Wednesday 28 July 2021 at 7:00 in the Village Hall.

PRESENT were A Bush (Chairman), M Colvey, A Huggins, K Morgan, P Webb, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: One member of the public.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION (Standing orders suspended)

There was none.


None of the Ward members of Dorset Council were able to be present, but Dorset Cllr Brenton had forwarded a written report which the Parish Clerk had made available to all members. A copy is associated at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

Cllr Webb drew members’ attention to the fact that Dorset Council has begun to consider the effectiveness of their current Cabinet system vs a Committee system of governance.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence.

Apologies were received from Cllrs V Abbott, M Attridge, B Barker, R Carswell, and K Korenevsky. Dorset Cllrs A Brenton, B Pipe and A Starr also sent their apologies.

2. To receive any declarations of interest, and consider any requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.

There were none.

3. To receive and resolve to approve minutes of Council meeting held on 23rd June 2021.

It was RESOLVED by all present to approve the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

4. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters (for the purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. Italics below indicate additional comments made during the meeting.

  1. Minute 7, 23 June 2021 – LGA 2020 Code of Conduct, adopted by LMPC 23 June 2021. This has been added to the LMPC website and the previous version removed. DISCHARGED
  2. Minute 12, 23 June 2021 – Submission to LM Village Environment Working Group of ideas for use of LM Angels’ surplus public donated funds. See minute 15 below.

5. Chairman’s announcements (for the purposes of report only).

The Council Chairman that he had now spoken to Rupert Williams, Development Manager Assets & Property, Dorset Council, about the matter of access over the Youth Club car park to the adjacent residential property. Dorset Council is corresponding with representatives of the Army Cadets regarding the lease.

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General purposes committee meeting on 14th July 2021 (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of these draft minutes.

7. To receive and consider a report on an investigation into complaints against the Parish Council.

The details of each complaint were discussed and the Council agreed the reported outcome findings.

8. To receive a report from the Village Centre Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 2 to these minutes.

Cllr Morgan added to this by asking if a licence could be requested from Dorset Council to install a path running from the junction at the head of steps adjacent to the Pharmacy to where the existing library path joins the High St pavement. Cllr Bush indicated that he would request this. Action: Cllr Bush to request this licence from Dorset Council.

9. To receive a report from the Climate Change Emergency Working Group (for purposes of report only).

A summary report which had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting was noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 3 to these minutes. It was noted that the scaffolding has now been removed from the Sports Pavilion. In response to a question regarding Sports Club insurance cover for the solar panel array, Cllr Bush reported that he is dealing with the broker.

10. To receive a report from the Huntick Road Cycleway Working Group (for purposes of report only)

No formal report. Cllr Huggins commented that the intended letter to Lord Rockley is still to be drafted.

11. To receive a report from the Village Environment Working Group (for purposes of report only)

A summary report had been made available to all members ahead of this meeting and the contents were noted. A copy is associated at Appendix 4 to these minutes.

Members’ particular attention was drawn to the following proposed initiatives on the Recreation Ground:

BMX area – It is intended to use the spoil heap which accumulated from the path work to create this. Gould Groundworks Ltd have kindly offered to contribute a free day of landscaping work. This may be supplemented with a further paid day of work within the de-minimus limit. If this is insufficient a proposal to approve a further sum may be considered by the Council.

Dog exercise area – this is subject to a separate proposal. See minute 14 below.

Outdoor exercise equipment – this is still being researched. An initial quote has been obtained from one supplier for 10 items to be supplied and installed for circa £15K. The possibility of applying for National Lottery grant funding is also being explored.

It was also noted that BCP Council may have some surplus equipment they wish to dispose of. Enquiries have been made with them.

LM Angels suggested “community garden” – Cllr Morgan has scheduled a meeting with Dr J Holland on Friday 30th July. This is subject of a separate item – see minute 15 below.

Area of the rec at the head of Hannams Close – It was noted that the area to the east of the tarmac path is the responsibility of a management company for the Hannams Close development. A meeting is to take place between a representative of the company and Cllrs Morgan, Colvey and Bush to discuss a sketch design prepared by Cllr Morgan to tidy-up this area. This includes a proposed bin enclosure and alternative security arrangements to replace the bund.

It was also noted that the left over piles of stone in the Eldons Drove car park will be spread by Gould Groundworks Ltd.

Cllr Morgan reported that the expenditure to date had been approximately £24K, and that a further £31K is forecast for 2021-22.

Foxhills Open Space – review of trees & shrubs. Cllr Huggins reported that he and Cllr Colvey had carried out an initial review of the trees & shrubs on the Foxhills Open Space. He will now contact a tree surgeon to join them to undertake a more in-depth review.

12. To receive and note an update on the initiative to widen the provision of superfast broadband within the parish (for the purposes of report only)

No formal report. Cllr Huggins commented that Michael Tomlinson MP is still working on the appropriate Government Minister to press for a reversal of the decision that Lytchett Matravers is not eligible for the latest Gigabit scheme.

13. To receive an update on Defib provision (for purposes of report only)

Cllr Huggins reported that Aster Housing are to schedule an electrician to do the cabinet installation. Everything has been agreed on the legal side.

14. To receive and consider a proposal for fencing of a Dog Exercise Area on the Recreation Ground and to consider competitive quotations to carry out the work. Proposed: K Morgan

Cllr Morgan referred to a proposal paper which had been made available to members ahead of the meeting. A copy is associated at Appendix 5 to these minutes. He summarised the background and reasoning for this proposal – which is to provide a secure exercise area for dogs of approximately half an acre which will keep them separate from the adjacent proposed BMX area, as well as the other recreational facilities around the Recreation Ground. He remarked that his research had revealed that there are an increasingly large number of dedicated dog exercise areas elsewhere.

He reported that only one of the three identified suppliers has responded yet with a quote for the required land clearance and supply / installation of fencing.

After some debate it was agreed to adjust the design to include only one 3m gate, but to retain both pedestrian gates. It was also agreed to approve in principal expenditure of up to £12K, subject to obtaining two further quotes for consideration at the August F&GP Cttee meeting. Actions: (i) two further quotes to be obtained, (ii) matter to be added to the draft agenda of the August F&GP Cttee meeting.

15. To consider a response to the Lytchett Matravers Angels regarding potential use of their surplus funds.

The Chairman reminded members that the Lytchett Matravers Angels intended to wind-up, but have approximately £5K of unspent publicly raised / donated funds. They had approached the Parish Council with a suggestion that they spend a proportion of this on a memorial garden and commissioned sculpture on a subject related to Covid victims and carers, and asking the Parish Council if they had a suitable location for such a garden. This matter was initially considered by the Finance & General Purposes Committee. The consensus view of the council was not supportive of this suggested use of the donated funds, and that they would preferably be used for a more practical purpose for the benefit of local residents, or to provide additional support for those in need. There were also separate concerns about the ongoing draw on public funding to maintain the proposed garden.

The position of the council, as described above, was reviewed by those present. Concerns about the unsuitability of the LM Angels’ suggested use of the funds were reiterated. The following options were considered:

  1. Benches and picnic area – circa £2K
  2. A further defibrillator – circa £2.5K
  3. Pass the funds to the Parish Council to hold in some form of ring fenced account for release to disadvantaged residents in response to any future crisis.

After some further discussion it was agreed to write to the Lytchett Matravers Angels to report that the view of the council is that it may be best for the Parish Council to hold the money against future needs of local residents. Cllr Bush indicated that he would prepare such a letter. Action: Cllr Bush to write to the LM Angels accordingly.

16. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
BT Office phone and broadband – June 21 52.40 10.48 62.88
Octopus Energy Sports Pavilion electricity charge for period 1st- 30th June 2021 13.80 0.69 14.49
Water2Business Allotment water supply – 16 Dec 2020-16 June 2021 215.46 0.00 215.46
SSE Car Park Lighting Quarter 2 2021-2022 16.32 0.80 17.12
Greenall Landscapes Completion of pharmacy steps project 3747.03 0.00 3747.03
HMRC Replacement for stopped cheque 101357 (PAYE/ENI Q4 2020/21) 990.72 0.00 990.72
HMRC PAYE/ENI Q1 2021/22 988.92 0.00 988.92

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payments already made.

17. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

To Whom For What Net VAT Total
T Watton Clerk’s salary – July (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 969.41 0.00 969.41
Dorset County Pension Fund LGPS pension contrib July 2021 383.38 0.00 383.38
T Homer Handyman duties June 2021 407.25 0.00 407.25
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – June 21 (inv 10810412) 303.49 60.69 364.18
Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – July 21 (inv 10812314) 303.49 60.69 364.18
Idverde Ltd Grass cutting, southern end of rec. Inv 10810304, cuts 6th and 20th May 21 48.00 9.60 57.60
Idverde Ltd Grass cutting, southern end of rec. Inv 10810305, cuts 7th and 22nd June 21 48.00 9.60 57.60
Replay Maintenance Ltd Astro – regular half yearly maintenance visit 30 June 2021. 470.25 94.05 564.30
DAPTC Annual Subscription correction / adjustment 2021/22 0.22 0.00 0.22
Printerbase Ltd Black toner cartridge 56.66 11.33 67.99
Pamela White Accountancy Services Internal Audits, payroll services and year end processes for four years – 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21

















H2-ECO Ltd Supply & installation of Daikin FTXM60R wall mounted inverter & controller at Sports Pavilion. 3332.50 666.50 3999.00
H2-ECO Ltd Supply & install array of 26 solar panels and inverter at Sports Pavilion. 8796.00 439.80 9235.80
T Watton Reimbursement of expenses incurred on behalf of LMPC 74.75 5.67 80.42
Gould Groundworks Ltd Completion of Foxhills Open Space paths – east side 12,104.81 2420.96 14,525.77

It wasclarified that the two sums for payment to H2-ECO Ltd are gross figures and will trigger receipt of a total of £18023.87 of grant funding from Low Carbon Dorset.It RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

18. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month (for purposes of report only).

Members noted that they have been reminded to book places on the DAPTC online training session covering the new code of conduct / new online declaration of interests process / new DC complaints procedure, and to inform the Clerk of this.

Courses completed: Cllrs Attridge, Barker, Bush, Huggins and Korenevsky.

Places booked: Cllrs Morgan & Webb.

Still to confirm booking dates: Cllrs Abbott, Carswell and Colvey.

19. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents (for purposes of report only).

There were none.

20. Correspondence (for purposes of report only).

Cllr Morgan advised that he had been contacted by staff at Lytchett Minster School and he would be picking up the artwork for the skate ramp on 29th July 2021.

Cllr Colvey reported that he had received a communication advising that on 30th October 2021 there would be a showing of the film “Amy” in the Village Hall as part of the Purbeck Film Festival.

21. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next full council meeting is scheduled to take place online on Wednesday 25th August 2021 at 7pm in the village hall.

The meeting closed at 21:08 Annotated by/on ……………………………..Signed by……………………



Dorset Ward Cllrs Report for July Full Council meeting.

Dorset Councillors report July 2021

Much time has been spent on discussing amendments and changes to the Local Plan, There have been many suggestions and questions which has delayed the second iteration which will be up for consultation in Spring 2021. The Purbeck Local Plan is still with the inspector, it appears that she has indicated that if some of the figures are now out of date, it might be better to ‘ditch’ the Purbeck Plan altogether. Dorset Planners are not keen on this as the background work has been done and many of the policies can be directly transferred to the Dorset Plan.

Although Dorset is getting many complaints from Green Groups, that the Climate Change Ecological Disaster Plan is not strong enough, and small steps are going on. -in cleaning up Dorsets own transport fleet- making them more energy efficient and replacing with hybrid and more economical vehicles. It is estimated that only 1% of Carbon Use in Dorset is directly caused by Dorset Council though they have much influence on other users. Dorset inherited many buildings and land assets from earlier Councils, They are being sold off where not convertible or necessary. However some are listed and redevelopment is tricky. The newish west Dorset Council Offices known as South Walks house has proved surplus, even though more modern than Old County Hall. BUT Old County Hall is a listed building and difficult to alter whereas there may be other uses for South Walks House – they are investigating the legal issues to convert to affordable flats, while keeping the Library. Neither big Council buildings are large enough to hold a Full Council meeting in a social distanced manner, so at the moment with rising infection rates we have reverted to virtual meetings making ‘minded to’ recommendations for the Legal and Exec officers to execute under emergency powers. Many Parish and Town Councils are being asked if they wish to buy or take over the running of Dorset Assets. Front facing advice desks are being put in Libraries rather than at the main Council Offices. Westport house will no longer be an advice centre but enquiries can be handled in person at Wareham or Wimborne Library.

How is this affecting Lytchett Matravers regards the library and youth shed? It seems a long time ago I talked to the County officers about this.

The Waste system has been looked at in detail to make it more efficient. A presentation set of slides has been circulated to Parish councillors. There was a serious fire in the waste vehicle depot in the spring and 32 collection trucks were ruined, HGV and Refuse Lorries are a problem as Replacements are not readily available, there is a shortage of smaller recycling collection truck which can manage glass and other recyclables separately. This has affected Slepe Green caravan park where access is not big enough for larger trucks. Although the computer system is now easily accessed for failed collections it does seem problem occur either with cars parked not allowing access for the bin lorries or a reluctance to reverse into small cul de sac. The Upton area has had some delayed collections due to vehicles breakdowns and shortage of staff.

Temporary housing which is moveable is proving popular in Wareham and Bridport. The Housing list is being reviewed and renewed all people currently on the list are being asked to reapply, this may remove some people who are not really actively looking for housing and give a more accurate figure for housing need.

The County Farms estate are being examined to see if tenants can be encouraged to put in Solar Panels on buildings and land, or trees planted and farming made carbon neutral. However as existing tenants are in control for the length of the tenancy these measures cannot be imposed only encouraged. Research is being investigated about the Carbon Capture capacity of new trees versus established grassland, natural regeneration may be quicker and more effective than buying in young trees. We are surveying tenants to see what efforts they are making in this area.

Most discussion in the local media has been about the Plant Life Verge Management plan, which involves cutting all suburban and rural verges later in the year to allow wildflowers to go to seed and to cut less often to allow habitat for wildlife. Many residents in other villages have been complaining about the ‘Scruffy look’. It is still important to report on the website if any verge at a junction restricts visibility and should be trimmed back.

Fly tipping is still a problem in most rural areas though close scrutiny of several tips has recently allowed prosecutions to be successful, as the rubbish had addresses and receipt in the mix.

There are some queries about the level of genuine openness and democracy in Dorset as it is using the Cabinet model of government where open debate of issues is precluded. West Dorset and Purbeck Councillors would like to investigate the Committee method of governance which was used in those old District areas, to the public it seem more open and easier to understand. There was a heated debate at full council, meeting, but it was decided that a report would be produced about the issue before the next election. This may just be kicking the issue into the long grass.

Dorset Cllr Alex Brenton.


Village Centre Working Group – Summary Report. July 2021

Working Group Objective:

To provide a safe green integrated route through the village from Ancott Close, across the Recreation Ground, along Eldons Drove and to the Primary School (Eldons Drove Lane).

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins


1. Revised paths between the Library and shops linking to new High Street crossing

2. Wider path across Recreation Ground around Rocket Park to a graded, wide path through the trees to Eldons Drove; safety barriers at end of path (Pond Walk)

3. Marked pedestrian paths and traffic signage on Eldons Drove

4. School Walk – Path to access the rear of the primary school field from Eldons Drove

5. Pharmacy Steps & surroundings – improvements/landscaping


  • DC Highways agreement on type of High Street crossing point and exact spec.
  • DC Highways confirmation plan is included in 2021/22 LTP
  • DC Highways confirmation of pathway spec. along Eldons Drove and inclusion in 2021/22 LTP

Status/Next Steps:

· LMPC to write to affected Eldons Drove houses advising of new pathway plan.

· Steps construction COMPLETED – Planting still to be completed.


Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0
Forecast 8 [1] 2
Total 8 2


Climate & Ecological Emergency Working Group – Summary Report, July 2021

Working Group Objective:

Following the Parish Council declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, identify, assess, and implement measures within the parish to reduce the carbon footprint of both LMPC and the community.

Working Group Participants:

Rob Carswell, Ralph Watts, Alf Bush, Beverly Barker, Roger Ong, Rosemary Russell, Adrian Russell, Max Scott, Matt Alexander


1. Sports Pavilion upgrade with Low Carbon Dorset (LCD). The ‘whole building’ upgrade includes new doors, cavity wall & loft insulation, Solar PV, ASHP (Air source heat pump) to replace space & water heating system.


Co-ordinating the works around pavilion users.

Status/Next Steps:

Works already complete:

  • Air-to-air heat pump (to provide instant heat in main user space).
  • Solar array (26 PV panels)

Works w/c 2/8/21:

  • Replacement of old, inefficient radiators & pipework
  • New thermally efficient doors, including fire door to comply with Building Regulations

Works to come:

  • Replacement of gas boiler with ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump)
  • Fit PV diverter unit to directly heat hot water from PV-generated energy
  • Installing loft and cavity wall insulation

Works scheduled to be completed by mid-August

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 0 0 ?
Forecast 0 34(1) ?
Total 0 34 ?

(1) Low Carbon Dorset grant = 40% contribution.


Village Environment Working Group, Summary report – July 2021

Working Group Objective:

To identify areas of concern/opportunity within the physical environment of the Village and propose responses.

Working Group Participants:

Ken Morgan, Alf Bush, Andrew Huggins, Karen Korenevsky, Rob Carswell, Vicky Abbot (+ co-opted advisers Geoff Holland, Dr John Holland)


1. Foxhills Paths – Repairs/Reconstruction completed.total cost c£25k.

2. Rec – BMX track layout designed – met volunteer machine driver/contractor and ready to commence.. Quotations being invited for Exercise Trail/Outdoor Gym and Dog Exercise Enclosure Fencing. Agreed 1.2m fencing + hedge planting adequate, not full 1.8m professional dog training specification. Developing detail designs for Boules Pitches, Hannams Close entrance enhancement (incl bin enclosure) + other landscaping opportunities and stormwater attenuation.

3. Sports Area adjacent school on Dorset Council land. Joint project with School and Sports Club – Awaiting Dorset Council to respond with meeting date.

4. Wareham Rd/School traffic/parking – ideas developing in conjunction with Sports Area.

5. Trees – Management, Protection, New planting, Dedication +Sponsorship. Audit proposed.

6. Foxhills Green tree cutting back policy to be developed.

7. Play Area winter surface problems. Rocket Park ok till 21-22 winter. Foxhills to be addressed.

8. Eldons Drove Pond – Delay due to Japanese Knotweed. Treatment started.

9. Ongoing – Highways liaison, Monitor Footpaths, GGs, Street scene improvements, Biodiversity.

10. Finger post Renovations – Blaneys Corner pilot project – all arms replaced by Friday 25th-Roundel awaited. Private sponsorship. Intention to train volunteers and seek further sponsorship.

11. LM Angels – Cooperation/funding – see separate Agenda item.

12. Guerilla Gardeners – ongoing path clearance/maintenance. Visible and appreciated.

13. Lime Kiln Rd verge tree planting.


· Dorset Council. Highways.

Status/Next Steps:

· Quotations for Rec projects – (Exercise equipment + dog hedge/fencing).

· Pond Area – Weed Treatment.

· Work up designs for Sports Area, Boules, Hannams/Rec entrance+ Rec landscaping/tree planting.

· GG projects – ongoing.

Financial Forecast:

(£000’s, excluding VAT)

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
Expense to date 1.5 24
Forecast 31 ?
Total 1.5 55 ?



The PC are aware of the health hazards of dogs running free on sports pitches. Signs around the pitches advise owners to keep their dogs on leads. The space west of the path is referred to as the dog walk area. However, it is common to see dogs running free, chasing balls etc across the pitches. Enforcement is rare, or possibly non-existent.

The Village Environment Working Group have devised a number of projects which they would like to implement around the Rec – mostly associated with exercise and play. Some of these activity areas, eg the BMX track abut, or arguably overlap with the existing dog area. Free running dogs and BMX riding will not happily co-exist – nor would dogs be welcome in most play and exercise spaces.

Therefore we propose to fence off an area of approximately half an acre abutting the Eldons Drove car park. This would be specifically for exercising dogs off lead. The fencing would be 1.2m high, 50mm square galvanised mesh on straining wires between round timber posts, all to comply with BS 1722-2:2000. The compound would be 70m long with galvanised metal gates , 3m wide and lockable for maintenance access + a sprung personnel gate. These would be provided at each end. The new fence would be supplemented with hedge planting.

Quotations to fit the fencing have been invited from 3 contractors but to date (28th July), only 1 has responded with a price. They are all local firms and all appear keen to do the work. It would be improper to reveal that quotation tll all 3 are received.

I therefore propose that the PC authorise a maximum expenditure of £12000 to include the fencing, gates and associated shrub clearance along the west boundary, pending receipt of all 3 x quotations. Final approval to accept can then be granted at the next F+GP meeting.

Cllr Ken Morgan (on behalf of the VEWG)

28th July 2021

Full Minutes 210728 approved.docx

Full Council minutes 28th July 2021