Minutes of the meeting of LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Wednesday 27 May 2020 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), M Attridge, M Colvey, A Huggins, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and A Starr

No members of the public were present.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

There was none.

DORSET COUNCILLORS’ REPORT

Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton reported as follows:

Key message to the media: The Dorset Council message to public is still ‘Think Twice’ about visiting Dorset. Some beaches are open, some car parks are open but with reduced capacity. Payment for car parks is now expected using cash or contactless card or using the Just Park App on a smart phone. There was a short campaign to allow cash payments as many older people do not use smart phones or cards. Many carparks are not yet updated to card payments. Ongoing.

Toilets: Some Dorset toilets in busy areas have been opened due to concerns over hygiene with visitors using ‘informal’ places for toileting. However cleaning regularly is an issue for staff and concern that the washing facilities need to allow 20 second hand wash.

Fire and tinder dry heathland. The fire on Sugar Hill/ Woolsbarrow/ Black Heath started on 18th May and flared again several times. It is still a danger if winds stir up embers so a fire crew is still on watch. Fire crews from all Dorset attended and were helped by crews from Hampshire, Wiltshire and Somerset. This was the largest heath fire for many years, started probably by disposable BBQs. Two properties were under notice to evacuate. The fire helicopter scooped water from Morden Lake to help. Many volunteers helped by supporting the fire crews with food and refreshment. The Silent Woman road is still closed to allow emergency vehicles to patrol and to deter overnight camping and BBQs by visitors. On Monday night there were also heath fires on Stoborough Heath and 16 other callouts.

Covid 19: The care hospital at Weymouth has been stood down as no longer needed as the hospitals now have enough room.

The helpline numbers at Dorset Council for Covid-related problems have been very busy, and increasing problem appears to be mental health issues like depression in lonely ‘shielded’ individuals who just feel exhausted and worn down with worry.

Dorset leaders and Cabinet are in weekly meeting with Local MPs, who sometimes appear to be less well informed than Dorset Council about the developments.

Information technology / home working: ICT changes are going ahead with up to 50% of Council employees now adapted to working from home. Dorset is going ahead with hybrid meetings where some councillors meet with social distancing while others can join in virtually. The first Full Council meeting with about 20 live councillors is on June 11th.

Planning meetings have started using Microsoft Teams – the next one is June 3rd. The SANG at Flowers Drove is on the agenda.

5G Trial: The rollout of the 5G trial is happening, and a grant has been received to support this. The only area which may affect the general public is the scheme with Lulworth Castle estate. The shoreline and under cliff coverage in association with RNLI should make it safer for rescue teams in the area.

Household recycling: The Wareham tip is open with queuing in place. Many people are leaving clothes for recycling by the Salvation Army clothes banks in community locations. These will not be collected, but will be treated as fly tipping and eventually go to land fill. Please discourage this dumping of clothes.

Election of Chairman of the council

Cllr Bush was nominated by Cllr Colvey, seconded by Cllr Webb. No other nominees. Duly ELECTED.

To receive the declaration of acceptance of office of the Chairman of the council.

The Parish Clerk forwarded the Acceptance of Office form to Cllr Bush for signature and return to him.

To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Cllrs R Carswell, A Cottman, C Maher and R Watts.

To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

Election of Vice Chairman of the council.

Cllr Huggins was nominated by Cllr Bush, seconded by Cllr Webb. No other nominees. Duly ELECTED.

To receive the declaration of acceptance of office of the Vice Chairman of the council.

The Parish Clerk forwarded the Acceptance of Office form to Cllr Huggins for signature and return to him.

To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meetings held on 22nd April and the Extraordinary Council meeting on 30th April 2020.

It was RESOLVED to approve both of these sets of minutes as a true record of the meetings. The minutes were then duly forwarded by email to the Council Chairman for signature and return to the Parish Clerk.

To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made by members during the meeting.

i. Dorset Cllrs Report, Minutes 23rd October 2019 – DC Criteria for placement of SIDs.

The SID unit has been ordered for delivery to the Road Safety Team at Dorset Council, who will install it with the solar panels when the poles have been installed. A request has gone to Dorset Council to install the poles at the three locations agreed with them. The S72 agreement has been signed to enable DC staff to regularly move the SID unit between the three poles.

ii. Minute 13, 23rd October 2019 – Replacement fence for Rocket Park play area.

All of the materials for the fence have been delivered to Poole Business Services’ Hatch Pond Rd Depot ready for them to install it.

iii. Minute 7.1, 26 February 2020 – Contact Santander to close the two dormant bank accounts.

Deferred due to the current health crisis, i.e. (i) bank advisor availability, and (ii) the possibility that the accounts might be needed for some purpose during the crisis. DEFERRED

iv. Minute 7.2, 26 February 2020 – PBS to lay 5 square metres of rubber flooring inside Rocket Park south side gateway to address worn, sharp concrete edge.

This has been booked with Poole Business Services. This will be done at the same time as the new fence is installed.

v. Minute 7.3, 26 February 2020 – Request Poole Business Services to supply and installation of 48 recycled plastic posts, plus relocation of 2 dropping posts.

Order placed. Installation date may be affected by the current health crisis. A site meeting has been arranged with Cllr Huggins for Thursday 28th May 2020.

vi. Minute 20, 26 February 2020, bullet 1 – Sutcliffe Play South West to order and install replacement parts for the zip wire at Rocket Park.

This work has now been completed. DISCHARGED

vii. Minute 20, 26 February 2020, bullet 2 – PBS to arrange for repair of the safety surfacing adjacent to the “Record” roundabout at Rocket Park.

PBS advise that this work has been completed. DISCHARGED

Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The Chairman referred to the request made to Dorset Council for the “Social Distancing” banners. The Parish Clerk advised that these were expected to be delivered on Wednesday of week commencing 1st June. Some discussion took place about the most suitable locations for these. It was noted that the Primary School will receive a separate supply for their own use.

The Chairman also reported that the letters regarding the transfer of contact data for volunteers and those on the support list had been distributed and responses were being received and noted.

To consider appointment of council representatives to the DAPTC Area Committee and the Larger Councils Committee.

It was RESOLVED that the Council would retain its membership of both the DAPTC Area Committee and the Larger Councils Committee, and that Cllrs Attridge and Colvey would be its representatives on both. It was also RESOLVED that the Parish Clerk would write to the Chair of the DAPTC Area Committee to point out the occasional clash between the dates of the meetings of that committee and the Parish Council’s own meetings. Action: Parish Clerk to write to Peter Bowyer accordingly.

To consider appointments of Lytchett Matravers Youth Group Link, Litter Picking events co-ordinator, Rights of Way (footpaths and bridleways) representative; and liaison roles to other village organisations as required.

The following points were RESOLVED:

· Youth Groups Link: Invite Cllr Wood to continue in this role.

· Litter picking events co-ordinator: Invite Cllr Carswell to take on this role.

· Rights of Way (footpaths & bridleways) representative: Cllr Attridge.

· School liaison: Cllr Attridge

· Village Hall Cttee representative: Cllr Cottman.

· Volunteer Groups liaison: Cllrs Colvey and Barker. Action: Cllr Colvey to speak to Cllr Barker about this.

It was also reported that Cllrs C Maher and R Watts had formally written to the Council to advise that they were standing down from the Council with effect from the end of May. The Parish Clerk reminded the members of the process followed to advertise vacancies – which includes a 2 week period during which Dorset Council display a notice inviting the local electorate to request a by-election; and if one is not requested the Parish Council may then advertise casual vacancies. In preparation for this the Parish Clerk confirmed that he would notify Dorset Council Democratic Services Dept, and also commence a local review process of a draft person spec for Council membership he had previously produced. Action: Parish Clerk to notify Dorset Council and begin the review of the person spec accordingly.

To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 13th May 2020 (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to note the content of these minutes.

To receive and note the Notes of a Meeting with Dorset Council Highways on 11th May 2020: Cllrs Bush, Carswell and Watts.

Cllr Bush summarised the key points of these notes for the members present. A copy of the notes are associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was observed with some frustration that not much progress has been made by Dorset Council on any of the issues discussed with them last November. Some matters seem to be in the hands of Mark Osborne, Dorset Council, awaiting his response or action. This was noted by DC Ward Cllr Alex Brenton to chase up with Mr Osborne.

To consider the council’s views in response to a resident’s suggestion of a community Scarecrow Festival to be held in the autumn as a fundraiser for Forest Holme.

It was RESOLVED to respond to the WI to confirm that the Council supports this idea. It was noted that no request has been made for the use of any Council land, nor for any particular material support of this initiative.

To agree to provide interim funding to LMSC for utilities and grass cutting until group activities can resume.

The Chairman referred to a £500 reimbursement which they have paid to the Council for water previously provided to the Scout Hut via the Pavilion supply. It was noted that this money is due to the Sports Club and therefore negates the proposal in this agenda item. However please see the footnote to minute 19 below regarding the need to reduce this payment by the net cost (i.e. excl VAT) of two grass cuts of the playing pitches by Idverde Ltd, the cost of which are being met by the Parish Council.

To consider planning application 6/2020/0228 Tall Tree Cottage, Lime Kiln Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EL. Remove rear porch and erect single storey rear extension.

NO OBJECTION.

To consider planning application 6/2020/0168 4 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BG. Demolish existing side extension & replace with new porch canopy. Erect a single storey side extension with rooflights & form a loft conversion with rooflights & side dormer.

NO OBJECTION.

To receive and consider reports of the following Working Groups:

  1. Village Centre: Cllr Carswell produced a report, a copy of which is at Appendix 2 to these minutes. The Chairman summarised the circumstances leading to a necessary change of approach for the tendering process for the works.
  2. Library: Cllr Bush commented that responses are awaited from Mark Osborne at Dorset Council regarding this proposed transfer. Dorset Cllr A Brenton remarked that she understood Mr Osborne was seeking to ascertain whether the Library Managers actively supported this transfer.
  3. Astro: It was noted that the land transfer for this is in the hands of Mr Mark Osborne, Dorset Council.
  4. Village Hall: Cllr Cottman was not present. No report.
  5. Huntick Rd Cycle Path: Cllr Huggins referred to the summary provided to him by Cllr Watts.
  6. LM Charitable Trust: It was noted that in the light of Cllr Watts stepping down from the Council a new lead is required. It was suggested that this initiative might be segmented, and a start made with the Sports Club.
  7. Parish Council communications: Cllr B Barker was not present. No report.
  8. Climate Emergency: Cllr Bush indicated that he would request a summary of the latest position from Cllr Watts before his tenure on the council ends on 31st May.
  9. Broadband provision improvements: Cllr Huggins referred to some further communication with the landowner who is currently in dialogue with Wessex internet about the connection route to remaining properties in Middle Rd.
  10. Defibrillator project: Cllr Huggins provided the latest update regarding work towards operational status for the units at The Chequers and in the former telephone kiosk opposite the school. It was noted with regard to the telephone kiosk location that, whilst desirable, replacement of the obscured glass panels and the installation of bespoke signage is not critical to bringing this unit into use. Discussion then turned to the unit on Tesco’s wall, which is currently damaged. It has been established that this is not owned or maintained by the Parish Council. It is also noted that it does not appear on a published map of units registered with the South West Ambulance Service. Further urgent investigation is therefore required into the ownership, maintenance regime and current status of this unit.

To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4302 T Watton Clerk’s salary – May (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 945.54 0.00 945.54
4303 Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib May 2020 373.14 0.00 373.14
4304 SLCC Membership fees 2020/21 202.00 0.00 202.00
4305 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – April 20 303.49 60.70 364.19
4306 Idverde Ltd Grass cutting area adjacent to playing pitches 6 April 20 24.00 4.80 28.80
4307 Information Commissioners Office Data Protection registration annual renewal fee 35.00 0.00 35.00
4308 Lytchett Matravers Village Hall Electricity used in Parish Office Mar 2019-Apr 2020 455.82 0.00 455.82
4309 Sutcliffe Play (South West) Ltd Zip wire repairs – trolley, spring and stopper 782.00 156.40 938.40
4310 T Watton Reimbursement of expenses: postage

stationery

Key cutting

Total

65.28

24.42

16.67

106.37

0.00

4.88

3.33

8.21

65.28

29.30

20.00

114.58

4311 SLCC Enterprises Ltd Clerk’s training course: “Operation London Bridge” 30.00 6.00 36.00
4312 Alpha Rail Ltd Balance of cost of goods supplied (extra over-raked panels) 1015.62 203.12 1218.74
4313 A Huggins Reimbursement of cost of purchase of MIFI unit for defib phone box. 33.32 6.67 39.99
4314 J Chamberlain Refund of £5 allotment fee transferred to LMPC in error. 5.00 0.00 5.00
4315 LM Sports Club Transfer of reimbursement from Scouts for water supplied via Pavilion 500.00 0.00 500.00
4316 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – May 20 303.49 60.70 364.19
4317 Idverde Ltd Grass cutting area adjacent to playing pitches 27 April 20 24.00 4.80 28.80
4318 Idverde Ltd Grass cutting playing pitches area of rec 27 Apr 20 87.50 17.50 105.00
4319 Idverde Ltd Grass cutting playing pitches area of rec 6 Apr 20 87.50 17.50 105.00

NB: The above £500 to Sports club is to be reduced by value of the net cost of 2 x grass cutting of pitches area by Idverde Ltd i.e. £500-£175 = £325.00.

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month.

The Parish Clerk has undertaken three training session webinars arranged by the SLCC: (i) Website accessibility standards (2 x 2 hour sessions), (ii) Creating accessible Word and PDF documents (1 x 90 min session).

To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents. There were none.

Correspondence.

Cllr Webb referred to correspondence he had received from a local resident earlier this week regarding when the road sweeper truck is due. It was noted that this has since visited the village.

The Parish Clerk reported that he had been in correspondence with a potential new allotment holder and this had revealed the poor condition of the plot in question. As a result, and reflecting on the fact that we are almost at the halfway point of the rental year, the Clerk proposed that the plot in question is taken off offer and action is taken to clear the rubbish from it and bring it back into a reasonable condition to let.

To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 24th June 2020 at 7pm. The access link to this meeting will be made available to members of the public on request from the Parish Clerk (tel 07824 829491 or email lytchettmatravers )

The meeting closed at 20:13

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………

Full Minutes 200527 Approved.pdf
Full Minutes 200527 Appendix 1 (DC Highways Meeting Notes 11-05-20)