FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE
Meeting held on Wednesday July 18th 2018, at 7.00 p.m. in the Methodist Church, Wareham Rd, Lytchett Matravers
PRESENT: M Colvey, A Cottman, R Carswell, K Norris, J Taylor, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk)
Public participation. There was none.
In the absence of Cllr Wood, Cllr Norris took the chair.
1. APOLOGIES. Cllrs A Bush, B Barker, A Huggins, R Watts, P Webb, and C Wood.
2. To elect the Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.
Cllr Wood was nominated and had indicated her willingness to stand. RESOLVED.
3. To receive the acceptance of office for the Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.
In view of Cllr Wood’s absence this matter was deferred to the next meeting of this committee.
4. To elect the Vice-Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.
Cllr Watts was nominated and had indicated his willingness to stand. RESOLVED.
5. To receive the acceptance of office for the Vice-Chairman of the Finance & Policy Committee for 2018/19.
In view of Cllr Watts’ absence this matter was deferred to the next meeting of this committee.
6. Declarations of Pecuniary Interest; and consideration of requests for Special Dispensations under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011.
Cllr Norris declared an interest in item 13 (planning application 66/2018/0334) as his property is nearby. He took no part in discussing this item.
7. To receive and approve minutes of the Finance & Policy Committee meeting held on 13th June 2018. These were ACCEPTED as a true record and signed by the meeting Chairman.
8. To receive and consider reports of past subject matters. The following matters were included in the Clerk’s report of past subject matters. [nb: comments made or decisions taken at the meeting are shown in italics]
i. F&P Cttee Minute 12, 6th June 2011. Security of council papers & records. One Council minute book is still with Cllr Bush, who had been making an electronic copy. In view of the time which has elapsed it was RESOLVED that Cllr Norris would ask Cllr Bush how this matter should be brought to a conclusion. Carried forward.
ii. F&P Cttee Minute 6, 9th Oct 2017 – To consider a proposal to write off Sports Club currently outstanding debt for Lytchett Astro repairs. It had previously been noted that the current level of Sports Club income will not cover this and so it was resolved to review the issue again at a later date. Carried forward.
iii. E&A Cttee Minute 10, 8th May 2017: Outstanding risk assessments: It was noted that Cllr Wood had now produced the risk assessment for Club Hall. It was also noted that Cllr Carswell had agreed to take over responsibility for preparing a risk assessment for Old School Green.
iv. E&A Cttee minute 5.4 6th Nov 2017 Old School Green / War Memorial. The Parish Clerk has again contacted Mr Mills to remind him about the task to arrange for soil to be delivered to fill the depression in the ground. Carried forward
v. F&GP Cttee minute 19, 14th March 2018 – making good the area around the new bus shelter in Wareham Rd. The Parish Clerk reported that he had sought three contractor quotations for this work and whilst one contractor had subsequently declined, two quotes had been received. Both were considered and it was RESOLVED to accept the quotation from IdVerde. Action: Parish Clerk to contact the company to request that they action this as soon as possible.
vi. F&GP Cttee, 13 June 2018 – Q&A session with Purbeck District Council Community Safety officer and Anti-social Behaviour Reduction Officer. Firstly, the Parish Clerk reminded members that he had prepared and forwarded to the two PDC officers an analysis of the incidents and costs related to vandalism in the recreation ground and Rocket Park Play area, in accordance with their request. As no response to this had yet been received, the Parish Clerk had this week sent them an email request for a progress update. Secondly, the Parish Clerk reported to members that within the 24 hours prior to this meeting, two examples had been discovered of damage to supporting ropes for play equipment at Rocket Park – affecting the “slingshot” and Huck “Viking Swinger”. Engineers from Sutcliffe Play Southwest had inspected both pieces of equipment and in the case of the former they consider this could be due to normal wear and tear, but in the case of the damage to the ropes on the “Viking Swinger” there is clear evidence that they have been deliberately cut to expose the steel cable core. Members also noted that the damage to the “Slingshot” ropes evidently caused a child to suffer a cut hand. The Parish Clerk advised members that he had reported these incidents to the PDC Community Safety Officer and Anti-social Behaviour Reduction Officer to add to the earlier analysis supplied to them. He also advised that he had obtained quotations from Sutcliffe Play Southwest for replacement ropes / chains for these pieces of equipment, and that in the meantime the company had taken the “Slingshot” out of service and made the “Viking Swinger” safe to use. It was RESOLVED to approve expenditure for the supply and installation of the replacement ropes and chains by Sutcliffe Play Southwest. Action: Parish Clerk to contact the company to arrange for these to be ordered and installed as soon as possible.
vii. F&GP Cttee, Minute 26, 13 June 2018 – refurbishment of Landers Reach Roundabouts. As resolved, the Parish Clerk has placed an order for this work with Poole Business Services. It will be carried out in the Autumn when conditions for planting are more suitable. Carried Forward
viii. Twinning Association Tree: Regarding the replacement of the Twinning Association tree, acknowledging that there had been little success with newly planted specimens, it was proposed that an existing well established tree be re-dedicated for this purpose and the plaque moved accordingly. It was RESOLVED to accept this proposal.
ix. Planning application responses sent to PDC:
Planning application 6/2018/0063 Lewis Wyatt (Construction) Ltd & Morrish Builders. Land at Huntick Road, Lytchett Matravers. Erection of 46 dwellings (including affordable homes), new vehicular access via Huntick Road, associated landscaping, drainage & all other development works. PASS shows that PDC has still not yet determined this application. Despite the Clerk’s written chasers to PDC Planning, they have still not yet responded to the Council’s request to begin discussions with both parties regarding the amenity aspects, or to its comment that the Parish Council would like to ensure that the developers speak to Andrew Bradley, DCC Highways Engineer, to ensure that the plans to provide the cycle way are incorporated into the development proposal. As a result of this, on 16th July the Parish Clerk spoke to the relevant Planning Officer at PDC and was informed that the Officer will contact DCC Highways for their comments on the matter.
Planning Application 6/2018/0189. Mr B. Gosling, 126 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Erect two dormer windows to form habitable roof space. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning Application 6/2018/0212. Mr M. Lister, Quarr Farmhouse, Halls Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6EP. Internal alterations to form WC & cupboard plus install airbrick. PASS shows that PDC has now approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0216 Mr M Nuttall & Mrs C Stockton. Bennic Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6HP. Conversion of existing barn to a dwelling and demolition of 2 additional barns. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0210 Mr Neville Logan. Land off Foxhills Road, Foxhills Road, Lytchett Matravers. Installation of a container to provide secure storage of equipment and a self contained toilet. PASS shows that PDC has refused this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0194 Miss Wendy Meaden. Plough Point Farm, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erection of agricultural barn and adjacent farm building. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application. Members asked the Parish Clerk to request that its written objection be read out at the Planning Committee meeting. Action: Parish clerk to write to Purbeck District Council Planning Department accordingly.
Planning application 6/2018/0209 Mr Paul Biggs. Fair View, Eldons Drove, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HH. Raise part of roof, proposed rear extension at upper ground floor level, rear terrace and external remodelling. PASS shows that PDC has approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0252 Mr Andrew Hill. 1 High Street, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BG. Form a dropped kerb & vehicular access to property from the High Street. Installation of gates for new vehicular access. Install replacement and some new fencing. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application. [NB Application is not visible on PASS because it is currently considered by PDC to be “invalid” due to lack of some technical highways detail. We are advised that PDC are seeking to resolve this matter.]
Planning application 6/2018/0245 Mr Kevin Gurr, Sunnyside Farm Wimborne Road Lytchett Matravers BH16 6HQ. Replace existing garage. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0189 (revised proposal). 126 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DT. Erect two double dormer windows to form habitable roof space. (Position of dormers changed) PASS shows that PDC has approved this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0295. Mr Hector Hickmott. 10 Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DP. Single storey side and rear extensions. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0287. Nest Homes. Land adjacent to Wessex Water Reservoir, Purbeck Road, Lytchett Matravers. Construction of 25 dwellings and associated access, car parking and landscaping. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0297. Mrs H Campbell. 8 Purbeck Close, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6DE. Raise roof to form first floor accommodation with first floor window in front elevation, balcony on rear elevation, dormer on side (east) elevation and rooflights. Rear extension and porch canopy on side (west) elevation. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
Planning application 6/2018/0282. Mr & Mrs David Shortis. Little Garth, Dolmans Hill, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6HP. Erect outbuilding & construct proposed access road to outbuilding. PASS shows that PDC has not yet determined this application.
9. To receive and note the 2018/2019 YEAR to date bank reconciliation.
A copy of the bank reconciliation is attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes. It was RESOLVED to accept and approve this.
10. To receive and consider a report covering 2018/19 year to date council income and expenditure. The report having been circulated to all members it was RESOLVED to accept and approve this.
11. To consider planning application 6/2018/0317 Mr & Mrs Lindon. Woodstock, 9 Ballard Close, Lytchett Matravers, BH16 6EW. Erect a conservatory to rear. NO OBJECTION.
12. To consider planning application 6/2018/0316 Mr A & Mrs R Green. Westcroft Stud Farm, Castle Farm Road, Lytchett Matravers, Poole, BH16 6BZ. Single storey side extension with store room in roof above. NO OBJECTION.
13. To consider planning application 6/2018/0334 Mr & Mrs Griffiths. 1 Charborough Close Lytchett Matravers BH16 6DJ. Erect single storey front extension and two storey side extension. Create new vehicular access and alterations to existing. NO OBJECTION. However the council members wished to express concern about the vehicle access which is positioned very close to the road junction, and to request that DCC Highways be asked to consider this matter in their consultation response.
14. To receive and approve the 2017/18 year end accounting statements.
The Parish Clerk explained that despite many hours of investigation, including several sessions accompanied by the Parish Clerk during which all input data and calculations have been repeatedly checked, Mrs White has still not been able to identify the source of the balance sheet discrepancy. Her checking processes have also included consultation with a fellow Chartered Accountant, but all to no avail. Members noted that the financial statements concerned are solely internal to the council, and that the cash book entries for the year reconcile to the year-end bank statements. They also noted that the requirements for external reporting and audit (The Annual Governance and Accountability Return), has been completed and is currently with the external auditors.
In an effort to eliminate possible future similar difficulties to those experienced during the 2017/18 year end process, and also to address the possible requirement for Parish & Town Councils to comply with HMRC requirements for digital record keeping in the near future, the Parish Clerk suggested that the Council may wish to consider utilising one of the many bespoke accounting packages which are now being offered specifically for Parish & Town Councils. The members present agreed with this view and RESOLVED to ask the Parish Clerk to research what is available and develop a proposal for council consideration. Action: Parish Clerk to research and develop a proposal accordingly.
15. To receive and consider the content of reports from the leader of the Working Groups as follows:
Neighbourhood Plan – It was verbally reported that action is continuing. A series of meetings is taking place with Steve Boyt, PDC Officer, with the Parish Council’s intention of getting policies from the Neighbourhood Plan included within the Purbeck Local Plan.
Youth Hall – Nothing to report.
Library – It is understood that a meeting is due to take place into two weeks’ time.
High Street Shared Space – covered within the report from Cllr Carswell which is included at appendix two to these minutes.
Rec. Path – covered within the report from Cllr Carswell which is included at appendix two to these minutes.
Rec. Pavilions – covered within the report from Cllr Carswell which is included at appendix two to these minutes.
Eldons Drove Lane – Nothing to report.
New Sports Field – Nothing to report.
Huntick Road Cycleway – Nothing further to report.
Sports Club Governance – covered within the report fromCllr Webb which is included at Appendix 3 to these minutes.
Progress towards SiLCA – The Parish Clerk reported that he had completed had two further learning outcomes within the last 10 days.
House style benches – covered with in the report from Cllr Huggins which is included at appendix four to these minutes.
Bollards / Dolly Posts – covered with in the report from Cllr Huggins which is included at appendix four to these minutes.
Recreation Ground Ball Court – covered with in the report from Cllr Huggins which is included at appendix four to these minutes.
Broadband Improvement – covered with in the report from Cllr Huggins which is included at appendix four to these minutes.
Mobile phone signal – covered with in the report from Cllr Huggins which is included at appendix four to these minutes.
16. To consider a proposal for amendment to the Council’s Grants Policy & Procedures and application form. After a brief discussion it was RESOLVED to approve the amendment to the council’s grants policy and procedures and application form as detailed in the document at appendix five to these minutes.
17. To consider up to two nominees to represent Lytchett Matravers Parish Council on the DAPTC Towns and Larger Councils Committee. It was noted that Cllrs Norris and Watts had volunteered to attend the meetings of the DAPTC Towns and Larger Councils Committee, and therefore it was RESOLVED to accept these as the council’s representatives. It was noted that other members are welcome to act as deputies as and when the need arises.
18. To consider a proposal to seek locum cover for the Parish Clerk for a period of up to 6 weeks to enable him to gather and prepare the evidence for the CiLCA qualification. The meeting chairman explained the background to this proposal that over a number of years it had proved impractical for the council to temporarily reduce the demand upon the Parish Clerk’s time and attention sufficiently to enable him to dedicate sufficient blocks of time to research and prepare the evidence for each of the learning outcomes which make up the CiLCA qualification. Consequently, a proposal has been developed to seek a locum for a period of up to six weeks to enable the Parish Clerk to concentrate on completing it. The Parish Clerk reported that in preparation for this discussion enquiries of other Parish Clerks with whom he regularly networks revealed that the Clerk of Sturminster Marshall Parish Council was willing and able to provide the necessary cover on contract basis with effect from 17th September 2018. After brief discussion it was RESOLVED to accept this proposal and authorise expenditure of up to 15 hours per week from 17th September Until the end of October 2018.
19. To consider a proposal of items for inclusion in the next article for the Parish Magazine. It was agreed to ask Cllr Huggins to prepare an article on the work he has been leading on the broadband provision for the outlying areas of the Parish.
20. To note correspondence received.
The Parish Clerk reported on the following items of correspondence:
– The quarterly magazine from Fields in Trust.
– A letter from the Boundary Commission regarding the consultation on the draft recommendations of the electoral review of Dorset
– A letter from SSE Business Energy advising of an increase in charges for electricity supplied for car park lighting.
– A series of correspondence related to organisation of the Lytchett Matravers flower craft and produce show 2018 – confirming that the Parish Council will provide three allotment prizes again this year, and also setting up the arrangements for judging of the allotments and for the presentation of prizes by the Parish Council Chairman on the day of the show.
– The end of year statement from Prudential International concerning the council’s investment bond.
Meeting closed at 20:40
Annotated by/on …………………………. Approved by/on ………………………
FinanceGenPurposes Committee Minutes 180718 Appendix 5(Policy and Procedure for Grants – amended July 2018).docx
Fin&GenPurposes Committee Minutes 180718 Appendix4 (Project update – 11 July 2018).pdf
Finance & General Purposes Committee Minutes180718 (Appendix 3- Notes of Sports Club Working Group June 26th).docx
Fin&GenPurposes Committee Minutes 180718 Appendix 2(Report – VCRP 1stMeeting).pdf
Fin&GenPurMinutes 180718 Appendix1 (Bank Rec & Accounts summary).xlsx