Wednesday 23rd December 2020 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), M Attridge, B Barker, R Carswell, M Colvey, A Cottman, A Huggins, K Morgan, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and A Starr

One member of the public was present.


There was none.


Dorset Cllr Brenton reported on the following matters:

5G Trials – Dorset Council is keen to promote its activity in introducing 5G trials in some areas. These include Lulworth estate (rural businesses), coastal mapping and communication (RNLI), business innovation (Dorset Enterprise Park), and Agriculture (North Dorset)

Dorset Council are working with Wessex Internet on the above.

Childrens Services – Theresa Leavy has been appointed as the Executive Director of People – Children at Dorset Council.

The Warm coats appeal had a good response and over 200 families have been helped.

The “Help and Kindness” website still has details of all the voluntary groups who are helping the public this year.

Members of the public in need of help with Utility bills this winter can apply to Dorset Council.

Covid response. As at the date of the Full Council meeting Dorset was still in tier 2, but with stronger guidelines to prevent infection spread.

COVID-19 vaccination programme in Dorset During week commencing 7th December the NHS in Dorset started to vaccinate people against COVID-19 at Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. In week commencing 14th December. The first local vaccination services, based on primary care network (PCN) groupings, started across Dorset – with other services to follow over subsequent weeks.

Internet security. DC Councillors have had to deal with a lot of phishing emails recently, so Dorset Council now have a training scheme to alert and train them to notice and deal with such emails, and be aware of the dangers of ransomware. Parish & Town Council have also been advised that none of their DC Ward Councillors are likely to ask them to buy Argos or Amazon vouchers or similar. It was reported that one Parish Council had fallen for this scam.

Highways. There have been problems in the wet weather with road accidents, and trees down and temporary flooding. DC Highways have given the DC members a briefing on how they are streamlining and improving response to winter weather and reducing the carbon footprint of road improvements – with much reuse of road plainings and different binders in the top road surface. Morden B3075 was the first section to have this new ‘Low Carbon’ surfacing.

Lytchett Matravers Cycleway. Cllr Brenton has again raised the issue of the Lytchett Matravers Cycleway with the relevant DC Cabinet member. He has responded to say that it will be discussed as part of consideration of the next tranche of spending.

Planning – There is a Green Belt review by Land Use Consultants which will go with the Spatial Plan into consultation in January 2021. It analyses the many different land parcels in Green Belt as to whether they perform well on the purposes of the designation.

The most recent planning application related to 86 Wareham Road will go to the Eastern Planning Committee in January 2021 for decision. Any objectors can submit a 450 word statement which will be read out. Ward Councillors can do the same.

Police Precept. The Police & Crime Commissioner has written to all DC Council members asking for support for an increase of £1.25 a month on the precept to pay for the increased policing costs of this year and recruit 64 new officers in Dorset.

The new year will see Dorset Council working with Dorset Police and other community partners to help deliver a new domestic abuse prevention programme called Drive. This national scheme has proven successful at reducing levels of abuse in other parts of the country and targets people who have committed violent offences as well as those responsible for coercive and controlling behaviour.

Action on Empty Homes Dorset Council has appointed an Empty Homes Enforcement Officer – to provide specialist input to the caseloads of long-term empty homes being managed by our Environmental Health Officers.

Cllr Starr added to the above by reporting that the protocols for introduction of 20mph limits will be discussed at the next DC Overview and Scrutiny meeting.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllr Wonnacott; and Dorset Cllr Pipe.

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 25th November 2020.

It was RESOLVED to approve these minutes as a true record of the meeting.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made by members during the meeting.

  1. Minute 6, Full Council meeting 26 Aug 2020 – to obtain cost for welding repair to upper car park gate. As agreed, the Parish Clerk approached Russell Matthews to undertake this work.
  2. Minute 10, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – Amended planning application 6/2020/0297 enforcement request regarding breaches of planning conditions. All members had been forwarded a copy of the correspondence with the LPA and Enforcement officer in response to the submitted enforcement request. It was reported that this matter is to be considered at the online DC Planning Committee meeting on 6th January 2021. DC Cllr Brenton explained that only written representations will be heard – with a limit of three statements of objection, of up to 450 words each. Cllrs Bush and Morgan indicated that they would compile such a statement on behalf of the Parish Council, which will concentrate on planning policy issues.
  3. Minute 13, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – approval for installation of bollards adjacent to the Village Hall. This work has been completed. However, a related discussion regarding the safe storage of the key was raised and it was agreed to arrange for a key safe to be installed in the Parish Office.
  4. Minute 18, Full Council meeting 28th October 2020 – letter to Tesco with joint Ts&Cs for Defibrillator. Cllr Huggins has confirmed that a letter has been sent to Tesco Head Office accordingly. No reply had yet been received.
  5. Minute 19, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – details for kerb cleaning trial run. Mr Mills has experienced problems obtaining the machine. None of the local hire companies have one readily available and are now hoping to obtain one from another branch.
  6. Minute 20, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – Proposed website re-structuring: feedback from members to Cllr Barker. This is covered by a separate agenda item (see item 10 below) DISCHARGED
  7. Minute 22, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – preparation of draft application letter for the Parish Council to act as the “Legal Entity” to apply applying to the Rural Gigabit Scheme on behalf of interested residents with internet speeds of <30MB/s. Cllr Huggins reported that the Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme for the centre of the village has been submitted to Openreach, following a Zoom call with Openreach and Dorset Superfast. He explained that he had been advised that some properties should not be included in the project because either a) they are in Morden (wrong exchange) b) they already have superfast available to them but may need to change ISP to one which can offer the higher speeds, or c) they are already in scope for a planned fibre upgrade as part of a scheduled upgrade anyway (i.e. Huntick Road).

The scheme now has 51 properties in scope which it is hoped will be sufficient for the project to be viable. If it is “close” it is understood that Openreach normally assist in identifying other properties which might be added for little cost. These would each yield a further £2500 in vouchers. As the legal entity and guarantor of the application, the PC will need to assess the business case once all the estimate are finalised.

  1. Minute 21, Full Council meeting, 25th November 2020 – correspondence from resident of Eldons Drove regarding overhanging trees. A response was sent to the resident confirming the Council’s satisfaction that the works had been carried out to specification and Highways standard. A copy of the Council’s Tree Policy was also included. DISCHARGED

5. Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The Chairman commented on the following:

That an Easement had been negotiated with the owners of Caroline Cottage regarding the drain which runs through the grounds of that property carrying water from the Recreation Ground. This provides for the Council to bear 50% of the cost of future inspection and maintenance.

The Guerrilla Gardeners work at the car park – shifting soil and planting. The Chairman offered a particular note of thanks to Cllr Ken and Sharon Morgan.

That the Twinning Association had carried out its usual “Santa Run” – fundraising around the village for the LM Angels, who have set up a new “Just Giving” page.

6. To note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 9th December (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to note the contents of these minutes. There were no recommendations for consideration. It was also noted that the next meeting on 13th January would consider the budget and precept for 2021/22.


A summary report which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes. Attention was drawn to the new planting around the car park and the completion of surfacing of School Walk. It was noted that the matter of the steps near the Pharmacy is still ongoing. In response to a question it was confirmed that the High St crossing will be aligned offset from the Recreation Ground path.


A summary report which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes. A response is awaited to the Salix grant applications for both the Pavilion and Club Hall.


The Council members noted the content of the summary report, which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes. The matter of a suggested alternative surface to tarmac is to be discussed by the Working Group. Council members were invited to consider whether they wished to join this WG.


The Council members noted the content of the summary report, which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes. It was noted that the quotation for the website works are below the de-minimus limit. It was agreed that these could go ahead. Members were reminded to give their feedback to Cllr Barker regarding what website changes they would like to be considered.

11. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4405 BT Office phone and broadband – Nov 54.25 10.84 65.09
4406 Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 9th Nov -30th Nov 2020 43.74 2.19 45.93
4407 Gould Groundworks Ltd Invoice 1194 – retention payment for land drainage works on Rec 258.58 51.72 310.30

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

12. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4408 T Watton Clerk’s salary – Dec (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 968.81 0.00 968.81
4409 Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Dec 2020 (includes effect of pay uplift and back pay Apr-Nov 20202) 465.30 0.00 465.30
4410 HMRC PAYE & ENI quarter 3 2020/21 1058.84 0.00 1058.84
4411 T Watton Pay award 2020/21 accumulated back pay (net) Apr-Nov 2020 186.61 0.00 186.61
4412 T Homer Handyman duties Nov 2020 398.25 0.00 398.25
4413 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – Nov 20 303.49 60.70 364.19
4414 DAPTC Course fee – role of local council in planning (K Morgan) 39.00 0.00 39.00
4415 Replay Maintenance Ltd Astro Half yearly inspection / maintenance visit Dec 2020. 470.25 94.05 564.30
4416 A Bush Chairman’s Allowance 2020/21 250.00 0.00 250.00
4417 DAPTC Course fee – Important planning concepts 39.00 0.00 39.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

13. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Morgan attended DAPTC course “The Role of Local Councils in Planning” and “Important Planning Concepts”.

14. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (fpor purposes of report only).

There were none.

15. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Morgan referred to the insurance claim with Muller for the damage their lorry driver did to one of the new car park bollards.

The Chairman and the Parish Clerk referred to correspondence from a resident of Gibbs Green regarding a section of path on the Foxhills Open Space. It was noted that there is a 7-8 metre section which has sunk under the mud. It was agreed that a temporary solution be deployed by requesting a local contractor to cover this section with a layer or bark / wood chippings. A further investigation can then take place regarding a longer term solution. Action: Parish Clerk to contact Mr Mills accordingly.

16. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 27th January 2021 at 7pm.

The meeting closed at 20:04 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Village Centre Working Group – Summary Report December 2020

Working Group Objective:

To provide a safe green integrated route through the village from Ancott Close, across the Recreation Ground, along Eldons Drove and to the Primary School (Eldons Drove Lane).

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins


  1. Revised paths between the Library and shops linking to new High Street crossing
  2. Revised lower car park with charging points, bike stands and replanting of trees
  3. Wider path across Recreation Ground around Rocket Park to a graded, wide path through the trees to Eldons Drove; safety barriers at end of path (Pond Walk)
  4. Marked pedestrian paths and traffic signage on Eldons Drove
  5. School Walk – Path to access the rear of the primary school field from Eldons Drove


· Pharmacy owner’s Agreement to steps improvement.

· DC Highways agreement on type of High Street crossing point and exact spec.

· DC Highways confirmation plan is included in 2021/22 LTP (est. 55k)

· DC Highways confirmation of pathway spec. along Eldons Drove and inclusion in 2021/22 LTP (est. 16k)

Status/Next Steps:

· Lower rec car park – surfacing, marking, EV charging, benches, cycle hoops, tree planting – completed.

· Lower rec car park – planting 95% complete – further planting on-going. 1 extra bench to be installed.

· Pond Walk – Path through woods to Eldons Drove open and 95% complete (awaiting a good-weather window to finish a soft spot), plus 1 bench to be installed.

· School Walk – DC granted the licence for Eldons Drove path to school. Surface complete. Awaiting DC & adjacent landowner acceptance to fit barrier gate.

· LMPC to write to affected Eldons Drove houses advising of new pathway plan.

· LMPC to replace Pharmacy steps and renovate the surrounding area – agreement reached with owner/tenant. Awaiting legal documents.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 91
Forecast 8 (1) 71
Total 99 71

(1) Pharmacy steps


Climate Change Emergency (CCE) Working Group – Summary Report December 2020

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ralph Watts, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker, Roger Ong, Rosemary Russell, Adrian Russell, Max Scott, Matt Alexander


  1. Sports Pavilion upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset or other grant
  2. Youth Hall upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset or other grant
  3. Parish tree planting program


· Acceptance of grant applications in order to proceed with upgrades to both buildings

· Identification of suitable sites for tree planting

Status/Next Steps:

· Sports Pavilion – Application submitted to Salix. Stage 1 agreed in principle, subject to technical review.

· Youth Hall – Application submitted to Salix to catch grant fund expiration window. Awaiting formal acceptance of stage 1.

· Tree planting completed at the Lower Rec Car Park project. Verges to be identified in consultation with DC Highways.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0
Forecast 34(1) 52(2)
Total 34 52

(1) Sports Pavilion – Salix Grant could be 100% of costs of upgrades & renewables, otherwise Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution. Forecast shown is 60% of cost.

(2) Youth Hall – Salix Grant could be 100% of the cost of upgrades & renewables, otherwise Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution. Forecast shown is 60% of cost.


Huntick Road Cyclepath Working Group – Summary Report December 2020

Working Group Objective:

To provide a dedicated safe cycle route to Lytchett Minster School and on to Poole from the village.

Working Group Participants:

Andrew Huggins, Alf Bush


  1. The requirement for a dedicated cyclepath was included in the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan and was unanimously approved at the referendum and subsequently adopted by Purbeck D.C.
  2. The proposed route starts at the Rose & Crown crossroads and goes down Huntick Road. Preliminary agreement has been reached with Highways and the landowner to the north of Huntick Road.
  3. The final stage from the Race Farm junction to Post Green and/or Dorchester Road is to be finalised.
  4. The initial 180m from the R&C junction will be included as part of the Wyatt/Morrish development in Huntick Road. That development has now started.
  5. LMPC to complete the next section to Jubilee Walk (linked to Selbys Yard decision).


· DC Highways confirmation on the full route, particularly after Race Farm.

· Confirmation of the LTP commitment within the Purbeck Local Plan, which includes the requirement for both DC and the developers to provide 150k each for local transport needs. This would be earmarked for the cycylepath.

· Outcome of the planning application for Selbys Yard to include short section along their frontage.

Status/Next Steps:

· To meet with Lytchett & Upton Town Council to liaise within their plans and to jointly support the section within their town boundary.

· Discussed first 180m with Wyatts/Morrish Site Manager and confirmed 3m width, probably across full width of site frontage on Huntick Road.

· Contact affected Huntick Road houses advising of new cyclepath plan, including Selbys Yard decision.

· Reassessment of preferred surface and width from Jubilee Walk onwards.

· Dorset Council to receive report from their Highways consultant, on options for routing etc. PC have requested this be a joint review.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date
Forecast 30 150
Total 30 150


Communications Working Group – Summary Report December 2020

Review of print, online and social media activities

· The council contributed to the December Parish Magazine with updates on the Village Centre car park and School Walk. The January edition will continue with more details of the tree planting and future work.

· The website has been updated village plans, School Walk, and from the 23rd December, a seasonal greeting.

· We have also joined the Lytchett Matravers Village Forum which is another successful community group page

LMPC Website current header:

LMPC website

30/11 NIHR looking for volunteers for COVID related survey

9/11 CONSULTATION on the proposed temporary closure of Flowers Drove

14/12 Vacancy for a Parish Councillor (Dec 2020)

18/12 Everything you need to know about the Guerrilla Gardeners

18/12 Village Centre December 2020

21/12 Update on the new school walk

23/12 Merry Christmas from the Parish Council

LMPC Facebook page

As per the website

LMPC Twitter

As per the website

LM Community & Village Forum Facebook page

25/11 Move to Tier 2

15/12 DC Jumper & coat donations

18/12 Who are the Guerrilla Gardeners?

23/12 Christmas greetings

Going forward:

· The proposed navigation has been reviewed by Mark Gracey of Flavourfy Digital who maintain the LMPC website. The quote for the website makeover is £150 + VAT.

· Next Parish Magazine copy deadline is 15/1/21 for the Feb 2021 edition.

· Should we consider a Lytchett Link for the Spring?


Full Minutes 201223v2 (Word)

Full Council minutes 23rd December 2020