FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE
Meeting held on Wednesday August 8th 2018, at 7.00 p.m. in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall, High St, Lytchett Matravers
PRESENT: C Wood (Chair), A Bush, M Colvey, K Norris, J Taylor, R Watts, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk)
Public participation. There was none.
1. APOLOGIES. Cllrs B Barker, R Carswell, A Cottman, A Huggins, and P Webb.
2. TO RECEIVE THE ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE FOR THE CHAIRMAN OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE FOR 2018/19. It was noted that this had already been received.
3. TO RECEIVE THE ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE FOR THE VICE-CHAIRMAN OF THE FINANCE & POLICY COMMITTEE FOR 2018/19.
Duly signed. RESOLVED.
4. DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDERATION OF REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011.
There were none.
5. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE & POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 18TH JULY 2018. These were ACCEPTED as a true record and signed by the Committee Chairman.
6. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS OF PAST SUBJECT MATTERS. The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]
i. F&P Cttee Minute 12, 6th June 2011. Security of council papers & records. One Council minute book is still with Cllr Bush. It was RESOLVED at the August 2018 meeting that Cllr Bush would approach a local historian about what she may be able to do to capture relevant detail of interest before the book is deposited with the Dorset History Centre archive. Carried forward.
ii. F&P Cttee Minute 6, 9th Oct 2017 – To consider a proposal to write off Sports Club currently outstanding debt for Lytchett Astro repairs. In view of the recent changes to the status of the Lytchett Matravers Sports Club it was RESOLVED to DISCHARGE this item.
iii. E&A Cttee Minute 10, 8th May 2017: Outstanding risk assessments: At the July 2018 meeting it had been noted that Cllr Wood had produced the risk assessment for Club Hall. It was also noted that Cllr Carswell had agreed to take over responsibility for preparing a risk assessment for Old School Green. Carried forward
iv. E&A Cttee minute 5.4 6th Nov 2017 Old School Green / War Memorial. The Parish Clerk has again contacted Mr Mills to remind him about the task to arrange for soil to be delivered to fill the depression in the ground. Carried forward.
v. F&GP Cttee minute 19, 14th March 2018 – making good the area around the new bus shelter in Wareham Rd. This work has now been completed. DISCHARGED
vi. F&GP Cttee, 13 June 2018 – Q&A session with Purbeck District Council Community Safety officer and Anti-social Behaviour Reduction Officer. An analysis of the incidents and costs related to vandalism in recreation ground and Rocket Park Play area were requested by these officers. The Parish Clerk has provided them with this and has subsequently sent 2 chasers for a response indicating how the matters will be taken forward. In the light of this it was RESOLVED to seek a response from a higher level at PDC with copies to the Parish Council’s District Council representatives. Action: Parish Clerk to act accordingly.
vii. F&GP Cttee, Minute 26, 13 June 2018 – refurbishment of Landers Reach Roundabouts. As resolved, the Parish Clerk has placed an order for this work with Poole Business Services. It will be carried out in the autumn when conditions for planting are more suitable. Carried Forward
viii.F&GP Cttee, 18th July 2018 – Damage to two items of play equipment at Rocket Park Play area: Replacement ropes & chains have been ordered. In the meantime the “Slingshot” has been taken out of service and the Huck Swinger has been made safe by Sutcliffe Play South West Ltd. Members noted this and wondered if a progress update could be obtained from Sutcliffe Play. Action: Parish Clerk to contact Sutcliffe Play accordingly.
ix. Planning application responses sent to PDC and reported as “not yet determined” by PDC at the November LMPC Planning Committee meeting:
Planning application 6/2018/0063 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Ltd & Morrish Builders. Land at Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers. Erection of 46 dwellings (including affordable homes), new vehicular access via Huntick Road, associated landscaping, drainage & all other development works. PASS shows that PDC has still not yet determined this application. Despite the Clerk’s written chasers to PDC Planning, they have still not yet responded to the Council’s request to begin discussions with both parties regarding the amenity aspects, or to its comment that the Parish Council would like to ensure that the developers speak to Andrew Bradley, DCC Highways Engineer, to ensure that the plans to provide the cycle way are incorporated into the development proposal. As a result of this, on 16th July the Parish Clerk spoke to the relevant Planning Officer at PDC and was informed that the Officer will contact DCC Highways for their comments on the matter. It was proposed at the meeting on 8th August that the council opens a dialogue direct with the developers. To this end Cllr Colvey will provide Cllrs Bush and Huggins with the email contact details he holds for them. Action: Cllr Colvey to forward the details to Cllrs Bush and Huggins accordingly.
Planning application 6/2018/0216 Mr M Nuttall & Mrs C Stockton. Bennic Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HP. Conversion of existing barn to a dwelling and demolition of 2 additional barns. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0194 Miss Wendy Meaden. Plough Point Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erection of agricultural barn and adjacent farm building. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0252 Mr Andrew Hill. 1 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BG. Form a dropped kerb & vehicular access to property from the High Street. Installation of gates for new vehicular access. Install replacement and some new fencing. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0245 Mr Kevin Gurr, Sunnyside Farm Wimborne Road Lytchett Matravers BH16 6HQ. Replace existing garage. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0295. Mr Hector Hickmott. 10 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DP. Single storey side and rear extensions. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0287. Nest Homes. Land adjacent to Wessex Water Reservoir, Purbeck Road, Lytchett Matravers. Construction of 25 dwellings and associated access, car parking and landscaping. PASS shows that PDC has still not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0297. Mrs H Campbell. 8 Purbeck Close, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DE. Raise roof to form first floor accommodation with first floor window in front elevation, balcony on rear elevation, dormer on side (east) elevation and rooflights. Rear extension and porch canopy on side (west) elevation. PASS shows that PDC has still not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0282. Mr & Mrs David Shortis. Little Garth, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erect outbuilding & construct proposed access road to outbuilding. PASS shows that this application has now been withdrawn.
Planning Application 6/2018/0317 Mr & Mrs Lindon. Woodstock, 9 Ballard Close, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6EW. Erect a conservatory to rear. PASS shows that this application has now been approved.
Planning application 6/2018/0316 Mr A & Mrs R Green. Westcroft Stud Farm, Castle Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BZ. Single storey side extension with store room in roof above. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0334 Mr & Mrs Griffiths. 1 Charborough Close Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DJ. Erect single storey front extension and two storey side extension. Create new vehicular access and alterations to existing. No status is currently showing on PASS for this item.
7. TO RECEIVE AND NOTE THE 2018/2019 YEAR TO DATE BANK RECONCILIATION.
A copy of the bank reconciliation is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this.
8. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER A REPORT COVERING 2018/19 YEAR TO DATE COUNCIL INCOME AND EXPENDITURE. The report having been circulated to all members it was RESOLVED to accept and approve this. It was noted that a tracking report is now included showing expenditure on Sports Club matters and it was suggested that for clarity and convenience this would be shown on its own dedicated report page in future. Action: Parish Clerk to set this up accordingly.
9. To consider planning application 6/2018/0374 Mr Kim White. 3 Hopmans Close, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6AY. Erect detached dwelling and driveway including dropped kerb to existing property. NO OBJECTION.
10. To consider planning application 6/2018/0386 Mr Nicholas Rubenstein. Highgrove, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HH. Variation of condition 2 of planning permission 6/2016/0345 (Demolish existing house and erect 2 new dwellings) to amend hard surfacing and landscaping to front of properties. The Parish Council members noted that the grounds for its original objection were not addressed. However, the members noted that this proposed variation to condition 2 restores the passing place on Eldons Drove – although this is with concern that this may be used as a parking bay. With regard to the hard landscaping, the members noted that this is being addressed by PDC in accordance with the original Planning Permission.
11. To consider planning application 6/2018/0362 Nicholas Rubenstein. 86 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DT. Demolish existing buildings, erection of new building to include a ground floor shop and coffee shop, 2 ground floor flats, with 2 flats above, and a detached single storey building at the rear comprising 2 flats together with associated access and parking. The Council members wished to register an OBJECTION on the grounds that the proposal includes insufficient parking provision – in that there are only 6 parking spaces (plus one visitor space) for six 1 or 2 bedroom dwellings. The situation is made worse by the nature of the road and the immediate proximity to the school – especially in the light of the petition to Dorset County Council and the resultant recent discussions with DCC Highways Dept to limit parking space on Wareham Rd.
12. To consider planning application 6/2018/0369 Mr Nathan Thomas. 15 Prospect Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6ED. Single storey rear extension. NO OBJECTION.
13. To authorise David Bevan MRTPI AMIMA, Managing Director of HLF Planning to give an independent view of protection offered by both Local Green Space designation and Fields in Trust so that the Council chooses the best route for protecting Foxhills Open Space and any future such spaces for an estimated cost of £500 plus VAT. It was RESOLVED to authorise this work; and to commence this with a meeting between Mr Bevan and Cllrs Norris and Watts to clarify what Local Green Space Designation could achieve in order to develop a fuller brief for the work.
14. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER A PROPOSAL TO DEVELOP A DETAILED SPECIFICATION FOR RE-MODELLING AND UPGRADING OF LYTCHETT ASTRO ENTRANCE TRACKWAY AREA AND ASTRO SURROUNDING LAND. Cllr Bush referred to the report which he had prepared and which had been circulated to all members in advance of the meeting (copy attached at Appendix 2 to these minutes). Members noted that this proposed specification has buy-in from the Primary School. It was RESOLVED to approve further work to ascertain costs of undertaking the work included in the proposed specification.
15. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER A PROPOSAL TO DEVELOP A DETAILED SPECIFICATION FOR PATHWAY AND GATE TO SCHOOL PREMISES VIA ELDONS DROVE LANE. Cllr Bush referred to the report which he had prepared and which had been circulated to all members in advance of the meeting (see Appendix 2 to these minutes). Members noted this proposed specification and it was RESOLVED to approve the work to ascertain costs of undertaking the work included in the proposed specification.
16. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER A PROPOSAL TO APPOINT A SOLICITOR TO UNDERTAKE VARIOUS LEGAL WORK, BASED ON 3 QUOTATIONS OBTAINED BY A WORKING GROUP OF 3 COUNCIL MEMBERS. Members noted the three shortlisted firms of solicitors and the recommendation from Cllrs Bush, Colvey and Watts who had undertaken the research work and meetings with the solicitors concerned. It was RESOLVED to accept the recommendation to appoint Ellis Jones Solicitors LLP.
17. TO CONSIDER A PROPOSAL TO ERECT THE GEORGE VI CORONATION MEMORIAL PLAQUE IN ROW PARK CEMETERY, TOGETHER WITH PLANTING A MOUNT ATLAS CEDAR AS NOTED ON THE PLAQUE. IN ADDITION ERECT A NEW PLAQUE IN THE SAME LOCATION COMMEMORATING THE 65TH YEAR OF THE THRONE OF ELIZABETH II. Members viewed a photograph of the George VI Coronation Memorial Plaque which had been recovered. Noting that the tree mentioned on the plaque is very large indeed when fully grown, some discussion took place concerning the merits of looking for somewhere suitable to install the plaque alone, or together with a second one commemorating the 65th year of Queen Elizabeth’s accession to the throne, but without a tree. Since the Plaque and tree had originally been on church owned land, Cllr Wood indicated that she would speak to Revd. Partridge to see if St Mary’s would be interested in having the plaque somewhere back on Church land. Action: Cllr Wood to speak to Revd Partridge accordingly.
18. TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER THE CONTENT OF REPORTS FROM THE LEADER OF THE WORKING GROUPS AS FOLLOWS:
Neighbourhood Plan – An update report circulated before the meeting was summarised by Cllr Bush. Regarding the section of the report concerning green spaces it was agreed that this should not be limited just to land owned by the Parish Council, but should include such space owned by others. A minor amendment to the final section of the report related to the recreation ground car park area was agreed and the revised version is attached at Appendix 3 to these minutes.
Youth Hall – Nothing further to add to the report since that provided under minute 7 of the Full Council meeting on 25th July 2018, which dealt with the transfer of the land from DCC.
Library – Nothing to report.
High Street Shared Space – *
Rec. Path – *
Rec. Pavilions – * Items marked * are to be discussed in an initial planning session between Council members with an expert external advisor on 23rd August.
Eldons Drove Lane – Covered within item 15 above.
Astro Expansion – Covered within item 14 above.
New Sports Field – Nothing to report.
Huntick Road Cycleway – covered within the report from Cllr Huggins at appendix 5 to these minutes, the content of which was noted.
Sports Club Governance – It was noted that the outstanding bills had now been paid and the building is insured. Cllr Webb has set up a further meeting of the Sports Club Committee for 20th August, a copy of the agenda for which is attached at Appendix 4 to these minutes. Progress towards SiLCA – Nothing further to report. Item 19 below also refers.
House style benches – No report. It was noted by members that a house style and preferred supplier had been established and three benches installed in accordance with this. Further identical benches can be obtained as required. DISCHARGED. Cllr Huggins’ request for the budgeting of a further £1100 to replace three more benches in 2019/20 was duly noted.
Bollards / Dolly Posts – No report. The investigation into the request for a parking bay adjacent to the Foxhills Open Space was noted and it was confirmed that the members’ view was that it could not be reasonably justified. It was suggested that any dolly posts installed there may be set back some way from the road without compromising the security of the open space as a whole. Regarding the gaps in provision of dolly posts on the recreation ground, it was felt that the security of the recreation ground was a priority and so these gaps should be closed by installation of timber posts to match the existing ones as quickly as possible. Action: Parish Clerk to discuss this with the Village Handyman urgently.
Recreation Ground Ball Court – No report.
Broadband Improvement – No report.
Mobile phone signal – No report.
19. TO NOTE THE ARRANGEMENTS FOR LOCUM COVER FOR THE PARISH CLERK FOR A PERIOD OF UP TO 6 WEEKS TO ENABLE HIM TO GATHER AND PREPARE THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CILCA QUALIFICATION. The Parish Clerk reported that arrangements had been made with the agreed Locum Clerk, who will provide coverage of core responsibilities from 17th September until the commencement of the October school half term break on 23rd October 2018. An initial briefing meeting was held on Tuesday 7th August and a further one will be held in early September.
20. TO CONSIDER A PROPOSAL OF ITEMS FOR INCLUSION IN THE NEXT ARTICLE FOR THE PARISH MAGAZINE. It was agreed to ask Cllr Huggins to prepare an article on the work he is leading on the broadband provision for the outlying areas of the Parish.
21. TO NOTE CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED.
The Parish Clerk reported on the following items of correspondence:
– Letters of thanks from Purbeck Citizens Advice Bureau and Purbeck Film Festival for the grants awarded by the Parish Council in 2018.
– An email from a resident of Landers Reach drawing attention to the height and reach of trees on the Foxhills Open Space which are now touching the roof of their property. The Parish Clerk reported that he has arranged for the maintenance contractor of the Open Space to provide a report and costed recommendation.
Meeting closed at 21:15
Annotated by/on …………………………. Approved by/on ………………………