Wednesday 27th January 2021 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), M Attridge, B Barker, A Huggins, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and B Pipe

Three members of the public were present.


Dorset Local Plan

A local resident explained that she had a particular interest in agenda item 14 – the proposal to set up a Dorset Local Plan response group. She wondered how the Council would go about obtaining the views of the local residents. Whilst the Chairman explained that this had been intended to be an internal Council group to consider the Parish Council’s collective response to the consultation exercise, it was hoped to draw the attention of all residents to the opportunity to respond to the consultation as individuals. However the council would also be very pleased to hear the views of residents as part of the council compiling its own response.

In addition, the Parish Clerk drew attention to the series of webinars on each section of the plan. These have been prepared for public access and information – with each webinar dealing with a different section of the draft plan. All of these are being recorded and made available so that they can be accessed online by the public at their convenience.

Cllr Brenton observed that whilst the draft plan is lengthy and quite complex in its structure, residents are at liberty to just respond to the sections of the plan that interest them. It is not necessary to respond to all of it.

Condition of Rocket Park

A resident commented on how muddy underfoot some of the areas of the Rocket Park Play Area had become as a result of the inclement winter weather. She wondered what could be done about it. It was noted that Cllrs Huggins and Morgan had been looking at this and reports and a proposal had been put forward for consideration later in this meeting.


Dorset Cllr Brenton commented on the following matters:

  • Dorset Council is placing considerable attention on ensuring social services and adult services provisions are sustained to their accepted levels despite the effects of the pandemic.
  • There remain concerns about the need to make arrangements to avoid a repeat of the problems which occurred last summer due to the inundation of Dorset beauty spots by day trippers.
  • A number of adverse responses have been received by Dorset Council members about the draft Local Plan
  • Concerns and complaints have been received by Dorset Council members regarding a backlog of Planning Applications awaiting determination.

Dorset Cllr Bill Pipe commented on the progress of the vaccination centre at the port of Poole, which is operating 7 days per week. He also reported on the action of the Upton Together Covid-19 support group which is providing emergency food etc supplies to a Dutch national who is currently self-isolating in a vehicle parked within the Lytchett Matravers Parish whilst he awaits the opportunity to return to The Netherlands. In response to a question, Cllr Pipe clarified that Upton Together had been notified of this person by the Dorset Volunteers co-ordination centre.

Cllr Webb asked whether the Dorset Council budget for 2021/22 was predicated on the receipt of central Government funding to make up shortfalls arising from local response to the pandemic. It was confirmed that it was, and that there was an intention to deliver a balanced budget and that there would be no cuts to statutory services.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllrs R Carswell, M Colvey and A Cottman; and Dorset Cllr A Starr.

2. To consider applicationS for A casual vacancy on the Council and receive the acceptance of office.

An application had been received from Karen Korenevsky. A proposal to appoint Mrs Korenevsky to the Parish Council was CARRIED unanimously. The Parish Clerk forwarded the Acceptance of Office and Declaration of Member’s Interests forms to her for completion and return. Cllr Korenevsky then joined the council for the remainder of the meeting.

3. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

4. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 23rd December 2020.

It was RESOLVED to approve these minutes as a true record of the meeting.

5. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made by members during the meeting.

  1. Minute 6, Full Council meeting 26 Aug 2020 – to obtain cost for welding repair to upper car park gate. Russell Matthews completed this job in early January.
  2. Minute 10, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – Amended planning application 6/2020/0297 enforcement request regarding breaches of planning conditions. As reported in the January F&GP Cttee minutes, the DC Planning Committee approved this application. As part of the DC Planning Committee’s consideration of the application the case officer reported that there was evidence that the coffee shop had been suitably marketed, but that evidence was not available on the DC Planning website. Consequently Cllrs Bush and Morgan undertook to prepare a request for sight of this.The Parish Clerk reported that the letter in question had been prepared and was ready to send.
  3. Minute 13, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – approval for installation of bollards adjacent to the Village Hall. This work has been completed. However, a related discussion regarding the safe storage of the key was raised and it was agreed to arrange for a key safe to be installed in the Parish Office. DISCHARGED.
  4. Minute 18, Full Council meeting 28th October 2020 – letter to Tesco with joint Ts&Cs for Defibrillator. Cllr Huggins has confirmed that a letter has been sent to Tesco Head Office accordingly. A response was received from Tesco HQ on 19th January confirming that they will carry out the regular monthly monitoring. In a meeting with the local store manager on 23rd January it was also confirmed that the local Tesco store will ensure the defib consumables remain up to date and serviceable.
  5. Minute 19, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – details for kerb cleaning trial run. As noted in the minutes of the January meeting of the F&GP Cttee meeting, it was RESOLVED to put this initiative on hold. It was agreed to DISCHARGE this matter from this list and to add the matter of kerb cleaning to the agenda of the F&GP Cttee meeting scheduled to take place in March 2021. Action: Parish Clerk to add this matter to the March F&GP Cttee meeting agenda.
  6. Minute 22, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – preparation of draft application letter for the Parish Council to act as the “Legal Entity” to apply applying to the Rural Gigabit Scheme on behalf of interested residents with internet speeds of <30MB/s. At the December 2020 meeting Cllr Huggins reported that the Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme for the centre of the village had been submitted to Openreach. He had reported that as of December the scheme had 51 properties in scope which it was hoped will be sufficient for the project to be viable, but that if necessary Openreach would normally assist in identifying other properties which might be added for little cost. Once the estimates are finalised and viability is confirmed, the Parish Council will need to assess the business case and confirm that it is willing to act as the “legal entity” and guarantor of the application. Cllr Huggins commented at the January meeting of the Full Council that there was no further update to report.
  7. Minute 15, Full Council meeting 23rd December 2020 – correspondence from a resident concerning the condition of a section of path on the Foxhills Open Space. As agreed at the meeting on 23rd December, the Parish Clerk had spoken to contractor Mr Mills about a short term expedient improvement to this path by laying down a layer of wood chippings. Mr Mills had examined the area and responded to say that in his opinion the degree of waterlogging in the area concerned meant that the volume of chippings required makes this unviable. At the January Full Council meeting Cllr Morgan referred to a paper he had prepared on this matter which had been circulated to all members, a copy of which is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. This report contains suggestions and preliminary costings for improvement to the paths. It was noted that there is a need to budget around £20K to lay a path to replace the section from Gibbs Green to The Spinney via the footbridge, which forms part of the walking route to school. The paper also suggests that the side branches (15m to connect with Willow Walk towards Deans Drove, 30m towards Fosters Spring, and 45m towards the northern part of The Spinney) would ideally be upgraded at the same time for a further £15K. Finally there were two short sections of exisiting gravel path which would benefit from some topping up at an estimated cost of £7.5K. It was noted that this would need to be financed from the Foxhills Open Space maintenance reserve fund.

6. Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

There were none.

7. To note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 13th January 2021 (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to note the contents of these minutes.



The proposal for a precept increase of 5.26%, amounting to £4734 was CARRIED unanimously

8b TO SET UP A VILLAGE ENVIRONMENT WORKING GROUP – to add to active Working Groups and to agree objectives.

This proposal was CARRIED.


A summary report which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes. Cllr Morgan added to this by remarking on the following:

Car park – Parish Clerk has been asked to release 50% of the retention monies on this contract. The other 50% is retained until the crushed gravel has been toped up by a further 20-25mm to eliminate tripping hazards due to settling.

Pond Walk – the soft spots have disappeared. Stone still needed around the bench. The contractor is being chased for this.

Dog exercise area – nothing can be done about the rutting or the spoil heap until the weather significantly improves.

Cllr Bush added comments regarding the Pharmacy Steps. The landowner is now in agreement. The project is awaiting the agreement of the tenant of the pharmacy. Once this is obtained this element of the project can go ahead.


A summary report which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes. Cllr Bush highlighted that the council is awaiting a response to the Salix grant request. The concern is that Salix have said that the work should be completed by the end of March.


Cllr Huggins remarked that there had been no further progress to report since the last meeting. He expressed disappointment at the short sighted response of Dorset Council to the points made in support of this scheme by Dorset Cllr Brenton.

Cllr Webb added to this by pointing out that in the draft Dorset Local Plan there is an anticipation of a 25% increase in housing in the Lytchett Matravers area and, given the lack of local bus services this will result in even more traffic using the road network. Cllr Brenton will continue to press this point with DC. It was suggested that it would be helpful to encourage residents to emphasise this point in their responses to the draft Local Plan consultation.

Cllr Pipe remarked that Martin Chase of Lytchett Minster & Upton TC still wished to meet with LMPC to talk about potential connections between to the two cycleway schemes.

12. to CONSIDER a proposal to adjust the process for manging the allotmeNTS waiting list to give priority to those living in Lytchett Matravers

It was RESOLVED to adjust the process accordingly.

13. Proposal to consider options for the improvement of the surface of the Rocket Park play area

Cllr Huggins reported on his enquiries into the cost and feasibility of laying wet pour (at £100 per square metre) or rubber mulch (at £85 per square metre) over the whole playground area. Based on the cost of the cheaper material this was estimated at a total cost of around £78,500.

Cllr Morgan then referred to a report he had prepared which included a proposal for a solution involving the supply and spreading of a quantity of playground-specification approved wood chip material. He also led a discussion on the logistics of its secure delivery, and on the transportation to and spreading on the playground site using volunteers operating under Covid-safe practices. It was RESOLVED to approve the expenditure of up to £1000 for this option and to go ahead during week commencing 1st Feb, subject to a satisfactory Risk Assessment, and Insurer and Police approvals.


It was recognised that there is a need to compile a combined response to this consultation from the Parish Council. It was therefore RESOLVED to set up such a group. Members were encouraged to look through the plan and understand how it is structured. It was also agreed to set up a Zoom session for both council members and residents who may be interested, in preparation for compiling a draft consultation response to be reviewed at the February Full Council meeting. Cllr Bush indicated that he would set up the structure of this.

Dorset Cllr Pipe explained that his understanding is that the current initial 8 week consultation exercise carried out online due to Covid-19 constraints will be followed in 2022 with a further 12 week exercise which it is hoped will include live roadshows in communities across the county. He explained that the Dorset Local Plan needs to be in place by March 2024, but that DC are aiming for adoption of it by spring 2023. He offered to forward an email containing the relevant dates to the Parish Clerk to circulate to all members.

Cllr Pipe also explained that the Purbeck Local Plan (PLP) will form the “Purbeck” section of the Dorset Local Plan. In response to a question he explained that a meeting is due to take place on the PLP on Friday 29th January. It was however noted that the draft Dorset Local Plan has a further 200 houses compared to what is included in the PLP.

15. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4419 BT Office phone and broadband – Dec 50.47 10.09 60.56
4420 Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 1st-31st December 2020 12.46 0.62 13.08
4421 Woodlands Nurseries Invoice 5912 – Trees for car park 3506.00 701.20 4207.20
4422 Woodlands Nurseries Invoice 7704T – Plants for car park 930.50 186.10 1116.60
4423 SSE Car park lighting quarter 3 2020/21 16.03 0.79 16.82
4424 Water2business Water supply to allotments 03/06/20 – 15/12/20 404.88 0.00 404.88

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

16. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4425 T Watton Clerk’s salary – Jan (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 968.81 0.00 968.81
4426 Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Jan 2020 (includes effect of pay uplift and back pay Apr-Nov 20202) 465.30 0.00 465.30
4427 T Homer Handyman duties Dec 2020 373.50 0.00 373.50
4428 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – Dec 20 303.49 60.69 364.18
4429 Idverde Ltd Grass cutting southern part of recreation ground (invoice GM794017) 48.00 9.60 57.60
4430 RSL Welding and Fabrication Ltd Welding padlock tab on top car park gate. 130.00 26.00 156.00
4431 A Bush Reimbursement of expenses – padlock and chain for silent soldier 16.98
4432 BCP Council Construction of school walk 3997.50 799.50 4797.00
4433 BCP Council Installation of 2 x lockable bollards near village hall 1062.00 212.40 1274.40
4434 Ellis Jones Solicitors Professional fees – drainage easement and land registry fee 840.00 160.00 1000.00
4435 Shaw & Sons Office stationery (receipt books for allotments and burials) 40.39 8.08 48.47
4436 Lytchett Matravers Sports Club Reimbursement of share of Pavilion water bill paid in error to LMPC by the Scouts 86.03 0.00 86.03
4437 Starboard Systems Ltd Scribe Accounts software annual Licence 374.40 74.88 449.28
4438 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance Jan 21 303.49 60.69 364.18
4439 The Sign Shed Ltd Supply of covid lockdown signage for Astro and Skate Park 53.00 10.60 63.60

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

17. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

There was none.

18. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (fpor purposes of report only).

There were none.

19. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Attridge referred to call from a wheelchair using resident of Dillons Gardens who has pointed out that there is no dropped kerb on either side of the road where it joins Wareham Rd. This forms a dangerous obstacle to his mobility. Cllr Pipe suggested that Dorset Council has some funding provision to deal with accessibility problems such as this. Action: Parish Clerk to raise the matter with DC Highways.

20. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 24th February 2021 at 7pm.

The meeting closed at 21:04 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Village Centre Working Group – Summary Report January 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide a safe green integrated route through the village from Ancott Close, across the Recreation Ground, along Eldons Drove and to the Primary School (Eldons Drove Lane).

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins


1. Revised paths between the Library and shops linking to new High Street crossing

2. Wider path across Recreation Ground around Rocket Park to a graded, wide path through the trees to Eldons Drove; safety barriers at end of path (Pond Walk)

3. Marked pedestrian paths and traffic signage on Eldons Drove

4. School Walk – Path to access the rear of the primary school field from Eldons Drove

5. Pharmacy Steps & surroundings – improvements/landscaping


· DC Highways agreement on type of High Street crossing point and exact spec.

· DC Highways confirmation plan is included in 2021/22 LTP

· DC Highways confirmation of pathway spec. along Eldons Drove and inclusion in 2021/22 LTP

· Legal agreement between all parties for works permissions.

Status/Next Steps:

· Pond Walk – Path through woods to Eldons Drove open and 95% complete (awaiting a good-weather window to finish a soft spot), plus 1 bench to be installed.

· School Walk – DC granted the licence for Eldons Drove path to school. Surface complete. Awaiting DC & adjacent landowner acceptance to fit barrier gate.

· LMPC to write to affected Eldons Drove houses advising of new pathway plan.

· LMPC to replace Pharmacy steps and renovate the surrounding area – agreement reached with owner/tenant. Awaiting legal documents.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 98
Forecast 8 [1]
Total 106


Climate Change Emergency (CCE) Working Group – Summary Report January 2021

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ralph Watts, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker, Roger Ong, Rosemary Russell, Adrian Russell, Max Scott, Matt Alexander


6. Sports Pavilion upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset or SALIX grant

7. Youth Hall upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset or SALIX grant

8. Parish tree planting program


· Acceptance of grant applications in order to proceed with upgrades to both buildings

· Identification of suitable sites for tree planting

Status/Next Steps:

· Sports Pavilion – Application submitted to Salix. Stage 1 agreed in principle, passed technical review, now with external auditors for final approval.

· Youth Hall – Application submitted to Salix to catch grant fund expiration window. Awaiting formal acceptance of stage 1.

· Tree planting completed at the Lower Rec Car Park project. Verges to be identified in consultation with DC Highways.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0
Forecast 34(1) 60(2)
Total 34 60

(1) Sports Pavilion – Salix Grant could be 100% of costs of upgrades & renewables, otherwise Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution.

(2) Youth Hall – Salix Grant could be 100% of the cost of upgrades & renewables. Without the Salix grant this project will be put on hold.

* This is the full value of the Sports Pavilion & Youth Hall upgrades, most of which would be offset by grant funding. Salix grants could be up to 100%. For the Sports Pavilion, a Low Carbon Dorset grant would contribute 40%, if the Salix grant application is unsuccessful.

FullMinutes 210127 Appendix 1 (Foxhills Path Repairs2).pdf

Full Minutes 210127 (Word)

Full Council minutes 27 January 2021