Minutes of the MEETING OF LYTCHETT MATRAVERS PARISH COUNCIL

Held on Wednesday February 27th 2019 at 7:00 in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall, High St, Lytchett Matravers.

PRESENT were Cllrs A Bush (Chairman), B Barker, A Huggins, K Norris, R Watts, and Mr T Watton (Parish Clerk).

Also present: Dist Cllr W Meaden, and the two Police Community Support Officers serving Lytchett Matravers.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

The two PCSOs reported on the removal of 70+ stickers, some bearing QR codes linked to offensive online material, placed on various structures around the village. Members were urged to remove these immediately if any more are found. The police and District Council Antisocial Behaviour Control Officers are investigating the origin of these.

The officers noted the recent incident of vandalism at the Lytchett Astro which resulted in around £200 of public expenditure to make safe and replace the floodlight control switch at the Astro.

District Councillor’s Report

Cllr Meaden’s and Cllr Webb’s joint report is attached at appendix 1 to these minutes. An update was sought regarding the matter of hedges discussed in the report. Cllr Meaden confirmed that DCC Officers are still seeking to identify the landowner now responsible for the overgrown hedge at Peach Cottage, Foxhills Road.

County Councillor’s Report

No report.

1. To receive and consider apologies for absence – Cllrs A Cottman, R Carswell, P Webb, C Wood and County Cllr P Wharf.

2. TO RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST; AND CONSIDER REQUESTS FOR SPECIAL DISPENSATIONS UNDER SECTION 33 OF THE LOCALISM ACT 2011. There were none.

3. TO receive AND RESOLVE to APPROVE THE Minutes of The Full Council Meeting on 23rd January 2019. It was RESOLVED to approve these as a true record of the meeting. The minutes were then duly signed by the Council Chairman.

4. TO RECEIVE and consider REPORTS OF PAST SUBJECT MATTERS (for purposes of report only).

It was RESOLVED to receive and note the contents of the following report, which had been prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting by the Parish Clerk. The italics below indicates additional comments made by members at the meeting.

  1. Minute 7, 17th January 2018 – research of grant funding for defibrillator by Cllr Cottman. The grant application form has been completed and submitted by the Parish Clerk. A response is awaited.
  2. Minute 10, 25th April 2018 – Security of fences at Jubilee Walk. A meeting was held with Katie Black, DCC Ranger, on 26th February. During this meeting Ms Black confirmed that DCC contractors will carry out a one-off exercise to cut out the middle section of the tree which bridges the path, to re-open it. The remnants will be left to be dealt with by the designated owner. In the meantime, DCC solicitors are seeking to determine the final ownership and responsibility between two parties.
  3. Public Participation, 25th July 2018 – condition of Church Walk. The tree and scrub clearance work by the contractor is now complete and some groundwork by volunteers is continuing. DCC Ranger Black is investigating both ownership and whether there is a designated path width to be maintained. She has advised the Parish Council to monitor the cross-path drainage steps after rainfall. Action: Parish Clerk: Prepare a risk assessment form for regular monitoring by the council.
  4. Public Participation, 26th September 2018 – coronation memorial plaque. At the January meeting it was noted that a corner adjacent to the gate into Row Park Paddock had been identified by the Council as a possible location, and that as this land is owned by the Parish Council and is close to Church Walk and therefore the original location of the plaque, it was considered acceptable by members. It remains to notify the community group concerned that this has been decided as the new location for the plaque so that they can arrange for installation accordingly. Actions: (i) Cllr Bush to provide the History Group leader’s contact details to the Parish Clerk. (ii) Parish Clerk to contact the group to advise on the Council’s decision regarding a suitable location for the plaque. (iii) Parish Clerk to request that the group prepare a written record of the history of the plaque (and associated tree) to include identification of the original location and reasons for relocation, and to pass a copy to the council to retain as a permanent record.
  5. Minute 10, 26th September 2018 – Recreation Ground ball court. The matter of advice from DCA on consultation and fund raising is covered in a separate report from Cllr Huggins. DISCHARGED from this list – reversion to the established reporting system.
  6. Minute 18, 23rd January 2019 – Scribe Accounts package. This has now been installed on the Clerk’s PC and the initial online training session took place on 27th February. The Parish Clerk reported that the next steps are (i) complete the set-up (Budget headings and cost codes) and (ii) to enter all of the 2018/19 transaction data.

5. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS (for purposes of report only) The Chairman commented on the following:

(i) The next Sustrans event concerning the Wareham Road congestion etc issue, which is due on 28th March. Cllr Bush was informed by Sustrans that they have a number of solution options in mind, but no decisions have been taken yet. He was advised by DCC Highways that the budget for possible solutions is considered “reasonable”. Ms Sian Thomas of Sustrans may wish to attend a Council meeting and so it was suggested that the F&GP Committee meeting on 13th March may be most appropriate.

(ii) Cllr Bush had attended the DAPTC larger councils committee meeting, at which a Council member from Wimborne TC indicated that he would be seeking to raise a vote of no confidence in the Shadow Dorset Council cabinet – on the basis that he considered they had failed to keep a promise to find ways to involve Parish & Town Councils.

(iii) He reported that he had been considering the options for the format of this year’s Annual Parish Meeting. The purpose of the APM, and its legal requirement to hold were clarified. In a subsequent discussion amongst members present it was suggested that it takes the form of a visual display in the library of activities of the council in the past 12 months, which is then used to stimulate a period of public comment, suggestions and questions. Action: Cllr Bush to speak to the librarian about a possible booking for this on Sat 20th April (display for week 15th-20th).

6. To receive and note the content of the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee meeting on 13th February 2019 (for purposes of report only). It was RESOLVED to receive and note these.

7. To receive and consider a report on Sports Club Governance.

A copy of the report prepared by Cllr Webb is attached at appendix 2 to these minutes.

8. To receive and consider a report into progress towards CiLCA qualification for the Parish Clerk. (for the purposes of report only).

The Parish Clerk reported that has portfolio of evidence has been completed, was informally assessed by a qualified CiLCA trainer, and has subsequently been submitted for formal assessment.

9. To receive a summary report of the meeting between Cllr Huggins, the Parish Clerk and a representative from Dorset Community Action.

Cllr Huggins drew attention to his report, which had been separately circulated to all members and a copy of which is associated at appendix 3 to these minutes. He pointed out that the email to members sent on 23rd February also carries a large number of supporting documents which members may like to examine at their leisure. Cllr Huggins remarked that the meeting had provided less advice than was anticipated on the matter of public consultation, but included a great deal of information and suggestions on sources of funding for projected and initiatives of various sizes.He referred to a specific point about the desirability of capturing the details of volunteer hours and other contributions in kind for each initiative because this can be included in grant applications to help demonstrate community support and contribution to such initiatives. Some discussion about possible ways to capture such data and it was noted that there is no ready-made mechanism, but that each initiative lead would be best placed to initially gather such material.

10. To consider a grant application from Purbeck Citizens Advice Bureau concerning local CAB sessions offered locally to residents of Lytchett Matravers (email to council members 11th February 2019). It was RESOLVED to approve the payment of this; and also to advise the Purbeck CAB that in future years this matter will be treated as a simple request for the payment for a service, payable on receipt of invoice.

11. To consider a proposal for the relocation of the twinning association plaque.

The Parish Clerk reminded those present that it had previously been agreed that the Twinning Association be offered the opportunity to associate their plaque with a healthy well-established existing tree on council land rather than to attempt a second replacement of the failed planting at the Recreation Ground car park. The Parish Clerk then reported on the Twinning Association’s request that the council consider meeting the costs of:

(i) The work involved in relocating or replacing the sign from the car park.

(ii) Replacement of the plaque itself with a new one which also bears the Twining Association’s logo graphic.

It was RESOLVED respond to the Twinning Association by suggesting that they request assistance with funding this through the Council’s grant process.

12. To consider request for quotes for dropped Kerb to widen MUGA entrance.

It was RESOLVED to take the following two steps – which are required before any planning application can be drawn up:

(i) Cllrs Bush and Huggins to visit the site, do the necessary measuring in order to then draw up a detailed specification for the proposed work.

(ii) Parish Clerk to approach DCC Highways to clarify exactly what the process is for applying for a dropped kerb.

13. To receive and consider a report of the Parish Council Awayday.

A copy of the action list prepared by the Parish Clerk is associated at appendix 4 to these minutes. The Chairman requested that all members review this and confirm by email to the Clerk that they will progress the items identified as theirs. The Clerk will then update the list a recirculate it to all members. It was noted that some items were not specifically tagged to individuals, so members are also asked to consider appropriate ownership of these.

14. Receive and consider a report on the liaison with the DCC Ranger.

A copy of a report on this meeting prepared by Cllr Bush is attached at appendix 5 to these minutes.

15. Receive and consider a proposal for joint Lytchett Link/Parish Magazine collaboration. Cllr Barker clarified that the Parish Magazine team’s projection of total cost for a run of 1600 with the incorporation of 1 x A3 colour sheet would be £864 per issue, which is an increase of £569 per issue. It was agreed to seek comparison costs by testing this with Mr Taylor who may be able to consult the printers he used for the Lytchett Link. In the meantime, members were asked to consider the above proposal, together with options for where the colour pages should be positioned (i.e. outside cover or centre pages). Actions (i) Members to consider this and be ready to feed back. (ii) Parish Clerk to approach Mr Taylor regarding printing costs for Lytchett Link

16. To receive and consider the content of reports from the leader of the Working Groups as follows:

Topic Working Group Update
Village Centre High Street Shared Space Options are awaited from Cllr Carswell regarding the Tesco safety issues.
Rec ground pathways Cllrs Bush and Carswell plus a local volunteer cleared a sample section of the path down towards the site of the former pond adjacent to Eldons Drove.
Rec Ground ball court Please see Cllr Huggins’ report at appendix 6 to these minutes.
Rec Ground bollards / dolly posts Please see Cllr Huggins report at Appendix 6 to these minutes.
Eldons Drove Lane An updated plan is expected from Mr Morgan.
DCC Transfers Youth Hall Nothing to report.
Library Nothing to report.
Astro Expansion The scrub clearance work is almost complete. The proposal at item 12 to these minutes is also related.
New Sports Field Nothing to report.
Village communications Broadband improvement Please see Cllr Huggins’ report at appendix 6 to these minutes.
Mobile Signal Please see Cllr Huggins’ report at appendix 6 to these minutes.
Neighbourhood plan Purbeck Local Plan Nothing to report.
Transport links Huntick Rd Cycleway Please see Cllr Huggins’ report at appendix 6 to these minutes.

At the PDC Planning Committee of Feb. 27th, Cllr Bush requested that a condition be added to the application for the developer to widen the already planned pedestrian path from 2m to 3m to allow for future use as a cycle path. Since the application was deferred, this will be followed up with the PDC case officer.

17. To resolve to approve the following payments already made:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4051 SLCC CiLCA registration 350.00 0.00 350.00

It was RESOLVED to approve the above payment.

18. To resolve to approve the following payments due:

Inv To Whom For What Net VAT Total
4052 T Watton Clerk’s salary – February (12 equal monthly payments by SO) 883.15 0.00 883.15
4053 DCC LGPS pension contrib February 2019 350.56 0.00 350.56
4054 T Homer Handyman duties, January 2019 225.00 0.00 225.00
4055 Idverde Ltd Cemetery maintenance – January 2019 303.49 60.70 364.19
4056 Idverde Ltd Rec ground football pitches grass cut 11/01/19 85.00 17.00 102.00
4057 T Watton Office expenses reimbursement 144.06 7.53 151.59
4058 Churches Fire Security Ltd Inspection and service of fire equipment at Club Hall 84.50 16.90 101.40
4059 D & P Warr Hedge trimming – Eldons Drove and allotments 150.00 30.00 180.00
4060 Starboard Systems Ltd (t/a Scribe Accounts) Accounts software – annual licence 347.00 69.40 416.40
4061 A Cottman Reimbursement of expenses incurred 24.38 6.09 30.47
4062 Borough of Poole Clearance of vegetation at Library walk, add soil and seed. 500.00 100.00 600.00
4063 SSE Car park lighting 4.85 0.24 5.09

It was RESOLVED to approve all of the above payments.

19. To note any training undertaken by members or the Clerk in the past month. The Parish Clerk reported that he had undertaken the Scribe accounts package training.

20. To note any decisions and / or action taken by Parish Clerk under “Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014”, Part 3, Paragraphs 6-10, Record of Decisions and Access to Documents.

There were none.

21. Correspondence.The Parish Clerk referred to the correspondence from PDC Planning regarding an amendment to the site layout for the proposed re-development of the former RBL club (6/2018/0645). This had been circulated to members in advance of the meeting. However, the plans provided, and those published on the planning portal, do not give adequate indication of what, if anything, has been changed. Consequently, the Parish Clerk was asked to feed this back to PDC Planning accordingly.

22. To note date of next meeting and items for future agendas.

The next Full Council meeting is to be held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 27th March 2019 at 7pm.

The meeting closed at 21:35

Annotated by/on …………………………….. Signed by……………………