Minutes of the meeting of LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Wednesday 24 June 2020 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), B Barker, R Carswell, M Colvey, A Huggins, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton, B Pipe and A Starr

One member of the public was also present.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

A local resident who lives in Wareham Rd made a statement, a copy of which is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

DORSET COUNCILLORS’ REPORT

Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton reported as follows:

A new Childrens’ home in Weymouth to be built to keep more cared-for children in the County.

Homeless families are being asked to find their own rental places now that Hotels, etc are likely to re-open.

IT activity at Dorset Council has been essential, because their meetings are now online through the Microsoft Teams conferencing software. Cllr Brenton reported that there is much talk of “reset and recovery” and learning to work more distantly and in new ways. DC members have had weekly update webinars on Coronovirus, but now they cover different subjects. However, because of the numbers they are listen-in rather than interactive. Planning meetings suffer somewhat from the distance – as it is hard to see body language. They can be rather stiff and formal.

Dorset Council is investigating if there are any powers to limit the sale or use of disposable BBQs as the recent irresponsible use and subsequent heath fires have stirred several petitions and public concerns.

Cllr Brenton commented that the stench in Lytchett Matravers has been detailed extensively elsewhere. She had received numerous complaints and requests for action. She also reported that she had talked to Mr Trim. She commented that all his actions follow the EA protocols for waste, so she felt it was hard to see what else could be done. However, she recommended establishing communication so that the community is forewarned of possible nuisance.

Cllr Brenton commented that deer collisions on the A35 have increased a lot since lockdown. The possible reasons put forward include deer becoming used to quieter roads, migrating more because of the heath fire, or simply massively increased numbers looking for grazing. She has asked for the A35 Safety Improvement group to be re-started.

Dorset Childrens’ services are concerned that after months of lockdown vulnerable and isolated children are suffering and they are trying to gather information about activities on offer this summer for children in Dorset. They hope to encourage as many voluntary groups to offer sports, crafts or cultural activities, mostly outdoors, during August to prepare children for school in September. She asked the Parish Council to consider how it might respond to this. She wondered if there is a contact list of groups who might put on activities in the village; and whether the Parish Council support new groups by meeting the financial cost of their insurances or DBS checks. There is no central government funding, but there may be Dorset support from Outdoor Education Team and Dorset Arts network.

Win on Waste is still on hold whilst thought is being given to ways to manage social distancing and more hygiene measures. It may be necessary to find alternative room instead of Libraries, where there may be more space.

In response to the above point about activities on offer for children this summer, the following comments were made:

· Cllr Bush indicated that he would get in touch with the Scouts and Guides.

· Cllr Webb will speak to the Lytchett Matravers Football Club

· The Parish Clerk will speak to Lighthouse Church regarding their normal youth activities/.

· Dorset Cllr Pipe referred to events for younger children being run by Casacamp Ltd (casacamp )

Dorset Cllr Bill Pipe reported on planning training he had recently received, as well as his activity on the Licencing Sub Committee and a Sub Committee dealing with councillors’ complaints.

Cllr Pipe commented on the situation regarding the travellers currently at the Lytchett Minster Telephone exchange site. Although they could not be moved on during lockdown, from 4th July they can be moved. After this has been achieved the site security will be increased to prevent a return.

Finally, Cllr Pipe referred to the activities of the Upton Together community support group.

Dorset Cllr Andrew Starr reported that the application for an Aldi supermarket on the former Upton Oil site is about to come before the Eastern Area Planning Committee.

To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllrs Attridge, Cottman and Wood.

To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meetings held on 27 May 2020.

It was RESOLVED to approve these minutes as a true record of the meeting. The minutes were then duly forwarded to the Council Chairman for signature and return to the Parish Clerk.

To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made by members during the meeting.

i. Dorset Cllrs Report, Minutes 23rd October 2019 – DC Criteria for placement of SIDs. The Council is now awaiting the delivery and installation of the SID unit.

ii. Minute 13, 23rd October 2019 – Replacement fence for Rocket Park play area. All of the materials for the fence have been delivered to Poole Business Services’ Hatch Pond Rd Depot ready for them to install it. The latest update from Poole Business Services is that the fence will be installed in July.

iii. Minute 7.1, 26 February 2020 – Contact Santander to close the two dormant bank accounts. Deferred due to the current health crisis, i.e. (i) bank advisor availability, and (ii) the possibility that the accounts might be needed for some purpose during the crisis. DEFERRED

iv. Minute 7.2, 26 February 2020 – PBS to lay 5 square metres of rubber flooring inside Rocket Park south side gateway to address worn, sharp concrete edge. This has been booked with Poole Business Services. This will be done at the same time as the new fence is installed.

v. Minute 7.3, 26 February 2020 – Request Poole Business Services to supply and installation of 48 recycled plastic posts, plus relocation of 2 dropping posts. This work has been completed. DISCHARGED

vi. Minute 10, 27 May 2020 – appointment of council representatives to the DAPTC Area Committee and the Larger Councils Committee. The Parish Clerk reported that he had written to Peter Bowyer as chair of the DAPTC Purbeck Area Committee to see if it is possible to change the scheduled meetings of the Area Committee away from 2nd or 4th Wednesdays of the month. Cllr Bowyer has agreed to this.

vii. Minute 11, 27 May 2020 – Advertising the Parish Council vacancies and review of person spec for Council membership. Dorset Council were notified of the vacancies and have produced the requisite notice which is on display on the website and noticeboard. The person spec adopted by the Parish Council in June 2015 has been updated by the Parish Clerk and forwarded as an appendix to this report to all members for consideration.

Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The Chairman referred to the insurance claim in respect of a flooding incident at Caroline Cottage. An offer has been received regarding a Right of Easement sharing responsibility for the drain, and a meeting is due to take place to discuss this.

He also reported on the positioning of the social distancing banners provided by Dorset Council – outside the school and opposite the Library.

To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 10th June 2020 (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to note the content of these minutes.

To consider recommendations from the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 10th June 2020 as follows:

i. Recommendation to award a grant of £1000 towards the cost of installing the infrastructure needed for WIFI and CCTV, and to approve the sharing of the Parish Council’s existing broadband connection – on condition that the Village Hall will contribute £25 per month towards the cost of the broadband. After some discussion it was decided to DEFER any decision on this until it has been possible to speak with members of the Village Hall committee to better understand the Broadband and / or phone sharing scheme they have in mind.

ii. Recommendation to award of a grant of £630 contribution towards the cost of the Life Education visit to Lytchett Matravers Primary School. RESOLVED to approve.

To consider planning application 6/2020/0258 Southern Electric Power Distribution Plc. Caroline Cottage, Prospect Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6ED. Overhead line from existing pole 1 to existing pole 2 serves 1 connection. Proposed to now serve 2 customers. NO OBJECTION.

To consider planning application 6/2020/0159 The Cottage, Loop Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6B. Erect a first floor extension with an increased roof height & new rooflights & internal alterations. Form 2 new parking spaces with stepped access to dwelling. NO OBJECTION.

To consider planning application 6/2020/0250 12 Foxhills Crescent, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BE. Proposed loft conversion with front & rear dormer to form accommodation. NO OBJECTION.

To consider a proposal to set up a meeting with local farmer Mr Trim, the Lees Estate, DC Environmental Health, Local residents and Parish and Dorset Council members to review what course of action could be taken to mitigate the effects of slurry application. After some discussion it was unanimously RESOLVED to approve this proposal. Cllr Webb commented that legislation under the Environment Bill is likely to require a stop to the putting of liquid slurry onto the land. Consequently, over time it is anticipated that this issue will go away. Action: Parish Clerk to draft a letter to go to all parties mentioned above inviting them to a meeting to discuss this matter.

To receive and consider reports of the following Working Groups:

  1. Village Centre: Cllr Carswell commented that there was little to report apart from preparation for re-tendering for the various phases of the car park work. Mr Morgan has also highlighted the controls which will need to be in place when this starts.
  2. Library: Dorset Cllr Brenton commented that she is attempting to obtain an update on the action due to be taken by Mark Osborne at Dorset Council concerning the Library, Astro land transfer and the lane off Eldons Drove.
  3. Astro: As above comment regarding the land transfer. It was noted that according to the latest published Guidelines from Government open air play spaces such as this can re-open from 6th July. It was acknowledged that in order to do so safely there is a need to draw up procedures for use. Cllr Bush indicated that he would contact the head of Lytchett Minster School about the approach taken at Lytchett Minster Sports Centre. Cllr Webb suggested that he would also speak to Lytchett Matravers Football Club to draw on any advice provided by the Dorset FA.
  4. Village Hall: Cllr Cottman was not present. No report.
  5. Huntick Rd Cycle Path: This matter is currently with Dorset Highways Dept. Cllr Huggins referred to the preparation of a letter intended to go to local residents whose properties are adjacent to the highway verge intended to be used for the section of the path between the new Huntick Rd development and Jubilee Walk.
  6. LM Charitable Trust: The Chairman advised that he and Cllr Webb will starting work on this with the Sports Club.
  7. Parish Council communications: Cllr B Barker had prepared a report, a copy of which is attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes.
  8. Climate Emergency: Nothing yet to report. It is understood that Mr Watts is doing some work in preparation for requesting quotes for the various elements of work.
  9. Broadband provision improvements: Nothing further to report.
  10. Defibrillator project: Cllr Bush reported that he had passed the matter of the broken cabinet on at Tescos back to the shop manager. However, it is understood that she has been on holiday.

Cllr Huggins commented that the phone box now has a defibrillator in the cabinet. He assumes it has been registered with the South West Ambulance Service, although none of the Lytchett Matravers units are yet showing on their online map of defibrillator locations.

The Council is still waiting to hear from Aster Housing regarding the installation of the final unit on their premises.

13. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4320 Zurich Insurance PLC Council insurance renewal 2020-21 2579.13 0.00 2579.13
4321 BT Office phone and Broadband May 2020 75.77 15.15 90.92

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made. However the Perish Clerk reported that the payment to Zurich Insurance had not been paid by the bank due to the cheque being incomplete. Consequently a further cheque is to be issued.

14. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4322 T Watton Clerk’s salary – June (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 945.54 0.00 945.54
4323 Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib June 2020 373.14 0.00 373.14
4324 DAPTC Annual subscription 864.79 0.00 864.79
4325 Replay Maintenance Ltd Lytchett Astro half yearly maintenance visit, June 2020 470.25 94.05 564.30
4326 Water2Business Allotment water 17/12/19-02/06/20 368.54 0.00 368.54
4327 J Coe Refund of LMAS fee paid by BACS to the council in error 5.00 0.00 5.00
4328 Zurich Insurance PLC Replacement for cheque 101142 (incomplete – unpaid) 2579.13 0.00 2579.13
4329 HMRC PAYE & ENI 956.66 0.00 956.66

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

  1. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month.

The Parish Clerk has undertaken a training session webinar covering the protocols involved in an event affecting the Royal Family.

16. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents. The Parish Clerk reported that he had arranged with the village handyman to reinstate the safety checks and servicing of childrens’ play areas. He also reported on the Covid-19 risk assessments which he had carried out, and the research he had done regarding suppliers of the appropriate safety signage with will be necessary as lockdown continues to be lifted.

  1. Correspondence.

Cllr Huggins reported on an approach from a representative of the Friends of the Adams Practice concerning the retirement present of a tree which they are hoping might be planted in a public open space somewhere in the village. In response it was suggested that the autumn is a more appropriate time to plant a tree. It was also decided to respond by suggesting that it may be more appropriate for the doctor to plant the tree in her own garden.

The Parish Clerk reported on three items of correspondence:

The completion of the quarterly licence for pizza vending in the car park on Friday evenings.

Correspondence with a resident who was concerned about possible traffic / parking congestion by the recent parking of a camper van on the High Street.

An email received via DAPTC from Dorset ANOB Partnership on behalf of Dorset Food and Drink Producers, seeking outdoor venues for 10-15 stalls. It was agreed that the upper (western) end of the car park may be suitable for this.

  1. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 22nd July 2020 at 7pm. The access link to this meeting will be made available to members of the public on request from the Parish Clerk (tel 07824 829491 or email lytchettmatravers )

The meeting closed at 20:46

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………

FullMinutes 200624 Appendix 1 (Public Participation – statement).pdf
Full Minutes 200624 Appendix 2 (LMPC Comms Group Updates June 2020).pdf

Full Council minutes 24 June 2020