Meeting of Full Council, Weds 26th April 2023 at 7.00 p.m. in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall.

PRESENT were A Bush (Council Chair), M Attridge, A Huggins (Council Vice-Chair), K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk / RFO).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton, and A Starr.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

There was none.


Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton produced a report which had been made available to members ahead of the meeting. Members noted its content, and a copy is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

There were no questions.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Cllrs V Abbott, R Aspray B Barker, and H Khanna,

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.


3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 22nd March 2023 and the Extraordinary Full Council meeting held on 12th April 2023.

It was RESOLVED to approve the minutes of both meetings as true records of those meetings. They were duly signed by the Council Chair.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters on the minutes of the Full Council meetings (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 17, Full Council 10th Aug 2022 – dog exercise area. Actions:

Removal of the bramble roots and re-seeding with grass. It was noted that the work will now be carried out in the spring. At the April Full Council meeting the Parish Clerk reported that he had left a voicemail on Mr Warr’s number about this. Cllr Webb also indicated that he would also remind Mr Warr.

  1. Minute 14, 22nd Feb 2023 – Parish Clerk to approach the Army Cadets for reimbursement for the cost of the work. This request was forwarded to the Army Cadets maintenance contact who has passed it on to his headquarters. A progress chaser was sent on 21st March 2023. This reimbursement was received in the Council’s bank account on 28th March 2023. DISCHARGED
  2. Minute 18, 22nd Feb 2023 – Parish Clerk to write to the Village Hall Management Committee with request for the replacement of the windows and frames in the Parish Council office. The Parish Clerk wrote to the Village Hall Management Committee accordingly. A response has been received via Cllr Attridge which asks about the possibility of using the same contactor as appointed for the Youth Hall work. It was agreed to raise this possibility with the YH appointed contractor. At the April 2023 Full Council meeting it was reported that the contractor had quoted £1000 for this job. Action: Parish Clerk to write to the Village Hall Management Committee to advise them of this.
  3. Minute 20.1, 22nd Feb 2023 – communication of outcome of grant request and the confirmation of Council responsibility for churchyard maintenance including the boundary wall. The Parish Clerk has written to the PCC accordingly; and also suggested that they may wish to seek additional quotes from providers approved by the diocese. A response has been received from Rev Partridge thanking the Council for this and confirming that they will seek the additional quotes. In the meantime a draft “Churchyard Maintenance policy” was prepared and was approved by the Parish Council at its March 2023 meeting.
  4. Minute 20.2, 22nd Feb 2023 – communication of outcome of consideration of grant request form LM Scouts. The Parish Clerk has written to the Scouts accordingly – i.e. approval in principle of a grant award of 10% of the total project cost – up to a maximum contribution of £5K and subject to receipt and Council prior approval of a detailed design proposal for the modifications. This has been acknowledged on behalf of the Scouts, with thanks to the Parish Council. DISCHARGED
  5. Minute 25, 22nd Feb 2023 – offer from a mobile catering company to operate from the High St Car Park on Saturday mornings / Cllr Bush to speak to the Football Club about this. Cllr Bush has spoken to the Football Club and confirmed that they have their own catering arrangements on Saturday mornings and did not feel that this offer fitted well with that. The applicant has been advised accordingly and the Council has noted that the Football Club have been asked to make their Saturday morning catering offering more publicly available. At the April 2023 Full Council meeting Cllr Bush asked for this matter to be DEFERRED for a month.
  6. Minute 27, 22nd Feb 2023 – consideration of site for bench as the Lytchett Astro / site visit and photos. This matter was subsequently reported back at the March F&GP Cttee meeting and a location for one bench agreed and at the March Full Council meeting it was noted that Cllr Huggins had obtained a quote for the required bench. This was subject of a proposal to F&GP Cttee and a resultant recommendation to the April Full Council meeting (item 7.1, 26 Apr 2023, 1st bullet point).
  7. Minute 17, 22 March 2023 – Coronation event, contractor to mow the rec field a few days before the event. This has been arranged by the Parish Clerk with Idverde – and was then double checked on 24th April 2023 with them to confirm.
  8. Minutes 3, 4 and 5, Extraordinary Full Council meeting, 12th April 2023 – Opening of Lloyds bank account. The progression of Lloyds Bank account opening is subject to acceptance (and signature) of the minutes of the Extraordinary Council meeting at Full Council meeting on 26th April 2023. The Lloyds application process requires submission of evidence of the declaration, plus a signed copy of the minutes. This final part of the sub mission will be posted to Lloyds on Thursday 27th April.
  9. Minute 6, Extraordinary Full Council meeting, 12th April 2023 – Online application to open bank account with The Charity Bank. This will be progressed by the Parish Clerk in the next week or so as time and workload capacity permit.
  10. Minute 18, 22 March 2023 – mandate for inactive Santander accounts. The matter of resolving with Santander Bank the out of date mandate for the two Santander accounts will involve the Clerk calling the bank discuss the matter, fill in whatever forms they need, and collect signatures, and any other supporting evidence they require. This will be progressed as soon as time allows.

5. Chair’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The Council Chair reported that Cllr Barry Lister had resigned from the Council in order to volunteer his time to Armed Services charities. The Chair thanked Barry for his efforts on behalf of the Council. The Parish Clerk has notified Dorset Council Electoral Services who have put in train stage 1 of the process of advertising the resultant vacancy.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting on 12th April 2023 (for purposes of report only)

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

7. To consider the following recommendations from the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting of 12th April 2023: –

7.1 To approve a proposal for purchase of 2 of our standard black recycled plastic benches @ £550 each, + £98 delivery i.e. a total of 1198.00 (excl VAT). One is to be located at the Astro and one to be located on the Rec field by the half way line. [Note: LM Football Club have agreed to pay for one bench and half of the delivery = £599 and they will arrange installation.]


7.2 To approve the quote from Dorset Waste Services for bins for the Kings Coronation celebration event: Thursday 4 May 2023 – Deliver 4 x 240L general waste bins to Lytchett Matravers Recreation Ground – Car Park, Upper Entrance. Tuesday 9th May 2023 – Empty and remove 4 x 240L general waste bins from Lytchett Matravers Recreation Ground – Car Park, Upper Entrance. Total charge £144.13 (excl VAT).


8. To consider planning application P/HOU/2023/01198 Dullar Farm Dullar Lane Sturminster Marshall BH21 4AB. To replace existing (unsafe) heating oil tank including upgrading foundations and removing and re-positioning wooden surround.


9. To receive a report from the Huntick Road Cycleway Working Group (for purposes of report only)

No formal written report. It was confirmed that Cllr Morgan had prepared a plan which had been forwarded to Dorset Council. DC had responded by sending a booklet / guidelines dealing with DC’s general principles of cycleway design etc – including a reiteration of the standard 3m width for 2 way traffic. It was noted by members that this information is guidance rather than legislation and they pointed out that in the circumstances of use alongside Huntick Rd (i.e. largely “tidal flows” in each direction) 2m width would be more than adequate. It was also noted that, as a comparison, the standard for bridleways is only 2m. Consequently Dorset Cllr Brenton suggested applying to make the proposed path a bridleway instead, since cycles are permitted on them. The WG will prepare a recommendation in its next report.

10. To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

Cllr Morgan explained that this included only minor changes to the previous report. The possibility of setting up an informal meeting with the primary school was discussed, and ideally to establish a Council member as a liaison with the school. This was agreed and Cllr Attridge will coordinate with the school.

It was felt that it was time to re-approach Tescos about the matter of the area in front of the local shop at Purbeck Parade. It was noted that the Council has a design for this area which has the support of DC Highways dept. It was agreed that Cllrs Bush, Morgan and Huggins would liaise to work up a suitable letter to Tesco’s headquarters / CEO.

Cllr Bush suggested that some of the initiatives currently covered by this Working Group are segmented into a new “Highways” working group. It was hoped that this would encourage more members of the public to get involved in these topics. It was generally AGREED to re-focus the activity in this way.

11. Receive a report from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group (for purposes of report only).

No formal written report because this Working Group had not met in the past month. However in relation to the intended greater protection for Green Belt indicated in the Levelling Up Bill it was reported that a letter is being put together to go to the Examiners of the PLP.

12. To receive a report from the Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall Working Group (for purposes of report only.

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes. It was noted that the order for the replacement windows had been placed.

13. To receive a progress report on planning of activity towards the local celebration to mark the Coronation, together with a supporting budget proposal for Council decision.

Arrangements for the site preparation, entertainment, catering, publicity (including a decision to order and display banners), risk assessment / safety management, first aid, toilets / welfare, waste disposal and site clear-up / close down were all reviewed and confirmed. Volunteers from amongst Council members were sought and confirmed.

14. To consider a request from a local resident for parking restrictions to be introduced on Deans Drove (emailed to all members at 16:56 on 12th April 2023)

Members referred to this correspondence which was received via DC Parking Officer Marion Fisher. After some discussion the Council’s previous position on the matter was re-iterated – that it would be prudent to see and consider the full impact of the introduction of the planned Wareham Rd School crossing before considering the matter of any parking restrictions on Deans Drove – or indeed on any adjacent roads. This is because it is expected that the crossing will affect the wider dynamic. This stance is consistent with the advice from DC Officer Andrew Bradley. Action: Parish Clerk to reply to Marion Fisher accordingly.

15. To consider a proposal for stage 1 of the construction work on the Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall refurbishment project.

It was noted that the details of this proposal are set out in the report associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes, and that 3 quotes had been obtained. It was explained that the work has been minimised – i.e. upgrading plumbing, electrics and installing floor insulation, but keeping the loft and stud wall in place. A new porch is to be added at the rear / fire exit.

After some discussion it was RESOLVED to go ahead as proposed in the statement of works – which would now be discussed in detail with Fairway.

16. To consider a proposal to provide a mobile phone for the use of the Parish Clerk on Council business in support of remote working.

After some discussion it was RESOLVED to approve this, in order to better support remote working by the Parish Clerk.

17. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
British Telecom Office phone and broadband – Mar 2023 49.60 9.92 59.52
Homestyle Glazing Ltd 50% deposit payment for LM Youth Hall window replacements 4075.00 815.00 4890.00
SSE Car park lighting Q4 2022 / 23 16.32 0.80 17.12
Get up and bounce Initial payment for inflatables for coronation event 7th May – Inv 8665 145.00 0.00 145.00
HSBC Bank Bank charges to 31 Mar 2023 5.00 0.00 5.00
Octopus Energy Pavilion energy charges 1 Mar 23 -31 Mar 2023 Inv KI-3D2D83BF-0031 52.45 2.62 55.07

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

18. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – Apr 2023. 1139.00 0.00 1139.00
HMRC PAYE & ENI – Apr 2023. 388.55 0.00 388.55
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Apr 2023 420.13 0.00 420.13
T Homer Handyman duties, Mar 2023 268.25 0.00 268.25
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance Apr 2023 Inv no 10879723 350.60 70.12 420.72
Lytchett Matravers Village Hall Electricity use in Parish Office 27/03/22-21/03/23 313.06 0.00 313.06
DAPTC Annual subscription plus email (.gov.uk) fasthost mailbox storage 989.43 0.00 989.43
Dorset Council Land rental –Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall 15.00 0.00 15.00
Dorset Council SID service fee (annual) 750.00 150.00 900.00
AEC (South West) Electrical Ltd Works at LM Sports Pavilion inv 10256 1135.00 227.00 1362.00
BCP Council Supply and fit buffalo boards at Astro goal ends 1200.00 240.00 1440.00
B Barker Reimbursement of expenditure incurred on behalf of Council – fee for one month subscription to Survey Monkey – LM Youth Hall survey 40.83 8.17 49.00
A Bush Reimbursement of expenditure incurred on behalf of Council – grass seed, topsoil, compost, plants…for War memorial site and Huntick Rd verge. 232.44 35.76 268.20
T Watton Reimbursement of expenditure incurred on behalf of Council – stationery, office supplies and postage 33.80 5.24 39.04
Get up and Bounce Balance of hire payment for inflatables for coronation event 350.00 0.00 350.00
Aerial Tree Services Removal of dangerous tree at Willow Walk 550.00 0.00 550.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

19. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).


20. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).


21. To note correspondence received (for purposes of report only).

The Parish Clerk reported on an email he had received from a recently bereaved local resident who has been visiting the cemetery quite frequently and had noticed an area of brambles and low branches obscuring graves adjacent to a portion of the boundary of the closed cemetery. The resident wondered if it would be possible to arrange for the area to be tidied up. Cllr Bush indicated that this is something the Guerrilla Gardeners may be able to take on.

The meeting closed at 21:20

Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Report by Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton – April 2023

Heath fire prevention?

Litter Free Dorset is working with Southern Co-op and W&S Recycling to dismantle and recycle 8,000 disposable barbecues – as a reminder of how over seven tonnes, of disposable barbecues were taken off the shelves following the devastating heathland fires of 2022 and campaigns from Litter Free Dorset (LFD) and the Urban Heaths Partnership.

The event is being held on Thursday 20th April at the W&S Material Recycling Facility in Poole. The barbecues will be dismantled by volunteers and the component parts will be dismantled by volunteers and recycled by W&S, the recycling contractor for Dorset and Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Councils.

The plastic sleeves, paper liners, and cardboard outer trays will be processed with household recycling; the metal grill sheet and foil trays will go to W&S’ scrap metal site, and the six tonnes of charcoal Briquettes are being donated to Swanage Railway for use on the Swanage Steam Train. Sadly I cannot get to the event myself.

Dorset foster carers get above inflation uplift in financial payments

Our foster carers and supported lodgings carers now benefit from an increase to their financial payment of 15 per cent from 1 April with a further increase of 12.43 per cent being added to the allowance part of the payment.
Foster carers play a vital role in Dorset by providing care for children who find themselves in need of a home, through no fault of their own. The uplift in payments will help foster families cover the increasing costs of caring for a child in their home.

Walk and ride schemes.

Sustainable travel work completed to date along Wimborne Road West and East in Ferndown runs from Trickett’s Cross Roundabout to West Moors Road and from Cobham Road to Canford Bottom Roundabout. This includes the recent, largely complete, work at the Wimborne Road East / Cobham Road junction, at the entrance to Ferndown Industrial Estate.

Sustainable Fashion event

Following the very popular Swishing event at St Dunstans I thought you might be interested in Rethink fashion organisation 22nd to 29th April 2023, Dorchester’s first sustainable fashion week!

Events include, sewing workshops, on mending, converting and adapting clothes shoes, bridal wear, bags to prolong their usefulness.

Programme link –

Head to ReThinkFashionDorchester to book events. There are lots of useful activities but all based in Dorchester, sadly.

But there is Wardrobe Foundation!Wardrobe Foundation which is based in Cranborne which collects good pre-loved clothes and distributes to women in clothing need, especially older women in carehomes or unable to go shopping .

Strategic Planning issues. The Portland Incinerator application was refused by the Strategic Planning Committee at the beginning of the month. Despite a very convincing argument for the incinerator providing electricity for local businesses and shore power for visiting ships and the hope that it would increase visits from Cruise ships and provide some much needed jobs to a deprived area. The committee were aware of 80 HGV movements a day on limited road structure , the possible microparticles which would be released and damage the lungs and hearts of residents in an already health deprivation area and the obvious change to the skyline of the Heritage coast.

The Great Big Dorset Beach Clean

The 33rd annual Great Dorset Beach Clean will take place between 15th and 23rd April this year. Organised by Litter Free Dorset (LFD), 16 organisations have already signed up to host a beach clean event. If you want to join any of the beach cleans, they will be happening all the way from Lyme Regis to Christchurch. More information about each beach clean can be found on the LFD website via the event calendar.

Oil spill in Poole Harbour

Regular updates have been received and the harbour is now apparently safe to swim or do water sports but the shell fish industry has been damaged and will take time to return to normal.

Portland Harbour Barge

The barge, to house single male refugees is a national idea and Dorset can comment but has no power as such to refuse. If it goes ahead which seems probably it is expected to be in place for at least 18 months. More updates are expected this week.

Fly tipping

Finally a Fly tipper was caught by an enforcement officer and still tried to lie his way out of it. He was tried after he did not pay the first £400 fine and was given 15 months community service and a £5000 fine. He was working as a Landscaper and removing rubbish (and charging ) but had no waste carriers licence or intention of taking rubbish to official tip. Be Very Aware when hiring ‘landscapers’. He was from Salisbury but working near Dorchester.


Village Environment Working Group – Summary Report. April 2023

Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Vicky Abbot, Hannah Khanna


1. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking – Anticipating imminent DC progress re crossing – New Car Pk?

2. High St Crossing – Possible build out+table funded by PC. Budget Estimate – Suggest allow £40k

3. Tesco frontage – Acceptable design agreed with DC. Suggest joint Tesco/DC/PC funding. Budget Estimate – Suggest allow £45k.

4. School Walk – Extend path across school field? Negative response from School.

5. Hannams Close entrance enhancement. Bench in position. Discuss with management company.

6. Sports/Scout Bldgs High St frontage. Design to be agreed.

7. Pond –J.K now eliminated.

8. Boules/Petanque Pitches – Layout/positions agreed.

9. 20mph – new DC policy opportunity.

10. Drop Kerb crossings. Budget price per pair advised £2,506.00 + VAT

11. Finger post Renovations – Progress on Upper X with discounted parts available. Assemble volunteer team for training + seek sponsorship.

12. Dog Area – additional planting being added as and when available.

13. Jubilee Walk – restriction required at Huntick Road end?


· Dorset Council Highways + Planning/Local Plan. School cooperation. Funds.

Status/Next Steps:

· Develop design for Sports Pav/Scout Hut/PC stores.

· Boules/Petanque Pitches + Pond + Hannams Gate – Develop designs and invite tenders.

· Refine budget and work up proposal for High St crossing (as part of 20mph proposal?)

· Refine budget and re-approach Tesco/Highways to fund/activate shop frontage remodelling.

· Work up Hannams Gate design and obtain tenders.

· Develop and submit 20mph bid to DC

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date Benches, gym, dogs, path, seat 35
Forecast (based on Precept debate costings with adjustments) High St, Sch Path, Boules, TT tables, Tesco(?), SpPav gap, 20mph, Keb…………………………………250 Astro C Pk 285
Total 35 250 285


LM Youth Hall Working Group – Summary Report. April 2023

Working Group Objective:

To review the status & condition of the Youth Hall and set out new business plan for use.

Working Group Participants:

Beverly Barker, Ken Morgan, Chris Wilson, Alf Bush


The PC are the owners of the Youth Hall; land is leased from DC until December 19, 2056. The PC has been in discussion with DC re: the transfer of the land to the PC. This was approved by DCC on December 6, 2017. The Lighthouse Church relinquished their tenancy on June 30, 2022.


The PC intends to use the building primarily for youth purposes, but will be renovated to be a multi-purpose public community space.

Stage 1 – Getting the building back into use with a solid business plan.

Stage 2 – Renovating the building to full CCE standards.

Status / Next Steps:

Stage 1 Recommendation:

We have obtained quotations from 3 contractors. The contract has also been posted on Contract Finder, but only received general enquiries. The quotations varied in the level of detail supplied, but have been compared on a like-for-like basis as much as possible.

O’Sullivans 29,000 Doesn’t include flooring insulation.
Fairway 35,190 Included flooring
D&G Morgan 54,333 Most detailed quote, included flooring


Proceed to next stage with Fairway.

· Following review of the asbestos report, changes will be kept to a minimum to avoid issues.

· Stage 1 will include new WC block, office, re-worked kitchen area, storage room within rear area, new plumbing and hot water heaters, revised electrics, ‘project’ sink in rear area.

· Stage 1 will minimise any work within both loft areas as well as minimising any change in the supporting stud walls. No loft insulation will be included at this stage, no removal of old fan unit.

· Note that replacement doors and windows have already been approved.

· Ensure contractor/insurance coverage of design risks as approved on March 22, 2023.

Note; should the Fairway quotation result in material changes and/or if the timetable is extended, the other quotations will then be reviewed again.

Financial forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT) 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date 2 0 0
Forecast 0 50 80
Total 2 50 80

PC to investigate grant assistance for all stage 1 and stage 2 tasks

Note that project expenditure of £25k+ requires the PC to advertise the spec nationally (Contract Finder)

Stage 1 – work required to set out the building for safe secure public use:

  • Insulate floor (rises by 43mm)
  • Revamp WCs and include disabled WC & plumbing
  • Revamp kitchen/office space & plumbing, fully fitted kitchen, retain supporting stud wall.
  • Minimise work in both front and rear loft spaces
  • Install rear storage area in rear room
  • Install project sink and plumbing to rear room
  • Install new external doors (front and emergency exit at rear with extended porch)
  • Install new internal door to rear room – disabled width
  • Install new windows throughout
  • Replace all lights with LEDs
  • Repair driveway flooding, etc.

Stage 2 – work required to fully renovate the building in line with Climate Emergency guidelines:

  • Replace roof with full insulation and new ceiling throughout
  • Install exterior cladding with insulation
  • Install ASHP and solar panels as per Sports Pavilion
  • Replace all electric heaters with modern equivalents
  • New smooth pathway to building

Full Minutes 230426v2.docx

Full Council minutes 26th April 2023