FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
Lytchett Matravers Parish Council
MINUTES of the Meeting held on 12th December 2016 in the Methodist Church, Wareham Rd, Lytchett Matravers at 7:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Cllrs K Norris, A Bush, M Colvey, J Gracey, J Taylor, P Webb and the Parish Clerk (Mr T Watton).
1. APOLOGIES. Cllr C Wood.
2. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION There was none.
3. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest; and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.
There was none.
4. MINUTES OF THE MEETING on 10th October 2016 were ACCEPTED as a true record.
5. MATTERS ARISING
Minute 12, 6th June 2011. Security of council papers & records. It was noted that one Council minute book is still with Cllr Bush, who is currently making an electronic copy. Carried forward.
Minute 15, 8th August 2016 – Sports Club rent invoice. The committee again noted with disappointment and concern that the Sports Club had still not paid this outstanding invoice. However, Cllr Bush reported that the Sports Club now has two new accounts with Lloyds Bank – one for the Lytchett Astro income and expenditure and the other as a “main” account. Cllr Norris indicated that he would examine the Fields in Trust “Deed of Dedication” to confirm who signed it on behalf of the Sports Club. Action: Cllr Norris to investigate this accordingly. It was also noted that there is an urgent need to identify who the current Sport Club trustees are, and what the Sports Club constitution says about the process to replace to create new trustees. Outstanding Sports Club utility bills related to the pavilion have been paid by the Youth Football club. It was also noted that the average annual expenditure of the Sports Club is around £5K.
Minute 7, 10th October 2016 – Brief for Affordable Housing Meeting. It was noted that PDC will run a further Housing Needs Survey in Lytchett Matravers. A letter to accompany the survey has been approved and an article will be prepared for the Parish Magazine.
6. Receipt of LATEST 2016/17 bank reconciliation and accounts. The Parish Clerk referred to the bank reconciliation and accounts update which had been circulated to all members prior to this meeting. The committee noted that the Council is operating within the budgets it set for 2016/17. It was resolved to RECOMMEND acceptance of the Bank Reconciliation and Accounts update as attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes.
8. Proposal for Parish Council Sub Committee to consider Parish Council branding – proposed by Cllr Gracey.
After some discussion the following actions were agreed:
– Formation of a Working Group consisting of Cllr Taylor, Mr Mark Gracey and the Parish Clerk.
– That the consideration of issues should begin with the tangible presentational features – i.e. letter head, standardised typeface to be used for everything, Lytchett Link, etc.
– Cllr Norris to research published mission statements adopted by other Parish Councils of comparable size & range of responsibilities.
9. Consideration of working paper towards proposed budget and precept for 2017/18.
Members reviewed budget working paper attached at appendix 2 to these minutes. Having considered the levels of individual sub budgets suggested within this paper the members agreed to RECOMMEND to Full Council a precept increase of £3714 (6.25%) to an annual total for 2017/18 of £59,259 – as detailed in Appendix 2. This is subject to the caveat that the increase is for the purpose of ensuring a continued standard of maintenance of existing village assets, plus the need to deal with extra responsibilities devolved from District and County Council level, and despite the sustained upsurge of vandalism which has occurred throughout 2016/17.
10. Consideration of quotation for repairs to Lytchett Astro fencing – see email 28/11/16.
After brief discussion it was agreed to RECOMMEND to Full Council the acceptance of the quotation from South Coast Fencing for £630 + VAT.
11. Consideration of Brighstone Landscaping quote for Foxhills Open Space additional tree and shrub pruning – see email 30/11/16.
After brief discussion it was agreed to RECOMMEND to Full Council the acceptance of the quotation from Brighstone Landscaping for £350 + VAT.
12. Consideration of quotation for renewal of Lytchett Astro maintenance contract – see email 2 Dec 2016.
After discussion it was agreed to RECOMMEND to Full Council the acceptance of the quotation from Replay Maintenance Ltd the 5 year deal option (£990 pa – 5% discount) subject to clarification as to whether an extra level of built-in 10m seam repair could be added.
[Note (not for inclusion in final approved minutes) – A response from Replay to this point has subsequently been circulated to all Council members].
Regarding the ongoing correspondence with the Sports Club over their established responsibility for meeting Astro maintenance costs out of lettings income; in the light of the lack of resolution of the request for these payments from the Sports Club, it was agreed that the Parish Council should not jeopardise the integrity and ongoing use of the Astro through lack of maintenance. Instead that it should temporarily pick up this in the interim and continue to pursue the Sports Club for repayment of the expenditure later.
13. FINANCE AND POLICY RELATED CORRESPONDENCE There was none.
14. MATTERS OF INTEREST AND INFORMATION RELATED TO FINANCE AND POLICY
Cllr Colvey reported that he had recently met the architect of the village Library. He confirmed that the original plans for the building are still in his possession.
Cllr Colvey wondered whether the Council had a document which detailed the principles of the intentions of the Parish Council and the Lytchett Matravers Scouts regarding the Scout Hall and Club Hall premises.
There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 20:50
Annotated by/on …………………………. Approved by/on ………………………
Appendix 1 (Bank Rec 30 Nov 2016).xlsx
FinanceMinutes161212 Appendix 2 (2017 2018 budget precept proposal working paper).xls