Meeting of Full Council, Weds 20th December 2023 at 7.00 p.m. in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall.

PRESENT were Cllrs A Bush (Council Chair), M Attridge, H Khanna, A Huggins , R Aspray, B Barker, K Morgan, P Webb, K Korenevsky and Mrs A Clothier (Locum Parish Clerk / RFO).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and A Starr.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

There were three members of the public present.

One member of the public made comments on the Purbeck Local Plan consultation and asked the Parish Council to consider raising issues with SMM27 and SMM5 as the overall housing target has reduced but this has not been reflected in the figures for Lytchett Matravers. Councillors commented that the way Dorset Council have showed the alterations to the numbers is confusing and we do not think the overall number has changed. The member of the public asked if there was anything in the new National Planning Framework that alters the comments. The Parish Council’s comments reflect the December 2023 version. In addition, Michael Gove had recently commented that Greenbelt should not be sacrificed for housing numbers. This will be added to the response.


The Dorset Councillors’ report is attached at Appendix 1. The Bakers Arms roundabout was raised as there have been queries about safe places to cross for cyclists. Cllrs questioned whether anything can be done about the drainage at the roundabout. The pipework was renewed about 7 years ago but the levels do not drain unless Lytchett Bay drains. Rising sea levels will make this worse.

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Cllrs V Abbott. Dorset Cllr B Pipe also sent his apologies.

<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

None declared in relation to matters on the agenda of this meeting.

<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 29th November 2023.

It was RESOLVED to approve the minutes of this meeting as true records of it. The minutes were duly signed by the Council Chair.

<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>To receive and consider reports of past subject matters on the minutes of the Full Council meetings (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

Minute Action Point Progress
Minute 29, Full Council 26th July 2023 Continued failure of Aster Housing to maintain their children’s play area between Lockyers Way and The Spinney, or the pathways around it and the pathway connecting Abbotts Court and Wareham Rd. Cllr Abbott to monitor this and liaise with the Clerk accordingly.

Cllr Abbott to continue to monitor

The Neighbourhood Officer has made a recent site visit – Clerk to write to Aster to find out what actions were raised and to report the trees at the play park.

Minute 14, Full Council 25th October 2023 Car in car park – LMPC to confirm current arrangements and agree approach to future parking Discussion held with Gables Garage. The car is still in the car park. Cllr Bush to follow up. The car has now been moved. Discharged.
Minute 17, Full Council 25th October 2023

Parish Clerk to instruct the preferred contractor for the repairs to the Churchyard / cemetery wall.

Ongoing. The contractor will be engaged in the new year.
Minute 16, Full Council 25th October 2023 i) Members to consider / suggest locations for a memorial bench on the Recreation Ground.

(ii) Cllr Abbott to speak to the resident concerned about possible locations.

Resident is happy with the suggested location of library walk and has offered £300 towards the new bench.

The £300 will be transferred shortly. The money for the memorial tree on the Recreation Ground has also been transferred.

Action: Clerk to order the small leaved lime tree.

Minute 11, Full Council 29th November 2023 Cllr Aspray to make a list of groups in the village for the Parish Council to contact in January. Ongoing.
Minute 15, Full Council 29th November 2023 VEWG to review terrace area/access plan. Ongoing. The VEWG have met and agreed a way forwards.
Minute 16, Full Council 29th November 2023 Cllr Morgan to produce a method statement for the protective barrier. Clerk to check insurance implications. Ongoing. The insurance company have responded to say that the Parish Council would not be insured for this work. This is being queried. The insurance queries have been satisfied and Cllr Morgan will move forwards with the work.
Minute 17, Full Council 29th November 2023 Clerk to order bark. Cllr Bush to contact Mr Gould regarding spreading the bark. Bark delivered on 19th December. Cllr Bush to speak to Mr Gould about moving the bark and offer to pay for this service.
Minutes 20, Full Council 29th November 2023 NP2WG to prepare draft response to each relevant Supplementary Proposed Main Modification. On main agenda. Discharged.
Minute 29, Full Council 29th November 2023 Cllr Bush to liaise with the PC’s solicitor regarding unpaid invoice for removal of branch from the Churchyard Ongoing. This is now submitted. Discharged.

<![if !supportLists]>5. <![endif]>Chair’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>It was suggested that Full Council in January meet at 7.30pm due to Locum Clerk availability – this will be confirmed by email.

<![if !supportLists]>6. <![endif]>To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting on 13th December (for purposes of report only)

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

<![if !supportLists]>7. <![endif]>To consider planning application P/HOU/2023/0703 103 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers

Convert garage to habitable accommodation (amendment to planning permission 6/212/0016)

No Objection

<![if !supportLists]>8. <![endif]>To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (VEWG).

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy of the report is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

The Sports Pavilion Storage Unit has gone out to tender and responses are expected in the New Year. The review of the project list priorities is still to be done. The insurance company have agreed to pay for the replacement of the heat pump and the quote from H20 has been accepted. Once this is in place the cage will be installed around it.

<![if !supportLists]>9. <![endif]>To receive a report from the Highways Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy of the report is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes.

Cllr Huggins will write to Tesco about the island. The traffic survey to support the 20mph application has been completed and the results sent through, however no guidance has been received from Dorset Council on what they are looking for in terms of the speed.

Dropped kerbs are still ongoing as the Parish Council is still trying to establish specifications. The prices will stand until the end of March 2024.

The draft online Survey for various highways schemes had been circulated. Councillors felt that the questions needed to be more specific to gain meaningful data. This will be redrafted taking this into account.

<![if !supportLists]>10. <![endif]>Receive a report from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group (for purposes of report only).

See item 11 below.

<![if !supportLists]>11. <![endif]>To review the proposed Parish Council response to the Purbeck Local Plan consultation.

The proposed response was put on Dropbox in advance of the meeting. See Appendix 4 to these minutes. Soundness is the aspect that is being looked at. It was pointed out that in SMM26 the Plan refers to the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan – and implies that this did not try to allocate housing. In reality, the Neighbourhood Plan tried to look at possible development sites but were stopped from doing this by Purbeck District Council Planning Officers. It was also noted that the evidence for the Local Plan is now 5-10 years out of date.

On the basis that the previously discussed comments by Michael Gove regarding the Green Belt are added it was RESOLVED to APPROVE the response to be submitted by 22nd December.

<![if !supportLists]>12. <![endif]>To receive a report from the Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall Working Group

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy of the report is associated at Appendix 5 to these minutes.

Significant work has been completed at the Hall including carpentry, doors, painting and the installation of a toilet. Volunteers are working hard to get it ready. The Group are waiting for a tender for the ceiling painting as this is too dangerous for volunteers. The outside needs to be dealt with – two groundworks companies have looked at this and come up with two different suggestions. This will then result in a brief. There are two grant opportunities – one for running costs and one for infrastructure costs. A waste removal quote is awaited.

The Building Inspector is due on 4th January. A new budget was attached to the report and the latest forecast is now based on the financial year. Plumbing came in £1000 under the estimate.

<![if !supportLists]>13. <![endif]>To receive a report on 2024-25 budget assumptions.

A budget assumptions report was circulated in advance of the meeting. The precept increase put forward at F&GP was 2%. This needs to be confirmed at January F&GP. BAU is relatively straightforward – there are some increases but this is roughly in line with what was expected. Looking at project side of things the Parish Council need to decide the priorities for the next financial year. This will be finalised at January F&GP and Cllrs were encouraged to feedback.

It was questioned whether the budget allowed for a Judicial Review of the Local Plan. It was highlighted that it had been agreed that the Parish Council would approach a barrister and this was budgeted at £5000 – this needs to be added to the figures. No costs have been put in for a Judicial Review although this would be within the next financial year. It was suggested that it would be prudent to put some money aside for this. The view from the village so far has been strongly opposed to the development. The timing is important as once the plan is adopted there will not be time to do a consultation.

Action: Cllr Morgan to look into estimate for Judicial Review and what the stages are for this.

<![if !supportLists]>14. <![endif]>To review the Privacy Policy

The draft policy was circulated in advance of the meeting. It was RESOLVED to APPROVE this policy for adoption.

<![if !supportLists]>15. <![endif]>To review the Safeguarding Policy

The draft policy was circulated in advance of the meeting. Following a discussion around Safeguarding Training it was agreed that the DSL should be Level 3. It was RESOLVED to APPROVE this policy for adoption.

<![if !supportLists]>16. <![endif]>To review the Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity Policy

The draft policy was circulated in advance of the meeting. A couple of issues were raised – hearing loop systems need to be taken out and there were some additional typos. Subject to the changes, it was RESOLVED to APPROVE this policy for adoption.

<![if !supportLists]>17. <![endif]>To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

It was noted that the Octopus Energy Bill from November did not come out as expected – this is being investigated. The Direct Debit from SSE from the previous month was also not collected due to an error with the SSE system. This has been added to the payment below.

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
Sherborne Turf Play bark chips for Rocket Park 919.39 183.88 1103.27
BT Office phone and broadband fee 55.95 11.19 67.17
SSE Public lighting – October 26.01 1.90 27.73
O2 Parish Clerk Mobile Phone – November 11.00 2.20 13.20
Propel Finance Plc Monthly repayment for LMPC Clerk’s mobile phone – 7.42 1.48 8.90
HSBC Bank account fee – November 5.00 0 5.00

<![if !supportLists]>18. <![endif]>To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Homer Handyman duties, Nov 2023 323.02 0.00 323.02
Alison Clothier Clerk’s Cover 27/11/23-15/11/12 971.54 0.00 971.54
Cllr Bush Expenses – leaving party for T Watton 394.75 0.00 394.75
SP Mills Garden Services Grass Cutting for year Nov 2022-Oct 2023 5460.00 0.00 5460.00
Cllr Barker Expenses for LMYH – Coffee Machine and capsules 489.97 15.03 505.00
Dorset Council Lytchett Matravers Speed Surveys 875.00 175.00 1050.00
Dorset Council Remembrance Sunday Signs 34.00 6.80 40.80
Cllr Bush Reimbursement for claim through HM Courts and Tribunals Service 50.00 0.00 50.00
Idverde Grounds Maintenance at Row Park Cemetery (December) 350.60 70.12 420.72
O’Sullivan Building Service Carpentry work at Youth Hall 2330.00 466.00 2796.00
G Ridout Plumbing and Heating Services Ltd Plumbing for Youth Hall 1216.67 243.33 1460.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

<![if !supportLists]>19. <![endif]>To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>The Clerk noted that information had been released about the May 2024 elections and this will be discussed in the January meeting.

<![if !supportLists]>20. <![endif]>To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).


<![if !supportLists]>21. <![endif]>To notecorrespondence received (for purposes of report only).


Confidential Items (Members of the public to leave the room)

See confidential minute notes.

The meeting closed at 20:26 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………


December 2023 report Dorset Councillors.

Dorset Council is receiving over £1 million of government funding to help some of the most vulnerable people in the area avoid becoming homeless or living on the streets.

The council put forward two applications for grant funding from the Single Homeless Accommodation Programme (SHAP) earlier this year, to support the expansion of the Bus Shelter Project in Weymouth and the creation of a brand new Complex Women’s unit.

The Bus Shelter Project

The first grant of over £281,000, will help build five self-contained modular homes – also known as ‘pods’ – for people who are ready to live independently at the Bus Shelter, situated on the council’s old park and ride site.

The Bus Shelter provides people with somewhere safe to sleep, where they have their own front door and access to a communal living and kitchen area.

Since the charity, the Bus Shelter Project, opened in 2021, it has helped 47 individuals find a safe shelter from the streets.

Complex Women’s Unit

The second grant of over £781,000, will go towards providing much-needed accommodation and services to women who have complex lives and need to be housed in a female-only environment.

Research carried out by Dorset Council, has identified women are sleeping rough in the county who have complex needs. Some of the women were reportedly putting themselves at risk and avoiding sleeping on the streets by sofa surfing in dangerous environments or tolerating abusive relationships.

Appendix 2

Lytchett Matravers Parish Council



Working Group Objective:

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Development and improvement of village amenities, principally within PC control

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Particular focus on Recreation Ground + Library Green areas + School Car Park/Sports Project.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins , Karen Korenevsky, Vicky Abbot, Hannah Khanna

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Details:- Hannams Gate, Pond, Sports Pav/Scout/TT works, Boules, Rocket Park, School C Pk/Sp Project.

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Hannams Gate. Design presented to PC July 23. Details worked up for costing.

<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Sports/Scout Bldgs Entrances, Stores, Terrace + T Tennis. Design presented to PC July 23. Store agreed and going to tender. Other parts now to be reviewed. Phase construction with priorities to guard replacement heat pump, sports store then terraces to pavilion + TT areas.

<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>Pond – Survey measurements + levels + detailed design required.

<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>Boules/Petanque Pitches – Layout/positions agreed. Prepare tender docs.

<![if !supportLists]>5. <![endif]>Village Notice Board Replacement – Design presented to PC July 23. Bench part to be sponsored by local resident. Complete detailed design + tender.

<![if !supportLists]>6. <![endif]>Rocket Park – Surface – Bark ordered for delivery 19th Dec. Spreading to be arranged.

<![if !supportLists]>7. <![endif]>Finger Post Renovations – Progress on Upper X with discounted parts available. Assemble volunteer team for training + seek sponsorship. CPRE grant possibility.

<![if !supportLists]>8. <![endif]>School Parking/Sports Project. Car park/School drop off layout issued and on hold pending zebra crossing.


Sports/Football Club. DC Highways. School. Funding/Grants. Heat Pump reinstatement.

Status/Next Steps:

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Rocket Park bark.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Heat Pump enclosure detailed and ready for fabrication but awaiting Insurance clearance then RAMs

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Invite Design + Build tenders for Sports Store

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Review project list priorities with emphasis on those under PC total control.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Notice Board + Hannams Gate Boules/Petanque Pitches + invite tenders.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Pond– Clear vegetation, survey levels dims, develop + agree designs and invite tenders.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Expense to date
Forecast Sp/Pav /TT/Terrace 55

Topo survey 1

Hannams Gate 5

Pond 15

Notice Board 5

Contingencies 20

Rocket Park Surface 80

Fingerposts 5

Contingencies 30

Total 101 115 ?

Appendix 3

Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Summary Report – Dorset Council Highways WG

December 2023

Working Group Objective:

Review of all Highways related projects and establishing close liaison with Dorset Council Highways.

Working Group Participants:

Andrew Huggins (Chair), Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Peter Webb, Beverly Barker, Rob Aspray


PC projects that require Dorset Council Highways interaction and agreement. To set up a more formal working arrangement with DC Highways to progress those projects.


DC Highways approval and partial funding

Status/Next Steps:

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>School Crossing – Highways have been given the green light to proceed with the Zebra crossing proposal, subject to various checks. Consultation has started – Statutory consultees first.

<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Huntick Road Cycleway – apply for approval for next section – Rozalia Meadows to Jubilee Walk

<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>High Street Crossing – apply for permission to install as a ‘place’ project.

<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>Tesco Island – Create formal notice to Tesco of intentions with DCH approval. AH to write to Tesco CEO office again and CC Southampton Distribution centre and local store manager – not done yet.

<![if !supportLists]>5. <![endif]>20 MPH Zones – Apply for central village area to be set to 20 mph. Traffic survey results received – we asked DC if the results indicated the site was a good candidate for 20mph – no response received.

<![if !supportLists]>6. <![endif]>Drop kerbs – proposal deferred to Sept 2023 F&GP meeting for installation of dropped kerbs on the Spinney, Burbidge Close and Vineyard Close. Cost Approx £13.5K. Budgeted £15K- Discussions ongoing with DC Highways over spec. Working towards quote which will stand to end March 2024.

<![if !supportLists]>7. <![endif]>Awaiting draft online Survey to launch to the public.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Expense to date
Forecast 2551 802 1,0003
Total 255 80 1,000


<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>School crossing – 80 (revised estimate from DC July 2023), High St crossing 75, 20MPH – 30, Drop kerbs – 15, Huntick cycleway stage 2 – 35

<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Tesco forecourt – 80

<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>Huntick cycleway stage 3 – 1,000



Appendix 4



SMM 88 Foreword – Text considered UNSOUND on basis that one of the ‘Key Service Villages’, Lytchett Matravers, identified for further development is not in a ‘more accessible and sustainable location’ and nor is it ‘best connected to the public transport and other existing and planned supporting infrastructure’.

Rather, it is a largely dormitory settlement, with minimal local employment, remote from centres of employment, secondary education and only an infrequent and inconvenient bus service. Private motor cars are necessary to access most services. It is NOT a sustainable location.

SMM 3 Vision and Objectives, Paras 43 + 44 – Text considered UNSOUND on basis that ‘delivery of …Purbeck’s housing needs….in sustainable, accessible locations must involve the removal of some land from the green belt at Lytchett Matravers..’ is untrue.In arriving at this unsound conclusion, the Council have not provided any sound evidence to show ‘exceptional circumstances are fully evidenced and justified’ to review and alter Green Belt boundaries as required by Para 145 of the NPPF (December 23). Further, as noted under our response to SMM88, Lytchett Matravers is demonstrably not a sustainable or accessible location.

The purposes of the Green Belt, now only a few miles wide between Lytchett Matravers and the BCP conurbation, enshrined in Para 143 of the NPPF, remain valid since its inception in 1980. Nevertheless since then, Purbeck District Council have allowed a series of piecemeal subtractions. Para 145 of the NPPF requires that once established, Green Belt boundaries have ‘…intended permanence in the long term, so that they can endure beyond the plan period.’

SMM 5 – Visions and Objectives Policy V1 – For the reasons set out in Paras 142 – 148 incl of the NPPF, the Spatial Strategy is considered UNSOUND in its proposal to designate land taken from Green Belt around Lytchett Matravers to achieve around 150 homes.

SMM 6 Visions and Objectives, paras 45-48 – Text considered UNSOUND as listed para by para below:-

Para 45 – Exceptional Circumstances to ‘remove land from the green belt at Lytchett Matravers’ is not ‘fully evidenced or justified’ as required by Para 145 of the NPPF.

Para 46 – The selected sites adjoining Lytchett Matravers, in particular the land to the east of Wareham Road remote from the village centre facilities, are not ‘sustainable locations’ being remote from employment opportunities and demanding reliance upon private motor vehicles. The reference to ‘a strong demand for housing’ is not justification for satisfying that demand in unsustainable locations. The reference to a new SANG is flawed, a) because it is a) remote from the principal site it is designed to serve, thus further exacerbating the need for more car travel; and b) it is substantially smaller in area than the recommendation for SANGs relative to homes served. The claim that the provision of a SANG improves green belt accessibility and helps to ‘offset some of the impacts of removing land from the green belt’ is doubtful.

Para 47 – Contrary to the claim that the Council has considered ‘alternative strategies’ and ‘is satisfied that the proposals to remove land from green belt…to spread development more evenly across Purbeck are justified’ is not evidenced. Also, given that Purbeck is now an integral part of the unitary authority of Dorset, there is no imperative to be constrained by what is now a redundant and irrelevant administrative boundary. The justifications which are then proffered by the Council are flawed as follows:-

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Any diminution of the already eroded and narrow green belt adjoining Lytchett Matravers will, by definition, ‘..irrevocably damage the strategic function of the green belt..’ and further, the repeated claim that this is a ‘most sustainable location in terms of access…’ is untrue.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Whilst it may be true that Purbeck has limited brownfield sites available, given that the great majority of present and future residents of Lytchett Matravers will look to Poole for work and most facilities, it should be noted that there are large tracts of redundant brownfield sites within Poole still remaining undeveloped after many years. it defies logic to erode the green belt designed to serve the Poole conurbation, whilst that conurbation has the opportunity to satisfy housing demand in highly sustainable locations.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>As noted above there is no actual need to achieve a spread of homes only across Purbeck. This is an historic and irrelevant anachronism.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>The proposal to site homes in an unsustainable dormitory village without any realistic public transport will actually impact considerably on the already congested nearby A35 and A350 routes into Poole. Junctions onto those main roads from Lytchett Matravers are now beyond capacity at peak morning and evening periods.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>‘effective use of land’ and ‘optimum density’ are empty phrases in this context, neither relevant to non-sustainable locations nor justifying the ‘exceptional circumstances’ necessary to give up green belt land.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>The provision of a (undersized) SANG does not improve accessibility to essential facilities crucial to sustainable development.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>The reference to ‘neighbouring Councils’ may have been relevant when the Purbeck Local Plan was first mooted, but no longer given that the Plan area is now part of a much larger authority which will seek to share assets and liabilities fairly across the whole County. With regard to BCP, there is certainly spare capacity, largely held back by developers only seeking to provide high value second home and holiday accommodation around a spectacular Harbour location. The numerous brownfield sites within Poole designated for residential development should be used to satisfy genuine local housing needs.

Para 48 – This Policy is ill founded, unjustified, contrary to Dorset’s declared Climate Emergency and counter to the requirements of the NPPF.

SMM 16 – Environment, para 85 – The proposal for a SANG at Flowers Drove with a capacity to mitigate for around 100 dwellings, is UNSOUND, given that the Council is proposing around 150 dwellings. Further, the site of the SANG at Flowers Drove is 2km from the largest of the developments it is intended to serve. It follows that many users will access the SANG by motor car thus exacerbating the unsustainable nature of the proposals for Lytchett Matravers.

SMM 25 Housing paras 110 + 111 – The text is UNSOUND in its reference to the perceived non-cooperation of neighbouring councils. We repeat our comments under SMM 6, i.e. Given that Purbeck is now an integral part of the unitary authority of Dorset, there is no imperative to be constrained by what is now a redundant and irrelevant administrative boundary. This is an historic and irrelevant anachronism. The reference to ‘neighbouring Councils’ may have been relevant when the Purbeck Local Plan was first mooted, but no longer given that the Plan area is now part of a much larger authority which will seek to share assets and liabilities fairly across the whole County. With regard to BCP, there is certainly spare capacity, largely held back by developers only seeking to provide high value second home and holiday accommodation around a spectacular Harbour location. The numerous brownfield sites within Poole designated for residential development should be used to satisfy genuine local housing needs.

SMM 26 Housing Policy H1 – The reference to the Neighbourhood Plan prepared by Lytchett Matravers and adopted/’made’ in 2017 is UNSOUND in that the text strongly implies that the NP ‘…does not seek to allocate housing sites, nor sets out any specific housing requirement beyond …this Plan.’ The truth behind this is that in preparing the NP we specifically sought to identify ways in which the village could grow with more housing, but balanced with new employment facilities and green cycling and walking routes, particularly to the secondary school in the adjoining village and for commuters to the conurbation. Instead, Purbeck District Council’s planning officers absolutely forbade any proposals which might breach the green belt boundaries. The NP team were actively prepared to identify sustainable development proposals but were stopped from so doing. Instead, we now are faced with the largest of the proposed Lytchett Matravers housing sites being on the southern extremity of the village remote from village centre facilities, on a highly visible south facing slope, and this on the basis that it is the easiest and most convenient land to develop and already in the control of a major housebuilder. Instead, if new development is necessary, its location and a range of balancing and mitigatory proposals should be included in a revised Neighbourhood Plan.

SMM 28 Housing paras 116+117 – The text is UNSOUND in the inclusion of Lytchett Matravers to provide 150 dwellings, for all the reasons set out in response to SMMs 88, 3, 5, 6, 16 and 25.

SMM 30 Housing Policy H2 – The Policy is UNSOUND in the inclusion of Lytchett Matravers to provide 150 dwellings, for all the reasons set out in response to SMMs 88, 3, 5, 6, 16, 25 + 28.

SMM 40 – Housing Policy H6 – The Policy is UNSOUND in the inclusion of Lytchett Matravers to provide 150 dwellings, for all the reasons set out in response to SMMs 88, 3, 5, 6, 16, 25, 28 + 30. However, given that this Policy seeks to define obligations following from the designation of housing sites within Lytchett Matravers, we consider it imperative and crucial to the character, community cohesion and sustainability of our community, that the sites do not proceed simply on the basis of plans already drawn up and submitted as planning applications by the developer, but rather on the basis of development briefs prepared in an ongoing and iterative consultation process with the Parish Council and their Neighbourhood Plan team, this being in accord with Para 40 of the NPPF which states that applicants should engage in pre-application services offered by the LPA and ‘….applicants who are not already required to do so by law (are) to engage with the local community and, where relevant, with statutory and non-statutory consultees, before submitting their applications.’ As an absolute minimum, any development in Lytchett Matravers must fund a sustainable green cycling and pedestrian route eastwards towards Poole.

SMM 54 housing Policy H13 – The Policy is UNSOUND in that it will undoubtedly be abused to allow non-rural workers to develop homes in unsustainable locations remote from settlements. Specifically, within the green belt around Lytchett Matravers, much of it elevated with views across to Poole Harbour, Corfe Castle and the Purbeck Hills, there have been numerous abuses of permitted development rights allowing the erection and subsequent conversion of spurious agricultural buildings into dwellings. Policy H13 increases that opportunity and likelihood of a continuing erosion of green belt. Whilst, we do not seek to constrain genuine agricultural and employment opportunities, we request as a minimum, that all development proposals within Purbeck’s green belt require specific planning permission to ensure full scrutiny and enable effective controlling planning conditions to be applied. This could be achieved by an Article 4 Direction if that is within the remit of a Local Plan.

Appendix 5

Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall Working Group (LMYH WG) December 2023

Working Group Objective:


<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Research, propose and implement options for renovation of the LM Youth Hall. Regenerate it as a place for community use and the LM Youth Club.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Develop a business plan for ongoing use. Fundraise to enable full replacement with a modern, purpose-built, energy-efficient building.

Working Group Participants:

Council members: Beverly Barker (Chair), Ken Morgan, Alf Bush,

Community members: Clare Duran, Chris Wilson, Roger Ong, Kris Knudsen, Ben Cross, Alex Brenton


The Youth Hall (LMYH) is owned by LMPC. The land is leased from DC until 19/12/2056 and covenanted to be primarily for youth-oriented purposes. LMPC has applied to DC for land-transfer.

The LMYH building is to be renovated to provide a multi-purpose public community space with a youth focus. Qualified inspection indicated it is structurally sound but old, and in need of repair and general improvements to ensure accessibility and sustainability, etc. The biggest issue is the presence of asbestos in the roof. The renovation plans are divided into two stages:

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Stage 1: bring building back into immediate use with minimum necessary spending.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Stage 2: work on design plans and funding options for a full rebuild within 24-months. All approvals debated at Full Council. See minutes for further details https://lytchettmatraverspc.org/full-council/.

Dependencies on long-term ownership: DC – land transfer

Status and Stage 1 progress


<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Sept ‘22: Electrical inspection and certification completed. Fire inspection and certification completed.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>June ‘23: Building insurance, PI, etc., updated.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Jan ’23: Tendered for windows & doors. Windows installed April ’23. Fire & Front door fitted Oct ’23

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>May ’23: Building Regulation agencies appointed. JHAI approved

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>July ’23: Stage 1: Minor int work approved. Est. £15k. [WC: make accessible. Kitchen: repair/replace water heater, install fridge, cooker, etc. Partition wall: improve accessibility. Repaint throughout

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Oct ’23: Internal carpentry and plumbing approved. Internal decoration prep undertaken.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Nov ’23: Documentation approved for LMYH charity. LMPC financial management of LMYH approved.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Dec ’23: Internal Carpentry and plumbing completed, Doc-M pack installed, etc. Painting ongoing.


<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Nov’ 23: Lord Rockley has agreed to grant the LMYH&YC £6,000 for 2024 and 2025.

Immediate next steps

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>w/c 18/12/23: review requirements for DC grant applications

Current requirements and recommendations.


<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Ceiling painting outside safe aspect of volunteer risk assessment: LMYH WG awaiting quotes.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>MYH ground maintenance: contractor to increase frequency and scope for gardening around building & walls. Recommendation: LMPC R&M budget to be increased for 2023-24. Contractor to undertake asap.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Car park: Tenders underway for groundwork to attempt to resolve flooding.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Cars in car park: LMPC to confirm current agreements and agree approach to future parking.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Exterior window finish/external window trim: Quoted at £25 per window.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Gutters: adjustment/replacement needed to address spillage & wall damage. LMYH WG to get quotes.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Outside lighting: lighting needed for car park to LMYH. PI & time delay mechanisms to be researched.

<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Interior lighting: Upgrade centre lights to LED & check fire exit requirements. AEC (SW) to quote.

LMPC Financial Forecast:

Excluding VAT Detail 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Budget 75,000

Stage 1

20,000 20,000
Running costs 20,000 20,000
Infrastructure expense to date:

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>£10k window/door budget

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>£15k minor int work budget (reduced from original £65k for major int work)

18/04/23: Replacement windows £4075

26/05/23: Replacement windows £4075

19/10/23: Front/Fire Doors, int trim £2,780

6/11/23: Cleaning: £112

29/11/23: Coffee machine & pods £489

17/11/23: WC & partition, int fire door £2,330

Infrastructure forecast estimates. Minor internal work:

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Additional cleaning £258

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>WC/Doc-M installation: £1700

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Replacement water heater £600

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>External window trim: £700

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Ceiling painting £1,000

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Waste removal £500

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>à +++£4,758

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Unallocated £6,381

11,139 TBC TBC
Reserve held for new-build 50,000
Total 75,000 20,000 TBC

Appendices: LMYH Training report as at 23/11/23

Training / Certificate



Dates Candidates
Introduction to Youth Work [Level 2 Certificate] 18/3/23 BB, CD
YW Training: C-Card 25/3/23 CD
YW Training: Facilitating Music Tech 25/3/23 BB, CW
YW Training: Facilitating Song Writing 25/3/23 BB, CW
YW Training: Talking about Alcohol 25/3/23 CD
YW Training: 101 session ideas workshop 25/3/23 BB, CD
Safeguarding with Children [Level 2 Certificate] 9/9/23 BB, CD, RO
Emergency First Aid in the workplace Certificate 14/10/23 BB, CD
YW Training: Suicide Awareness 11/11/23 BB
YW Training: Art Therapy 11/11/23 BB, CD, BC
YW Training: Contextual (out of home) Safeguarding 11/11/23 CD, BC
Dorset Youth community vehicle driving assessment w/c/ 20/11/23 CD
DBS application training 7/12/23 BB
Safeguarding Level 3 Jan 2024 CD, BB
Youth Worker L2 & L3 Apr 2024 CD, BB

Full Minutes 231220 v2.docx

Full Council minutes 20th December 2023