Wednesday 24th November 2021 2021 at 7:00 in the Village Hall.

PRESENT were A Bush (Council Chairman), M Attridge, V Abbott, A Huggins, M Colvey, H Khanna, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton, and A Starr

Five members of the public were also present.

Presentation by Ruth Barden, Director of Environmental Solutions, Wessex Water – Concerning storm overflows, including local issues – followed by Q&As.

A copy of the Powerpoint presentation given by Ms Barden is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

Regarding the matter of overspills at the Bulbury Lane pumping station, Ms Barden said that Wessex Water are working with the local landowner to develop a wetland (i.e. an area of shallow water pond / reed bed as part of their response to deal with this – sized for a 25 year planning horizon. Other elements in Wessex Water’s plans include actions to minimise groundwater infiltration into the sewer system and to further ensure the separation of surface water run-off and the foul water systems in new developments. The wetland associated with Bulbury Lane PS is expected to come into operation in 2023. In response to a question from a resident she clarified that Wessex Water’s action in relation to the Bulbury Lane pumping station should ensure it has the capacity to accommodate the drainage from the proposed 95 dwelling development on land to the west of Wareham Rd.

Ms Barden commented that she would speak to Wessex Water’s manager who is responsible for liaison with developers and Local Planning Authorities to clarify what consultation responses have been provided regarding the Wyatt’s proposal for the 95 dwellings.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

A resident of Glebe Road explained that he was speaking on behalf of fellow residents concerned about the proposed development of 95 dwellings on the land to the west of Wareham Rd. He asked for a progress update on an idea from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group meeting to consider the employment of a Planning Consultant to support the work of that group. He also asked when the next Working Group meeting might take place.

In response, Cllr Bush reported that a letter had been drawn up specifying in detail the matters which the Planning Consultant would be expected to advise on. That letter has been sent to a short list of three Consultants in order to obtain comparative quotes for the required work – in line with the requirements of the Parish Council’s Financial Regulations. Whilst it was hoped that this step might have been completed by the date of this Parish Council meeting, the detailed work involved has meant that it has taken longer. Responses from the three Consultants have not yet been received. Receipt and consideration of these, including approval of any necessary expenditure by Full Council, will drive the subsequent timescales. He confirmed that the next meeting of the Working Group will take place after those decisions have been taken.

In addition, Cllr Bush reminded everyone present that the main focus of the work of the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group is to update the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan, as well as considering its relationship to the draft Dorset Local Plan.

Regarding the draft Purbeck Local Plan, Cllr Bush remarked that this is largely complete and there is little or no scope to influence any significant change to it. He pointed out that its final approval and adoption is delayed only by technicalities related to one aspect only – concerning a site at Morden. However, concerning the location of Wyatt’s proposal for 95 houses, he reiterated that is currently designated Green Belt land and, until the Purbeck Local Plan is adopted, it will remain so and thus prevent the development going ahead.


Two reports were submitted – by Cllr Bill Pipe (in his absence), and by Cllr Brenton on behalf of herself and Cllr Starr. These were made available to members ahead of the meeting and are included as appendices to these minutes (appendices 2a and 2b).

Cllr Huggins requested that DC Ward Members’ reports are provided for Parish Council members earlier please.

In response to a question, Cllr Brenton confirmed that the road gritting teams are primarily drawn from the same team of drivers who drive the bin lorries.

Cllr Morgan observed that some of the views expressed in the letter from Dorset Cllr Ray Bryan quoted in Cllrs Brenton and Starr’s report are somewhat in conflict with those of Dorset Cllr Walsh and the DC Planning Department.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllr B Barker and Dorset Cllr B Pipe.

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 27th October 2021.

It was RESOLVED by all present to approve the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 8, 28th July 2021 – Request to Dorset Council for a licence to install a path running from the junction at the head of steps adjacent to the Pharmacy to where the existing library path joins the High St pavement. A request for a licence to install the footpath was made to Dorset Council via Mr Rupert Williams Development Manager Assets & Property in the summer. This matter was passed to The Operational Assets Surveyor (Mr Bill Wilberforce) who then also emailed with some points for clarification which were responded to by Cllr Bush. As a result the route for the path has been agreed and a draft licence is being prepared. Cllr Morgan is preparing tender documents for the work. DISCHARGED
  2. Minute 7, 25 August 2021 – Parish Clerk to apply to Unity Trust Bank to open the online current account accordingly. This account has now been opened. DISCHARGED
  3. Minute 21, 22nd September 2021 – signage for BMX / cycle dirt track. Advice on appropriate signage is being sought from British Cycling – the governing body for BMX as a sport. The council’s insurers will also be consulted. AS response has now been received from British Cycling. They have some suggested signage for such facilities which they hope to receive final approval week ending 27th November 2021. They will forward a copy to the Parish Clerk as soon as it is approved.
  4. Minute 21, 22nd September 2021 – naming of BMX / cycle dirt track. Cllr Attridge is asking the primary school pupils to suggest a name for this new facility.
  5. Minute 13, 27th October 2021 – Parish Clerk to terminate the MiFi contract for the Wareham Rd Defitb unit. BT have been contacted, and this MiFi contract has now been terminated. DISCHARGED
  6. Minute 18, 27th October 2021 – Resolution to support the request to reduce the speed limit on Poole Rd (A350). As resolved, the Parish Clerk has written to Dorset Cllr Brenton to express the Parish Council’s support for this. DISCHARGED

5. Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

There were none.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 10th November 2021 (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

8. To receive a report from the Village Centre Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes.

9. To receive a report from the Climate Change Emergency Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes.

10. To receive a report from the Huntick Road Cycleway Working Group (for purposes of report only)

No written report. A meeting with Lord Rockley is to be arranged.

11. To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 5 to these minutes. It was noted that the main focus of the most recent meeting had been to review the list of initiatives and the cost forecasts associated with them.

Cllr Huggins added verbal updates as follows:

Dropped Kerbs – mostly completed during week ending 20th Nov. There were still two to finish off. These had been delayed by DC Highways staffing issues.

Tree works at Foxhills Open Space and Hannams Close – both of these sets of work were expected to be complete by 27th November.

11. Receive a report from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 6 to these minutes.

The Chairman commented that it was made clear to those people who attended the initial meeting of this Working Group that its focus of attention is to be the Dorset Local Plan and the need to update the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan. In response to a question he also confirmed that three Planning Consultants had been approached and asked to provide a quote for the work to support this.

12. To receive an update on Defibrillator provision (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 7 to these minutes.

Particular attention was drawn to the following points:

  • 3 x 1 hour public training sessions in the village hall on Sat 15 Jan 2022: 09:15, 10:30 and 11:45
  • A web based booking system is being set up for these.
  • Telephone bookings for people who are unable to access the online system will be via the Parish Clerk’s personal mobile number or via the Clerk’s email address.
  • Provision of tea & biscuits for the event is still to be confirmed.
  • Cllr Huggins reported that the person who volunteered to undertake the regular checks of the Defibs has ceased doing so. Cllr Huggins had checked the units instead.
  • The data monitoring MiFi contract with BT for the Wareham Rd defib has now ceased.

13. To consider amended planning application 6/2021/0365 Caroline Cottage Prospect Road Lytchett Matravers Poole BH16 6ED. Alteration to listed building to install a new wood burner and new chimney pot.


14. To consider planning application P/FUL/2021/02595 Land Rear of 40 Wareham Road Lytchett Matravers Dorset. Erect two detached dwellings.

NO OBJECTION. However the Parish Council wished to comment that, in line with the declarations by the Dorset Council and Lytchett Matravers Parish Council of a Climate Emergency, it would expect the development proposals to indicate the anticipated net carbon contribution – and to include emphasis on use of high efficiency insulation, the installation of heat pumps, solar panels and electric vehicle charging points. The Parish Council would also expect separate drainage systems for foul and surface water and that any hard standing areas be permeable.

15. To consider planning application P/MPO/2021/03684 Land adjacent to Wessex Water Reservoir Purbeck Road Lytchett Matravers Poole Dorset. (1) to specify which units are to be affordable dwellings, (2) to amend the mortgagee exemption clause, (3) to clarify that commencement of development only relates to commencement of any works undertaken pursuant to the planning permission, and (4) to confirm that the release provisions apply to any person who has staircased to own 100% of the equity in a shared ownership unit and not just tenants.

The Parish Council wished to comment that it SUPPORTS this application.

16. To consider planning application P/HOU/2021/04430 76 Wareham Road Lytchett Matravers Poole BH16 6DT. Alterations to existing conservatory and single storey rear extension to form kitchen and dining room.

The Parish Council wished to OBJECT to this proposal on the grounds that the high level windows on the SW side are close to the neighbouring garden and may cause privacy issues due to overlooking.

17. To consider planning application P/HOU/2021/04380 5 The Spinney Lytchett Matravers BH16 6AU. Erect 2 storey side extension, (demolish conservatory).

NO OBJECTION. However the Parish Council wished to suggest the inclusion of a first floor window to the side elevation addressing the street.

18. To select a Parish Council representative on the Village Hall Committee.

Cllr Abbott offered to take on this role. It was RESOLVED to appoint her accordingly

19. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 1st- 31st Oct 2021 49.07 2.45 51.52
Sherborne Turf Ltd Play Bark 459.59 91.92 551.51
Dorset Windows Ltd Supply and fit doors for Pavilion payment of balance (deposit £967.00 already paid) 3062.17 805.83 3868.00
The Warmer Group Ltd Insulation for Pavilion 2132.00 106.60 2238.60
British Telecommunications Office phone and broadband – Oct 2021 52.40 10.48 62.88

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payment already made.

20. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – Nov (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 1039.25 0.00 1039.25
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Nov 2021 383.38 0.00 383.38
T Homer Handyman duties Oct 2021 371.25 0.00 371.25
A Bush Chairman’s Allowance 250.00 0.00 250.00
DAPTC Course fee – Cllr Induction Course (Hannah Khanna) 35.00 0.00 35.00
Idverde Ltd Grass cutting, southern part of rec October 2021 invoice no 10822789 48.00 9.60 57.60
P Tanner Refund of allotment deposit 33.50 0.00 33.50
S P Mills Annual general grass cutting, plus 7 other ad hoc grounds maintenance jobs throughout 2021 5000.00 0.00 5000.00
T Watton Adjustment for underpayment of monthly pay in Oct 2021 69.84 0.00 69.84

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

21. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Khanna had undertaken the New Cllrs Induction training.

22. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).

There were none.

23. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Bush referred to the email on 24th Nov from the Dorset Climate Action Network titled “Dorset Deserves Better – Re-thinking the Dorset Local Plan” which advertised a meeting to be held by Zoom on Tuesday 30th November, 7-9pm to agree the detail of the campaign to be pursued between now and March 2022, while the Dorset Council is preparing its updated Plan. He suggested that members might wish to attend this. Action: Parish Clerk to book a place for Cllr Bush to attend.

24. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 22nd December 2021 at 7pm in the village hall.

The meeting closed at 21:25 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Powerpoint presentation by Ruth Bardens, Wessex Water.

See separate .pdf file.


Report to Lytchett Matravers Parish Council for 24th November 2021

From Cllr Bill Pipe

Firstly Mr Chairman, Members and members of the public, I would like to apologise for my absence this evening as I have caught the “Big Cold” which is racing around the country and thought it best not to infect any more than necessary; I duly offer my apologies on this occasion.

The major topic concerning our residents this past month is the inability of Dorset Council to fulfil their commitment to recover waste and recycling. Various “reasons” have been put forward to me including a lack of a workforce, a lack of lorries, too far to the tip and doing double collections when a collection was missed the previous fortnight. I have responded to a number of residents’ complaints on this matter and have had email correspondence with both Cllr Laura Miller, who heads up this section at Dorset Council and with the relevant officers both at Dorchester and at the Westminster Road Depot in Wareham. All assure me that things are “getting better”; but personally, I am still waiting to see any improvements at all. I will of course continue to stand up for residents in this matter and sincerely hope that things do improve.

I was pleased to see that the Remembrance Day Parade went ahead in the village; unlike the planned parade in Lytchett Minster and Upton which had to be cancelled due to concerns from the Town Council insurers who refused to cover marshals whose duty it was [would have been] to ensure the safety of participants during the road closures.

It was nice to see so many residents at the Manor School on the last two weekends who had come for their flu jabs. On the two occasions we have done this in conjunction with the Adam Practice, we have seen over 1,800 people come through the school site and a further 2,000 through the Poole Ferry Port which included a special clinic for the younger members of our community.

The as yet un-proposed solar farm development on land owned by the Lees Estate continues to court controversy even before it is submitted to Dorset Council; with concerns about the Green Belt being the predominant factor here.

I have also had a meeting with BCP councillors, our own Alex Brenton and Dorset Wildlife Trust about the proposed mineral extraction by the Rothschild family [no, not the bankers, a totally different family] who have given notice that the lease on Upton Heath will not be renewed between the Rothschilds and the DWT after February next year. A united front against this mineral extraction is the desired end game, but with over 90% of Upton Heath being located within the BCP area, Dorset Council and its councillors can only realistically provide a supporting role in this evolving issue. Where we can make a difference is to fight hard to have the access denied to lorries to the heath from the proposed entry point, east of the Upton roundabout flyover off of the slip road.


Report to Lytchett Matravers Parish Council for 24th November 2021

From Cllr Brenton and Starr.

The Queen’s Green Canopy (QGC)

Sunday 6 February 2022 will see the seventieth anniversary of Her Majesty the Queen’s accession to the throne, marking the first Platinum Jubilee in the long history of British Monarchs. Many celebrations are being planned and we have been asked to take part in The Queen’s Green Canopy (QGC) which is a unique tree planting initiative created to mark Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee, by inviting people and councils across the country to take part. The QGC initiative will encourage planting during the official planting season, October to March, to optimise the chance of trees surviving and flourishing. The aim is to see new planting everywhere which embraces all parts of every community. The act of planting and caring for a tree can be an effective way of increasing awareness of the environment around it.

Cold Weather – DC Highways preparations

In preparation for the colder weather, 12,700 tonnes of rock salt is in stock across the five DC highway depots and the gritters have been serviced and calibrated to ensure they are ready for action.

There are 22 main gritting routes treated by the Highways Service when road surface temperatures are predicted to drop below one degree. These roads are used by the majority of the travelling public – covering 684-miles and accounting for around 28 per cent of the Dorset Council road network. In snow conditions, gritters will concentrate solely on priority north/south and east/west routes – 22 sections of road – to keep them clear of snow before clearing the remaining gritting network. When resources allow, community link roads will then be cleared.

Dorset Council’s precautionary gritting network includes all A, B and well-used C class roads as well as:

o links to hospitals, large industrial estates, transport interchanges, emergency services (including manned Coastguard and RNLI) stations and identified critical infrastructure

o routes to all urban schools with more than 500 pupils and rural schools with more than 350 pupils

o primary bus routes with a substantial frequency

o main routes through towns and villages with populations of more than 750

Dorset Highways also carries out gritting for National Highways on the A35 between Bere Regis and Charmouth. This is carried out as instructed by National Highways, based on its own forecasting system provider.

Council tax

Council tax in Dorset is set to rank among the highest in the country for 2021/22 along with a near 5% increase on the year before.Council tax for residents in the Dorset Council area ranks as ‘very high’ for next year in research by the company Property Data. The area ranks 351 out of 387 local authorities across the UK for the price of its tax, where the number one spot is the lowest. In contrast to 2020/21 council tax in the area is increasing by 4.99%, which is one of the largest increases in the UK, with only three other authorities putting their prices up by 5% or more.

Dorset Council rates remain higher for a number of reasons. Unfair funding from government compared to similar councils across the UK, Dorset retains a lower proportion of local business rates than most comparable councils. Dorset receive no revenue support grant (RSG) from government, while many comparable councils still receive several million pounds each year in RSG. And levelling up funding seems to favour urban areas rather than large rural areas like Dorset.

Meanwhile Dorset costs are higher than many other councils because 29% of residents are aged over 65, compared to 19% nationally, who require more social care. Adult social care represents the biggest area of spend for Dorset Council, requiring more than 50% of the council’s budget each year. As a rural council, we also have higher costs – for example, more miles of road to maintain. As a comparison, Dorset Council covers 2600 square miles, while neighbouring BCP Council covers 161 square miles. The research produced by the property data company is based on the average annual band d council tax price for each council in the UK for 2021/22.

Pop-up campsites
In 2020 and then 2021, Government extended the time period to permit the use of land for ‘pop up’ campsites. The normal time period is for up to 28 days per year without the need for an application for planning permission, but in 2021 this was increased to allow a period of up to 56 days in order to assist economic growth for businesses in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. These time periods are cumulative, and the 56-day extended permitted period ends on 31st December 2021. The Government are now consulting on whether certain ‘permitted development’ rights should be made permanent but the temporary use of land provision for ‘pop up’ camp sites is not proposed to extend to the additional 56 days for 2022.

Dorset Council have put together an advice note and information about permitted developments and habitats regulations for information.

COP 26

DuringCOP26 Dorset Council sent letters to key members of central government calling for further help in tackling the Climate and Ecological Emergency. The following from Cllr Ray Bryan, Portfolio Holder for Highways, Travel and Environment, Dorset Council covers the main points in the letters to central government:

“Back in May 2019, at our very first Full Council meeting, Dorset Council declared a Climate and Ecological Emergency (CEE). Supported by councillors from across the political spectrum, we have spent the last two years putting together a strategy for how we will play our part in tackling the greatest existential crisis ever faced by mankind.

We’ve done the research, looked at the available data and set out how we can achieve our goals at a local level. We’ve already made remarkable progress in reducing our carbon footprint via energy efficiencies in our buildings, developing and transforming active travel with our partners at BCP Council, and celebrated the continued success of our waste recycling services, which are amongst the best in the country, to name just three examples.

But there’s an uncomfortable truth that I need to bring to your attention; it won’t be enough.

Dorset Council’s services account for only 1% of the county’s carbon emissions. And yet, to achieve carbon neutrality as quickly as possible, we – as in the people of Dorset – need more money and better support from central government in dealing with the CEE, especially in the wake of the financial challenges caused by the pandemic.

As a coastal county and predominantly rural, the dangers of increased flooding incidents and other extreme weather events alone caused by climate change could be catastrophic for our communities.

We are doing everything we can to address the Council’s carbon footprint, but the remaining 99% of emissions can only be tackled by everyone – central government, businesses, councils and, most importantly, the public – if we work together. And you can help us to make this happen.

With post-pandemic recovery well underway, there has never been a better opportunity to demonstrate how “Building Back Better” can mean making the most of this extraordinary chance to invest in infrastructure that will help prevent and address the worst consequences of man-made climate change.

It’s also the perfect time to make some big changes to national standards, legislation, and procedures to ensure that everyone is pulling in the same direction. We feel that councils need to be provided with significant new powers, responsibilities, and funding to deliver an inclusive and green recovery in their local area.

Here are some of the things we’d like to see the government address: –

o Remove hurdles for renewable energy deployment. It’s unnecessarily difficult to set up solar arrays, wind farms, and tidal power generation in terms of bureaucracy, funding, and physical infrastructure. The economics of subsidy free renewable energy is extremely challenging with a high degree of uncertainty, with network constraints in Dorset increasing these risks and cost, driving up the scale of development and planning issues. In addition, the planning system is unsupportive of on-shore wind, largely ruling out this technology – this needs to change immediately.

o The latest National Planning Policy Framework doesn’t go far enough when looking at climate change prevention. We want increased enforceable standards for building insulation and energy efficiency (as have been introduced in Scotland), implemented nationally so developers can’t just choose to build elsewhere. We want to see massive investment to bring all existing homes up to the highest possible energy efficient standard by 2030. Councils should also have greater powers to refuse planning permission for developments that negatively impact their local environment and are energy inefficient.

o We need more investment in sustainable public transport infrastructure and active travel, especially in rural areas. Over the past few decades, local councils have been forced to cut subsidies for bus services and, as a rural county, Dorset was impacted more than most. We cannot expect people to get out of their cars and onto public and active transport if the service provision just isn’t there. The reduction in emissions from private transport would be significant, and the health benefits of increased walking and cycling are huge too, helping take pressure off the NHS

o We want stronger support for digital infrastructure and flexible working. Enabling employees to work from home during the pandemic has maintained productivity and lowered travel-related emissions. However, some still struggle with connectivity issues, while tacit support from government for “get back to the office” messages is both insulting and counter-productive for those who have worked harder than ever over the past 18 months from their homes. Digital infrastructure investment will allow for this change in working to continue, helps businesses – especially those in rural areas – and is significantly better for the environment as commuting is greatly reduced.

For too long, many people have seen the potential adoption of greener policies and the transformation of our economy, both at a national and local level, as a negative; That by addressing the CEE and putting environmental and ecological benefits ahead of all else, it will mean a level of sacrifice and compromise that some people are not willing to accept. It does not need to be this way. We just need to change our focus to building prosperity around a sustainable economy, rather than slip back into old habits and traditional areas of development that can harm our environment.

If the UK Government can demonstrate bold leadership and use this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to empower local councils, businesses, and communities to build a better Britain that recognises the Climate and Ecological Emergency and its scientifically predicted consequences, we can ensure that future generations reap the benefits of a healthier planet and strong economy.

I have faith that our leaders will take the urgent action necessary to invest in a cleaner, greener future for our country and remove the obstacles we face as we all work together to do what is necessary to address this crisis.

Yours sincerely,

Cllr Ray Bryan”

Dorset Council awarded £2.13m to build on brownfield sites

Grant funding will be used to help build almost 200 homes in Dorset on underused brownfield land, helping local people and families get on the property ladder. Dorset Council submitted an ambitious bid earlier in the year to the Brownfield Land Release Fund, administered through the One Public Estate Programme and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities. £57.8 million has been allocated to councils to develop Brownfield Land into good quality housing while transforming derelict local areas. Dorset Council’s share of this funding is £2.13m and it will be used to enable work to progress on key sites around the county to free them up for residential development. However a very large proportion will be spent on redeveloping Old Council buildings in Weymouth and East Dorset.

Climate Emergency

As part of its commitment to tackle the climate emergency, Phase 1 has seen the installation of 42 chargepoints (sockets) in 21 locations around the County and includes 5 replacement rapid chargers and one new rapid charger at the Langton Road Car Park in Blandford Forum. Use of the chargepoints has saved 51,000 kg in CO2e emissions when compared with petrol or diesel vehicle use. Several of these rapid chargers are expected to be 150kW ultra-rapid chargers, capable of providing 200 miles of driving range in about the same time as it takes to enjoy a cup of coffee.


Village Centre Working Group – Summary Report. Nov 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide a safe green integrated route through the village from Ancott Close, across the Recreation Ground, along Eldons Drove and to the Primary School (Eldons Drove Lane).

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins


1. Revised paths between the Library and shops linking to new High Street crossing

2. Wider path across Recreation Ground around Rocket Park to a graded, wide path through the trees to Eldons Drove; safety barriers at end of path (Pond Walk)

3. Marked pedestrian paths and traffic signage on Eldons Drove

4. School Walk – Path to access the rear of the primary school field from Eldons Drove

5. Pharmacy Steps & surroundings – improvements/landscaping


  • DC Highways agreement on type of High Street crossing point and exact spec.
  • DC Highways confirmation plan is included in 2021/22 LTP
  • DC Highways confirmation of pathway spec. along Eldons Drove and inclusion in 2021/22 LTP

Status/Next Steps:

· LMPC to write to affected Eldons Drove houses advising of new pathway plan.

· Steps construction COMPLETED – Planting preparation started, planting still to be completed

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 8 0
Forecast 0 2
Total 8 2


Climate & Ecological Emergency Working Group – Summary Report, Nov 2021

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ralph Watts, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker, Roger Ong, Rosemary Russell, Adrian Russell, Max Scott, Matt Alexander


  1. Sports Pavilion upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset (LCD). The ‘whole building’ upgrade includes new doors, cavity wall & loft insulation, Solar PV, ASHP (Air source heat pump) to replace space & water heating system.


  • Co-ordinating the works around pavilion users.

Status/Next Steps:

Works already complete:

  • Air-to-air heat pump (to provide instant heat in main user space).
  • Solar array (26 PV panels)
  • Replacement of old, inefficient radiators & pipework
  • New thermally efficient doors, including fire door to comply with Building Regulations
  • Replacement of gas boiler with ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump)
  • Installing loft and cavity wall insulation
  • Fitting thermostats & controls + cage around ASHP unit
  • Fit PV diverter unit to directly heat hot water from PV-generated energy

Works to come:

  • PV battery storage (February 2022)

Part grant claim to be made, as agreed with Low Carbon Dorset – compilation of evidence almost complete – just waiting on website / social media additions (small bit of text and impact about LCD).

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0 ?
Forecast 0 34(1) ?
Total 0 34 ?

(1) Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution.


Village Environment Working Group – Summary Report. Nov 2021

Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Rob Carswell, Vicky Abbot (+ co-opted advisers Geoff Holland, Dr John Holland)

Details: (*denotes 2021-22 expenditure)

1. Rec Area Projects:- Dog Exercise Area – (£6k*):- Exercise Trail/Outdoor Gym Equipment – (£15k*):- Picnic Tables x4 + Benches x4 – (£3k*):- Boules/Petanque Pitches – (£10k):-

2. Community Garden adj fence at top of Pond Walk – (Volunteers – Nil cost to PC).

3. Trees – Rec + generally + Foxhills (£3.5k* Contract let) – Seek sponsorship. Also sw attenuation + murals?

4. Hannams Close entrance enhancement. Discuss with management company. (£5k)

5. Sports Area adjacent school – DC land. Adopted NP proposal. Must include in LP. (£2m? – Lottery fund?)

6. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking – New Car Pk incl for 8 above. (£100k)

7. Play Area winter surface problems Bark to be laid 27Nov21. (PC supply c£500* – Vol labour)

8. Eldons Drove Pond – Ongoing Japanese Knotweed delay. (£5k – Seek nature cons grants)

9. Kerb crossings. Work in progress. (DC funded)

10. Finger post Renovations – Blaneys Corner pilot complete. Vol Training + sponsorship. (Nil cost to PC)

11. Library Green Path – DC agreed so can proceed – (£10k*)

12. Pharmacy Steps Planting – (£400* + GG help)

13. High St Crossing – DC/WSP proposal imminent. Does PC contribute? – (£25k?)

14. Tesco frontage – Acceptable design agreed with DC. Suggest joint Tesco/DC/PC funding. (PC £20k?)

15. Huntick Cyclepath – DC/WSP proposal imminent. Crucial if PLP2/DLP hsg numbers proceed. (PC £150k?)

16. Sports/Scout Bldgs ‘backside’ to High St. Short term Ideas (£3k*) + longer term Workplace opportunity.


· Dorset Council Highways + Planning/LP. LM+Upton TC. Landowners. Flow of CIL monies.

Status/Next Steps:

· Dog Area fencing + gravel Eldons Drove C Pk.

· Exercise Equipment – PC Approval and order.

· Push Tesco/Highways re shop frontage funding.

· Investigate Grants/Funding/Sponsorship/Lottery/ Local Trusts + Loans/Mortgage possibilities.

· Work up designs for Sports Area, Boules, Hannams/Rec entrance+ Rec landscaping/tree planting.


Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group – Summary Report. Nov 2021

Working Group Objective:

To revise and/or update the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan (LMNP) in preparation for the upcoming Dorset Local Plan.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Micki Attridge, Karen Korenevsky, Martyn Colvey, Alf Bush


The current LMNP was limited in scope by both Purbeck District Council and further by the examiner. The plan was prevented from identifying any type of development and in addition many policies/strategies for the community were removed. e.g. infrastructure and employment requirements.

A revised LMNP is required to address the chronic erosion of the green belt over the last 40 years, to ensure development is beneficial to the community in addressing its needs.

· Counter the current erosion of the green belt

· Require that any development meets the Climate Change Emergency sustainable criteria and delivers low energy / net zero buildings.

· Sustainable pedestrian friendly links within the village; safe walking routes, particularly to school.

· Green amenity spaces and recreation facilities around the village.

· Securing safe and attractive walking and cycling connection with the secondary school (2 miles away) and on to the conurbation (5 miles) as well as surrounding countryside.

· Redressing the imbalance of housing and employment opportunities.

· Achieving a good standard of design to reinforce local identity with an emphasis of making and connecting attractive spaces.


· PLP adoption

· DLP next consultancy stage

Status/Next Steps:

· PC to review planning consultant engagement

· PC to write further comments to DC regarding planning application for 95 houses

· PC to review membership of CPRE

· NP2WG to develop core objectives

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0 0
Forecast 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0


Defibrillator Provision – Nov 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide 24/7 Public Access Defibrillator provision throughout Lytchett Matravers. Also provide public information (training) and awareness of locations.

Working Group Participants:

Andrew Huggins, (Alan Cottman)


· 3 years ago, through fundraising, LMPC purchased 3 Defibs and cabinets, one to be located at Chequers (Installed Apr 2020), one for the phone box opposite LMPS (Installed Apr 2020) and one for Abbots Court (Aster).

· Tesco also have a Defib in a cabinet donated by LMPC. This is entirely the responsibility of Tesco as confirmed Jan 2021 by presence of Tesco Asset number on the Defib.

· We have a signed agreement of responsibility between Chequers and LMPC, held by the clerk.

· All installations are fully documented – document is by the clerk.

· Chequers and Phone box Defibs registered with SWAST and “The Circuit” as of June 2021.

· Aster Defib installed July 2021, registered with “The Circuit”.

· Currently automated weekly monitoring is configured. That is only available for 12 months, then £250/year (probably not worth continuing).


· Agreement with Chequers and Aster remaining amicable.

· Equipment not becoming Vandalism target.

· Manual Monitoring currently being done by Village volunteer.

Status/Next Steps:

· Installation of Defib at Abbots Court completed. Agreement between Aster and LMPC signed by both parties and stored by Parish Clerk. Installation registered with “The Circuit”.

· Documentation for the installation updated and stored with the Parish Clerk.

· Training booked for Sat 15 Jan: 3 x 1 hr sessions 9.15, 10,30, 11.45. VH booked,

· Web Bookings system almost finalised – which Clerk phone No to use for Phone bookings? Office or mobile? Tea and Biscuits TBC.

· It seems that the village volunteer is not doing the checks.

· Data connection for Phone box auto monitoring is now ceased.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0.5
Forecast 0.25 0
Total 0.5 0.25 0

Full Minutes 211124v3a.docx
Full Minutes 211124 Appendix 1 (Wessex Water presentation – Bulbury Lane PS Nov 2021).pdf

Full Council minutes 24th November 2021