Held on Monday January 19th 2015 at 7:30 in the Village Hall, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs: M Colvey, A Bush, A Cottman, A Huggins, I Maitland, K Norris, P Webb, E Wilson, C Wood and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Two members of the public were also present.

1. REceipt of apologies for absence – R Carswell, J Taylor and County Councillor F Drane.


There were none.

3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing Orders Suspended)

Mrs Hampshire commented on a recent power cut which had affected parts of the village, including her mother’s property. She had spoken to the power company and they had indicated that they would compensate for any chilled / frozen food which had been spoiled as a result of this incident. Mrs Hampshire also remarked on the DCC Highways’ contractors work to clear drains and gullies along Huntick Road. This had been done very poorly and may be ineffective. She also commented that she was interested in the complaint which had been raised by a resident of Abbotts Meadow about lack of mobile phone signal coverage. She recalled that a few years ago a proposal put forward on behalf of one of the mobile phone companies for a mast on local land owned by members of her family was objected to strongly by a resident of Abbotts Meadow.

A resident referred to a thoroughfare near his property which had at some point in the past been made more easily usable by traffic as a result of action by DCC. The County Council’s contractors had laid matting and stone, etc to improve the surface. This seems to have encouraged greater use by people with motor vehicles – some of which occasionally get stuck. Pallets and other material have been left after use to help recover stuck vehicles. The resident pointed out that this has resulted in some unsightliness and nuisance. He wondered if the Parish Council could apply some pressure to get DCC to change the classification of this thoroughfare to prevent motor vehicles using it. In response, it was explained that old maps of the area show it to be a long established “green lane” – which permits such use – and that the County Council is usually reluctant to change such historical classifications. In addition, it was reported that a nearby landowner had complained about its condition about 2 years ago (as well as seeking to have its classification changed to prevent use by motor vehicles). DCC had responded by putting some more stone down.


5. THE MINUTES of the Council meeting on December 15th 2014 and the Extraordinary Council meeting of 5th January 2015 were approved as a true record of those meetings, and signed by the Chairman.


  • Minute 13, 18th August 2014. Establishment of Google Diary. Cllr Carswell had previously commented that he would develop and circulate some instructions to guide members in how to link their diaries to the online calendar on the Council’s website; and also how to add items to the website calendar. Action: Cllr Carswell to prepare and email this briefing – CARRIED FORWARD.
  • Minute 10, 15th September 2014. Litter bin for MUGA. Awaiting installation by the Village Handyman.
  • Minute 12, October 20th 2014. Outstanding Risk Assessment for Recreation Ground. This is still awaited. CARRIED FORWARD.
  • Minute 23, October 20th 2014. Response to Viridor Credits detailing the publicity plans for the Foxhills – Deans Drove path. DISCHARGED.
  • Minute 23, October 20th 2014. DCC Consultation on litter and street cleaning. Cllr Norris had written to DCC to complain about the failure to meet their 10 day response standard for the original correspondence. This has not been responded to within the deadline so he will now take the matter up with the line manager of the original addressee at DCC.
  • Minute 17, 15th December 2014 – correspondence with a resident regarding poor mobile phone signal. Cllr Colvey had indicated that he would raise this matter with Ofcom, but had not yet been able to do so. Action: Cllr Colvey to contact Ofcom accordingly.
  • Minute 17, 15th December 2014 – Fly tipping near the Sports Club’s bulk waste bin alongside the Sports Pavilion. It was understood that the previous incident of fly tipping in this location had been dealt with very promptly by PDC Environmental Services after being reported to them by Cllr Norris. It was now reported that further rubbish has appeared in the same location – some of which seems to be from the Sports Club. At the Sports Club’s forthcoming meeting, Cllr Cottman will remind the Club that the Council’s permission for the bulk bin was on condition that all of their rubbish should be enclosed within it.

7. District Cllrs report.

Dist Cllr Colvey reported on issues from the PDC meeting on Tuesday 13th January 2015. The most substantive issue was the consideration of the public consultation on the Partial Review of the Purbeck Local Plan. It was agreed by PDC that there would be a public consultation. Members and Officers of the District Council have agreed the issues to consider, and the options for each of them which the public should be consulted on. Regarding new development, there are more options for Lytchett Matravers than elsewhere in the District. In the light of this, PDC plans to hold a dedicated consultation day on the matter in Lytchett Matravers library. It was reported that this partial review is necessary because the Inspector did not accept Purbeck’s Plan. Cllr Colvey reminded members that an “engagement event” on the Partial Review is to happen on 10th February. It was confirmed that Cllr Bush and Cottman have already booked places on the evening session of this event.

8. County Councillor’s report

County Cllr Drane was unable to be present, so no report was given.


Neighbourhood Planning Group.

Cllr Bush reported that the main Neighbourhood Planning Committee is met 2 weeks prior to this meeting. He explained that the initiative had reached the point where it is necessary to get the plan documentation together. Valuable discussions are taking place at the meetings but the outputs of these are proving somewhat difficult to manage, summarise and capture in a clear way. Some re-thinking is therefore taking place as to how to organise the next meeting to focus more on generating useable outputs to build up the necessary documentation. It was noted that a linked plan based on agreed policies and conditions supported by a set of detailed practical objectives is required. With awareness of Neighbourhood Plans developed by other communities which had been approved at referendum, the challenges of establishing a logical structure for the eventual output document were discussed at some length. The meeting was reminded of an email on 19th January from Mr D Bevan of HLF Planning Ltd, and it was suggested that as a local expert, Mr Bevan is given copies of everything produced so far to see if he can suggest ways to structure it and take it forward. It was AGREED that a 1:1 meeting takes place between Mr Bevan and Cllr Bush to clarify (i) what material has been produced so far, (ii) what gaps there might be, and (iii) What Mr Bevan is offering to do.

10. Recommendations from Committees:

(a) Environment & Amenities Committee – meeting 5th January 2015:

  • Contractor to be booked to clear the vacant allotment plots of rubbish and make them ready for re-letting. Whilst doing so, to the contractor is to also clear the remains of the Allotment Society pavilion building from the site on which it stood.
  • Twice yearly meetings to be set up to enable liaison with Allotment holders. Meetings to take place on 25th March and 29th September each year. The Council is to be represented by two Council members. Invitations to be extended to all allotment holders. Action: Parish Clerk to set up these meetings, book a venue accordingly, and send out invitations.
  • In relation to concerns raised about the cost of intermittent clear-up operations of allotment plots, the idea of charging new plot holders a substantial deposit to be retained in the event of such work is to be raised with the Allotment Society. Action: Cllr Colvey to raise this with the Allotment Society.
  • To include sufficient money in the 2015/16 budget to print 1500 copies of Lytchett link per issue.
  • To invite the primary school to run “naming” suggestion scheme for the new path linking the Foxhills Open Space and Deans Drove.

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above recommendations, and to accept the minutes of this meeting.

The Parish Clerk also referred to the “Dog Control Signage” report which he had produced and circulated shortly before the meeting for consideration of the Council. He explained that this had been circulated prior to receipt of the quotation from a supplier of the signs and posts. This had now also been received. He commented that the supplier’s quotation had erroneously included tracking and banding for the 40 x A5 size signs “No fouling. Dogs on leads” – which needs to be amended. Action: Parish Clerk to ask the supplier to amend the quotation accordingly.

The Parish Clerk pointed out that the quotation separately shows the cost of installation – as an alternative to the Village Handyman carrying out this work over a longer period of time.

In view of the size of the quotation, it was agreed that it would be necessary to obtain two further quotations. Action: Parish Clerk to request quotations from two other suppliers.

11. Receipt of remaining risk assessment.

Cllr Colvey advised that this was not available yet. Carried forward.

12. Primrose Donation to Village Hall Toilets / Cloakroom Project.

The Parish Clerk reported that a response letter had at last been received from Primrose Solar to the donation request sent to them on 23rd October. However, the letter had indicated – for the first time – that Primrose expected the donation of up to £25K to be inclusive of VAT. This was surprising as the ability of the Parish Council to recover the VAT means that payment of a donation inclusive of VAT seems to be sub-optimal for both Primrose and the Council. Consequently the Parish Clerk raised the matter with his contact at Primrose in order to point out that the Council is able to recover VAT paid on its projects, and querying the donors’ reasoning for making this stipulation. In the meantime the Village Hall committee have also been advised of this development. A response from Primrose is awaited.

13. Consideration of letter from DCC Cllr Peter Finney dated 9th Jan 2015 and confirmation of actions arising from it (see Chairman’s email to Cllrs dated 11th Jan 2015).

The Chairman’s letter to County Cllr P Finney, and Mr Finney’s response, had been copied to all members. Copies are attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. Cllr Bush also clarified that he and Mr Tomlinson had written to Mr Finney on behalf of the Neighbourhood Planning Group regarding the matters related to the school. Regarding the matter of yellow lines suggested in Mr Finney’s letter, the Chairman remarked that the matter of control of parking at the beginning and end of the school day had been the subject of a residents’ petition – which had focussed on the need to control / restrict parking in Cecil Place, Dillons Gardens, and Deans Drove; and in Wareham Rd around the junctions with these roads. In addition, the Council had urged DCC to examine these problems holistically. The Council was therefore somewhat puzzled to note that Mr Finney’s response made no mention of solutions around those locations – but instead indicated a potential traffic control order for yellow lines around the Eldons Drove junction with Wareham Rd. It was agreed that Cllr Colvey would write to DCC Highways Officer Andrew Brown on this specific issue. Action: Cllr Colvey to respond to Mr Brown accordingly. It was also noted that there is a need to review the outputs of the original site visit by Cllr Finney to identify the gaps between what was raised at that meeting and what has been covered in Mr Finney’s letter to the Council. Cllr Norris agreed to review this correspondence. Actions: (i) Parish Clerk to forward to Cllr Norris a copy of Cllr Colvey’s letter to Cllr Finney and Cllr Finney’s reply. (ii) Cllr Bush to forward to Cllr Norris a copy of Mr Tomlinson’s email to Cllr Finney.

14. Consideration of (i) proposed schedule of meeting dates for 2015/16 (ii) meetings venue(s) for 2015/16.

After a brief discussion it was RESOLVED to accept the schedule as attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

15. Consideration of draft policy for handling “blanket correspondence”. (See email to Cllrs 12th Jan).

The proposed policy was considered and it was RESOLVED to adopt the version attached at Appendix 3 to these minutes.

16. Allocation of Council Risk Assessment responsibilities 2015.

The risk assessment of the Council’s physical assets were discussed and it was agreed that these would be undertaken by Council members as listed below – with the completed assessment forms being returned to the Parish Clerk in electronic form via email before the end of March 2015. The Parish Clerk will forward the relevant assessments undertaken last year for members to use as a checklist to help up build up this year’s assessments. Last year’s completed forms are also intended as the template on which the newly assessed risks are listed and returned. Action: Parish Clerk to forward the documents accordingly.


  • Cemetery – Cllr Wilson
  • Allotments – Cllr Cottman
  • Benches / seats – Cllr Bush
  • Bus shelters – Cllr Norris
  • Club Hall – Cllr Wood
  • Memorial Green – Cllr Taylor
  • Recreation Field – Cllr Carswell

17. Consider and review council’s banking arrangements.

Members were reminded of the current arrangements whereby the Council operates a Community Current account and a Community Deposit account with HSBC, as well as leaving its previous Santander current and deposit accounts open, but dormant. It was RESOLVED to endorse this arrangement for continuation, at present. It was agreed to review the signatories at the next Finance & Policy Committee meeting. It was also agreed to add a standing agenda item to the Finance & Policy Committee the review of the performance of the Council’s investment with Prudential. Action: Parish Clerk to add these matters to the agenda of the next Finance & Policy Committee meeting.


There was none.


Village Fayre DAPTC Footpaths Village Hall
School Liaison Youth Organisations Sports Club

Village Fayre: Cllr Maitland advised that there would be no Village Fayre in 2015. It was decided to remove this topic from this agenda item for 2015. Action: Parish Clerk to amend the agenda heading accordingly.

DAPTC: It was noted that the next meeting is in February.

Footpaths: Nothing to report.

School Liaison: Nothing to report.

Village Hall: Nothing to report.

Sports Club: It was noted that both the Chairman and Treasurer have stood down. Cllr Cottman will be attending a Sports Club meeting shortly.

20. Council to approve the following payments alreadymade: –

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3403 HMRC PAYE and ENI quarter 3 888.92 0.00 888.92


Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
3404 T Watton Clerk’s salary – January (12 equal monthly payments by standing order) 878.20 0.00 878.20
3405 T Homer Handyman duties – December. 229.50 0.00 229.50
3406 Continental Landscapes Grass Cutting, Southern end of Rec – December 20.00 4.00 24.00
3407 The Landscape Group Cemetery maintenance- December 303.49 60.70 364.19
3408 Southern Electric Car Park Lighting – quarter 3, 2014-15 – by DD 16.47 0.82 17.29
3409 Wessex Water Water Supply at Allotments: 28/06/14-11/12/14 – by DD 314.00 0.00 314.00
3410 D&P Warr Hedge Trimming, Allotments 120.00 24.00 144.00
3411 Brighstone Landscaping Ltd Foxhills Open Space maintenance Oct-Dec 2014 560.93 112.19 673.12

It was RESOLVED to approve all the payments listed in items 20 and 21above.


The Parish Clerk reported on the following correspondence received:

A letter from PDC accompanying the “Dorset Heathlands Planning Framework 2015-2020 Consultation Draft Supplementary Planning Document”. This consultation can also been accessed online planning with “Heathland SPD” in the subject box, or by post to Planning & Regeneration Services, Borough of Poole, Civic Centre, POOLE BH15 2RU.

A letter from PDC advising of receipt of application for works to protected trees at 2 Palmers Orchard, Lytchett Matravers.

A letter from PDC advising of receipt of application for works to protected trees at 152 Wareham Rd, Lytchett Matravers.

A letter from PDC advising that planning application 6/2014/0643, in respect of the site rear of 1 Foxhills Cresc, will be considered by the PDC Planning Board at its meeting commencing at 11am on 28th January 2015 at the District Council Offices. The letter invites the Council to send a representative to speak on this application, if it so wishes.

An email from the bookings secretary of the Village Hall confirming all bookings made for Council meetings until the end of the Council year – with the exception of the following, which clash with existing bookings:

Thursday 2nd April – Church Maundy Thursday Supper

Monday 13th April – Technical Rehearsal for Castle Players’ Spring Play

Thursday 7th May – Polling day

Action: Parish Clerk to seek alternative venues for these three dates.

A letter jointly sent by NALC and SLCC (received via DAPTC) advising of new pay scales for Parish & Town Clerks to take effect from 1st January 2015 which had been agreed between these associations. The Parish Clerk clarified that for his pay point (SCP 24) this represents an increase of 35p per hour (£455 per year). The Council noted that the Parish Clerk had declined to take the previous pay rise. Action: Proposed new pay rate to be formally considered at the Finance & Policy Committee meeting on 9th February as a new amendment to his contract of employment.

A letter from Purbeck Citizens Advice Bureau requesting consideration of a grant award for 2015-16 to support the continuation of the weekly consultation / advice sessions held in Lytchett Matravers Library. Action: Parish Clerk to add this matter to the agenda of the next Finance & Policy Committee meeting.

Cllr Webb reported on a letter he had received from an elderly resident who expressed concern over the use of fireworks on New Year’s Eve and the threat to her thatched property. She also referred to similar concerns about celebrations on and around 5th November. The letter was passed to Cllr Norris.


Discussion took place on the need for a further litter-pick in the village. A date of 15th March was agreed, and it was noted that there will be a need to publicise this – ideally including it in a forthcoming edition of the Lytchett Link.

Some concerns were expressed about Council meeting venues – particularly as the level of sound from the other booking in the Village Hall at this meeting was very high. It was noted that the main hall doors had been propped open, which had worsened the impact on the Council meeting. It was also suggested that a curtain across the door to the Blanchard Room may improve matters. It was noted that the Village Hall secretary had already been informed that the Council wished to book the venue for the remaining dates in this Council year’s schedule, and it was argued that these bookings should be honoured. The Parish Clerk was asked to add the matter of meeting venues to the next meeting of the Full Council. Action: Parish Clerk to add this to the next Full Council meeting agenda accordingly.

The Parish Clerk explained that due to an important family commitment he wished to take a day’s annual leave on Thursday 5th February – the date of the next Planning Committee meeting. Cllr Wood indicated that she would take notes of the meeting, which removes the need to find a locum Clerk for the evening.

The meeting closed at 9:45pm.

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by/on …………………………

FullMinutes 150119 Appendix 2 (Meetings schedule 2015-16).doc
FullMinutes 150119 Appendix 3 (Policy for handling blanket correspondence sent to multiple members).doc


Minutes of Full Council meeting 19th January 2015