LYTCHETT MATRAVERS Parish Council logo

Wednesday 22nd June 2022 at 7:00 in the Blanchard Room at the Village Hall.

PRESENT were A Bush (Council Chair), M Attridge, B Barker, A Huggins, H Khanna, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllr A Starr.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

There was none.



A report was submitted by Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton, a copy of which is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.  Cllr Starr had nothing he wished to add to this.

The matter in Dorset Cllr Brenton’s report that “DC is working with Citizens Advice Bureau Alongside the phone line and appointments session there are drop in sessions at Lytchett Library Friday 10-12.” Seemed to imply that DC had enabled some CAB sessions locally. However on investigation it turned out that these drop in sessions are on Fridays at exactly the same day and time as the existing LMPC paid-for sessions are advertised to happen. Related to this, members were reminded that the Parish Council’s invitation to Purbeck CAB is still outstanding for someone to attend a Council meeting to talk about the details of how they are using the funding for sessions LMPC has paid them, and how they are promoting the sessions. Action: Parish Clerk to chase this up with Purbeck CAB to arrange for a representative to come to a Full Council meeting.

The meeting Chair explained that an additional urgent and important item was exceptionally to be added to this meeting. This concerns some emergency drainage work with had to be carried out on the recreation ground. This matter is covered in minute 15 below.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Cllrs V Abbot and R Aspray. Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and B Pipe.

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.


3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 25th May 2022.

It was RESOLVED by all present to approve the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 21, 22nd September 2021 – signage for BMX / cycle dirt track. Following the inspection carried out by a RoSPA safety inspector, both the inspection report and the requirements of the Council’s insurers were considered at the Finance & Gen Purposes Committee meeting on 11th May (minute 8). As a result recommendations were put to the Full Council under agenda item 11.1 at the May Full Council meeting, and agreed. It was also agreed that the signage would be erected by the Guerrilla Gardeners.  Action: Parish Clerk to deliver the sign to the Parish Council office.
  2. Minute 7.1, Full Council 27th April 2022 – demolition of bus shelter opposite war memorial, Lime Kiln Rd.Stage 1, removal of asbestos roof. The Parish Clerk had contacted a specialist asbestos contractor to obtain a quote for this work and a quote of £595.00 excluding VAT was received for this work. The Council approved this to go ahead and, as reported under minute 6 iii of the F&GP Cttee meeting of 8th June 2022, the asbestos roof has now been safely removed and disposed of by a specialist asbestos contractor in readiness for demolition of this defunct shelter. It was noted at the F&GP Cttee meeting that Cllr Morgan had indicated that he would be able to dispose of the bricks when the shelter is demolished. Consequently the next stages need to be co-ordinated with Cllr Morgan. DISCHARGED to F&GP Cttee to monitor. Cllr Morgan suggested that he would begin the demolition week commencing 27th June 2022, assisted by members of the Guerrilla Gardeners. 
  3. Minute 7.2, Full Council 27th April 2022 – Purchase of replacement litter bin for Rocket Park. This has now been received. It was agreed that the Guerrilla Gardeners will install it.
  4. Minute 7.3, Full Council 27th April 2022 – replacement of the elderly rectangular bin adjacent to the upper car park located approx. halfway between the Sports Pavilion and the Village Hall. This has now been received. It was agreed that the Guerrilla Gardeners will install it.
  5. Minute 14, Full Council 27th April 2022, bullet point 2 – insurance cover for the two events to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. This was received. DISCHARGED


5. Chair’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

Cllr Bush commented on matters related to the Purbeck Local Plan. There had been a change of Inspector after the previous one had retired. A further hearing is scheduled for 19th July 2022 which will consider the policies dealing with Green Belt and Morden Park. It was noted that representatives of Lytchett Matravers should attend the hearing – particularly concerning the Green Belt policy.

In response to a question from Cllr Webb the Chair stated that as far as he was aware a response was still awaited from Natural England on the matter of control of phosphate run off.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 8th June 2022 (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

7. To consider the following recommendations from the Finance & General Purposes Committee

7.1 (F&GP Cttee 8th June 2022, minute 12) to approve “yes” answers to the Annual Governance statements 1-8 within section 1 of the AGAR for the year ended 31 March 2022 and N/A to statement 9.


 7.2 (F&GP Cttee 8th June 2022, minute 13) to approve the financial statements within section 2 of the AGAR for the year ended 31 March 2022.


8. To consider planning application P/HOU/2022/03162 7 Cecil Place Lytchett Matravers Poole BH16 6FG. Convert roof space into habitable accommodation with side dormer.

The Parish Council did not wish to register an objection to this proposal. However members observed that the very large side dormer appears unnecessarily over-scaled and, despite the annotation of obscure, fixed glazing, will appear domineering and intrusive from the adjoining rear private gardens. The Council noted that the dormer is barely set back from the front and rear gable walls, and is separated only by a marginal sliver of pitched roofing. The members of the Parish Council felt that the dormer should be much more modest in scale.

In addition the Parish Council would, in line with the declarations by the Dorset Council and Lytchett Matravers Parish Council of a Climate Emergency, expect the development proposals to indicate the anticipated net carbon contribution – and to include emphasis on use of high efficiency insulation, the installation of heat pumps, solar panels and electric vehicle charging points. The Parish Council would also expect separate drainage systems for foul and surface water and that any hard standing areas be permeable.

9. To consider planning application P/HOU/2022/03463 11 Landers Reach Lytchett Matravers Poole BH16 6NB. Single storey rear extension and part conversion of garage.


10. To consider planning application P/HOU/2022/03628 Linden Lea Deans Drove Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6EQ. Raise the ridge of the roof and convert to form living accommodation with 1 dormer window and erect single storey side extension.

The Parish Council did not wish to register an objection to this proposal. However the Parish Council would, in line with the declarations by the Dorset Council and Lytchett Matravers Parish Council of a Climate Emergency, expect the development proposals to indicate the anticipated net carbon contribution – and to take the opportunity to incorporate appropriate high energy efficiency measures as part of the proposed works – such as high efficiency insulation and the installation of solar panels.

11. To receive a report from the Climate Change Emergency Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

The Parish Clerk is to pursue the matter of the export tariff with Octopus Energy. Action: Parish Clerk to check this and communicate with Octopus and Rob Carswell accordingly.

It was noted that there is a need for the Council to consider how to utilise the Youth Club building for the future.Action: all members to consider this and feed ideas back.

12. To receive a report from the Huntick Road Cycleway Working Group (for purposes of report only)

No formal report / nothing to report. However, Cllr Huggins commented that he had written to DC Highways at the beginning of June to chase up on their outstanding response to the Parish Council proposal to build the next section of the path as far as Jubilee Walk, funded by LMPC. DC Highways had acknowledged receipt of this and that they would respond more fully after a meeting on 9th June, however no such reply had yet been received.

13. To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes.  It is hoped to hold the next meeting of the Working Group during week commencing 27th June. It was clarified that confirmation of the date for delivery and installation of the gym equipment is still awaited. Similarly, the delivery date for the benches and picnic tables is not yet certain – due to the suppliers awaiting some imported parts.

14. Receive a report from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes. Cllr Bush commented that the DC Local Plan & Planning Transformation meeting on May 27th had been disappointing in its limited subject matter and discussion. He also reported that there had been no reply yet to Dorset Council’s letter to Michael Gove.

15 To consider a proposal to proceed with installation of the Library Green path.

It was reported that the grant request for funding for this has been turned down. It was noted that the Council has the necessary permission from Dorset Council to do the work; and that local estimates put the cost at around £10K. After some discussion it was RESOLVED to proceed with obtaining professional estimates / quotes for the work, to then be reported back to Full Council for consideration.

16. To consider a proposal to purchase of land at Huntick Road adjacent to common land.

It was explained that this proposal concerns a small parcel of land alongside Huntick Rd which has recently been offered for sale by auction on 28th July 2022. The land in question is adjacent to common land near the property called Alder Rise. It was noted that the Auctioneers guide price is set at £5.5K and that there would be an administrative charge of £900 associated with the sale / purchase. The eight members present at the meeting debated whether the Council should pursue the acquisition of this land if it could be obtained at a reasonable cost, and it was established that seven were in favour of doing so (one abstention). It was AGREED to investigate whether there is a way to offer to buy the land in question for a lesser price ahead of the auction date.  The Council also gave in-principle APPROVAL of the expenditure of up to £5.5K plus £900 administration fee for this possible acquisition.

17. To consider the ongoing responsibility for maintenance of sewer / drainage arrangements for the Sports Pavilion

The Council Chair outlined the recent problem of blockages of the sewer / drainage serving the Sports Pavilion and Scout Hut. The blockage has been cleared, pipework repairs made and a previously hidden inspection point built up to make it readily accessible. In view of the lease arrangements between the Sports Club and the Parish Council it was considered appropriate to formally clarify where responsibility for maintenance of this should lie. Following Council discussion it was RESOLVED that responsibility will rest with the Parish Council unless specific evidence is found in the case of any problem that it was directly caused by the occupiers of either the Scout Hut or the Sports Pavilion.  Consequently, on this occasion, the cost of the recent remedial works will be met by the Parish Council.

18. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total


Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 1st– 31stMay 2022 13.02 0.65 13.67
British Telecom Office phone and broadband – May 2022 48.10 9.62 57.72
Kate Porter Face painting – Jubilee Celebrations 135.00 0.00 135.00
The Charitable Emporium Provision of covered stage, PA system, sound engineer/ stage crew, startent, performance at jubilee celebrations 1250.00 250.00 1500.00
Zurich Town & Parish, Insurer Trust Account PL insurance for Jubilee celebrations 351.67 0.00 351.67

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

19. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – June 1040.95 0.00 1040.95
HMRC PAYE & ENI – June 377.66 0.00 377.66
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib June 2022 390.02 0.00 390.02
T Homer Handyman duties, May 2022 282.62 0.00 282.62
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance May 2022, Inv 10844335 330.75 66.15 396.90
Idverde Ltd Grass cutting, southern end of rec x 3 in April 2022 Inv 10844436 124.80 24.96 149.76
Dorset Council Supply of 8 x 240l bins for Jubilee celebrations 169.11 0.00 169.11
A Huggins Reimbursement for expenditure on behalf of Council: 2 x 19Kg propane cylinders for Jubilee celebrations 104.82 20.96 125.78
Lytchett Matravers Village Hall Hall hire and  additional cleaning – jubilee celebrations 164.00 0.00 164.00
SLCC Annual renewal of Clerk’s membership of SLCC 234.00 0.00 234.00
PCC of St Mary’s Lytchett Matravers Annual subscription to parish Mag, 4 colour from cover of Parish Mag Oct 2021, provision of refreshments for APM 28 May 2022 103.50 0.00 103.50
Asbestos Contracting Ltd Remove and dispose of bus shelter roof. 595.00 119.00 714.00
Glasdon UK Ltd 2 x Topsy 2000 waste bins. 500.20 100.05 600.25
A Bush Reimbursement for purchase of compost for jubilee tree, replacement padlocks for rec drop posts, Mileage for trip to Poole tip for Guerrilla Gardeners. 39.30 0.00 39.30
Darkin Miller Ltd Internal Audit work Apr-June 2022 550.80 110.16 660.96
Zurich Town & Parish, Insurer Trust Account Annual Insurance premium 2022/23 3357.93 0.00 3357.93

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

20. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

There was none.

21. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).


22. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

The Council Chair reported on an approach from the U3A group who are looking for somewhere to temporarily store am quantity of archive material. It was suggested that it may be appropriate to approach the Primary School – given that this material may be a suitable resource for students to draw on when undertaking project work.

The Parish Clerk reported on a request from a local milk producer for permission to install a milk vending machine on the land between the Scout Hut and the Sports Pavilion. This matter has been added to the agenda of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting to be held in July.

23. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

  • The next full Council meeting is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 27th July 2022 commencing at 7pm in the Blanchard Room at the Village Hall.
  • The Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting scheduled for Wednesday 13th July commencing at 7pm in the Blanchard Room at the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 20:20

Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………




Report to Lytchett Matravers Parish Council for 22nd June 2022

From Dorset Councillor Alex Brenton


Dorset Councillors have had an update on new Housing regulations. Town and Parish Councils have had a similar update.  The new regulations partly answer my question at last Full Council meeting. New builds and new extensions must now comply with a higher specification for insulation and lower carbon use. These apply to any application which has not been lodged with Housing Regulations before Wednesday 15th June.

The changes toughen up on the following matters:

Ventilation: changes will help to improve air quality and ensure properties receive the necessary ventilation.

Conservation of Fuel and Power: changes will primarily impact the energy efficiency requirements for buildings.

Overheating: the new regulations aim to limit overheating in properties by introducing passive measures such as fitting shutters for shade and glazing design in new houses.

Electric Vehicle Charging: new residential properties will require the installation of electric vehicle charging points.

Locally. Further clarification is being sought from Natural England on various details, in particular around the suitability of current nutrient mitigation strategies in the Poole Harbour catchment for dealing with the impact of phosphorus. In the meantime, planning permission will only be granted if Dorset Council can be satisfied that it will not lead to an adverse effect upon the integrity of a protected habitat as a consequence of the impact of nutrient enrichment upon water quality.

A local issue with 54 Sandy lane may have been settled with the large north facing window being replaced with Rooflights.

Potential Local Traffic disruption. I am sure you are aware of the Upton House Food fair which may cause traffic disruption this weekend.  24-27June.


Help and advice for residents in financial difficulties. Because of the Economic problems with rising prices, Dorset Council is publicising widely the ways to get help and advice. DC is working with Citizens Advice Bureau Alongside the phone line and appointments session there are drop in sessions at Lytchett Library Friday 10-12. Though when I called there were no takers but it is early days.   The advice on Council Tax problems and Homelessness and Mental health issues, are still through the DC helpline.


Climate emergency. Work continues on small changes which are reducing the carbon footprint of Dorset Highways. Lower temperatures in surfacing products and solar heating of products are being trialled.

Hanson has used a new reduced carbon asphalt to resurface a Dorset road, as it explores the potential of innovative materials to help meet net zero carbon ambitions.  The trial has been completed through the Dorset Highways Strategic Partnership, an ongoing agreement with Dorset Council which facilitates innovation and collaboration.  Hanson combined its ERA warm mix asphalt with Shell Bitumen CarbonSink binder, which contains biogenic material that absorbs and stores COthroughout its lifecycle, to resurface the B3091 in Shaftesbury.


Dorset Council finances. Dorset Council ended the last financial year in a better position than expected – although there is concern about the costs of rising inflation on this year’s budget.   The figures for many areas mask an underlying problem – that of unfilled vacancies and the difficulty in recruiting in a low-wage, high-cost county.  The planning service has experienced a number of financial issues in 2021/22 including unachieved savings, shortfalls against income targets and difficulties with recruitment resulting in high agency (outside staff) costs.

Waste department has kept to budget largely because of higher prices paid for recyclables at present.  But recruitment problems have resulted in a poorer service.

There has been again an overspend in Children’s Care, largely caused by increased costs in getting children with health and additional educational needs to and from school, or other placements.


Foster parenting in Dorset. There is concern that an increasing number of Dorset foster parents now being at, or beyond, normal retirement age. There is a drive to recruit more foster carers inside Dorset to keep children in County which is cheaper for the Council and better for the children to be in familiar areas to keep school and wider family links. Dorset Foster Care is not for profit and builds a community among caring families. Please promote this in any social media or newsletters you produce. It is a worthwhile activity especially for those people who would have liked a larger family. Foster carers do not have to be in classic two parent families.


Place Scrutiny Committee recommendations in regard of Summer Provision. A few recommendations have been made – mostly concerned with Weymouth)

  • A list of retailers within the Council area that had banned the sale of disposable barbeques to be made available to Councillors
  • To check the provisions concerning licensing on short term camping – the additional provisions made during the Covid19 pandemic and the ongoing situation
  • To check the situation with regard to resilience planning by town and parish Councils including liaison through the DAPTC
  • To ensure that there are out of hours contacts available to all town clerks
  • A list of major events in the Dorset Council area with risk rating to be reviewed and made available to all




Climate & Ecological Emergency Working Group – Summary Report, June 2022

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker


  1. Sports Pavilion full building upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset (LCD).
  2. Youth Hall full building upgrade – deferred until DC transfer and building business plan is approved.


  • Youth Hall Business Plan

Status/Next Steps:

Works already completed – the Sports Pavilion is fully functional with solar panels charging the battery and exporting to the grid.

  • Finalise LCD grant payments
  • SSE inspection and sign-off
  • Finalise Octopus export tariff
  • Monitor electricity usage to determine savings
  • Plan for Youth Hall – published in Parish Mag for any ideas

Works to come:

  • The Lighthouse Church is not renewing their licence for the Youth Hall. The building is ready for use and they are willing to donate most of the equipment, but we need to find a regular user group (s).
Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date 0 0 0
Forecast 8k less 3k LCD payment 0 0
Total 5k 0 0



Village Environment Working Group – Summary Report. June 2022


Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses. Due to other pressures a Progress Mtg has not convened since the Nov PC mtg.


Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Vicky Abbot, Hannah Khanna, Martyn Colvey



  1. Rec Area Projects:- Exercise Trail/Outdoor Gym Equipment – Picnic Tables x4 + Benches x4 – Boules/Petanque Pitches. Dog Exercise Area. Bins. Trees + Swales/sw attenuation.
  2. Community Garden adj fence at top of Pond Walk – Volunteers now finalising proposals.
  3. Higher Cross Bus Shelter – AC roof removed. Demolition + cart away to follow. Make good plinth.
  4. Trees – Rec + generally– Seek sponsorship.
  5. Hannams Close entrance enhancement. Discuss with management company.
  6. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking – DC/WSP proposals discussions ongoing. – New Car Pk?
  7. Pond –J.K reduced but still evident. Treatment required.
  8. Finger post Renovations – Blaneys Corner done. Vol Training + sponsorship. Progress on Upper X with discounted parts available.
  9. Library Green Path – DC agreed so can proceed. Tarmac + Bk Edgings – No Dig spec over roots.
  10. High St Crossing – Awaiting DC Highways.
  11. Tesco frontage – Acceptable design agreed with DC. Suggest joint Tesco/DC/PC funding. Possible bollard/boulder compromise?
  12. Sports/Scout Bldgs ‘backside’ to High St. Short term Ideas + longer term Workplace opportunity.



  • Dorset Council Highways + Planning/LP. Flow of CIL monies.

Status/Next Steps:

  • Fix VEWG meeting date.
  • Demolish Bus Shelter + cart away.
  • Adult Exercise Trail + Benches/Picnic Tables/Bins – Orders Placed. Start date?
  • Exercise Dog Area fencing + gravel Eldons Drove C Pk. Layout agreed. Firm up price/date.
  • Community Garden – Sketch plans received from neighbour/volunteers. Mtg 4.7.22 to progress.
  • JK treatment adj Pond Walk
  • Work up designs for Sports Area, Boules, Hannams/Rec entrance+ Rec landscaping/tree planting.
  • Push Tesco/Highways re shop frontage funding.
  • Investigate Grants/Funding/Sponsorship/Lottery/ Local Trusts + Loans/Mortgage possibilities.
  • Library Green Path – Invite tenders.
Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date
Forecast 115 150 ?
Total 115 150 ?


Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group – Summary Report. June 2022

Working Group Objective:

To renew the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan (LMNP) in readiness for the Dorset Local Plan.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Micki Attridge, Karen Korenevsky, Alf Bush, Peter Webb, Ian Taylor.


The current LMNP was limited in scope by Purbeck District Council and further by the examiner. The plan was prevented from identifying any type of development and in addition many policies/strategies for the community were removed. e.g. infrastructure and employment requirements.

A renewed LMNP is required to address the chronic erosion of the green belt over the last 40 years, to ensure development is beneficial to the community in addressing its needs. i.e. sustainability, CCE net zero, design standards, local employment, community infrastructure and amenities.


  • PLP2 adoption – delayed due to need for new hearing on Morden Park
  • JR review decision
  • DLP next consultancy stage


Status/Next Steps:

  • DC Local Plan & Planning Transformation May 27th – handouts distributed. Essentially this was a report from various departments on how they are addressing the backlog of applications.
  • Draft response to PLP2 Hearings on July 19th.
  • Stephen Morgan (barrister) on PC responses to PLP2 and DLP.
  • Follow up with Wessex Water on wetlands and Natural England nitrates/phosphates
  • Continue work on draft NP2 policies
  • Work with CAN/CPRE on DLP issues
  • Follow up with DC on government reply to DLP delay letter
Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date 0 0 0
Forecast Planning Consultant      5

Barrister review            5

0 0
Total 10 10 0


Full Council Minutes 22 June 2022