeting on 5th May 2021, the Parish Clerk has written to Dorset Cllr Ray Bryan (portfolio holder for Highways, Travel & Environment) to query the reasoning for this apparent policy change. It has been subsequently clarified that SC Cllr Jill Haynes is the relevant portfolio holder. She has called for an Officers’ Report on the matter, which is awaited.
v. F&GP Cttee 21 March 2021, Minute 21 – Use of grant by Lytchett Matravers Angels. In an email from the LM Angels to the Parish Council Chairman and Clerk on 19th May 2021 they advised that “…should there be any surplus funds from the grant given of £1,000 to LM Angels from the LMPC, it is our intention to return any remaining funds we have to the LMPC. We will be able to advise this in early June, once we have completed vaccination transport / volunteer expenses this month.”
vi. F&GP Cttee Planning application responses sent to the DC Planning Team:
Planning application 6/2019/0530 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Limited. Land off Flowers Drove, Lytchett Matravers. Change of use of land to Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace (SANG) & associated car park. DC planning portal shows that this application was approved on 19th May 2021. In response to this report Cllr Morgan suggested that the Clerk requests a copy of the legal agreement related to the SANG. Action: Parish Clerk to write to DC Planning to request a copy of the agreement accordingly.
Planning application 6/2020/0459 Land off Eddy Green Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HL. 6/2020/0459 Demolish existing outbuildings & erect a new dwelling with associated parking and access.DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2020/0592 10 Spy Close, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6DQ. Demolish conservatory and erect new rear extension. DC planning portal shows that this application was approved on 14th May 2021.
Planning application 6/2020/0514 10 Hopmans Close, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6AY. Proposed first floor front extension over existing integral garage & convert garage to form habitable accommodation. DC planning portal shows that this application was approved on 13th May 2021.
Planning application 6/2020/0578 12 Foxhills Crescent, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6BE. Demolish rear conservatory, erect two storey rear extension and convert loft to habitable accommodation. DC planning portal shows that this application was approved on 19th May 2021.
Planning application 6/2020/0642 113 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DZ. Construction of dwelling with associated access, parking and landscaping. DC planning portal shows that this application was refused on 14th May 2021. Planning application 6/2020/0374 (Revised Proposal). The Cottage, Foxhills Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BD. Sever plot and erect 2 detached houses with access & parking. DC planning portal shows that this application for the revised proposal has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2020/0555. Castle Farm House, Castle Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BZ. Provision for renewable energy & alterations & repairs. DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2020/0556. Castle Farm House, Castle Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6BZ. Provision for renewable energy, doors, windows & new conservatory roof. DC planning portal shows that this application for the revised proposal has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2020/ 0614 10 Old Chapel Drive, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HA. Build retaining wall along part of boundary to provide parking to side of house. DC planning portal shows that this application was approved on 6th May 2021. Planning application 6/2021/0031 Hill House, Jennys Lane, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BP. Demolish existing store. Conversion of existing workshop to habitable dwelling. DC planning portal currently shows no status against this application. The DC Planning Team have been asked to correct this omission.
Planning application 6/2021/0087 86 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Variation of conditions 2 & 5 of PP 6/2020/0297 (Alterations to existing building to form additional ground floor 1 bedroom flat and reduce size of shop unit. Installation of rooflights to south elevation to serve shop) minor amendments to front landscape areas.DC planning portal shows that this application has still not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0044 Land at Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers. Minor material amendment to vary condition 2 of planning permission 6/2018/0063 (Erection of 46 dwellings (including affordable homes), new vehicular access via Huntick Road, associated landscaping, & all other development works) to change the positioning, layout and design of the dwelling on plot 23. DC planning portal shows that this application has not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0092 204 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6DU. Sever plot and erect a detached dwelling with associated access and parking.
DC planning portal shows that this application has not yet been determined.
Planning application 6/2021/0143 7 Keates Meadow, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6NF. Single storey side extension and garage conversion. DC planning portal shows that this application has not yet been determined.
7. To receive and note the 2021-22 year to date bank reconciliation (for purposes of report only).
A copy of the bank reconciliation is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this reconciliation.
8. To receive and consider a report covering 2021-22 year to date council income and expenditure (for purposes of report only).
The report was circulated to all members by the Parish Clerk. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this. The income and expenditure report is included in Appendix 1 to these minutes.
9. To receive and consider a report on the current uptake, waiting list and upkeep of the allotments (for purposes of report only).
The Parish Clerk referred to a report which he had made available to all members ahead of this meeting. The contents of this report were noted. There are now no vacant plots and five Lytchett Matravers residents on the waiting list. It was AGREED to write to the holders of five plots mentioned in the report where little or no activity seems to have taken place. The plot holders are to be given until the end of June to bring the plots into cultivation – after which a further email may be sent offering to take the plots back and to offer them the next people on the waiting list. Action: Parish Clerk to write to the plot holders accordingly.
10. To Consider planning application 6/2021/0159 4 Hyde Cottages, Prospect Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EE Erect a single storey rear extension.
11. To consider planning application 6/2021/0035 Spy House, Middle Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HJ. Demolish porch and erect two storey front extension.
12. To consider planning application 6/2021/0038 Windy Ridge, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HH. Sever rear garden and erect dwelling with attached garage.
After some discussion, the members present voted to register an OBJECTION on the grounds that:
(i) the scale of the proposed development is disproportionate for the site, the neighbouring properties and the surrounding street scene.
(ii) parts of the prosed development are in too close proximity to neighbouring property
(iii) there is only one effective vehicle parking space. This is inadequate and does not comply with the requirements of the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan
13. To consider the opportunity to take part in the “Queen’s Green Canopy” initiative which forms part of the platinum jubilee celebrations in 2022.
It was noted that the “Launch Information Pack” contains little substantial information relevant to the Parish Council apart from the opportunity (later) to purchase plaques to an officially agreed template to commemorate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. This seems to overlap with other current tree planting initiatives. It was also noted that The Woodland Trust are making 3 million saplings available to schools and communities free of charge. After a brief discussion it was agreed that the Council would take part in this initiative.
14. Review of banking arrangements – and to consider opening an online account with Unity Trust Bank.
The Parish Clerk reported that after further investigations and correspondence with HSBC Bank he and the Chairman had confirmed that HSBC do not offer dual authorisation of online payments in a way which is compliant with the needs of Parish & Town Councils. Consequently there is a need to move the Council’s main banking activities to another bank which does offer such facilities.
He reported that following enquiries with other Parish & Town Councils and advice from DAPTC he had discovered that DAPTC themselves and a number of Parish & Town Councils around the country now use Unity Trust Bank – which offers dual or even triple authorisation for online payments and has a very strong reputation for their UK-based customer service.
The members present noted this and agreed there was a need to obtain more information about Unity Trust Bank to provide assurance that the Councils funds would be secure.
15. To consider an update on a proposal to support an art project for students of LM school to repaint a section of the skate ramps – with associated expenditure of up to £300.
Cllr Attridge reported that he had spoken about this to a contact in the Art Department at Lytchett Minster School. They would like to take this on during the final half term of this school year with a view to it becoming an annual enrichment project for their year 12 Fine Art class.
The project has been approved by the school’s senior leadership team. They plan to visit to the skate park site and then plan, design and create the artwork in school. Cllr Attridge explained that they intend to do the artwork on exterior grade marine plywood boards using acrylic paint – which will then need to be fixed to the skate ramp end by a contractor (PC to arrange for fixing). They estimate the boards, exterior house primer and acrylic paint supplies will cost around £250. It was resolved to RECOMMEND to Full Council to allocate up to £300 expenditure for this for 2021.
16. To consider items for the next Parish Magazine
The following matters were identified for the Parish Magazine article:
- Completion of the re-constructed steps between the pharmacy and Tesco
- Completion of first phase of the path renewal project at the Foxhills Open Space
- The skate ramp mural project with Lytchett Minster School, as outlined in minute 15 above.
- The grant from Low Carbon Dorset for the Sports Pavilion upgrade works
- Planning permission for the SANG (reserve item)
17. To note correspondence received.
The Parish Clerk reported on the following items of correspondence:
- Emails from a resident of Fosters Spring asking about maintenance work to the trees on the open space which are growing very close to the boundary with her property. The Parish Clerk remarked that this is the latest in a succession of similar requests – which are becoming more frequent. He commented that it seems that when the Open Space was first created some tree planting may have been done with less than ideal consideration for the effect of the trees when they reached maturity – as they are now beginning to do. He suggested that it may be prudent to carry out a thorough review of the tree and shrub growth on the whole of the Open Space. It was agreed to refer this to the Village Environment Working Group to arrange for such a review.
- Correspondence concerning the water supply to Row Park Cemetery. There being no nearby water main, water has been supplied as a private arrangement with an adjacent landowner for a number of years. The property concerned has now changed hands and the water has been turned off. At his request, the matter is being handled by the Vicar of St Mary’s Church. In the meantime the Parish Clerk is responding to any enquiries about the water with a brief explanation of the circumstances, and a suggestion that members of the public take containers with them to water flowers placed on graves.
- A reply from the DC Planning department in response the Clerk’s letter of 27th May 2021 about the land adjacent to 204 Wareham Rd – this advises that a note will be added to the planning file (ref 6/1994/0038) on the Planning Portal for this piece of land. The Clerk will now add a further response to DC Planning requesting a note also to be placed on file relating to the allocation of the land at Blaneys Corner, and also the land east of that which abuts Jubilee Walk.
- Correspondence from DAPTC concerning councillor training for the new Code of Conduct. The Clerk commented on some lack of clarity in this and indicated that he would be speaking to DAPTC and writing to members again with further detail in due course.
The meeting closed at 20:18
Annotated by/on ………………………….Approved by/on ………………………
Bank reconciliation and 2021/22 year to date report covering income and expenditure.
See separate report.
FinanceGenPurposes Committee Minutes 210609.docx
FinanceGenPurposes Committee Minutes 210609 Appendix 1 (Bank rec and budget reports May 2021).pdf