Meeting of Full Council, Weds 22nd March 2023 at 7.00 p.m. in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall.

PRESENT were A Bush (Council Chair), M Attridge, B Barker, A Huggins (Council Vice-Chair), H Khanna, K Morgan, P Webb and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk / RFO).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton, and A Starr, two members of the public, and a representative from Wessex Internet.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

Christine O’Grady of Wessex Internet spoke briefly to outline the initiative by that company to bring full fibre broadband internet to all areas of the village. The main purpose was to promote awareness of the public meeting that the company have arranged to be held in the Village Hall on Wednesday the 29th March 2023 between 6:30 and 8.00 PM. Ms O’Grady requested the help and support of the Parish Council to promote further awareness of this event.

Two residents of the Eldons Drove spoke to draw attention to concerns that they have raised with the Local Planning Authority and its Enforcement Officer concerning the installation, contrary to approved plans, of an air source heat pump on the gable of a recently developed adjacent property. Specifically, it is contrary to condition 2 of the planning approval. The unauthorised location of the heat pump close to their property is creating noise and inconvenience to them. They point out that this installation was not on the original (approved) plans for the development, does not meet the various industry standards and guidelines, nor is it compliant with the requirements of the NPPF with regard to such equipment. The residents concerned have registered their concerns with the Environmental Health Department because they feel it may be regarded as a statutory noise nuisance. However they wondered whether the Parish Council may also be able to lend their support to help resolve this matter.

In response, the Council Chair confirmed that the Parish Council would look at the matter. In the meantime he thanked the residents for their attendance and asked them to keep the Council informed of any communication or responses they receive to their submitted complaint.


Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton produced a report which had been made available to members ahead of the meeting. Members noted its content, and a copy is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

There were no questions.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Cllrs V Abbott, R Aspray, K Korenevsky and B Lister

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.


3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 22nmd February2023.

It was RESOLVED to approve the minutes as a true record of the meeting. They were duly signed by the Council Chair.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters on the minutes of the Full Council meetings (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 7.3, Full Council 27th April 2022 – replacement of the elderly rectangular bin adjacent to the upper car park located approx. halfway between the Sports Pavilion and the Village Hall. This bin has now been installed. DISCHARGED
  2. Minute 17, Full Council 10th Aug 2022 – dog exercise area. Actions:

Removal of the bramble roots and re-seeding with grass. It was noted that the work will now be carried out in the spring. DEFERRED.

  1. Minute 7 ii, Full Council 23rd November 2022 – order for litter bin to replace damaged dog bin in Dog Exercise area. This bin has now been installed. DISCHARGED.

Action: Parish Clerk to write to Dorset Waste Services to advise them of the two replacement bins.

  1. Minute 14, 25 Jan 2023 – phone line in Parish Office. A fault on the call diversion facility from the Parish Office to the Parish Clerk’s mobile number has now been rectified by BT, and has been tested locally to confirm that it is working properly. DISCHARGED
  2. Minute 14, 22nd Feb 2023 – Parish Clerk to approach the Army Cadets for reimbursement for the cost of the work. This request was forwarded to the Army Cadets maintenance contact who has passed it on to his headquarters. A progress chaser was sent on 21st March 2023.
  3. Minute 16, 22nd Feb 2023 – Parish Clerk to communicate with the Dorset Council team responsible for road naming to notify them of the local decision to put forward Mr Edward Tong’s name for consideration of a future road name in Lytchett Matravers. This was forwarded accordingly and has been acknowledged by DC. DISCHARGED
  4. Minute 18, 22nd Feb 2023 – Parish Clerk to write to the Village Hall Management Committee with request for the replacement of the windows and frames in the Parish Council office. The Parish Clerk wrote to the Village Hall Management Committee accordingly. A response has been received via Cllr Attridge which asks about the possibility of using the same contactor as appointed for the Youth Hall work. This possibility is being raised with the YH appointed contractor.
  5. Minute 20.1, 22nd Feb 2023 – communication of outcome of grant request and the confirmation of Council responsibility for churchyard maintenance including the boundary wall. The Parish Clerk has written to the PCC accordingly; and also suggested that they may wish to seek additional quotes from providers approved by the diocese. A response has been received from Rev Partridge thanking the Council for this and confirming that they will seek the additional quotes. In the meantime a draft “Churchyard Maintenance policy” has been prepared for council consideration.
  6. Minute 20.2, 22nd Feb 2023 – communication of outcome of consideration of grant request form LM Scouts. The Parish Clerk has written to the Scouts accordingly – i.e. approval in principle of a grant award of 10% of the total project cost – up to a maximum contribution of £5K and subject to receipt and Council prior approval of a detailed design proposal for the modifications. This has been acknowledged on behalf of the Scouts, with thanks to the Parish Council.
  7. Minute 23, 22nd Feb 2023 – revised proposal for signatories to the Councils Santander bank accounts. The Parish Clerk wrote to all members, and four responded to volunteer to act as signatories to these accounts. A revised proposal has therefore been prepared for consideration at the March 2023 Full Council meeting (see minute 18 below).
  8. Minute 25, 22nd Feb 2023 – offer from a mobile catering company to operate from the High St Car Park on Saturday mornings / Cllr Bush to speak to the Football Club about this. Cllr Bush has spoken to the Football Club and confirmed that they have their own catering arrangements on Saturday mornings and did not feel that this offer fitted well with that. The applicant has been advised accordingly. It was noted that the Football Club have been asked to make their Saturday morning catering offering more publicly available.
  9. Minute 27, 22nd Feb 2023 – consideration of site for bench as the Lytchett Astro / site visit and photos. This matter was subsequently reported back at the March F&GP Cttee meeting and a location for one bench agreed. It was noted that Cllr Huggins now has a quote for the required bench, which he will propose as an agenda item at the next meeting.

5. Chair’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

There were none.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting on 8th March 2022 (for purposes of report only)

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

7. To consider the following recommendations from the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting of 8th March 2023: –

7.1 Approval and adoption of the Council’s reviewed and updated Standing Orders as detailed in minute 11 and appendix 2 of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting of 8th March 2023. RESOLVED

7.2 Approval and adoption of the Council’s reviewed and updated Financial Regulations as detailed in minute 12 and appendix 3 of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting of 8th March 2023. RESOLVED

7.3 Approval of a recommendation that the Council becomes a “Parish Council corporate” member of the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management www.iccm-uk.com for an annual fee of £95, as detailed in minute 16 of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting of 8th March 2023. RESOLVED

8. To consider planning application P/FUL/2023/00936 Plough Point Farm Dolmans Hill Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6HP. Siting of a mobile home on the land for residential use by an agricultural worker in order to run the existing agricultural enterprise.

The Parish Council wished to submit an OBJECTION to this proposal on the grounds that a business case for the agricultural enterprise associated with this proposal is not viable on the evidence presented. More specifically, the Parish Council noted that the site and its agricultural holding is outside of the Settlement Boundary and within the Green Belt. The agricultural holding is very small at only 2.8Ha, and thus too small to justify a full time on site presence and is likely to be too small to be viable as a stand-alone agricultural enterprise sufficient to support a farmer without other sources of income.

9. To consider planning application P/HOU/2023/01186 2 Hannams Close Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DN. Loft Conversion with side access from first floor.


10. To consider planning application P/CLP/2023/01334 (certificate of lawfulness) 2 Hannams Close Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DN. Loft Conversion with internal alterations.


11. To further consider planning application (amended plans and/or additional information) P/FUL/2022/05152 15 Dillons Gardens Lytchett Matravers Dorset BH16 6DW. Demolish existing dwelling and erect 6no 4-bedroom detached houses with associated parking. NB previous responses made on April 2022 (P/FUL/2022/00691) and Sept 2022 (P/FUL/2022/05152).

The members present recognised that the additional information put forward does not address the Council’s previously stated grounds for objection and therefore wishes to continue to support that previous OBJECTION to this proposal.

In addition, the Parish Council wished to comment that if the proposals were to be approved by the Local Planning Authority the Parish Council would, in line with the declarations by the Dorset Council and Lytchett Matravers Parish Council of a Climate Emergency, expect the development proposals to indicate the anticipated net carbon contribution – and to include emphasis on use of high efficiency insulation, the installation of heat pumps, and electric vehicle charging points, etc. The Parish Council would also expect separate drainage systems for foul and surface water and that any hard standing areas be permeable.

12. To receive a report from the Huntick Road Cycleway Working Group (for purposes of report only)

No formal written report. However it was noted that Cllr Morgan had prepared a new drawing to show the stage two of the cycleway from Rozalia Meadow to Jubilee walk. A copy of this is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes. The next step is to forward this to Dorset Council Highways. Cllr Huggins indicated the that he would prepare an “approval of concept” note to DC Highwaysand forward it to the Parish Clerk to submit on the Council’s behalf.

13. To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes.

Cllr Morgan explained that this included only minor changes to the previous report.

Cllr Huggins remarked that there was a need to add to the list of initiatives an action to consider some form of width restriction at each end of Jubilee Walk as referred to in minute 18 of the Finance and General Purposes Committee meeting of 8 March 2023.

14. Receive a report from the Neighbourhood Plan 2 Working Group (for purposes of report only).

No formal written report. However it was noted that approx. 8 members of this Working Group had met on Tuesday 21st March 2023.

15. To receive a report from the Lytchett Matravers Youth Hall Working Group (for purposes of report only.

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes.

The Council Chair commented on the following:

  • A contractor has been selected from the three submitted quotes for replacement windows.
  • It is intended that the contractor will replace the windows but not the doors initially. This is due to the need for some possible adjustments to floor levels which will affect the new door installations.
  • The requested quotes for builders for the phase one works have been received. Cllrs Bush and Morgan are going through these and responding with some questions for the builders.
  • The phase one works are not structural. The associated “risks” are set out in the document to be considered under item 16 at this meeting.

Cllr Barker reported on the following:

  • Cllr Barker is undertaking work with an interested community group on the possible Youth Club structure and range of activities.
  • Currently two community members, as well as Cllr Barker, are training as youth workers – as well as working towards obtaining the necessary safeguarding qualifications.
  • A school competition is being held to design a mural for the back wall of the building.
  • The public survey is continuing with 50 responses so far.
  • A further meeting of interested parties is to be held on the evening of 23rd March commencing at 7.00 PM in The Chequers public house.

Cllr Morgan remarked that it has become clear that teaching of cooking skills is a common and popular activity for youth and other community groups, and therefore it may be necessary to revise the planned kitchen area of the building to be more substantially equipped in order to meet this anticipated demand.

16. To receive and consider a report and proposal concerning the risks associated with youth hall refurbishment, stage 1.

The Council Chair referred to a risk document which had been made available to all Council members ahead of this meeting. A copy of the document is associated at Appendix 5 to these minutes. It was AGREED to accept the recommendations as follows:

  • The PC absorbs risk nos. 1, 4 and 5.
  • Include specific Terms and Conditions in contracts to cover risk nos. 2 and 3.

17. To receive a progress report on planning of activity towards the local celebration to mark the Coronation, together with a supporting budget proposal for Council decision.

The following points were included in a progress report which had been made available to all members ahead of the meeting:..

Sunday 7th May, 20-23 : Big Coronation Picnic to be held on the Rec between 2 & 7pm

Venue: The Recreation Ground

Timing: General gathering between 2-7pm


· The Rose & Crown to provide a bar in Sports Pavilion. Would like access the evening before if possible

· Robert Ferret’s Mister Softee ice-creams will pop by 5:00pm

· Stall holders/SMLM volunteers requested to provide tea, coffee and/or coronation sandwiches/cakes if anyone wants to. Could be an opportunity for an entrepreneurial trader.

Accommodation & infrastructure:

· Both the Village Hall & Sports Pavilion booked for use of the facilities during the day

· The Charitable Emporium (Hawkeye Houlihan/Wonky Donk Festival) will provide fixed/covered 6m x 6m stage with full PA system, backline, 32 channel mixing desk with qualified engineer.

· The Charitable Emporium to provide 17m Star Tent for shelter & shade

· Cllr Webb has organised £100 bales to be delivered


· Chris Manning will provide a variety of music from 2-7pm.

· Chris Manning Swing band – 5-7pm

· Frayed Strings Ukulele: time to be confirmed 3pm

· LM Primary School KS2 Choir: TBC

· MooMusic Kings party – 2x30mins

· Manor school band – ?45mins

· Small train trips for toddlers

Insurance: Parish Clerk to coordinate with insurers

Promotional materials available on Dropbox for everyone to share – check for latest copies

It was noted that the original allocated budget had been £3.5K. However it was noted that the Council had subsequently agreed the following planned activities:…

In the light of the above, and allowing for a contingency, it was proposed to set the revised budget of up to £6K expenditure. This was AGREED by a majority of 6 for and 1 against.

It was noted that the following matters are still to be addressed…

Plan for preparation and tidy-away and other safety measures:

  • Mowing the Rec before event – Action: Parish Clerk to arrange contractor to undertake this.
  • Litter/recycling areas to be established. DC collection of rubbish to be organised.
  • First aid Rm in Sports Pavilion [Cllr Bush agreed to speak to his contact who undertook this role for the Jubilee celebration in 2022]
  • Police Dorset to be notified
  • Additional Litter bins/recycling stations to be requested from DC. It was noted that only 4 bins will need to be supplied by Dorset Waste Services. Cllr Huggins indicated that he would arrange for these to be supplied.
  • Volunteers/plan for decoration: bunting & other site decoration, etc.
  • Need to cone off area in lower Car Park for ice-cream van/emergencies.
  • Additional music options:

Cllr Korenevsky to liaise with Primary school offering 15-30minute slots from 4-6pm.

Musicians from Minster school also to be informed

  • Deposit for bouncy castle & electricity
  • Establish location for bouncy castle inflatables.
  • Rev Stephen Partridge to clarify / confirm insurance cover for operation of model train.

18. To consider for approval the following signatory changes on the bank mandate for the Council’s previously inactive Santander accounts i.e. Remove Maureen Munford and Julie Dyball; add Vicky Abbott, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Ken Morgan and Tim Watton.

The Council Chair explained that since setting this agenda item it had been realised that the Council has only one of the current signatories to the Santander bank accounts still in post, and it has been discovered that this is likely to result in a protracted process to rectify. Cllr Webb expressed some concerns about this and suggested seeking to open an alternative account instead. Consequently, and recognising in the connection with item 26 below, it was suggested that whilst it is necessary to liaise with Santander to resolve the issue of valid signatories, the Council seeks an alternative banking solution to meet its immediate needs to deposit £85K and thereby reduce its other holdings below the maximum £85K covered by the deposit guarantee scheme. This is in line with the Council’s current policy.

After some discussion the members present AGREED by a majority of 5 / 2 to seek to open a new bank account as soon as possible.

The Council Chair went on to explain that whilst researching banking options which resulted in the opening of the Unity Trust Bank account in 2021, the Parish Clerk / RFO had noted that many parish and town councils have found that Lloyds Bank have a range of accounts which meet their needs and operational constraints. He had therefore investigated Lloyds’ present bank account offerings and had suggested that the Council consider opening an LB Business Instant Access Saver Account, with the above named current members as the signatories to it. Other possible accounts to investigate were also suggested by Cllr Barker (Charity Bank, Triodos and CAF).

19. To consider a proposal for the Council to upgrade to a paid annual account with Survey Monkey at £264 per year.


20. To receive and note the meetings schedule for 2023/24.

This was APPROVED. A copy of the schedule is associated at Appendix 6 to these minutes.

21. To consider a planting programme and supporting budget proposal for areas proposed to be worked on by the Guerrilla Gardeners.

The Council Chair referred to an activity report and plan which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting. A copy is associated at Appendix 7 to these minutes. The members noted the details of items already achieved or approved within this report, and they APPROVED the following requested additional items:

  • Huntick Road hedge – £500: Plan to plant mixed hedge along Huntick Road from layby opposite R&C to the new development at Rozalia Meadow to dissuade parking on the verge.
  • Eldons Drove hedge – £150: Plan to plant mixed hedge along Eldons Drove from car park to new house to dissuade parking on the verge.
  • War Memorial – £200: Evergreen climber planting at the rear to cover the wall which has subsided here and there; requires mounted trellis as well.

22. To receive and consider for Council adoption a draft policy for a maintenance of the closed churchyard at St Marys Church, Lytchett Matravers.

The Council Chair referred to the draft policy document which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting. This was APPROVED, subject to the addition of the maintenance of trees at paragraph 4.2. A copy of the approved final version of the policy is associated at Appendix 8 to these minutes.

23. To consider the date, timing, and format for the Annual Parish Meeting 2023.

It was suggested, and agreed by all present, that this should take the format of an opportunity for informal conversations with residents by setting up a gazebo between the library and the pharmacy on Saturday, 10th June between 10:00-12:00.

Cllr Bush indicated that he would approach the library for permission to set up the gazebo on their land.

24. Consider a proposal to accept the review of variable Direct Debits carried out by Cllr Huggins as per financial Regulation 6.7

Cllr Huggins explained that he had undertaken this review by obtaining details of the current direct debits and the sums paid under these over the past 12 months to ensure both the level of individual payments and to the trends are within acceptable levels. The Council noted this action and agreed to ACCEPT and APPROVE the outcome of this review.

25. To confirm date for next litter pick.

It was AGREED that this would take place on Sunday, the 16th of April commencing at 2.30 PM.

26. To consider the transfer of £85K of Council funds to its Santander bank account with immediate effect.

This matter was dealt with under minute 18 above.

27. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
British Telecom Office phone and broadband – Feb 2023 49.60 9.92 59.52
HSBC Bank Bank charges to 28 February 2023 5.00 0.00 5.00
Octopus Energy Pavilion energy charges 1 Dec 22 -31 Jan 23 Inv KI-3D2D83BF-0029 195.43 9.77 205.20
Octopus Energy Pavilion energy charges 1 Feb 23 -28 Feb 23 Inv KI-3D2D83BF-0030 44.23 2.21 46.44

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

28. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – Mar 2023. 1138.80 0.00 1138.80
HMRC PAYE & ENI – Mar 2023. 388.75 0.00 388.75
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Mar 2023 420.13 0.00 420.13
T Homer Handyman duties, Feb 2023 258.75 0.00 258.75
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance Mar 2023 Inv no 10876838 330.75 66.15 396.90
Life Education Wessex Grant award 2023 to support their work at Lytchett Matravers Primary School. 700.00 0.00 700.00
Chris Manning Deposit for booking for community celebrations for the King’s coronation 1875.00 0.00 1875.00
J Aspray Refund of duplicate payment of allotment rental fee 2023 33.50 0.00 33.50
J Watson Refund of duplicate payment of allotment rental fee 2023 33.50 0.00 33.50
DAPTC Fee for networking event 09/03/23 75.00 0.00 75.00
Dorset Council Funding for additional library opening hours 2022/23 1562.00 0.00 1562.00
Dorset Council Road closures stickers – Remembrance day Nov 2022 36.72 7.34 44.06
Citizens Advice in East Dorset and Purbeck Fee for weekly advice sessions in LM library 1/4/23 – 31/3/24 5958.00 0.00 5958.00
Aerial Tree Services Ltd Removal of oak branch over LM Youth Hall building 350.00 0.00 350.00

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

29. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Bush reported that he had attended a networking / Dorset Council event on the 9th March 2023 which had been organised by DAPTC.

30. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).


31. To note correspondence received (for purposes of report only).

  • Cllr Morgan reported on correspondence with a resident of Eldons Drove concerning a complaint the resident had raised with the LPA and a Planning Enforcement Officer regarding the installation of an Air Source Heat Pump in an unneighbourly position on an adjacent property in breach of condition 2 of planning application 6/2021/0038 – namely the mounting of an air source heat pump high on the gable facing the neighbouring property. This was not included on the approved plans.
  • Cllr Barker reported on a query about the routine clearance of the litter bins in the village, and of the collection bags of rubbish gathered from them. It was clarified that had Dorset waste services collect these bags each Monday / Tuesday, and visited again on Thursdays or Fridays.
  • Cllr Huggins reported to correspondence he had undertaken with Dorset Council Highways regarding the installation of dropped kerbs utilising DC 2022/23 budget allocations. Mr Mepham (DC Highways) has confirmed that the budget for 2022/23 is now fully spent, and so he suggested re-submission of requests for consideration during the 2023/24 year.
  • Cllr Bush reported on correspondence from Gould Groundworks, proposing a dedicated pathway from the school to securely access the Lytchett Astro to enable children to use the Astro at break times. The correspondence sought the views of the Council on this proposal. The matter has therefore been added to the draft agenda of the Finance and General Purposes Committee meeting scheduled for 12th April 2023.
  • Cllr Bush also referred to correspondence from a resident concerning planting around the fence line of the dog exercise area.

The meeting closed at 21:05

Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Report by Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton – March 2023


The delay in the Dorset Plan is beginning to encourage developers to put in speculative applications for areas where there is no recent plan.

In Fontmell Magna an application is quoting the slow action at Dorset Council to argue that this application should be accepted. The developer says that due to the age of the plan and with no overarching Local Plan being in place for Dorset, which has ‘demonstrated persistent under-delivery’, the scheme should be determined with a ‘presumption in favour of sustainable development’.
“The council cannot currently display a five-year supply of available and deliverable housing sites and thus its policies relating to the delivery and location of housing development are out of date,” he said.

DC Budget 2023/24

Questions were raised about why the decision to take £2million from Dorset Council reserves for a cost of living support fund did not go through the budget process.Although welcoming the extra money for those in need, several opposition councillors claim the normal process had not been followed – with no mention of the fund in the months-long run-up to finalising the budget, depriving councillors of the right to debate the scope and scale of the fund.

The fund will support a range of projects to provide immediate and longer-term support to those residents hardest hit by the cost of living. Projects include:

§ Support for low-income households, disabled people and vulnerable older people with measures to improve the energy efficiency of their homes

§ Off-grid energy discretionary vouchers for households reliant on off-grid energy sources (oil and gas)

§ Additional Discretionary Housing Payment allowance to help prevent residents becoming homeless

§ Supermarket vouchers for residents in greatest need

§ Further support for Dorset’s network of social supermarkets, community fridges and food banks

§ Additional pre-school hours for 3-4 year olds, enabling more parents to work

§ ‘Ready to thrive’ locality programme to support children with their readiness to start school.

Rural Busses.

Matthew Piles, the corporate director for highways and transport, told councillors that changes were needed to ensure rural Dorset services remained viable.

The council has already been forced to pay more for some services after some contractors threatened to pull out of routes, unless their additional fuel and wage costs were met.

Mr Piles told an audit committee meeting that with hundreds of different contracts it was now often the case that the commercial market was more able to dictate its prices, with the council stepping in with its own drivers and vehicles, where it had to.

He said that many services, especially for special education needs transport, had already been reviewed as the authority sought to make savings where it could.

He said supporting public transport over the next 18 months to two years, was his biggest challenge, with many bus services not recovering passenger numbers since Covid.

"Public transport needs to change and we need to look at how we will support our rural areas betterthe biggest risk will be to public routes this year which will be re-tendered.

We know that bus services are declining and rural villages are becoming more isolated and challenging for anyone who cannot afford to run multiple cars.

I have signed a petition from CPRE about saving rural busses and despite my reservations about CPRE and planning, more names means more notice is taken.

Financial Support / cost of living

You may be eligible for a £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP)

The government has given more details on another scheme to help with the cost of living with a £200 Alternative Fuels Payment. You may be eligible for this payment if:

· you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating

· your household is not connected to the mains gas grid

Most homes that are eligible for the Alternative Fuels Payment will get it automatically via their electricity supplier. Those who do not have a direct relationship with an energy supplier will need to apply for the Alternative Fuels Payment (Alternative Funding) scheme by searching “Alternative Fuel Payment Alternative Fund” into the GOV.UK webpage search bar.

For those unable to use the internet to apply or for any enquiries, the government have set up a helpline on 0808 175 3287 open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. Please share with your communities.

Celebrations for the coronation.

Dorset Council is encouraging residents to start planning their own street parties for The Coronation of The King and The Queen Consort.

It will be celebrated across the country and marked with a three-day bank holiday weekend from Saturday 6 May to Monday 8 May with opportunities for people to be part of the historic occasion.

You can find out more about the national celebrations on the royal website.

If you’re planning a street party, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure, and we can help with that, head to our road closure page to find out more.

We are waiving the costs of road closure applications and we welcome residents to apply. You need to apply by 31 March. So far there has been 17 applications for road closures in the Dorset Council area.

The Big Help Out

King Charles III has chosen to use his coronation weekend as an opportunity to highlight volunteering and the important part it plays in our community.

The plan is that on Monday, 8th May, ‘The Big Help Out‘ will give everyone in their community a chance to join in on a national day of volunteering. Everyone across the country is being asked to ‘roll up their sleeves’ and to ‘lend a hand and make a change’.

Would your organisation like to register a volunteering opportunity for Monday, 8th May? Please let us know the details using the form below, and we will add this to our list of volunteering opportunities across Dorset. We are also encouraging more volunteers to register with us so that we can signpost them to these opportunities.

Volunteer Centre Dorset are planning to approach this campaign from three angles:
1. Support ‘The Big Help Out’ on the 8th May and signpost volunteers registered with us to sign up
2. Asking Dorset residents to ‘make a volunteer pledge’ to ‘Help Out Dorset’ within the coming year
3. To highlight volunteering generally and raise the profile of the good work being done

Please register your event or opportunity for The Big Help Out on 8th May using the form below. We will then be in touch to discuss next steps and how we can support and promote this opportunity to residents of Dorset.

The Big Help Out Form


Huntick Rd Cycleway – revised drawing

See associated .pdf file


Village Environment Working Group – Summary Report. March 2023

Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Vicky Abbot, Hannah Khanna, Barry Lister


1. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking – Anticipating imminent DC progress re crossing – New Car Pk?

2. High St Crossing – Possible build out+table funded by PC. Budget Estimate – Suggest allow £40k

3. Tesco frontage – Acceptable design agreed with DC. Suggest joint Tesco/DC/PC funding. Budget Estimate – Suggest allow £45k.

4. School Walk – Extend path across school field? Any response from School?

5. Hannams Close entrance enhancement. Bench in position. Discuss with management company.

6. Sports/Scout Bldgs High St frontage. Design to be agreed.

7. Pond –J.K now eliminated. Beware line of proposed u.g broadband cabling. On site meeting 22.3.23.

8. Boules/Petanque Pitches – Layout/positions agreed.

9. 20mph – new DC policy opportunity.

10. Drop Kerb crossings. Budget price per pair advised £2,506.00 + VAT

11. Finger post Renovations – Progress on Upper X with discounted parts available. Assemble volunteer team for training + seek sponsorship.

12. Dog Area – Woodland Trust 24m length of plants/saplings received and to be planted by GGs 21.3.23


· Dorset Council Highways + Planning/Local Plan. School cooperation. Funds.

Status/Next Steps:

· Develop design for Sports Pav/Scout Hut/PC stores.

· Boules/Petanque Pitches + Pond + Hannams Gate – Develop designs and invite tenders.

· Refine budget and work up proposal for High St crossing (as part of 20mph proposal?)

· Refine budget and re-approach Tesco/Highways to fund/activate shop frontage remodelling.

· Work up Hannams Gate design and obtain tenders.

· Develop and submit 20mph bid to DC

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
Expense to date Benches, gym, dogs, path, seat 35
Forecast Hannams 5 High St, Sch Path, Boules, TT tables, Tesco(?), SpPav gap, 20mph, Kerbs …………………………………250 Astro C Pk 285
Total 40 250 285


LM Youth Hall Working Group – Summary Report. March 2023

Working Group Objective:

To review the status & condition of the Youth Hall and set out new business plan for use.

Working Group Participants:

Beverly Barker, Ken Morgan, Chris Wilson, Alf Bush


The PC are the owners of the Youth Hall; land is leased from DC until December 19, 2056. The PC has been in discussion with DC re: the transfer of the land to the PC. This was approved by DCC on December 6, 2017. The Lighthouse Church relinquished their tenancy on June 30, 2022.


The PC intends to use the building primarily for youth purposes, but will be renovated to be a multi-purpose public community space.

Stage 1 – Getting the building back into use with a solid business plan.

Stage 2 – Renovating the building to full CCE standards.

Status / Next Steps:

Completed Internal clearance completed.

Electrical inspection and rectification complete; Satisfactory certificate issued; Smart meter fitted.

Oak tree crown lifted away from asbestos roof.

Address registered with Royal Mail

Contractor for replacement windows/doors selected.

Immediate next steps Load specification onto Contract Finder

Agree Stage 1 building risks with PC

Finalise building quotes and select contractor (3 quotes received)

Work with youth organisations to set out business plan

Survey LMPS & Senior School pupils re Youth club provision [53 responses received to date] – need to pay & download results.

Grant applications be made to Lord Rockley and Talbot Trust for stage 1 building work. Lottery fund application underway for YC provision.

DC & Lottery Climate grants to be explored for stage 2

Long-term action plan for renovation Determine the approach between stage 1 (get the building into use) and/or stage 2 (full renovation) – see attached
Set out usage plan and fee plan The building is midway in size between the Village Hall and Sports Pavilion, so the hiring cost structure will also be midway.

It is intended that the building have specific areas that will remain in place for users (e.g. play area, sofa area), and storage spaces).

Financial forecast:

Renovation Task Summary


  • Repair/fix all electrical issues – completed 19/12/2022
  • Relocate electrical consumer unit and replace with metal box.
  • Register formal name and address with Royal Mail – completed
  • Liaise with Army cadets (usage, oak tree) – completed
  • Reduce oak tree crown from asbestos roof – competed
  • Confirm Dorset Youth Association membership – completed

Immediate Next Steps:

  • Clear kitchen – evaluate whether white goods are to be retained. Organise disposal of cooker and other items that will be removed.
  • Full internal clean – budgeted for. Wait until after windows have been replaced.
  • Check water leak – meter readings being montiored
  • Fix broken windows – included within window repair quote
  • Clear gutters
  • Repaint all interior walls, etc. – to be done when windows and new interior walls are installed. End wall Mural chosen through LM Manor Art competition
  • Install broadband – Wessex internet to handle installation
  • Establish regular maintenance checks, cleaning rota, etc.
  • Wessex Internet hoping to supply broadband etc for nominal annual rent

PC to investigate grant assistance for all stage 1 and stage 2 tasks

Note that project expenditure of £25k+ requires the PC to advertise the spec nationally.

Stage 1 – work required to set out the building for safe secure public use:

  • Insulate floor (rises by 43mm)
  • Revamp WCs and include disabled WC & plumbing
  • Revamp kitchen/office space & plumbing, fully fitted kitchen
  • New suspended ceiling over WCs and kitchen/office with hatch and ladder to storage space
  • Install new external doors (front and emergency exit at rear)
  • Install new internal door to rear room
  • Install new windows throughout
  • Replace all lights with LEDs
  • Repair driveway flooding, etc.

Stage 2 – work required to fully renovate the building in line with Climate Emergency guidelines:

  • Replace roof with full insulation and new ceiling
  • Install exterior cladding with insulation
  • Install ASHP and solar panels as per Sports Pavilion
  • Replace all electric heaters with modern equivalents
  • New smooth pathway to building

Preliminary usage plan

Typical weekday: 9-12 Moo Music

12-16 Lunch and Natter sessions (warm place)

16-22 Youth activity (2 or 3 night per week)

Army Cadets 19-22 Possible 2 nights per week (Mon & Thurs)

Activity interest


Youth Hall – Stage 1 Risk Report, March 2023

Working Group Objective:

To review design and construction risks for Stage 1. Design & construction work would normally be carried by the contracted architect. Since this is a relatively minor project without major structural change, these risks need to be mitigated as shown below.

Working Group Participants:

Beverly Barker, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush


The major stage 1 work is as follows:

1. Insufficient/inadequate vapour barrier (we are going to install internal cladding over what’s there; the new cladding will have an impermeable barrier but we are taking on the risk that it won’t prove to be inadequate in future; future remedy would be dismantling that section of cladding and investigating).

2. The storage loft ends prove unstable when the ground level stud walls are removed (we are going to ensure the contractor uses support column during construction and takes on this construction risk themselves).

3. Damage to asbestos roof (although no direct work is needed, the roof is adjacent to the storage lofts and damage and or failing support may be an issue; again ensure contractors are specifically informed and asked to proceed with care.

4. PC will submit plan to Building Regs (note that while this is an independent check on design and construction, it is not equivalent to insurance).

5. PC will agree Construction Design & Management Regulations (CDM) package for health and safety on small scale building sites with the contractor.


  • The PC absorbs risk nos. 1, 4 and 5.
  • Include specific Ts&Cs in contracts to cover risk nos. 2 and 3.


Schedule of Council meetings 2023/24


Venue – Village Hall, unless marked *

Finance & General purposes


(normally 2nd Wed in month)


(normally 4th Wed in month)

April 2023 Wednesday 12th Wednesday 26th
May 2023 Wednesday 10th* Wednesday 24th

(Annual Parish Council meeting)

June 2023 Wednesday 14th Wednesday 28th
July 2023 Wednesday 12th Wednesday 26th
August 2023 Wednesday 9th Wednesday 23rd
September 2023 Wednesday 13th Wednesday 27th
October 2023 Wednesday 11th Wednesday 25th*
November 2023 Wednesday 8th Wednesday 22nd
December 2023 Wednesday 13th Wednesday 20th
January 2024 Wednesday 10th Wednesday 24th
February 2024 Wednesday 14th Wednesday 28th
March 2024 Wednesday 13th Wednesday 27th
April 2024 Wednesday 10th Wednesday 24th
May 2024 Wednesday 8th Wednesday 22nd

(Annual Parish Council meeting)

ANNUAL PARISH MEETING * Date, time and venue to be announced.

Members of the public and the press are welcome at the above meetings.

Venues may occasionally be subject to change. Please see the relevant agenda published on the Parish Council website and the noticeboard adjacent to the Library in the High Street.

All meetings start at 7.00 p.m.


Guerrilla Gardeners – Activity Report and plan, March 2023


Woodland Trust Whips

· Planted around dog exercise area perimeter – March 21st.


Village Hall Bunds – £150

· Currently, £150 has been approved for planting to improve the appearance of the bunds on the corner of Vineyard Close and High Street.


Huntick Road hedge – £500

· Plan to plant mixed hedge along Huntick Road from layby opposite R&C to the new development at Rozalia Meadow to dissuade parking on the verge.

Eldons Drove hedge – £150

· Plan to plant mixed hedge along Eldons Drove from car park to new house to dissuade parking on the verge.

War Memorial – £200

· Evergreen climber planting at the rear to cover the wall which has subsided here and there; requires mounted trellis as well.


Policy – Maintenance of closed churchyards

Lytchett Matravers Parish Council

Policy Name: Maintenance of Closed Churchyards

Policy Reference: D/17

Approval Date: March 22, 2023

Review Date: March 22, 2025

1. Overview/Purpose

To set out the policy to comply with requests to maintain closed churchyards.

2. Definitions

2.1 Closed Churchyards

A closed churchyard is one where a formal closure has been made by the Monarch’s Majesty in Council, principally the Secretary of State for the Home Department.

3. Requirements

3.1 The Local Government Act of 1972 sets out the responsibilities of local councils with respect to Cemeteries and Crematoria (clause 214) and Maintenance of a Closed Churchyard (clause 215).

3.2 The Parish Council was served with a written request in August 1996 by the Parochial Church Council of St. Marys Church to take over responsibility of the maintenance of the churchyard. Burials were ordered to be discontinued following the Order of July 23, 1996 (see appendix 1, which includes churchyard map). Responsibility was accepted at the Parish Council meeting of September 16, 1996.

3.3 St. Marys Church has subsequently provided a copy of a similar Order in Council made on June 28th, 1892. Although this was prior to the Local Government Act of 1894 which lead to the creation of the Parish Council, it has been accepted that this is likely to have created a similar maintenance obligation (see appendix 2).

4. Roles & Responsibilities

4.1 The Parish Council will be responsible for the maintenance of the combined closed churchyards as shown in appendix 3.

4.2 Maintenance as defined by the Local Government Act 1972, clause 215 is to keep the churchyard in decent order, paths to be kept clear, trees, grass areas to be cut and its walls and fences to be kept in good repair.

4.3 Maintenance responsibility does not include any obligation for repairs to any buildings within the churchyard and there is no obligation for improvements to the churchyard.

4.4 Memorials and gravestones remain in the ownership of the individuals, families, heirs who had them erected. If they cannot be reasonably traced, the Parish Council will, in conjunction with the Parochial Church Council, take the necessary action to maintain the safety to the public of the churchyard. There is no requirement to restore such memorials or gravestones to their original condition.

5. Related Policies/Procedures

5.1 Local Government Act 1972, section 214 – Defines responsibility of Parish Councils with respect to the provision and maintenance of cemeteries.

5.2 Local Government Act 1972, section 215 – defines responsibility of a local council for closed churchyards where a written request has been received for ongoing maintenance.

5.3 NALC Legal Topic Note 64 para 17 elaborates on this as follows; this is considered to impose an obligation to keep it in a state which does not offend the reasonable church goer. The council do not become the owners of the churchyard nor anything in it. They have no power to make alterations, e.g. to remove memorials or to control what is or is not permitted in the churchyard. The church authorities retain these rights.

5.4 The NALC Legal Topic Note 65 also clarifies that; maintenance responsibility for a closed churchyard does not include responsibility for any church, chapel, or other building (such as a shed) in or adjacent to the churchyard. The responsibility does not include an obligation to undertake improvements to the churchyard. The obligation to maintain memorials is likely to extend to a duty to ensure that they do not topple over.

6. Revision History


7. Appendices

Appendix 1 – 1996 Churchyard Closure Confirmation

Appendix 2 – 1892 Churchyard Closure Confirmation

Appendix 3 – Area of Combined Closed Churchyards

Full Minutes 230322v2.docx
FullMinutes 230322 Appendix 2 (Huntick Cycleway stage 2 sk.plan).pdf

Full Council minutes 22 March 2023