Wednesday 28th April 2021 at 7:00 online.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), M Attridge, V Abbott, R Carswell, A Huggins, K Korenevsky, K Morgan, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dorset Cllrs A Brenton and B Pipe.

Three members of the public were also present.


The applicant of planning application 6/2021/0031 at Hill House, Jennys Lane spoke in support of his application which is under consultation at minute 13 below. He referred to a previous application which had been refused by Purbeck District Council as the Local Planning Authority at the time and which was subsequently also turned down on appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. The applicant asked the Parish Council to consider the latest proposal objectively.

A resident who had recently moved into the area explained that she was hoping to become actively involved in the local community and so was attending the meeting to listen in. She expressed concerns about the substantial development plans in the village put forward by Wyatt homes.


Dorset Cllr Pipe remarked that he had nothing specific to report in relation to Lytchett Matravers. However he remarked that Dorset Council had passed a “balanced budget”. He also noted that Dorset Council had been awarded £12m from central government to reduce the carbon footprint and support “green” projects.

Cllr Pipe also commented that the Upton Together Covid-19 support organisation was still operating, although this activity is reducing in line with falling demand.

In response to a question, Dorset Cllr Pipe commented that it is his understanding that the central government money for green projects will be shared with Parish & Town Councils, although it was unclear at this stage what the process will be to bid for / access it. The Chairman remarked that once this process is known, the Parish Council will be grateful for that information – because it has a list of such projects ready.

Cllr Webb wondered if there was any indication yet whether there is some recognition that the housing numbers in the Draft Local Plan are based on out-of-date principles / assumptions. Cllr Pipe remarked that it may be best to wait to see the results of the analysis of the consultation responses. However he also remarked that the Leader and Deputy Leader of Dorset Council had made representations to the LGA and Central Government.

In response to a query about progress on the Purbeck Local Plan, Cllr Pipe commented that as far as he was aware no final response had yet been received from the Examiner.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllrs B Barker, M Colvey, and A Cottman.

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 24th March 2021.

It was RESOLVED to approve these minutes as a true record of the meeting.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 10, Full Council meeting, 28th October 2020 – Amended planning application 6/2020/0297 enforcement request regarding breaches of planning conditions. It was confirmed that Cllrs Bush and Morgan will put together a reply to Dorset Council’s response of 24th February 2021 – which the Clerk will then send on the DC.
  2. Minute 4, Full Council meeting, 24th February 2021 – installation of key safe at Parish Council office. It was agreed to arrange for a key safe to be installed in the Parish Council office. This had been ordered, however the Clerk then received an update stating that delivery would be delayed by several weeks. Consequently he is now making arrangements with an alternative supplier.
  3. Minute 13, Full Council meeting, 24th March 2021 – Lytchett Astro playing surface repair. As agreed, the Parish Clerk contract Replay Maintenance and this work was completed on 12th and 13th April 2021. DISCHARGED

5. Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The chairman referred to a new report template, compliant with Public Sector Website Accessibility standards, which he asked all members to use when preparing reports.

He invited Cllr Huggins to provide a status update on the defibrillator programme:

  • The Chequers – LMPC owned. Installed and working, with automatic monitoring supplemented by monthly manual checks reported to SW Ambulance Service and the Parish Clerk. An agreement sets out a clear understanding of what The Chequers is responsible for and what the Parish Council is responsible for.
  • Phone box in Wareham Rd (opp Primary school) – LMPC owned. Installed and working, with automatic monitoring supplemented by monthly manual checks reported to SW Ambulance Service and the Parish Clerk.

Other locations

  • Tesco Express – Tesco owned and maintained. Available to the public 24/7.
  • Sports pavilion – Sports Club owned and maintained. Installed inside the building, so available only when the building is open / occupied.
  • Primary school – school owned and maintained. Available only during school hours.

Future installations

  • Aster Housing retirement home premises – LMPC owned and maintained. Soon to be installed on an external wall by Aster Housing engineers. Will be available for public use 24/7 under similar agreement and monitoring arrangements as the unit at The Chequers.

6. To note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 14th April 2021 (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to note the contents of these minutes.

Consideration was also given to the F&GP Cttee RECOMMENDATIONS regarding financial reviews.

  1. Investment with Prudential International – The current and recent performance of this was noted. Cllr Webb agreed to speak to the council’s financial advisor to explore what other options might be available. Action: Cllr Webb to speak to the financial advisor and report back.
  2. Council members will be consulted by the Chairman on the four sinking funds for the replacement of key assets, to consider whether this is still a viable approach. Action: Council members to respond to this.
  3. Each Working Group is to review and project their financial plans and priorities for 2021-22 for report back to Full Council. Action: Working Group chairs to arrange for review and report back.


A summary report which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

It was noted that the order of priorities are as follows:

  1. Pharmacy steps – work due to start on 10th May 2021.
  2. High Street crossing
  3. School walking route along Eldons Drove
  4. The “island” opposite Purbeck Parade.

It was also reported that a DC appointed surveyor had recently visited to undertake some measurement at the proposed High St crossing site during week commencing 12 April 2021. Cllr Bush indicated that he would follow-up on this with Helen Jackson at Dorset Council.

8. To receive a report from the Climate Change Emergency Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes. Cllr Carswell commented that final approval of the grant award from Low Carbon Dorset for the Sports Pavilion is awaited by the end of April. If approved it will become a high priority to progress these works immediately in line with the contractors’ quotes.


A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes. It was noted that the forecast for 2021-22 is £30K based on a contractor’s estimate for extension of the first phase of the cycleway as far as Jubilee Walk. However, some doubts were expressed about the timing of the development of Selby’s Yard and so it was suggested that it may be helpful to speak to the developers to clarify their intentions on this. Cllr Bush indicated that he would draft a letter to this effect and circulate it to members for comment. Action: Cllr Bush to draft the letter accordingly.

Cllr Huggins commented that WSP Consultants appointed by Dorset Council are in the early stages of examining this project. He also questioned the necessity of the path being 3m wide throughout its whole planned length. He indicated that he would raise this point with Helen Jackson at DC. Action: Cllr Huggins to contact Helen Jackson about this.


A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes. Cllr Morgan commented that a third meeting of the Working Group had been held and numerous ideas discussed. Two non-council members with very relevant knowledge and expertise had now joined the WG. It was noted that the highest priority for the WG is the reinstatement of the paths on the Foxhills Open Space – see also minute 15 below. Beyond this, initiatives are being discussed to tidy-up the pond area adjacent to Eldons Drove, and develop the area on the southern part of the Recreation Ground, including the basketball area, for more play and exercise facilities.

11. To receive and note an update on the initiative to widen the provision of superfast broadband within the parish (for the purposes of report only)

A summary report which had been circulated to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 5 to these minutes. Cllr Huggins indicated that he would be approaching Openreach to see if they might be prepared to undertake this scheme as a routine infrastructure upgrade outwith the voucher scheme arrangements. Failing that, Cllr Higgins suggested that he would approach Dorset Council to see if they will provide the £40K shortfall between current voucher values and the total scheme cost.

12. To consider planning application 6/2021/0031 Hill House, Jennys Lane, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BP. Demolish existing store. Conversion of existing workshop to habitable dwelling.

The Parish Council considered the following points, upon which it resolved by a majority of the members present to record an OBJECTION to this proposal;

The workshop is a recently constructed building erected sometime between 2014 and 2018, evidenced by 2 x site plans submitted by this same applicant in connection with other planning applications for Hill House. There is no record of a planning application for the structure, so it is assumed that it was erected under permitted development rights as being ancillary to the enjoyment of the dwelling house. Within a very short period after its construction, in 2019 the same applicant submitted a planning application to replace the new building with a dwelling. This was refused PP and subsequently dismissed at Appeal in 2020.

The current Application seeks essentially the same objective of a new dwelling, but this time as a change of use of an existing building in the countryside. The Parish Council does not accept the notion that large ancillary structures can be erected under PD and then qualify for Change of Use to a dwelling. In the case of Hill House with its large domestic curtilage, it follows that the applicant would be entitled to put up a series of similar PD structures for subsequent reuse as dwellings.

In plain terms this is a semi-retrospective proposal to put up a new dwelling beyond the Village Settlement Boundary within Open Countryside and within the Green Belt and, as such, is contrary to paras 143-145 of the NPPF and Policy CO of the Purbeck Local Plan.

13. To consider planning application 6/2021/0087 86 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Variation of conditions 2 & 5 of PP 6/2020/0297 (Alterations to existing building to form additional ground floor 1 bedroom flat and reduce size of shop unit. Installation of rooflights to south elevation to serve shop) minor amendments to front landscape areas.

The Parish Council wished to record an OBJECTION to this proposal on the grounds that there is no provision for the required bicycle storage which was included in the original approval.

14. To receive any available update on the matter of Remote meetings; and to consider the approach to the Annual parish meeting

It was confirmed that the legislation permitting remote meetings is due to expire on 7th May 2021 and recent legal challenges have failed to have this decision overturned. Consequently all council meetings after this date will be face-to-face and will be required to be compliant with the Covid-19 Government guidelines in force at the time.

Regarding the matter of the Annual Parish Meeting, members were reminded that Parish Councils’ responsibility is merely to enable a meeting of parishioners to take place. It is not a Parish Council meeting. In the circumstances it was agreed not to make arrangements for such a meeting at this stage but to review the situation in September.


Reference was made to the January 2021 full council meeting which took the decision to allocate up to £42.5K to reinstate paths on the Foxhills Open Space. Cllr Morgan reported on the sets of tenders received for both the east and west paths – from Fletchamoore (Poole) Ltd, Gould Groundworks Ltd, and BCP. A recommendation to award both contracts to Gould Groundworks & Plant Hire Ltd on grounds of a combination of price and timing as follows was unanimously RESOLVED to approve:

East: £14753.65 Start 1.6.21 Complete 2.7.21

West: £10683.23 Start 1.6.21 Complete 18.6.21

It was agreed that this may be funded from the Foxhills Open Space maintenance fund.

16. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
BT Office phone and broadband – Mar 21 50.47 10.09 60.56
Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 1st- 31st March 2021 14.02 0.70 14.72
SSE Car park lighting, Quarter 4 2020/21 16.18 0.80 16.98

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

17. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – Apr (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 969.41 0.00 969.41
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib Apr 2021 383.38 0.00 383.38
HMRC PAYE & ENI quarter 4, 2020/21 990.72 0.00 990.72
T Homer Handyman duties Mar 2021 418.50 0.00 418.50
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – April 21 303.49 60.69 364.18
Purbeck CAB Contribution to CAB sessions in LM library 2021/22 4630.00 0.00 4630.00
D & P Warr Contracting Hedge trimming – High St / Rec 160.00 32.00 192.00
Dorset Council Rights of Way service contract annual renewal Church Walk / Jubilee Walk) 490.00 0.00 490.00
Dorset Council Annual Land rental – Club Hall 15.00 0.00 15.00
Dorset Council Funding additional library opening hours 2020/21 1414.00 0.00 1414.00
Replay Maintenance Ltd Specialist repair work to playing surface 12 & 13 April 2021 1795.00 359.00 2154.00
DAPTC New Cllr induction training fees for K Morgan and K Korenevsky, 29 Mar 2021. 70.00 0.00 70.00
Printerbase Ltd Laser printer toner cartridge 53.83 10.76 64.59
Lytchett Matravers Village Hall Electricity used in Parish Office 27 Apr 2020 – 21 Mar 2021 206.05 0.00 206.05
Churches Fire Security Ltd Annual fire safety equipment inspection, servicing and renewals at Club Hall 132.75 26.55 159.30
L Small Refund of allotment 29 deposit and balance of rental for 2021 57.50 0.00 57.50
A Bush Reimbursement for expenditure on behalf of council 21.83 0.00 21.83

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

18. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

The Parish Clerk attended an online training session presented by the Scribe support team.

Cllrs Morgan and Korenevsky attended DAPTC new councillor induction sessions on 29th March.

19. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).

There were none.

20. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

  • Cllr Morgan commented on the Wyatts consultation response summary which he had received. He noted that there were lots of statistics and comments included, however the summary does not indicate that they are considering making any changes to their intended proposals.
  • It was noted that some queries have been received regarding the water supply at the cemetery. The Parish Clerk explained that the supply is a private one from an adjacent property which has been provided through an arrangement with previous owners of the property. The matter is currently the subject of dialogue between the vicar of St Mary’s church and the new owner of that property.
  • The Parish Clerk reported on correspondence with a resident who had raised a concern about possible damage to a memorial at the cemetery. It is being explored with the maintenance contractors whether this could possibly have been caused during grass cutting works by them.

21. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 26th May 2021 at 7pm. This meeting will take place in the village hall and will be the first face to face meeting of the council since the Coronavirus lockdowns began in March 2020

The meeting closed at 20:13 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Village Centre Working Group – Summary Report. April 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide a safe green integrated route through the village from Ancott Close, across the Recreation Ground, along Eldons Drove and to the Primary School (Eldons Drove Lane).

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins


1. Revised paths between the Library and shops linking to new High Street crossing

2. Wider path across Recreation Ground around Rocket Park to a graded, wide path through the trees to Eldons Drove; safety barriers at end of path (Pond Walk)

3. Marked pedestrian paths and traffic signage on Eldons Drove

4. School Walk – Path to access the rear of the primary school field from Eldons Drove

5. Pharmacy Steps & surroundings – improvements/landscaping


· DC Highways agreement on type of High Street crossing point and exact spec.

· DC Highways confirmation plan is included in 2021/22 LTP

· DC Highways confirmation of pathway spec. along Eldons Drove and inclusion in 2021/22 LTP

· Legal agreement between all parties for works permissions.

Status/Next Steps:

· Pond Walk – Path through woods to Eldons Drove open and completed.

· Pond Walk – renovation of pond, etc to be taken on by VEWG.

· LMPC to write to affected Eldons Drove houses advising of new pathway plan.

· LMPC to replace Pharmacy steps and renovate the surrounding area:

· Awaiting final revised legal agreement to be signed by the main parties.

· Contractor scheduled to start work 10th May 2021.

· LMPC to arrange signage alerting to works.

· LMPC to liaise with Tesco re timing of works & provision of power & water.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0
Forecast 8 [1] 2
Total 8 2


Climate & Ecological Emergency Working Group – Summary Report, April 2021

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ralph Watts, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker, Roger Ong, Rosemary Russell, Adrian Russell, Max Scott, Matt Alexander


1. Sports Pavilion upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset (LCD). The ‘whole building’ upgrade includes new doors, cavity wall & loft insulation, Solar PV, ASHP (Air source heat pump) to replace space & water heating system.

2. Youth Hall – upgrades.

3. Parish tree planting program.


Acceptance of grant application in order to proceed with upgrades.

Status/Next Steps:

· Sports Pavilion – LCD grant at final acceptance stage

· Upon LCD grant acceptance, works to commence May/June

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0 ?
Forecast 0 34(1) ?
Total 0 34 ?

(1) Sports Pavilion – Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution.


Huntick Road Cyclepath Working Group – Summary Report, April 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide a dedicated safe cycle route to Lytchett Minster School and on to Poole from the village.

Working Group Participants:

Andrew Huggins, Alf Bush


1. The requirement for a dedicated cyclepath was included in the Lytchett Matravers Neighbourhood Plan and was unanimously approved at the referendum and subsequently adopted by Purbeck D.C.

2. The proposed route starts at the Rose & Crown crossroads and goes down Huntick Road. Preliminary agreement has been reached with Highways and the landowner to the north of Huntick Road.

3. The final stage from the Race Farm junction to Post Green and/or Dorchester Road is to be finalised.

4. The initial 180m from the R&C junction will be included as part of the Wyatt/Morrish development in Huntick Road. That development has now started.

5. LMPC to complete the next section to Jubilee Walk (linked to Selbys Yard decision).


DC Highways confirmation on the full route, particularly after Race Farm.

Confirmation of the LTP commitment within the Purbeck Local Plan, which includes the requirement for both DC and the developers to provide 150k each for local transport needs. This would be earmarked for the cyclepath.

Outcome of the planning application for Selbys Yard to include short section along their frontage.

Status/Next Steps:

· Met with LM and Upton Council + S Mepham 9 Feb (Zoom). LM+U want a path Randalls Hill to Courtyard. Some issues with narrow and flooding verges – they are investigating land ownership. That path could link to the Huntick Cyclepath for complete route to Poole/Wareham.

· Suggested to SM the possibility of taking up 1m verge either side of road to create 2m Cyclepath and shifting Huntick Road sideways. Viable depending on services underground.

· First 180m across full width of site frontage on Huntick Road now complete.

· Contact affected Huntick Road houses advising of new cyclepath plan, including Selbys Yard decision.

· Reassessment of preferred surface and width from Jubilee Walk onwards.

· LM+U to pursue a path at bottom end to meet up with Huntick Cyclepath near Kitchermans cottage.

· WSP (DC’s consultant) are in early stages of investigation.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date
Forecast 30 150
Total 30 150


Village Environment Working Group – Summary Report, April 2021

Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins , Karen Korenevsky, Rob Carswell (+ co-opted advisers Geoff Holland, Dr John Holland)


1. Foxhills Paths – Repairs/Reconstruction during summer 21 – See Tender Report + Recommendation Agenda Item 15

2. Rec – Play, Exercise, Landscaping opportunities, future stormwater runoff problem.

3. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking

4. Trees – Management, Protection, New planting, Dedication +Sponsorship. Audit.

5. Play Area winter surface problems. Rocket Park ok till 21-22 winter. Foxhills to be addressed.

6. Eldons Drove Pond.

7. Ongoing – Highways liaison, Monitor Footpaths, GGs, Street scene improvements, Biodiversity.

8. Finger post Renovations

9. Frys Close paved ‘desert’ improvement opportunity.

10. SANG? Will PC take responsibility?

11. Guerilla Gardeners – Is this a PC initiative?


· Dorset Highways

Status/Next Steps:

· Sketch designs/ideas for the listed projects, consider priorities + budget estimates.

· Pond Area + Dog Walk Brambles clearance area – measured surveys.

· GG projects – list + prioritise

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 1.5
Forecast 55 ?
Total 1.5 55 ?


Superfast Broadband Working Group – Summary Report April 2021

Working Group Objective:

To improve Broadband connections for the properties in the village who have slower Broadband connections, but coordinating a Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme.

Working Group Participants:

Andrew Huggins


1. Having been approached by some Lytchett residents who reported their broadband speed is pitifully slow, I worked with Dorset Superfast to identify properties with the slower connections.

2. Properties with currently <30MB must sign up to >30MB for 12 months. Properties with >30MB musy sign up to a service which doubles their currently maximum, for 12 months.

3. The Rural Gigabit scheme, which has Dorset Council topup, provides £2500 per residential property (of which £1000 is from DC) and £6500 for each property where a business operates (incl £3000 from DC). Cutoff for applications 30 March 2021. The New 2021 voucher scheme released in April includes the same Government levels, but it is not clear if Dorset Council will provide the topup.

4. Mailshot to all properties in the High Street, most Roads to the North of it, and Huntick estate and Palmers Orchard and Vineyard Close.

5. Openreach have quoted £274500 to provide FTTP to up to 457 identified properties.


  • We need enough residents to sign up to cover the scheme cost.
  • Parish Council, as a “Legal Entity” has to apply for the scheme and be prepared to underwrite any shortfall if households do not ultimately take out the required service (contract for 12 months).
  • If we get interest which equates to vouchers to the value of an extra >30% of the project cost (ie 130% of £274500 = £356850) then the Parish council is NOT required to underwrite the project.

· Given the current level of expressed interest, we don’t have sufficient voucher value to cover the project cost WITHOUT Dorset Council topup, but it is not yet clear if topup is available.

Status/Next Steps:

· New scheme opened 8 April 2021. Govt vouchers are same value as before (£1500/£3500) – that gives us about £240000 of vouchers. However, for the last scheme Dorset Council topped these vouchers up to £2500 and £6000. Lack of clarity in their response. They have referred me back to Openreach and suggested that Openreach might take a different approach and make this a “routine infrastructure upgrade” due to the level of interest – this would make it all a lot simpler. I await response from Openreach and have chased them.

· Openreach did suggest, once old scheme closed, that I consider adding to the scope of the project to include some more properties (Huntick Road) so I await the revised quote/proposal.

· I currently have 125 addresses of which 11 are businesses.

· I will try to call Openreach this week.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date
Forecast 0 0
Total 0 0


Full Minutes 210428v2 (Word)

Full Council minutes 28 April 2021